• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ValkyrieRising

Valkyrie Rising - Still Figuring It Out

Hello fellow Rebels. I am Valkyrie Rising and this will be my second challenge. Im still trying to figure things out, about myself and Nerd Fitness, so I figured this was a good place to start. I'm working hard on preparing for the year ahead but with not a lot of down time between X-Mas and New Years I had some issues trying to decide what my second challenge would be. What are my goals. What am I doing. I keep wanting to do all the things but I have to take it slow and easy due to some health issues I'm still working with and working on. So I'm keeping it simple for one more challenge to try and ingrain in my brain the habits my body needs. 

Main Goal: To return to the healthy state of being I was in 3 years ago.

I don't want to lose a set amount of weight or be able to lift a certain amount of weight or run any races. (Yet) I just want my body back to feeling healthy as it was 3 years ago before cancer. This means getting back into eating healthy instead of just eating whatever is easy or quick or you can choke down without being sick. (Im pretty sure Im a giant mashed potato after 3 years of alot of mashed potatoes). Im barely into my 30's, I want my health back. I want to feel good walking up stairs and running and hiking and going back to Crossfit and eating good food that tastes good. But this is a process and it took 3 years to go from feeling good about myself to WTF BODY stop doing that to me! So to get to this goal here are my challenge goals.

Goal 1: I will sleep a minimum of 6 hours a night. 

I learned the hard way in my previous challenge that if I don't get sleep it ruins my chances at achieving my other goals. Im a zombie, my body breaks down. I can barely manage to get through a work day because my body is still in recovery mode. I'm still recovering from anemia that put me in the hospital with multiple blood transfusions as a side effect of chemo and cancer. So not getting sleep when running on an exhausted body already just compounds the issue. So the key to making sure my other goals are met, which in turn works towards my main goal, is getting a good amount of sleep at night. I probably need 8 but Im not too horrible with this. However with finally being back at work Im noticing a pattern of not getting to sleep as early as I used to so want to keep that from becoming a bad habit.

Goal 2: I will plan my meals and prep them ahead of time every week so I can bring them to work with me and avoid bad for me food and meals.

I did this last challenge and it worked well once I got the hang of how it works for me. Im going to keep it up this challenge because I want to make it a habit and not a chore. Right now Im struggling to find delicious foods that dont bore me every week. Last challenge I think I had Harissa Chicken with chickpeas for 15 days in a row. So Im hoping this will help my branch out into new areas of cooking again while working to keep my calories and processed foods under control. I relied on convenience foods a lot during chemo treatments when I could eat and so I became too dependent on takeout, Grub Hub and stuff out of a box or can.

Goal 3: Healthy Mind and Body needs a healthy environment. I need to clean my house.

So my house isn't horrible. However trying to take care of myself and my home I had to make choices. At one point my closet rod fell and (Im ashamed to admit) I was too weak to lift it back up so alot of my clothes stayed laying on my closet floor. My clean laundry is piled on the guest room spare bed and when I need to get ready for work I go in there and pick through and run them through the dryer to get rid of wrinkles. My dishes get washed but sometimes I dont unload the dishwasher for a day or two.  I have wood floors downstairs but upstairs is carpet and Ive been avoiding trying to drag the vacuum upstairs so the carpets are probably not in the best of shapes. In other words the house isnt a mess but its a mess. So Im going to clean one of the big rooms each week and one of the little rooms each week. Big rooms: Kitchen. Living Room. Bedroom. Master Bath.  Little rooms: Guest room. Dining Room. (Just because I havent used it for anything in like..2 years so its clean just unused and dusty.) Guest bathroom. Half bath. Theres one room however that needs to see the light of day. It needs scrubbing from top to bottom, cleaning, airing out with fresh cold winter air. The computer room where I have lived for the last few years and existed. Its been my salvation. Playing games, talking to my online friends in games and through Discord. Wow, Destiny, Elder Scrolls. The fantasy world helped me forget the reality and made things easier but it needs to be returned to it's cleaner state. Bookshelves are empty from where I took books out and then let them pile on the floor. Cords are a mess from getting a new rig and not making it nice and neat behind my desk. New consoles means theyre all just stacked on top of each other, not good for heat issues and such I know. This is a big project so one week it will just be the computer room/3rd bedroom. 

So those are my goals. A little simple but with the start of the New Year my goal is keeping the healthy habits Ive started so they stay just that. Habits. Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all. Oh, and just like last time.

image.png

• Like 6

YOU, I VERY MUCH LIKE YOU TOO! 

This is a great looking challenge that covers all bases. Here to watch you get back to you. Happy new year, I hope 2018 is freaking awesome to you! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, deftona said:

YOU, I VERY MUCH LIKE YOU TOO! 

This is a great looking challenge that covers all bases. Here to watch you get back to you. Happy new year, I hope 2018 is freaking awesome to you! 

Aww, thanks. Though I think I should add another mini goal in there to stop biting my nails. Ah well, too late now. These are my goals. there are many like them but these are mine.

• Like 2

Welcome to the Rebel Guild!

2 hours ago, ValkyrieRising said:

I keep wanting to do all the things but I have to take it slow and easy due to some health issues I'm still working with and working on. So I'm keeping it simple for one more challenge to try and ingrain in my brain the habits my body needs. 

This is definitely the way to go. Even without health issues, it's a lot easier to build up habits when you're only doing a few things, and not all the things. Slow and steady. :)

Good luck with your challenge!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

Welcome to the Rebel Guild!

This is definitely the way to go. Even without health issues, it's a lot easier to build up habits when you're only doing a few things, and not all the things. Slow and steady. :)

Good luck with your challenge!

Thank you! Glad to be here. And thats what Im hoping. Even if it takes me twice as long to get things done it still gets them done. So it may take two challenges for one goal. At least I meet the goal!

• Like 2

Hello fellow stalker. Would be a shame if I were to... find you... or something.

9 hours ago, ValkyrieRising said:

Goal 3: Healthy Mind and Body needs a healthy environment. I need to clean my house.

I have no idea if this will help you or not but my sister swears by Fly Lady - http://www.flylady.net/ to help her with managing to keep her house clean. I've just had a glance over it and it's probably something I will pick up in the future as well.

Good luck with your challenge.

*scary voice* I'll be watching you.

:P

• Like 2

Well I wasn't even a full 24 hours into this challenge and already messing it up. I didnt even try to go to bed last night until 1115 and was up looking at my phone until 1230. Then had trouble getting comfortable and staying asleep. I'm lucky if I got 4 hours last night. This isn't the most auspicious beginning to a challenge. New rule to help with sleeping. Bed by 10pm. No phone in bed. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ValkyrieRising said:

Well I wasn't even a full 24 hours into this challenge and already messing it up. I didnt even try to go to bed last night until 1115 and was up looking at my phone until 1230. Then had trouble getting comfortable and staying asleep. I'm lucky if I got 4 hours last night. This isn't the most auspicious beginning to a challenge. New rule to help with sleeping. Bed by 10pm. No phone in bed. 

Don't worry about this one bad result - it's general patterns overall that make the difference, not individual results. You have good ideas on how to make this right so as long as you follow this, last night's result will forever be an outlier having little effect on the overall picture. You've got this! 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, deftona said:

Don't worry about this one bad result - it's general patterns overall that make the difference, not individual results. You have good ideas on how to make this right so as long as you follow this, last night's result will forever be an outlier having little effect on the overall picture. You've got this! 

Yeah thats what Im planning for. Just a pain to be all like "I got this, this is going to rock. New Year off to great start....conk, trip over the curb before I even start my hike kind of thing." Oh well, tonight is a new night!!

• Like 4

Don't think at this as a mess up, but a slip :)
I found it easier to ease me into sleep pattern, so if one night I was up until 12.30, the following would be ok until 12 (earlier if I'm tired), then 30m earlier and so on. This means that it's not too hard on your mind and body to get back to a routine.
Otherwise I start going to bed early but not sleep and then get a habit of not sleep for hours anyway (what a waste of my life!)
  • Like 2

Congrats on beating cancer! :D

Planning out meals ahead of time makes it a lot easier to then stick to later, when you're actually cooking them and hungry. I try to not have junk food in the house during the week since if it's not there, I'm not inclined to leave home to go in search of it. 

And cleaning goals, for me in particular, are hard, so good for you!

Also, I did a Valkyrie challenge back in the summer of 2016. So, good luck fellow warrior woman badass!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ValkyrieRising said:

Yeah thats what Im planning for. Just a pain to be all like "I got this, this is going to rock. New Year off to great start....conk, trip over the curb before I even start my hike kind of thing." Oh well, tonight is a new night!!

It happens to me all the time. (Both in challenges and literally.) I think it's actually harder to get started than it is to keep the momentum going (providing nothing stops your momentum). 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2018 at 8:53 AM, ValkyrieRising said:

All my hike's start with some kind of sluggish stumble

consider it a consequence of the Try. 

I look forward to reading your first Non-newby challenge!

I'm pretty much stumbling all over for the sleep thing but it is not my fault. I swear. After Monday nights debacle with sleep I made a new rule of only half hour on my phone if Im in bed before 10pm. No phone if its after 10pm. So I've been getting showered and ready for bed between 9 and 10 every night and then curling up to sink into heavenly sleep....wth is this dream/nightmare nonsense waking me up every 2 hours. Why am I worrying about paying utilities, they're all automatically debited from my bank account and were taken out on the first. Why am I worrying about what to wear to work tomorrow in my dreams and waking up! WHY AM I WAKING UP EVERY 2 HOURS!! Argh. Ahem. So yes. Sleep is eluding me like a bitch. I may have to find a way to taze it into submission. Stalk the sleep beast good ole elephant gun style. Maybe even throw up a hunting wabbits sign. *grumbles incoherently*

On the cleaning front I've been taking a little time each day to do small things in the two rooms on the list this week. I fixed the rail in my closet, picked all the clothes up off the floor and washed them. Folded all my laundry on the bed in the guest room.I dumped a ton of comet all over the fixtures in the master bathroom. Scrubbed them cleans. Sprayed the shower with the bubbles stuff and let it slide down the wall then scrubbed that. Saturday Ill vacuum. Mop. Organize, put shoes back on shoe racks, wipe down mirrors, etc etc. Doing little bits here and there has made the weekend work a little less overwhelming. 

Food front. I'm still prepping Sunday nights for food for the week ahead. Working on my list as we speak. The struggle is just trying to find easy, healthy delicious food prep meals. This is a struggle. I get bored after a week to two of the same kinds of food. But I want to keep it simple and not have to clean the kitchen top to bottom every Sunday after prep because I've used every dish in my cupboard. I'm trying to find sites online but a lot of them all have the same kinds of ideas and flavor profiles for food prep. Ill have to scour the Google net this weekend to try and uncover different ideas.

Theres an end of the work week update, well see how I finish out the week as a whole with my elephant gun to sleep's face tonight and tomorrow. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ValkyrieRising said:

On the cleaning front I've been taking a little time each day to do small things in the two rooms on the list this week. I fixed the rail in my closet, picked all the clothes up off the floor and washed them. Folded all my laundry on the bed in the guest room.I dumped a ton of comet all over the fixtures in the master bathroom. Scrubbed them cleans. Sprayed the shower with the bubbles stuff and let it slide down the wall then scrubbed that. Saturday Ill vacuum. Mop. Organize, put shoes back on shoe racks, wipe down mirrors, etc etc. Doing little bits here and there has made the weekend work a little less overwhelming. 

Food front. I'm still prepping Sunday nights for food for the week ahead. Working on my list as we speak. The struggle is just trying to find easy, healthy delicious food prep meals. This is a struggle. I get bored after a week to two of the same kinds of food. But I want to keep it simple and not have to clean the kitchen top to bottom every Sunday after prep because I've used every dish in my cupboard. I'm trying to find sites online but a lot of them all have the same kinds of ideas and flavor profiles for food prep. Ill have to scour the Google net this weekend to try and uncover different ideas.

Nice work on the cleaning front!

RE: Food I'm not sure what types of food you're eating but I make a nice chili that I can give you the recipe for. It only requires one chopping board and one large stock pot and a knife to make.

It's not like a sloppy chili, more of a meat stew really.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2018 at 10:18 PM, pureleeawesome said:

Nice work on the cleaning front!

RE: Food I'm not sure what types of food you're eating but I make a nice chili that I can give you the recipe for. It only requires one chopping board and one large stock pot and a knife to make.

It's not like a sloppy chili, more of a meat stew really.

Ill take the recipe, I love any and all new recipes to try out and experiment with!

On 1/6/2018 at 2:39 PM, fleaball said:

r/EatCheapAndHealthy/ might have some ideas for you? There's also r/foodprepsunday. 

*headdesk* Reddit! Of course theyll have recipes I can use. Derp derp derp moment for me. Thank you!

• Like 1

Okay, first week update on how it's all going

The sleep beast eludes me still. I have tried an elephant gun, tazer, and am now debating if I try sniping him from a distance that may prove more effective. In other words the minute I set this challenge I suddenly stopped being able to lay down at 10pm and sleep like the dead. Im now up thinking, debating, remembering, being all brain-y active. My mind is like....youre getting your endurance back. You should start working out. Hike all the things. And Cross Fit is waiting again. What about a nice boot camp to jump in. NO BRAIN. NO. Im still not allowed to workout per my Cardiologist. Still too much tachycardia to contend with. Okay, food! Let's discuss your food! You should try emeals! Paleo Leap! Ooooohhhh, get one of those home delivery meal kits like Green Chef or something! NO BRAIN. NO. Sigh. So those are my evenings.

2/7 for this week on sleep. LAME ASS BRAIN

Meal prep is going great. Still boring but this DERP BRAIN read my comments and realized she had not scoured the redditverse for goodies like she should have. So Im going to steal borrow reddit recipes to try out. Hopefully this will give me some interesting new recipes to pack for lunch and try out. Not much to update here.

7/7 on the food prep.

Cleaning! Oh my the cleaning. 

So I was doing little bits here and there each day with Saturday set aside for the whole deal. I had fixed my closet. Hung up or folded clothes. Set up my shoes rack(s). (Like 4 or 5 of them. Dont judge my shoe fetish!)Sprayed some junk on my wall in the bathroom shower and tub. Let the bubbles do their thing. And come Saturday I scrubbed, mopped, vacuumed and dusted. I cleaned, washed, organized and folded. And my bedroom and master bathroom are clean and cleaned out and it feels so amazing! I left the windows open even though its freezing and snowy outside and let the cold air freshen all the things up. Now I need to get some new scentsy scents to melt in one of my warmers on the nightstand that doesnt hold my current books. Keep everything all spiffy and clean and sorted.  Only issue is I suddenly realized Ill be cleaning each week but I also have to keep up with the cleaning I already did. Damn those cleaning needs.  Im afraid to start in the kitchen. Its clean but I want to reorganize and scrub and....oh my.

2/2 for this. 

So other than sleep this has been a decent week. 11/16 is still a D plus however. Sigh. Work done still there must be. Yes. Good thing I haven't started my character sheet yet.

viking-shieldmaiden-level-1-22990777.png

That involves getting the office/computer room sorted so I can dig through my books and see how I want to set that up. DnD style. RIFTs style. GURPs. Tabletop. Alllllll the choices.  On to week 2! Forward!

• Like 3

Boo, brain! How dare. 

As far as the cleaning goes... sure you have to keep up with it, but doing so on a weekly (or whatever) basis won't take nearly the amount of effort that it does the first time you do something. Unless you're supposed to scrub the shit out of everything weekly and I missed a memo growing up. But even if you do, doing it weekly will result in far less buildup than however long it hadn't been done before. So either way, you're eventually making it easier on yourself. You got this!

Ugh, bad weather is bad. Sorry this wasnt up earlier. Between work and weather havent been home much beyond sleeping. Had to stay at work overnight one night the snow was not being nice. Anyways. 

Just a very quick update because yeah, this is overdue. 

I have been getting sleep just because Ive been doing so much Im home and exhausted and passing out. So I can give a 7/7 for this because there's not other option. Sometimes taking away options is a good option. Usually I have better things to say but even now Im dead and waiting for more snow to dump on my face so just trying to get my ducks in a row to work from home the next day or two.

7/7

Food prep was a little less on the ball this week. Ive only been able to prep 2-3 days out because Im working so much and exhausted. Ive managed to get 5 days out of 7 sorted and the other 2 I worked hard to semi stay healthy and picked up some ready made options at whole Foods. Mostly Paleo salmon and some other stuff. Took advantage of their food bars to grab some food to take to work, make some big ass salads and have a refrigerated choice at home after work. It beats fast food and binging but not the best choices. 

5/7

I cleaned my kitchen but not the guest bathroom. I literally took everything out of every cupboard, wiped down all the shelves, then organized and put it all back in a way that I want. My kitchen was a organizational nightmare from the last time my ex Future mother in law decided she would help by rearranging all the things her way. Thankfully I never have to deal with that again and can organize myself the way I want so BAZINGA! Ahem. The bathroom. Meh.

1/2

Total score for this week is 13/16. An improvement from last week. Ill take it. Ill be able to prep the next day or two more food and better choices and clean since Ill be at home and not work thanks to snow drops of doooooooom! Or you know...snow.

• Like 3

Sounds like things are going well, all things considered! You've had a pretty productive week. 

53 minutes ago, ValkyrieRising said:

Sometimes taking away options is a good option.

This is my life right now. Taking away options can be very very helpful. 

Food prep was a little less on the ball this week. Ive only been able to prep 2-3 days out because Im working so much and exhausted. Ive managed to get 5 days out of 7 sorted and the other 2 I worked hard to semi stay healthy and picked up some ready made options at whole Foods. Mostly Paleo salmon and some other stuff. Took advantage of their food bars to grab some food to take to work, make some big ass salads and have a refrigerated choice at home after work. It beats fast food and binging but not the best choices. 

It may seem like getting premade food from the grocery store is a failure, but as far as "not the best choices" goes, I'd say give yourself some credit for making the best of bad options. Of course you ideally want to be making your own food yourself, but sometimes life does get in the way, and you still went for a healthier option than junk food when you were down. I'd be proud of that. 

I cleaned my kitchen but not the guest bathroom. I literally took everything out of every cupboard, wiped down all the shelves, then organized and put it all back in a way that I want. My kitchen was a organizational nightmare from the last time my ex Future mother in law decided she would help by rearranging all the things her way.

Serious congratulations on this one. Doing a deep-clean is great regardless, but especially when you're correcting an organizational wrong... it must feel so much more comfortable to have your kitchen organized the way you want it instead of being a constant reminder of a person you'd probably rather not think about, and annoying to boot. Way to go! 

Keep up the hard work, Valkyrie! You've got this challenge in the bag. 

Urgh, snow so bad I have to stay overnight at work is one of my worst nightmares - I'm there enough as it is and if I'm sleeping there I'd want paying overtime which obviously wouldn't happen. 

But it does sound like you're keeping everything ticking along nicely despite the circumstances so yay for you! 

I survived the snow. Not the flumonia deathitis it brought with it. Unfortunately with my still compromised immune system I caught it all. Got sick, sicker, really sick and spent 6 days in the hospital and currently curled up in bed trying not to cough or sneeze or move or breathe. The challenge took an arrow to the knee! But....tis only a flesh wound! I shall continue forth and try to finish it out strong....or at least not with a whimper.