Jump to content

NeverThatBored :: Fuck it | Dream Bigger


NeverThatBored

Recommended Posts

 

So. I'm not feeling very hype-y at all. My cat is sick and I'm really sad. But fortunately I thought through this challenge back when I WAS feeling more hype-y a few weeks ago. We all know that the key to success is doing the thing even when the hype is not there, so I decided to do the thing even though I'm not feeling inspired at all.

 

 

There are a ton of things I want to do. I feel like I've been slowly losing fitness for the last 1.5 years as I dealt with wrist pain and eventually surgery that prevented me from continuing with the stuff I was working on. Last week, I was finally able to do 3x10 pushups again, so I think my wrist is in a place where I can start doing a lot of the stuff I was working on again. 

 

But beyond bodyweight strength training, there's so much I want to do. A few of those things happen to be the things that you do in a triathalon - running, swimming, and riding a bike. I've had a secret desire to do at least a mini-triathalon for a while, and I feel like now is the time to start working on that more seriously. I've been working on running and have a million issues there. I HAVE a bike but mainly just wobble when I ride it. And I worked on my swimming skills with lessons this past summer, but I still haven't quite figured out how to breathe while I'm swimming. So in terms of dreaming bigger, being able to do all three of these things is a big effort. 

 

I'm in CA until Friday, and then I'll be back in VA. I don't really intend to start full challenge stuff until I've gone back to VA. 

 

Goals:

  • Do Adrienne's new 30 day yoga challenge in January 
  • Start a 30 day paleo challenge when I'm back in VA 
  • Take my bike to a bike shop for a tune up. Ride an exercise bike at least once/week until weather allows for outdoor riding. Explore options for things like local bike clubs.
  • Find a pool where I can go to practice swimming. Determine whether I'm comfortable working by myself or need a teacher to help me advance. Find teacher if needed. If not, practice at least weekly on my own one I've found a place that works for me.
  • Continue running but make it easy - just use the treadmill if I don't feel like dealing with the winter weather. Work on getting back up to 5K in whatever way agrees most with my legs. 
  • Continue doing 3x/week workouts. Maybe 2x bodyweight strength and 1x some local fitness class or bootcamp. Details may vary.
  • Do 1 small thing/week to connect with/ be nice to my father

 

  • Like 18

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

 

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Link to post

Yoga with Adrienne!! <3 <3

 

I feel you on the kitty troubles, it can be so emotionally draining I'm so sorry :( I lost two kitties last year after a lot of long term high-maintenance health stuffs with them so if you need to talk lemme know. 

 

Glad you're trying to ground yourself with some goals despite the lack of hype.  Sometimes a hardhat is what's needed, hype can come later.

  • Like 1
Link to post

Following! I've also dreamed of a one-day triathalon, for me it's the running that's scary.

  • Like 1

Feminist Ranger (she/her)

Based in Melbourne, Australia

Current Challenge: Emerald Eagle refills her cup (January 2021)
Instagram: @emeraldeaglenf

 

“I wish you would thrash him. He deserves it." She looked back at him. "I will one day, sir. I'm getting tired of falling down.” - Alanna: The First Adventure

Link to post
4 hours ago, Xena said:

Is this another short-term move, or will you be able to settle in a bit more?

 

It's really up to me, so I don't know! I'm heading back to my boyfriend's in VA and I haven't planned beyond that. I'm fairly sure I'll be there longer than 2 months this time. But I do want to spend more time in CA too. And I'm really tied up in knots at the thought of leaving my cat knowing he's sick. :(  

  • Like 4

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

 

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Link to post

So, the yoga challenge is already having complications. T____T

 

I signed up a while back when the True 30 day challenge was first announced, but I haven't started getting any of the emails. I signed up again and I'm hoping that will magically solve the problem. 

  • Like 8

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

 

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Link to post

Hey NTB, nice challenge. I like how a lot of the tasks tie into a single goal/motivation.

 

I've also been thinking about a mini-triathalon eventually (sprint I think the short ones are called?) 

 

Good luck with the 30 day yoga challenge, I signed up for the emails but I plan to do a few a week rather than the 'daily' push.

 

I had to "acknowledge" that I subscribed to the emails after I signed up - maybe that's preventing you from getting them? Or maybe check if the emails got routed to your spam/junk folder?

 

Also... following!

  • Like 1

2021 Reading Challenge | Walk to Mordor

 

 

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

Link to post

OH HELL YEAH YOU GOT THIS!!!!!  (there's a smol bit of hype)

 

Crossing all my fingers for kitty <3333 

  • Thanks 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

Link to post

 

I did a thing.

  • Like 8

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

 

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Link to post

Hello! Here and following. Your challenge title made me laugh and that video is hilarious. I'm so sorry to hear about your cat  :(  My last cat had a lot of health issues and it was hard. Sounds like he's staying with your parents, though? At least you know he's with good people who will take care of him.

 

I think you're right about the importance of doing the thing even when your enthusiasm is missing. Sometimes we need to manufacture our own enthusiasm. And a triathalon is a pretty badass goal. I've read a lot of inspiring triathalon stories, and they often feature people battling their way back from injuries, or looking for increased inspiration in their life, so maybe a crazy dream like this is just what you need?

 

On 1/1/2018 at 11:40 AM, NeverThatBored said:

There are a ton of things I want to do. I feel like I've been slowly losing fitness for the last 1.5 years as I dealt with wrist pain and eventually surgery that prevented me from continuing with the stuff I was working on. Last week, I was finally able to do 3x10 pushups again, so I think my wrist is in a place where I can start doing a lot of the stuff I was working on again. 

 

Hey that answers my question about the wrist. Sounds like the surgery was a success? Glad you're finally getting closer to where you were beforehand. 

 

On 1/1/2018 at 11:40 AM, NeverThatBored said:

I HAVE a bike but mainly just wobble when I ride it.

 

Wooo fellow wobbler here. I have such a hard time riding on roads for this reason...freaks me out when I have to be in a narrow space at the side of the road because I suck at going perfectly straight and I'm terrified of being hit by a car if I wobble even a bit to the left. My partner @LoganW was a bike commuter for several years and has tried to give me tips but I don't practice enough for any of it to sink into muscle memory. All I can say is get lots of practice in a safe place like a bike trail where cars aren't a factor.

 

On 1/1/2018 at 11:40 AM, NeverThatBored said:

I'm in CA until Friday, and then I'll be back in VA. I don't really intend to start full challenge stuff until I've gone back to VA. 

 

Another answer to my wonderings! Sorry it means leaving your cat behind, but hopefully you'll enjoy staying with your boyfriend again for a while. I'm curious about where you'll end up medium and long term!

 

On 1/1/2018 at 11:40 AM, NeverThatBored said:
  • Find a pool where I can go to practice swimming. Determine whether I'm comfortable working by myself or need a teacher to help me advance. Find teacher if needed. If not, practice at least weekly on my own one I've found a place that works for me.

 

Yay swimming!

 

On 1/1/2018 at 11:40 AM, NeverThatBored said:
  • Do 1 small thing/week to connect with/ be nice to my father

 

This is really heartwarming.

  • Like 5

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!
Link to post
1 hour ago, Severine said:

Hey that answers my question about the wrist. Sounds like the surgery was a success? Glad you're finally getting closer to where you were beforehand. 

 

 

Yeah! I had the surgery in...October, I think? I was in a brace/not allowed to do much for a few weeks, and then I was free to go back to doing stuff, but my wrist mobility was low and my wrist was still very sore. My mobility is mostly back to normal now, and there's much less residual soreness. I'm giving it a wee bit longer but I think I'm almost ready to get back to Aikido. And I'm able to do pushups with no problem. :) 

 

1 hour ago, Severine said:

Wooo fellow wobbler here. I have such a hard time riding on roads for this reason...freaks me out when I have to be in a narrow space at the side of the road because I suck at going perfectly straight and I'm terrified of being hit by a car if I wobble even a bit to the left. My partner @LoganW was a bike commuter for several years and has tried to give me tips but I don't practice enough for any of it to sink into muscle memory. All I can say is get lots of practice in a safe place like a bike trail where cars aren't a factor.

 

 

There are a bunch of good bike paths near me in VA that are like regular roads with yellow lines down the middle and everything. Even those make me nervous tbh because I'm like "I wobble so much and people need to pass me and I don't know if I can go in a straight line long enough for people to go by me!" etc but I should probably just get over that. :P The weird thing is, I don't think I was so bad on a bike when I was younger? They say you never forget how to ride a bike but apparently they're wrong. 

 

1 hour ago, Severine said:

My last cat had a lot of health issues and it was hard. Sounds like he's staying with your parents, though? At least you know he's with good people who will take care of him.

 

Yeah, he's staying with my parents. Honestly, I'm kind of worried about whether they'll observe him well enough. I'm sure they'll feed him and stuff, but will they follow him around to make sure he drinks water?? Hand feed him the water if he's not drinking?? Brush him?? Call to him if he hasn't eaten yet and sit with him until he does?? At this point we're just trying to keep his quality of life good for as long as we can before it gets too bad. My connecting with my dad goal might involve a lot of asking him for updates about his status. 

  • Like 7

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

 

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Link to post
1 hour ago, NeverThatBored said:

 

There are a bunch of good bike paths near me in VA that are like regular roads with yellow lines down the middle and everything. Even those make me nervous tbh because I'm like "I wobble so much and people need to pass me and I don't know if I can go in a straight line long enough for people to go by me!" etc but I should probably just get over that. :P The weird thing is, I don't think I was so bad on a bike when I was younger? They say you never forget how to ride a bike but apparently they're wrong. 

 

 

Oh maaaan.  I used to live in southern MD and biked a lot, and I miss those paths!!! *nostalgia* *_*

 

YOU'LL TOTALLY GET IT!!!  Gonna be a super biker in no time!

  • Like 2

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

Link to post
25 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

Secondly, if you find a Triathlon in the area, let me know and I will sign up with you. 

 

Of course! I don't think I'm looking to sign up for anything until I meet the basic standards of breathing while swimming and riding in a straight line, but I'll definitely keep you posted. 

  • Like 4

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

 

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Link to post

Slower is more wobbly than faster... Also the thing about bikes is they go where you’re looking. Keep looking straight ahead when people pass and you’ll be fine.

Have fun on your bikes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 5

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Link to post
2 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Secondly, if you find a Triathlon in the area, let me know and I will sign up with you. 

 

1 hour ago, NeverThatBored said:

Of course! I don't think I'm looking to sign up for anything until I meet the basic standards of breathing while swimming and riding in a straight line, but I'll definitely keep you posted. 

 

Copying Sylvaa here, once you're ready to find a Tri Sprint I may get encouraged to sign up along with you lol. 

  • Like 3

2021 Reading Challenge | Walk to Mordor

 

 

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines