Walk to Mordor and Back Again (2018)

On 3/23/2018 at 7:42 AM, TGP said:

but the movies; and spacially the 2& 3- Suck!

Yea, after we left the movie theater after the second film, my daughter broke down, crying because it was such a disappointment.  We'd read the books to her, and we all felt like we'd been hit by a bus after that one.  I've watched them again at the remove of many years; and while I don't hate them, I still can't say that I like them.  

• Like 2

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

On 3/31/2018 at 11:47 PM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Yea, after we left the movie theater after the second film, my daughter broke down, crying because it was such a disappointment.  We'd read the books to her, and we all felt like we'd been hit by a bus after that one.  I've watched them again at the remove of many years; and while I don't hate them, I still can't say that I like them.  

TT is definitely the worst, while I think FOTR is the best of movies (but one does have to get over the differences from the book to enjoy it).

Level 4 Padawan

STR 4.75 | DEX 5 | STA 8.5 | CON 4.25 | WIS 4.25 | CHA 2.75

Challenge #1, #2, #3, #4, #5 , #6, #7 | Battle Log | Epic Quests | STRAVA Profile

! Join the Rebellion (NF Club) On Strava !

>>> On 8/11/2017 started Walking to Mordor, threw the Ring into Mount Doom on 26/5/2019 and now heading back to Hobbiton >>>

'We all long for Eden, and we are constantly glimpsing it: our whole nature is still soaked with the sense of exile.' - J. R. R. Tolkien

I can watch FOTR with almost an amount of enjoyment.  I love the scenery.  the actors are believable and memorable.

sometimes I dislike certain clips I strongly dislike ex. arwen's race with the nazgul.  (Never happened; 'fake' race).

but other times certain clips are epic and bring out the FOTR storyline well.  for example; how can forget Gandalf screaming "you cannot pass"?

its so good its been parodied a 1000 times.

TT/ROTK are so horrible I've only seen them a couple times.  but I read the book regularly; I've literally drowned out the horrible storyline with an accurate account from the books and the only thing that is left is the actors.  when I think of strider/aragorn I see Viggo Mortenson; from his introduction at bree to his crowning moment in Minas Tirith.

its the same with all the other characters.  ofc in the books there is more interesting and important characters that got skipped.  bombadillo (notably).  he is just a figment of my imagination.....

but altogether I read this book often.  I wouldn't try to count how many times I have read it all the way through.  and that helps with the awful movies...

I will surely not watch them again.

-----

mid segment update.

wow oh wow; Holin is SO FAR.!  I am at 660 miles and still there are 3-4 days away.  the book mentions the length and severity of the walk.

but I was unprepared for it.

ty for keeping the thread alive.  there is little to say outside of milestones. and I Don't want to lose the feeling that I am retracing steps of their epic journey.

• Like 3

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

Sometime today I will officially Pass Hollin

"  at that point we stared at the distant mountains and note how few birds there are, when the land should be full of happy songbirds.

latest?cb=20110811065048

the red book says little of our early travels in this region and I cannot add much to it.  I recall it being so cold and so far!   you have to remember that still we were getting use to the long distances of the wild and craving the comforts of elrond's house.  None of us knew what perilous adventures we were to endure later on.  we seemed like snails in the wasteland; and far away from adventure of any kind.

I think I may have learned some sword-skill from boromir.  but its fuzzy. maybe not...

[this is an account from pippin's memory many years after the events of the destroying of the one ring]

anyways; this is the longest length of nothing in the walk.  updates from here should be more frequent.

• Like 1

My FitBit app tells me that I've walked 5,000+ miles since April of 2014.  It's truly amazing.  I HAVE been there and back again.  Looks like I decided it was a nice vacation ....

One thing I liked so much about the LotR books (and the Hobbit) was the sense that they were truly traveling an immense distance.  

• Like 1

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

REDHORN pass

redhorngate.jpg

I found Pippin in his old age sitting quietly by a fire.  I asked him quietly to comment on the events of the destroying of the ring.

"yes, Redhorn pass! wicked caradhas... Oh I remember it so well"

he eyes sparkled and he seemed as if his memories were vibrant and clear; like he was just there yesterday

"ofc it was horrible, mountainous treacherous ground. the kind of place were one false step meant death and our pony walked trembling with fear and very slowly.  I had no idea of the danger when the snow started to fall.  we'd seen almost nothing like that in shire; but within hours it was horrible; a white blanket over our eyes- and wind raging and the whistling over a million sharp rocks.

that when we heard the voices.  so faint, but so clear.  in no understandable words; falling and rising with the wind, almost an eeary singing.  and soon they were marshalling the wind like they were spellingcasting it.

my heart chilled with fear.  the sad silence of gandalf sank my heart into my stomach; even he the mighty wizard had no control of it!

I can't express how awful things seemed; even a fire did not warm me.  I did not expect a foe beyond gandalf's great power.  but we say so many on the voyage.  so many awful horrible moments.  but some great one's too!"

I loved Pippins expression as he said this.  it was so wise and sage.

• Like 2

Updated the spreadsheet... And while there, inspired by  [mention=71183]TGP[/mention] I did a bit of estimates: if I keep my current Dublin pace (in Italy I have a car, so I am slower, that affected the first week in January) I can reach Mordor by end of December 2018.
Aiming for:
Rivendell - 5/4/2018
Lothlorien - 9/6/2018
Rauros - 26/9/2018
Mordor - 31/12/2018

I put the dates on my calendar, as a reminder [emoji3]

I arrived to Rivendell today, with 10days delay. Even considering we had snow, I wish I had been faster.
Heading toward Lothlorien in spring hapefully will make me faster.
My ankle is screaming to slow down and either walk or run or dance, but I cannot listen as I am enjoying them too much!
  • Like 1

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

I am just joining today. I just had heart surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago. Just got a Fitbit 3 days ago. I figure this is a great way to keep me motivated! When I can get to the point where I can say that I did indeed walk to Mordor, I will be thrilled. We have a framed map of Middle Earth up in our kitchen to use as inspiration. I look forward to getting to talk to everyone on this quest. :)

• Like 2

Vamp my big suggestion that I"ve been sharing all along is to make the mordor walk like one of your own.  I like to imagine and "add" to the story, like I've been doing above.  but if you find that the voyage is real enough with a map- thats great!

the real purpose ofc is to just look for opportunities to walk where you are and add those miles.  Walking and Hiking is such Good exercise!!  

ofc in you situation I would carefully ask for and keep the advice of your physician.  Jason

6 hours ago, TGP said:

I like to imagine and "add" to the story, like I've been doing above.  

I've been imagining and adding to the story with what you've been doing above. :) 

I am 53 miles from Rivendell! Maybe... maybe, by next weekend!

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

MORIA

mines_of_moria___lord_of_the_rings_tcg_b

this time though I will skip the storytelling.  I was doing my own exciting adventures when I made the mileage to cross the doors.

I Hiked 12 1/2 though the night; and as my headlamp pierced the broad empty woods there was a "moria-like" feel to it.   Perhaps the way to put it, was that the journey 'felt' real WITHOUT imagined narrative. that's nice.  stricking, then,  that it was a Huge, hard and quite uncomfortable walk.

monday finds me a dozen miles away from the last bridge.

I'm not sure, though, how quickly I will pass that distance.  heavy rain is happening.  the next couple days might show minimal mileage.  somewhere for the sake of my program I have to start walking again.  towards the end of the week, maybe.

• Like 2

On 4/15/2018 at 9:15 AM, Vamp459 said:

I am just joining today. I just had heart surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago. Just got a Fitbit 3 days ago. I figure this is a great way to keep me motivated! When I can get to the point where I can say that I did indeed walk to Mordor, I will be thrilled. We have a framed map of Middle Earth up in our kitchen to use as inspiration. I look forward to getting to talk to everyone on this quest. :)

Welcome!!!  The FitBit is a great tool that let's you get in "a few steps" here and there, and before you know it, you've done the distance.  

• Like 1

I'm IN! Very excited for this challenge! My plan is to run/walk/hike the distance. Current goals for activity are daily walks (necessary because the doggo and my daughter loves walks), x1 weekly hikes (I live in the Pacific Northwest and it's just criminal not get out into the beauty), and at least x2 week runs (preferably w/ family). I've got a fitbit but don't really wear it save for working out/walks because my daughter tries to pry it off while I'm wearing it?

Getting outdoors is easier now that the sun is out! Spring is sweeping in! The gray wall is lifting from the PNW! :victorious:

Does anyone else love the LOTR audiobooks by Highbridge? I listen to the Fellowship all the time as background noise around the house.

• Like 2

Daily Battle Log, Sweat like an Orc, Live like a Hobbit, and Look like an Elf

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

7 hours ago, ladyofthebog said:

I'm IN! Very excited for this challenge! My plan is to run/walk/hike the distance. Current goals for activity are daily walks (necessary because the doggo and my daughter loves walks), x1 weekly hikes (I live in the Pacific Northwest and it's just criminal not get out into the beauty), and at least x2 week runs (preferably w/ family). I've got a fitbit but don't really wear it save for working out/walks because my daughter tries to pry it off while I'm wearing it?

Getting outdoors is easier now that the sun is out! Spring is sweeping in! The gray wall is lifting from the PNW! :victorious:

Does anyone else love the LOTR audiobooks by Highbridge? I listen to the Fellowship all the time as background noise around the house.

Welcome!!!  I haven't listened to the LoTR books at all.  Wow --- that would take how many hours???

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TGP said:

I'm making So much progress these days!  10miles/day on average.  Mt doom perhaps before labor day now. woot!

Congrats!  You're really kicking this walking adventure!!!

• Thanks 1

Gasp!

already to Lorien.  or is it Lothlorien?

seems that the name gets shorter year by year.  (sly? reference to the book)

anyways.  We're pretty much exactly where our intrepid voyagers have their blindfolds taken off and a most incredibly beautiful place is revealed....

Cerin amroth. -- for those guys that want an Exact location. --

the only problem is ... I'm walking so much faster than I can update either spreadsheet- that... well I'm not sure I'm exactly there.  

anyways. it was a beautiful night walk just a few minutes ago... a stunning Lyrid meteor streaking in the Milky way not far from Jupiter 

so Cerin amroth it was

a339bcb93faf37cc5bd97897a263d124.jpg

• Like 2

I accidentally passed Rivendell without realizing it, and I'm on my way to  ......  Lothlorien!!!

• Like 2

I am almost Certainly leaving Lothlorien,

edad4a9ebbb8d8583b6972444d58cf62.jpg

is that whats bugging me?!  idk but I agree with gimli I will never call anything beautiful again except it be her gift.

boats are a lovely way to travel the rugged and treacherous lands south;

but horribly tedious...

this is ok. I kind of am prepared for tedious.

btw, its an unofficial event. but can you believe I've (almost) walked 1000miles since New Years day?!  woot! that seems like a long ways....

• Like 1

Wohoo! Just passed Rivendell! Next stop, Lothlorien.

• Like 2

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

On 5/2/2018 at 2:16 AM, Diadhuit said:

Wohoo!! well done! I find Lothlorien quite far, and walking toward it, but seems so far! I'm glad to have a companion on my way :)

Wow - alot of us are on this leg of the journey!

• Like 1

I'm training for a 10k (in 1.5 weeks!) and will finally be arriving in Rivendell today! I've heard that Tolkien based his description on the valleys in Switzerland that go up into the Alps. I have wonderful memories of wandering the hills above Interlaken, with the sounds of waterfalls and cowbells... 

tolk-rivendell.jpg

• Like 1

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs