• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

So, um, hi there! //waves// I’m KayLou. I joined the Nerd Fitness Academy a few weeks ago, and have been pottering about since then - getting my character set up, starting a few (very small!) epic quests, and doing a lot of reading.

I’m a middle-aged nerd of the bookish and artsy type, with a strong suspicion of the outdoors (which I hope to change!) and an abiding love of knitting, cats and tea (not always in the same order).  I am a fan of books and film -- all kinds, but particularly classic and speculative fiction and cosy mysteries -- as well as pretty much everything space opera.  I’m also into board games, stationary and old stuff in general.

One of the things that appeals to me most about Nerd Fitness is the four-week challenges, so I'm really looking forward to starting my first one!

My Main Quest for this challenge is simply to get moving again. I'm calling it The Finnegan-Begin-Again Quest - first, because this is a kind of reboot/refresh of some things I was doing (not very well) last year; and, second, because rhymes make me smile.

These are the fitness challenges I've set myself for the next five weeks:

(1) Walk every day for at least 15 min.

(2) Complete a bodyweight workout (starting with NF bodyweight workout #1) 2 times per week

(3) Track my daily progress in my fitness planner

In addition, my Level Up My Life challenge for this session is:

(4) Find a housework app or system that helps me integrate chores into my daily routine (vs. the "big clean")

Thanks for reading - and lots of positive mojo to my fellow rebels!

KayLou

• Like 5

So many things to say!! First...what is speculative fiction? What is space opera? 

I like that your goals are simple and doable. After 4 weeks, you should have them easily mastered and incorporated into your routine. Keeping up in that way, by the end of all the challenges for the year, you will be on a whole new (sustainable) track! That is what I'm going for, too. Sustainable! Maintainable! (There's a rhyme for you. :) )

Not sure if this app would meet your specifications for daily chores...or if you have a quirky sense of humor that thinks swear words are hiliarious...but I have used UFYL over the years with much success and hilarity. I also like to use UnStuck on particular days when I can't seem to get the thing done...whatever "the thing" is.

What are you using as a fitness planner?
Happy challenging!!!

Examples of speculative Fiction: 1984 or Terminator

Example of Space Opera: Star Wars

There's lots more of either kind, but I'm going to examples that are known outside of the inner circle here. :)

I'm also searching for a task/chore tracking app, so I am eager to see how that particular challenge goes... I'm hoping what you find will help me as well.

@KayLou! Favorite Agatha Christie mystery?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scalyfreak said:

Examples of speculative Fiction: 1984 or Terminator

Example of Space Opera: Star Wars

Ooooh. I googled it a bit. I know of all of the subcategories under that but had never noticed that broader umbrella category. Learning is fun! As for space opera...well...that I have heard of. Lol. I must have just forgotten. As I spend more time in sign language, I start forgetting English more and more. 

PS I love me some Agatha Christie! Mysteries and psychological thrillers are my favorite types of books (aside from fantasy and sci-fi, of course).

Good morning!

How's it going with the walking, have you tried the Bodyweight routine yet? How did you find it? I rapidly discovered I cannot do a push-up (even a knee push-up) but someone suggested doing them off the kitchen counter and that was loads better, be interested to hear how you're finding it :)

13 hours ago, KayLou said:

In addition, my Level Up My Life challenge for this session is:

(4) Find a housework app or system that helps me integrate chores into my daily routine (vs. the "big clean")

Look for FlyLady! http://www.flylady.net/ She doesn't have an app (though there is an unofficial one) but her website has the most amazing organisation and routine on it, it's just not interactive. I'm currently in the process of making it into lots of beautiful spreadsheets :) Ohh I just seen there is an app but for iphone only in the US, not sure where you're based!

Hi all! I'm still figuring out how to reply to specific posts, so just a general response for now. (I'll get there -- I'm slow, but persistent!)

Thanks for all the suggestions to check out Fly Lady. I'm familiar with UnFuck Your Habitat, but haven't tried Fly Lady yet. I heard she can be a bit much, but it sounds like there's some good stuff to be had! Also thanks to The Real Syl Mil and RES for the suggestions to look at UnStuck and the article on chore apps! I'll post my findings on this thread for anyone who's interested -- and please feel free to share any other intel!

On 1/1/2018 at 12:29 PM, The Real Syl Mil said:

What are you using as a fitness planner?

For those who are interested, I'm using a dot grid Leuchtturm1917 (the one a lot of people use for bullet journalling). It currently has a page for "My Big Why," statistics (measurements, my BMR/RMR, etc.), a monthly activity tracker and monthly quest log. I'm having trouble posting photos, but will do so as soon as I figure out why they're not loading properly. [technology...we loves it! yes we does!!]

18 hours ago, Mab said:

How's it going with the walking, have you tried the Bodyweight routine yet? How did you find it? I rapidly discovered I cannot do a push-up (even a knee push-up) but someone suggested doing them off the kitchen counter and that was loads better, be interested to hear how you're finding it :)

10 hours ago, karinajean said:

how do you like the NFA bodyweight workouts?

Well, I didn't even make it to push ups, if that makes you feel any better, Mab! I'm part of the NF Academy, so I did their Baseline Test, which put me at Level 1 (a.k.a. barely functional! ;-D). I'll start my bodyweight routine tomorrow (Wednesday), with the plan of alternating my "A" and "B" workouts three times a week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday). Which is a roundabout way of saying, "I'll let you know tomorrow!"

On 1/1/2018 at 5:59 PM, scalyfreak said:

@KayLou! Favorite Agatha Christie mystery?

I have a soft spot for 4:50 From Paddington. Miss Marple rocks!

• Like 1

Just tried to upload my "Big Why" page and it's still not working. Same error as before, so that rules out the possibility that it doesn't like multiple photos in a single post. Sorry folks...I'll keep trying...

I love how your journal is turning out already! I just started my bullet journal for this year too.... how do you like the Leuchtturm1917? I saw super mixed reviews about ghosting that scared me off but I can't help myself with those gorgeous bright colors (the journal I picked is great but a very drab brown).

Btw, what sort of error are you getting uploading images? Could they be too big?

Looking forward to seeing more from you this challenge!

The easiest way to share images in you post is use a third party hosting site like Imgur to upload them to, then copy and paste the direct link here, (it should end in either .gif or .jpg) it will automatically insert the image...like this

XjRUsOr.jpg

You don't have to use the one for Bulletin boards, it won't work right here

On 1/1/2018 at 11:21 AM, KayLou said:

I’m a middle-aged nerd of the bookish and artsy type, with a strong suspicion of the outdoors (which I hope to change!) and an abiding love of knitting, cats and tea (not always in the same order).  I am a fan of books and film -- all kinds, but particularly classic and speculative fiction and cosy mysteries -- as well as pretty much everything space opera.  I’m also into board games, stationary and old stuff in general.

Hey, we have lots in common!! I, too, am bookish and artsy, with an affinity for stationery, cats, tea, and knitting! 

tenor.gif

Your goals look great, and never you mind about starting at Level 1 - where you start does not matter half as much as the fact that you're starting, and you've got solid plans for your next steps. You're doing great!

On 1/2/2018 at 7:32 PM, KayLou said:

For those who are interested, I'm using a dot grid Leuchtturm1917 (the one a lot of people use for bullet journalling). It currently has a page for "My Big Why," statistics (measurements, my BMR/RMR, etc.), a monthly activity tracker and monthly quest log. I'm having trouble posting photos, but will do so as soon as I figure out why they're not loading properly. [technology...we loves it! yes we does!!]

I love the Leuchtturm1917 journals!! Someday I will treat myself to one!

On 1/2/2018 at 7:36 PM, KayLou said:

Just tried to upload my "Big Why" page and it's still not working. Same error as before, so that rules out the possibility that it doesn't like multiple photos in a single post. Sorry folks...I'll keep trying...

Uploading photos directly into post spaces is tricky - I typically post my pictures somewhere else (Instagram, a private board on Pinterest, etc.) and then post the link to the photos here. 

... as @RES just said. Whoops.  :) 

Anyway. I love your goals, and I'm excited to follow along with your progress! Welcome to the Rebellion!!

• Haha 1

On 1/2/2018 at 5:32 PM, KayLou said:

Thanks for all the suggestions to check out Fly Lady. I'm familiar with UnFuck Your Habitat

Checked out this website and absolutely love the concept. Have you tried their app?

RE: Christie

To this day I still have a soft spot for And Then There Were None because it does things differently. Cliche, I know. The Body in the Library is another favorite.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2018 at 12:34 AM, Reinfire said:

how do you like the Leuchtturm1917? I saw super mixed reviews about ghosting that scared me off but I can't help myself with those gorgeous bright colors (the journal I picked is great but a very drab brown).

I like them a lot, but ghosting definitely is an issue if you like to use darker inks. The colours suck me in every time, though. My fitness journal is a very classy robin's egg blue. Have you thought about putting a cover on your journal, if the colour isn't doing it for you? I understand from my stationary peeps that covers are not all that hard to make, and you can switch them up when you get bored.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RES said:

The easiest way to share images in you post is use a third party hosting site like Imgur to upload them to, then copy and paste the direct link here, (it should end in either .gif or .jpg) it will automatically insert the image

Thanks for the tip, RES! I'll set up an Imgur account. I have a feeling I'm going to be posting a lot of pictures here!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, arcelas said:

Well, you sound awesome! Looking forward to cheering you on.

Thanks! I just checked out your challenge thread, and you seem pretty awsome yourself! Looking forward to hearing about how your quests are progressing!

8 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

RE: Christie

To this day I still have a soft spot for And Then There Were None because it does things differently. Cliche, I know. The Body in the Library is another favorite.

I almost picked The Body in the Library myself. It's my second favourite...well, maybe tied with The Mirror Crack'd and The Moving Finger. It's funny, but I never remember Christie wrote And Then There Were None -- probably because I first saw it as a movie (the 1945 version with Barry Fitzgerald) when I was a kid. I have the same problem with How the Grinch Stole Christmas. I saw the Boris Karloff animated version before I ever read the Dr. Suess book, and the written version still doesn't seem quite right to me -- even though I adore Dr. Suess!

So -- progress update! [accountability is a good thing! accountability is a good thing!]

A bit of a bad news, good news scenario yesterday.

The bad news is that I didn't do my scheduled bodyweight workout. However, on the good news side, I shovelled the packed snow off our driveway and walkway (about 25 min effort) since the deep freeze broke (briefly) yesterday, and did 15 min. walk (albeit at 10 p.m., in my pyjamas, around the house...), and kept up with my simple core exercises (hollow bodies, Russian twists).

I am rescheduling my bodyweight workouts to Thursday and Saturday this week, so I can stay on track with my challenge. That will still allow me to get on to a M/W/F schedule next week. Tracking is going well so far (will post pics now that @RES and @SkyGirl have pointed me in the right direction)

Today, if I have the time, I'll go check out the UFYH app (thanks for the heads up @scalyfreak), and Fly Lady site.

Onward and upward!

• Like 1

Hey hey lady, 

Get you with the good progress! Shovelling snow - brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr is all I have to say. What on earth are hollow bodies and Russian twists?!

Give yourself a gold star for maintaining your momentum, looking forward to your pics :)

Okay...here we go with attempt #2 to upload photos. This is my "Big Why" page:

ygZnsGI.jpg

And my Stats page:

vSjQ9xK.jpg

And my Monthly Tracker:

AVjLUng.jpg

Okay, that worked MUCH better!! Woo hoo!!!

• Like 5