Walk to Mordor and Back Again (2018)

Walk to Mordor and Back Again (2018)

Whether you have been trekking to Mordor for years or just looking to get started, you are welcome to join us at anytime.

All miles/kilometers count. You decide how you want to accumulate distance. This is your adventure!

(ex. my journey has included walking/steps, hiking, running, biking (distance/3), and swimming (distance*3))

Begin Your Journey Now!

SPREADSHEET

Open the spreadsheet, click on the 'Sign Up' tab at the bottom of the page, fill in all fields labeled in yellow, and begin tracking and logging your distance in the appropriate monthly tab.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” - Bilbo Baggins

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the New Year!

I let injury and health issues dominate and derail my 2017. As I continue to recover, I have decided to not let these issues prevent me from doing the things that I love anymore.

My immediate goal is to cut my internet usage to next to nothing, and in turn get more sleep, return to a healthy lifestyle, and be more productive.

I plan to get out much more for hikes and strolls with my daughter, and really hope to start running again.

That is my start and I hope to achieve so much more.

In regards to the Walk to Mordor challenge and spreadsheet, let me know if you have any questions or find any errors.

Hope you have a fantastic year and good luck on your quest to destroy the One Ring!!

• Like 2

Yay!! I was waiting for this :)
As it happens I started 2018 getting very sick and have to postpone my start. I am definitely starting the 10th, so I put down that, but I will change if I get better.
I think I will count walk and eventually run (I started in December, my plans were to run today but gastroenteritis kicked my ass and I spent all day in bed)

• Like 2

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

I'm in.  Restarting with a new year.   Came up just a little short for 2017, need to work a little harder and make it all the way back to Hobbiton for 2018 (need about 1 more mile per day average)

• Like 2

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

I just signed up. I was keeping track at home, but I think this will keep me honest as well. Thank you for setting this up. Now to see how far I can get this year. My numbers will be a bit low until I go back to work. Then hopefully I can make decent progress.

• Like 1

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

I'm in.

So since I signed up today, I start tracking today.. right?

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

I would say count yesterday too if you have the numbers...  I found this late last year but my FitBit had my numbers for the whole year so I just added them all in late LOL.

• Like 3

I do! FitBit knows the miles from yesterday. I will add them and count yesterday as my first day. :)

• Like 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

Hello group.

oh my

I must apologize. I didn't see you guys there on the Last months challenge forum

so I made my own.

hmm. that's a little awkward

Nonetheless I'm "IN" in a big way.  I'm not sure I'm walking far enough (per day)... but I want to give it a serious go

• Like 1

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

No problem.  The PvP forum didn't get moved to the new challenges yet...  not sure who has the authority to do that (might be a guild leader, might be higher).

• Like 2

Also, I know from figuring it out last year to make it to Mordor and back to Hobbiton needs a daily average pace of roughly 9.4 miles per day.

• Like 2

Hello Fellow Walkers!

dsc_9809.jpg

Apparently I darted out of town 3.14miles

hiked in the heavy brush for another 3.98miles

and ended up with steady daily walking around 15.35 miles

"Frodo climbs the hills looking down upon the water. he old way of life seems to disapear in the broad forest.  He Just crossed Stock hill.  on hills he's wandered all his life... he feels as a stranger; a sense of adventure and anxiety to the most familiar of places.  Nonetheless, they start to sing!  its dispels the gloom of the night"

(and forgive me for having TWO mythical tales taking place in middle earth. but a little observation shall reveal a very different type of middle earth in my personal account of Skip.)

this tale is the more serious and much longer voyage.   AFTER all its No easy walk to middle EArth. 

3405.5miles in 52 weeks?   = 65miles a week

:(  I don't think I'll make it (at this pace)... nonetheless. Maybe I can plead for a longer flight with the eagles.  After all on mile (ish) 1700.  I Will  (hopefully) save the entire middle earth.

and hobbits are little...

Spoiler

Ha! is this too Nerdy?  I'm sure I'm creating an awful first impression. yet I am what I am.  good Luck and I will check in regularly

BTW... Descriptions of at what distance major things happen can be found here:

Bagend to Rivendell:   http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Tools/Bag_end/bag_end.html

• Like 5

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Hide contents

Ha! is this too Nerdy?  I'm sure I'm creating an awful first impression. yet I am what I am.  good Luck and I will check in regularly

You obviously have not read my challenge threads... :P 

• Like 4

BTW, a little background makes me feel better

5 brave walkers made it to Mordor Last Year, but NONE made it home.

sadly Shire is Toast!  ( I don't think anyone made it back in time)

SO hey 3400 miles a year apparently is really really far!  so my rough calc is that I am ON pace for the mountain.

I also can't imagine not picking up the pace towards summer.  in plans go right, I will do a single 100 miles walk in 2 days in early June.  that should take our my little avatar a good distance.  

@scaleyfreak  ; I will  check you out. coming out of the long holiday I have lost track of friends ( a little).  its good to walk with you....

BTW is there some kind of List of People who have made the walk?

So glad to have found this! I just started a training plan to get myself back into half marathon/trail running condition, so this fits in perfectly with my new year plan! I have a FitBit and will be recording a combination of distances between those steps and known hiking/running distances. 

Away we go!

Hobbits-Toast.gif

• Like 2

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

4 hours ago, CoolDad67 said:

I'm a new member and I'm in on this.  I'll be back-filling to January 1.

I'll be using a combination of my FitBit steps / miles, Cardio Workouts (e.g., elliptical, treadmill, bike, etc.), and MapMyFitness for other exercise (e.g., biking, hiking, canoeing, etc.).

47 minutes ago, IslandGirl_Becks said:

So glad to have found this! I just started a training plan to get myself back into half marathon/trail running condition, so this fits in perfectly with my new year plan! I have a FitBit and will be recording a combination of distances between those steps and known hiking/running distances. 

Away we go!

By all means add me on FitBit, can always use more friends there.

• Like 2

I've written about Last nights adventure elsewhere, but suffice it to say that the open woods is very adventurous this time of year.

the Chill, snow and long nights make it very Unlike the first bit of Frodo's adventure

I propose a meaningless swap with mileage near weather-top.  Unless Its surpassed last night epics adventure could (will?) measure up to mile near 241 (the attack at weathertop) or 380 (aching and injured near the top of a demanding hill).

• Like 1

In on this! Got a fitbit for Christmas so now I can more consistently track. Will be using distance from the fitbit. My goal is to make it to Mordor this year, maybe next year I'll try for there and back again! 

• Like 3

"You can have what you want, or you can have something better"

Character Page                Current Challenge    

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

PACT challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

To set an example for my patients and my family.

To no longer feel inferior or held back because of my weight.

To gain more confidence and be proud of my appearance.

Starting Weight: 290 lbs

Main Quest: Reach my Ideal Body Weight of 190 lbs