Walk to Mordor and Back Again (2018)

16 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

I just popped into the PVP subforum and discovered this thread. Dunno if I would have signed up if not for seeing that you've also just started the journey to Mordor. So thanks for the inspiration, let's see how far we get :)

Sounds good to me, we can meet at the Green Dragon and head out from there. 

tumblr_n6padjmoxS1r3wfheo1_500.gif

• Like 1

the Castle of Durthang doesn't get a lot of coverage in the book;

but meeting up with a crowd of orcs from this fortress on a road is one of frodo/sam's big trials.  In morgul gear they were assumed to be foot soldiers and pushed far beyond their limits.  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTiD5uTkTYX9BkaCHxcBky

I find the sparse text and the bleak description of their latter journey inspiring.  often we are capable of so much more than we think we can do.

this is my last update; until the moment when the quest is furfilled and the ring and frodo's finger finds its doom.

I'm satisfied that the 7ish mile per day pace will bring the ring to its destruction by the End of the summer....  as for what then; lets not hasten the trip.  its been quite the adventure!  welcome to all that are now on the journey; I see even more hobbits are on the road.  you Can do it!

• Like 4

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

YAY I did it!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTOP1Qh8O8Fsg_RuQMlhZ

JULY 25, 2018!

from walking the Bleak winter woodlands at night, to a dedicated hiking training program (as much as I could squeeze into a middle aged modern lifestyle) and by Long hiking challenges -most notably in my attempt to Hike 100miles in 48 hours....

all of these were put together; measured and recorded by my faithful Polar pedometer.

and this was all measured against an epic challenge;  from the Start of 2018- to by the end of the year, to duplicate the lengthy fictional voyages of Frodo the hobbit and to walk 1779 miles to destroy the "one ring"

and it is Done Today-Yay!

and it didn't even take the whole Year!  in fact, I've seen it done before the end of the summer and might get back mostways to shire by 2019.

I'm happy as a took visiting the Green dragon Inn, I am !

.... Here's to the new King ARagorn and the downfall of a mighty evil!!

• Like 2

Oh yeah. and Excuse me.

but I swoon as the volcano goes crazy around me and nearly suffocates me in Sulfuric acid fumes.

those Where-were-they-when-it-mattered birds are going to kindly safe our lives.

no, I'm grateful in all... but WHY couldn't they have more available earlier?

don't they realize how much EASIER they might have made the last many miles!?? Ha!  well explored plot hole of frodos,etc fictional voyage.

• Like 1

I think I'm going to hit Lothlorien today! If you were to eat something in the real world to celebrate your first bite of Lembas, what would it be? 

I have been trying to up my foot miles because of both things going on at home, and a hope that I can blast through an 18 mile hike in 1 day next month. The hike is in the North Cascades, which are currently fogged in by forest fire smoke (as most of the rest of the Western US is right now), but I'm really hoping to not have to put it off 'till next year. 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

Need to spend some time updating my numbers and see where I am...  I've been away from NF most of the year (no good excuse just laziness)...  but my FitBit still has all the numbers for me.

• Like 1

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

It opens for me, no errors.

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

Hey all!

I have been largely inactive on nerd fitness for quite a while now, outside of keeping the spreadsheet running for this forum. I wanted to offer the opportunity for more active users to be more involved. It has been awesome seeing so many of you keeping the forum active and adding to the story. I think it would make more sense for those more invested in the adventure and this forum to be the one to run the forum. I am also open to passing ownership of the spreadsheet to that person, in which they would be free to update or add any new ideas, if they choose. If no one is interested or able, I would be more than happy to continue to maintain the spreadsheet. I just can't promise much in terms of updates anytime soon. Let me know if you would be interested.

Great job to all of you who continue on your journey to destroy the One Ring!! Hope to meet you on your travels one of these days!

On 10/12/2018 at 12:09 PM, charlomechfry said:

I checked real quick to see if there was a problem with the spreadsheet, but could not find anything. Have you been able to access the spreadsheet yet?

still no access for me... I'll try it from a different computer... I always access from work and they may have changed their network restrictions.

Level: 2 Celt Adventurer

Str: 3 Dex: 2 Sta: 2 Con: 4.25 Wis: 4.75 Cha: 4

Challenges: 1 / 2

On 10/15/2018 at 2:32 PM, Harleytrypp said:

still no access for me... I'll try it from a different computer... I always access from work and they may have changed their network restrictions.

My work does that to me pretty regularly. I've pretty much given up on accessing anything related to file sharing from work .

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

On 10/19/2018 at 11:17 AM, scalyfreak said:

My work does that to me pretty regularly. I've pretty much given up on accessing anything related to file sharing from work .

yep, tried it at home, and have no problem... so much for updating it conveniently... home PC is a dinosaur.

Level: 2 Celt Adventurer

Str: 3 Dex: 2 Sta: 2 Con: 4.25 Wis: 4.75 Cha: 4

Challenges: 1 / 2

On 12/10/2018 at 1:54 PM, Ayrihn said:

Is this still a thing??? Will it be a thing for 2019??? I hope I hope I hope I hope?? 

well, there are a few people still  toiling away on the long path "there and back again"

but as for a New start in 2019... I guess.  how much interest is there?

please Post if you want a new mordor challenge to start on Jan 1 ,2019.

actually, now that I think about it... if I want to keep tracking my mileage through 2019 in a shared google spreadsheet (like we have)..

I (or someone) HAS to make a new 2019 spreadsheet.

so...

Yes!  definitely!!  it will still be a Thing in 2019.

someone will make a new spreadsheet.  I'll make sure of it.

if you want to begin a new Mordor walk that would be a good time to start.

----

also

if I read that right, @maegs  has completed her walk all the way to Mountain and back, a little before halloween 2018.  congrats!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, TGP said:

actually, now that I think about it... if I want to keep tracking my mileage through 2019 in a shared google spreadsheet (like we have)..

I (or someone) HAS to make a new 2019 spreadsheet.

so...

Yes!  definitely!!  it will still be a Thing in 2019.

someone will make a new spreadsheet.  I'll make sure of it.

if you want to begin a new Mordor walk that would be a good time to start.

----

also

if I read that right, @maegs  has completed her walk all the way to Mountain and back, a little before halloween 2018.  congrats!

Congrats @maegs!!

I am totally in for 2019!! With life as it is now, I probably won't make it there and back again as it will probably take the whole year just to get to Mordor, but what an AWESOME idea!! Thank you for building the spreadsheet, spearheading the coordination, spurring the imagination, and encouraging people to go out their door and step onto the road :)  I'm really looking forward to this!

• Like 2

My Epic Quest: Faith Conquers Fear

I do not plan to start a new topic. @TGP, or anyone else interested in keeping it going, you are free to use the spreadsheet for future challenges.

2019 SPREADSHEET

Hopefully I will figure out what I want to do with myself and join you later on.

Happy Holidays!

P.S. Let me know if you find anything that needs attention in the spreadsheet. I will be happy to help.

• Like 1

Have to finish updating my 2018 progress, but definitely in for 2019 :)

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

”Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome.” [spoilers], The Book of Boba Fett

On 12/13/2018 at 4:50 AM, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Have to finish updating my 2018 progress, but definitely in for 2019 :)

This. I'm behind on logging my progress... I will rectify this immediately!

• Like 1