Walk to Mordor and Back Again (2018)

I got in a semi-ruck yesterday in the snow. It's hard not to get out there when the trail leads you like this! 

20180218_145534.jpg

• Like 4

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

17 hours ago, IslandGirl_Becks said:

I got in a semi-ruck yesterday in the snow. It's hard not to get out there when the trail leads you like this! 

20180218_145534.jpg

So beautiful! And here I am stuck staring out a window at our boring apartments or, much worse, at a white wall. At least I have my Hobbit audiobook to listen to! :D 

• Like 3

Start Weight:  226.5   |   Goal Weight:  180   |   Current Weight:  220

Shy Takes A Second

Walk To Mordor And Back Again 2018

Note to self.. check out Darebee!! Other cool stuff to check out, Zombies! Run!

the trip had been Long and arduous

as Strider had said the Last bridge seen clearly yesterday from a high; seemed to suddenly swarm into view, startling and scaring the hardy hobbits.

the MIghty ranger felt that they perhaps felt genuine peril as they approached the narrow place;   an obvious and dangerous place for an ambush- so he exerted all his skill in approaching it.

as for the hobbits. well. hobbits are light on their feet even when not trying to be overly quiet.  --

the group of travelers were extraordinarily quiet; mere shadows in the woods.

and then;  just about to make the final approach- the group halted under cover.  strider now made the final approach to the mighty span- creeping shadow to shadow.  the sharp eyed hobbits lost him for seconds.  all was tense.  could they be assailed or tracked somehow to the little hole they sat in?

this was all in vain; strider came back- on the Road with no attempt to be stealthy. a most intense feeling of relief spread through the whole group and as they gathered their stuff; strider showed them the beryl token that had eased his mind.

... Hard walking and perhaps climbing lay before them, yes. but not today.

lastbridge425.jpg&client=cbc79c14efcebee

Spoiler

technically I'm still a few miles short of the bridge. 7.8miles specifically

so this will be passed tomarrow!   but I had the time to pen up the improv today....

• Like 2

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

My fitbit stopped charging, so I really don't know what I've done this week. I don't think it's much!!

• Like 1

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

this is a double post; as the "ford of Bruinen" is nothing to take lightly.  the Nazgul expect to win.

they.... must..... not

Glorfindel Visited Today!

latest?cb=20160411132454

magnificent, strong and ... so beautiful

I didn't know a creature could be so powerful, yet compassionate, caring and helpful.

so anyways, here's the amended plan

If i CAN get to the ford of bruinen by Monday I will be welcomed at the gate of rivendel in great honor.  having outpaced the mighty nazgul and there stolen rohan mounts.

thats not likely though.  Here is what we expect... I am 33miles from the ford.  I can get to 15 miles on sunday!  (if I do a decent night or morning walk)...

Wednesday I probably arrive l with all the nazgul on my heels but with all the power that Elrond can give.  the fight will be sore but I will prolly swoon and make the 8 miles by Friday.

Next weekend; it will be as if weeks worth of deliberations are done in mere minutes.  the trip to Hollin is very,very,very long.  the longest segment of the trip.

anyways, if I can't get to the ford by Wednesday- things are worse!

Tuesday Elrond will have to deal with a coordinated attack from the mountains.  Sauron is like that- dang is he evil!  and don't forget all that time swooning in the mountains; the nazgul found old allies.

... but ah. hey we have a Wizard! and one of the most wise, powerful elve(s) in middle earth.  I might be half dead after I agree to save middle earth from the curse of the ring next Monday (courtesy of a $65 registration fee)-- but I'm confident I will make it.

as for my ruck. "meh".  I may need a new day pack. it was cheap and it doesn't feel good.  15# shouldn't be so hard I think?

[Edit: Monday Afternoon/  I am currently 8.2  miles from the ford.  so a relatively reasonable 2.5 Hour walk would be enough to sneak through the ford with no sign of a nazgul....

OTOH;  I thought I had one chasing me down this morning- it was Terrifying!*   shadows look like ringwraiths and vice versa. this horse if very jumpy but  boy is it fast!

Strider & the elf are currently scheming about it now.  Elfrond's forces are NOT in place.  however if the lords of the Night can't make the ground from their long trip from the troll fels ?  idk what is about to happen.  nobody does ]

* for more details of what bothered me check my challenge thread.

• Like 2

this is It!

1342245415_7ffae111f6_z.jpg?zz=1

literally now only 1.3 miles away.

Elrond's army is setting up a trap.  Gandalf has arrived.  Us hobbits will uneventfully cross just after the lunch meal and there shall be the Battle of Bruinen Tonight;

when the "witch king" shall learn that he arrived too late in these parts and cannot withstand an assualt by the might of Elrond; a wizard and the power of the charmed River.

well... really the power of the whole watershed.

there is great vigor in the waters that flow into this valley.(or so gandalf says)

ofc you should never underestimate the witch king; but we will be very well guarded.

PS... I shall prolly not write until rivendell or even Later!

maybe we can call this done; and just head back to shire?

:hope

Pippin

• Like 2

Greetings & glad to join the fellowship! I'm now 208.73 km to Rivendell.

• Like 2

Level 4 Padawan

STR 4.75 | DEX 5 | STA 8.5 | CON 4.25 | WIS 4.25 | CHA 2.75

Challenge #1, #2, #3, #4, #5 , #6, #7 | Battle Log | Epic Quests | STRAVA Profile

! Join the Rebellion (NF Club) On Strava !

>>> On 8/11/2017 started Walking to Mordor, threw the Ring into Mount Doom on 26/5/2019 and now heading back to Hobbiton >>>

'We all long for Eden, and we are constantly glimpsing it: our whole nature is still soaked with the sense of exile.' - J. R. R. Tolkien

from the pleasing, relaxing house of elrond  (and to the newest walkers)....

welcome to the fellowship.

if you have data from your watch/fitbit  feel free to enter in all miles from the beginning of the year.  as for me;  what do they say of this place?

"you can't easily measure time, here." or maybe they say that of lothlorien?

at any rate; it Will take a long while to reach Hollin.  per the mileage the trip to hollin is one of the longest uneventful walks in the whole voyage.  I will definitely have another improv post and pic at hollin and I welcome any of the walkers to do the same.

my advice is ; make the voyage your own and enjoy it.  let it motivate you to get out more.

• Like 3

It' spring.  It's snowing.  

(I need to sit down and update the spreadsheet .....)

• Like 3

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Hi. Pleased to join the walk to mordor, amongst many friends I hope. To my surprise I found I am already 1/3 of the way to Rivendell if I count since beginning of January this year. Just over 300 miles til I get there!! Lets hope it gets a bit warmer
Yay!! welcome!

I too have forgotten to update here in a while. Two snowstorms (one gave a red alert for the whole country) slowed me down. They expect white Easter too :(
As for now I won't reach Rivendell in time, but could be there by the end of April. Hopefully in summer I will regain pace :)
  • Like 2

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

well certainly there are many friends on the road.

wow this has become a fantastically successful year for this. well met!

of all the activities I monitor here at NF I watch the mordor walk the closest.  I love it !

I love middle-earth...

I'm not sure I would like an Orc or a goblin- but hey if gandalf & aragorn is around

it would be something to experience

• Like 2

Soo, today I reached another milestone - Trollshaws!

5ab2d2295f71f_Capture_2018-03-21-21-37-10.thumb.png.5b1965841d01d10bc092431624e18615.png

(This is from the app Walk to Mordor - you must manually enter the distances but it has much more milestones so it keeps me moremotivated when Rivendell seems too far. :) The app doesn't have very high ratings, but it worked good for me - it's pretty basic, true, but serves its purpose.)

Here is how it looked when I reached Trollshaws:

5ab2d2f558f72_20180321_2032182.thumb.jpg.3412a31b3922b994133da87833d015f4.jpg

And this is the same thing from the other side (looking out my bedroom window):

20180320_080249_HDR.thumb.jpg.12b452700051eae58b5a322d3dbf910f.jpg

@TGP Couldn't agree more - I also love Middle Earth (and Aman, for that matter!), Aragorn and Gandalf; and also not Goblins and Orcs. :D Would be cool to set foot into many of those places. Did you hear about the upcoming LOTR series? Gotta admit, I was hoping for a Silmarillion series. But better Third Age (LOTR age) series than nothing. :)

• Like 3

Level 4 Padawan

Challenge #1, #2, #3, #4, #5 , #6, #7 | Battle Log | Epic Quests | STRAVA Profile

>>> On 8/11/2017 started Walking to Mordor, threw the Ring into Mount Doom on 26/5/2019 and now heading back to Hobbiton >>>

'We all long for Eden, and we are constantly glimpsing it: our whole nature is still soaked with the sense of exile.' - J. R. R. Tolkien

21 hours ago, MattSkywalker said:

Did you hear about the upcoming LOTR series?

Hum.  I have mixed feelings about it, having loved the books and only sorta enjoyed the movies ....

• Like 2

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

12 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Hum.  I have mixed feelings about it, having loved the books and only sorta enjoyed the movies ....

Yeah, there's risk that it will be GoT-ized. I certainly hope that will not happen. What gives me hope is that it'll be a cooperative effort by Amazon, Tolkien Estate and HarperCollins - so it should make sense that they don't screw up the continuity and spirit of the legendarium. But we'll see.

• Like 1

Level 4 Padawan

well, let me go on record as saying

that the LOTR is beyond any comparison my Fav book.  I LOVE it!

but the movies; and spacially the 2& 3- Suck!

they totally ruined major characters.  in other movie collaborations like Harry Potter they were much more faithful to the story and to the character

and it makes those movies a different yet complimentary experience.  kind of like another way to understand the story.

but the only good thing to come of the movies is that the actors that play; frodo, sam, gandalf, and strider- particularly are imagined when I read the book.

generally the acting is good. the script was trash.   they were nicer and better with the hobbit.

I think for an avid fan another new movie in middle earth is even an anxious thing.  will they screw it up?

how is everyone doing?  we've had one storm after another in many places worldwide. it doesn't make for high mileage.

but many of you guys now have strider to guide you;  buckle down and walk hard.  the fair house of elrond is worth the effort.

Yay, yesterday I reached another milestone - I met Glorfindel (or Arwen in the movie version :rolleyes:).

5abff28d77d7d_Capture_2018-03-31-22-29-10.thumb.png.46c1af99f9a4ff822708fa216346ff1e.png20180330_190824_HDR.thumb.jpg.d19de59e1df9144d0d9b547f28567837.jpg

Now on the horse. Only some 80k to Rivendell!

• Like 2

Level 4 Padawan