Walk to Mordor and Back Again (2018)

Grrrr that feeling when the "miles to go" column read 3.0, and suddenly it reads 460.8. Well, I guess I better suit up... 

(new shoes. I have new shoes arriving today!)

• Like 1

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

On 5/17/2018 at 4:47 PM, IslandGirl_Becks said:

(new shoes. I have new shoes arriving today!)

YEA!!!!!

What kind?

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

1 hour ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

What kind?

They're Topos, and they're perfect for the trails that I run around here. Last fall I accidentally ended up hiking back-to-back 13+ mi days in my Reebok Nano 4s, and had the thought "why can't I find running shoes that fit like this"? I tried Altas, but they didn't feel quite right. I put the Topos on and they fit perfectly - snug in the heel and midsole (I can run up rocks slanted 30* sideways without sliding in the shoes) and  perfectly shaped in the sole so my wide toes are happy even when I've been pounding them for several miles! These are the ones I got. 

• Like 1

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

11 hours ago, IslandGirl_Becks said:

They're Topos,

Woot - REI carries that brand!

• Like 1

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

Finally made it to Rivendell!! Don't know if I'll make Mordor this year, but it's nice to make the first checkpoint! 

• Like 2

"You can have what you want, or you can have something better"

Character Page                Current Challenge    

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

PACT challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

To set an example for my patients and my family.

To no longer feel inferior or held back because of my weight.

To gain more confidence and be proud of my appearance.

Starting Weight: 290 lbs

Main Quest: Reach my Ideal Body Weight of 190 lbs

On 5/24/2018 at 9:03 AM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

new shoes

Am I showing my age by wanting to make a spitting sound whenever I hear "new shoes"? Any first incarnation Twin Peaks fans out there?!

giphy.gif

• Confused 1

*Member of 2018 Hogwarts House Cup Championship Team*

If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep walking, eventually you'll make progress. -Barack Obama

Anyone who moves on, even a little, walks like Jesus on the water. -Antonio Machado

On second thought, I probably should have introduced myself before diving in with an arcane reference!

I had no idea this page was here until just moments ago - a pleasant surprise.

I started tracking my steps in 2012, long before I'd ever heard of Nerd Fitness. Since then I've "walked" across the continental US, the Appalachian Trail, Camino de Santiago, and altogether, about a quarter of the world's circumference. Mordor is my current trek, 791 miles in, meaning I should be at Lothlorien this month or next (I tend to track monthly).

I'm looking forward to going back to read everyone's post, just in case I happen to bump into you while on the road. I'd rather say "hi" before you pull your sword! 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep walking, eventually you'll make progress. -Barack Obama

Anyone who moves on, even a little, walks like Jesus on the water. -Antonio Machado

On 5/24/2018 at 6:55 PM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

REI carries that brand!

And it's the Memorial Day weekend sale!!

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2018 at 8:56 PM, IslandGirl_Becks said:

And it's the Memorial Day weekend sale!!

That's actually dangerous news.  But we'll see.  Tomorrow, we're going to the new Star Wars movie.  Mixed reviews, and I'm having a hard time the new actor as a young Han Solo, but I can't miss it.

Well, I made it to the Lothlorien 'burbs...only 10 miles out of town. I may have to track sooner than one month, just so I don't blow through town!

giphy.gif

• Like 2

On 5/25/2018 at 6:43 PM, Mahalak said:

On second thought, I probably should have introduced myself before diving in with an arcane reference!

I had no idea this page was here until just moments ago - a pleasant surprise.

I started tracking my steps in 2012, long before I'd ever heard of Nerd Fitness. Since then I've "walked" across the continental US, the Appalachian Trail, Camino de Santiago, and altogether, about a quarter of the world's circumference. Mordor is my current trek, 791 miles in, meaning I should be at Lothlorien this month or next (I tend to track monthly).

I'm looking forward to going back to read everyone's post, just in case I happen to bump into you while on the road. I'd rather say "hi" before you pull your sword! 

giphy.gif

Wow! very Good.  I'm been hiking pretty hard for an upcoming event;

welcome to the walk.   we're probably not that far apart.  on the River;  just nearly floated down sarn Gebir...

• Like 1

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

On 6/4/2018 at 7:22 AM, TGP said:

floated down sarn Gebir...

Not sure "FLOATED" is the right word there .....

fearless-in-whitewater_h.jpg?itok=Tt1kz3

• Haha 3

On 6/7/2018 at 8:01 PM, Mahalak said:

Ding! Ding! Ding! Passed through Lothlorien and on my way to Rauros! 

Congrats!!!

talk about missing a few checkpoints!

I have seen the statues at Argonarth, Broken the fellowship,, Captured Gollum, Entered the Dead Marshes, Seen Dead faces and came to the marsh  ends...

'the ashy, dust choked hell that exists about Sauran's abode'.  (I think the books says it even better, but I don't have a copy handy)

and all that pretty much offline.

If you didn't know I was busy doing a 100mile hiking challenge.  and along with a few other steps-

I have done 156.5miles of hiking since I last updated my spreadsheet(at work) Tuesday

all that walking has brought me much closer to my goal- I now plan on destroying the ring by July 31st and being back at Minas Tirith by August 15.

not Quite sure when we get home, though?  let me get all my numbers entered and then I can figure that out.

-------------

PS.

on Saturday I had 100,667 steps.  how many people can claim to have gotten THAT many steps in one day? 

anyways. its seems pretty hardcore to me. glad I did it.

• Like 1

wow

I guess that will take awhile

--

i was only concentrating on the way there... but with the long walk back; it doesn't seem that this can be done by the end of 2018.

(not without some 158 mile weeks- yeah right  :) )

anyways projections are 4/19/2019.  that would be 16months to hike 3700miles ..

not bad.

13 hours ago, TGP said:

on Saturday I had 100,667 steps

Holy crap! Good for you!! You must have been walking from dawn til dusk! 

• Thanks 1

"You can have what you want, or you can have something better"

Character Page                Current Challenge    

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

PACT challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

To set an example for my patients and my family.

To no longer feel inferior or held back because of my weight.

To gain more confidence and be proud of my appearance.

Starting Weight: 290 lbs

Main Quest: Reach my Ideal Body Weight of 190 lbs

Late today (or Tomorrow) , I suppose we're stewing coney.

Mile 1523.

F1US8KEJ6WGM63X.LARGE.jpg

ofc; it might be easier to say that we're cooking rabbits.  same difference.

Gollum is too ungrateful here... we're going to Mordor, for pete's sakes.  wouldn't burnt meat be better than worms /bugs/whatever?

visiting the thread of a new walker was interesting timing.  (nostalgia)

as by my reckoning I just bolted out of shelob's cave.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRf8evWsMD4XomsiZpHb-7

without the bravery of Samwise and some good fortune; the story could've very well ended right on top of the haunted pass;

Cirith Ungol

as frodo deduces when he wakes up in that awful place; there would have been no story had Sauron recovered his ring at his East Ithilien doorstep

BTW;

sorry for all the chatter.  these are apparently decisive times for Frodo and company.  there are few mileposts, though after this.  Really I  could pretty much just walk till Mt doom.  in the book; it is all a tedious drudging kind of voyage from here.

I'm basically going to be poor Bilbo oversleeping and running out of his hole waving the contract and yelling "wait for me!" for the rest of the year, but better a late start than no start at all. Just joined NF and started my very first challenge to get up and get moving in general- 3404 miles probably isn't going to happen in the next four weeks, but it's a great long term goal to keep walking in mind and to keep me paying attention to how long and how far I go.

mordor1.thumb.jpg.1b3e6be3932310d1b8afcc7e97046791.jpg.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
On 7/3/2018 at 5:37 PM, Chleiti said:

I'm basically going to be poor Bilbo oversleeping and running out of his hole waving the contract and yelling "wait for me!" for the rest of the year, but better a late start than no start at all. Just joined NF and started my very first challenge to get up and get moving in general- 3404 miles probably isn't going to happen in the next four weeks, but it's a great long term goal to keep walking in mind and to keep me paying attention to how long and how far I go.

mordor1.thumb.jpg.1b3e6be3932310d1b8afcc7e97046791.jpg.

I just popped into the PVP subforum and discovered this thread. Dunno if I would have signed up if not for seeing that you've also just started the journey to Mordor. So thanks for the inspiration, let's see how far we get :)

• Like 2

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

”Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome.” [spoilers], The Book of Boba Fett