• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

peelout

Peelout restarts KH2

Well, it's the start of 2018 and I'm at my heaviest ever (191.6).  Focusing on creating habits will be my foundation, although I've learned that even habits kept for +6 months can unravel.  No M has been the longest running habit I've kept (don't bother asking what that is) but even after a good year of No M, I fell off the wagon.  However, I started No M again and its been 2 months as of Dec 31.  I've been working out sporadically through Dec, so KH2 will be Daily Exercise.  This one comes pretty easy for me, especially since white water kayaking season starts in about 4months and I need to be fit for that sport (especially at 57).  So here is my plan for the year:

Develop the following Keystone Habits:

KH1:  No M since Nov 1, 2017

KH2:  Daily exercise - Start Jan 1

Future KH's:  Quit Smoking, more to come

Goals for the year:

1) Weigh 165 lbs

2)  Press palms to the ground w/ knees locked

3)  4 pullups

4)  135 lb bench 10 times in perfect form

5)  Complete all relevant Solid Works tutorials

I will achieve success for the month if I:

1)  Perform some type of exercise daily (including place holder workout)

2)  Lose 5lbs

3)  Complete 4 hours Solid Works training

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I’m glad you still live Peelout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alive and more of me.  Soon to be less of me.  

Hey, fancy new reaction things instead of just liking something, I can be descriptive of my emotions.

• Like 3

1/1

Wt: 191.6

Was my day a success?  Yes, 2 workouts and great eating.  Was going to movie when I thought "the popcorn and soda I will have will negate my entire hike today" so I turned around and went home.

Workout:  Strength training + 1.5 mi hike in the snow.

Eating:

Protein shake

Soup

Salad + meat + small helping potato's

Pear

1soda

Welcome back. Darn that mayonnaise for tempting you back to it (I'm sticking with my assertion that that's what M stands for). Still, grats on getting back on the wagon and back to healthy habits. Following for the awesome. 

1/2 

Wt: 190.6

Was my day a success?  Yes.  Today, instead of McD's for my work lunch which I've done for the last  6 months, I switched to salad and plain meat.  My eating plan is going to revolve around a lot of salads (romaine, spinach, mandarin orange, 4 grapes, 4 cherry tomatos, cottage cheese) + a plain meat (like pork chops, chicken, steak, or burger cooked on grill over the weekend).  I find the salads pretty filling and I actually like them.  Gotta have meat too, but no buns.

Great w/o today.  On my "off strength" day, I do what I call cardio/core - 5 - 3 min treadmill powerwalks separated with crunches, incline situps, side twist machine, ab machine, then my patented plate lift/press/reverse curl/back to ground (10 reps each). No breaks at any time.  I'm good and winded by the time I'm done.  I follow this up with a stretching routine (as I do with my strength training routine).  Whitewater kayaking requires a lot of sudden jerky power moves so flexibility is vital to reducing the chance for injury.  All the core work is needed for bringing the body into position for rolling the boat upright.

Workout:  cardio/core.

Eating:

Protein shake

Salad + chicken

Salad + burger

Banana, maybe a slice of cheese later

1soda

• Like 2

1/3 

Wt: 189.4

Was my day a success?  Yes.  No McD's again for lunch.  Just salad and burger (no bun).  Noticed myself actually being hungry w/ slight belly rumble.  Thats a good sign as it means my body will have to burn a little fat for energy rather than using fast acting carbs.  I've noticed it takes about 3 days for the stomach to empty out from its normally stuffed condition.  That would explain why my wt has dropped from 191.6 to 189.4 in less than 3 days.  Definitely not fat loss, just the stomach contents getting reduced.  I did treat myself to a BLT w/ a few chips for supper.  Chips not good, and I'm trying to reduce my bread intake, but I can lose wt w/o being 100% perfect.  And a BLT is pretty healthy even w/ the bread.  Meat and 2 vegys.

Nice chest w/o tonight.  Not sure if I mentioned before, but I was having some shoulder pain when I started back lifting in December.  Bench press was one of my focus exercises on chest days.  Took some advice from a couple people and switched to doing dumbell bench press and starting from an elbows in position.  Seems to have worked, although the bench was more satisfying from a psychological standpoint as I can lift more on the bench than with dumbells.  But if it prevents shoulder pain, I'll take the trade off.

Workout:  chest day.

Eating:

Protein shake

Salad + burger

BLT and chips

Pear, maybe a slice of cheese later

1soda

• Like 2

On 1/2/2018 at 8:41 AM, Manarelle said:

Welcome back. Darn that mayonnaise for tempting you back to it (I'm sticking with my assertion that that's what M stands for). Still, grats on getting back on the wagon and back to healthy habits. Following for the awesome. 

Yes, mayonnaise is my Krypton.

12 minutes ago, Hazard said:

Nice to see you back at it. :encouragement: 

Thanks

21 hours ago, otterbyte said:

Three successful days in a row! Looks like you're off to an awesome start. Following!

Just a lifetime to go.  Thanks.

• Like 1

1/4

Wt: 189.0

Was my day a success?  Yes. Wt dropped to 189.0.  My stomach is probably cleared out now.  For me, losing wt is like keeping your vehicle gas tank very low.  You only put enough in so that you don't run out of gas.  With food, you want your belly only full  enough that when the next meal time rolls around, your stomach is genuinely wanting food.  If I don't feel a very slight growl in my belly at my scheduled eating times, I probably ate to much at the last meal.  

Stuck to the eating plan.  Wife bought some tasty broiled chickens from Costco which went great w/  my dinner salad.  Experiencing some lower back pain that I attribute to (of all things) stretching.  Some stretches like toe touches, and ham string stretches encourage bending the back to try to reach just a little further.  Don't know why I fall for that everytime I start stretching after being off for an extended period.  Important to keep the back straight and head up and not bend the spine to reach further when the intent is to work the ham string.

By the way, I used to hate salad.  Then I discovered romaine and spinach w/ fruit added, and now I love them.  Low cal, healthy, filling, and tasty.

Workout:  5 cardio/core intervals.  

Eating:

Breakfast- Protein shake

Lunch- Salad + burger

Dinner- Salad + chicken

Before bed- Some type of reasonably not to unhealthy snack later, maybe cheese and crackers and maybe a banana.

1soda

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

What are you doing for cardio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Treadmill at a pace just under jogging (guess I'd call it power walking). 
3min tread

10 crunches

3min tread

10 incline situps

3min tread

10 machine twists

3min tread

10 ab machine

3min tread

10 plate lift/press/behind neck curl/return to floor. 

No rest at any point.  I'm pretty winded when I get done.

• Like 1

1/5

Wt: 188.8

Was my day a success?  Yes. Wt dropped to 0.2lbs.  Thank goodness for digital scales.  My stomach is officially emptied the tons of crap it was carried so now I will start counting the drop in wt as real fat loss.  Looking forward to jumping up in the morning to see how many tenths of a lb I lost.

Nothing notable about my w/o tonight.  I'm getting close to maxing out the quicky increases in strength you get when you first start back working out.  Once you've reached the end of the neurological strength improvements, the drudge of trying for tiny improvements start.  Workouts start becoming less exciting then.

Workout:  Back focus.  

Eating:

Breakfast- Protein shake

Lunch- Salad + burger

Dinner- Chicken

Before bed- Might have some more chicken later.  Kind of hungry since I skipped my salad with my chicken at dinner.

1soda

• Like 2

1/6

Wt: 188.2

Was my day a success?  Yes. 0.6 lb loss since yesterday.   Outdoor grilled 8 pork chops and 6 hamburgers for all of next week.  Also stocked up on salad stuff.  Still eating away at the rotissorie chicken my wife bought at Costco.  I really like their chicken.  Got my workout in. Not much else exciting going on.  May go to a movie later.  If so, there will be a small bag of buttered popcorn to give me some needless cals.  Need to find a theater w/ a salad bar.

Son and wife went to Carbondale to visit my daughter.  I needed to work a bit this morning so stayed home.

Son is consuming 4000 cals a day and is ripped.  Oh to be young again.

Workout:  Cardio core.

Eating:

Breakfast- Protein shake

Lunch- Chicken

Dinner- Salad and chicken

Before bed- Probably popcorn and soda at movie.

1soda

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Teancum said:

Good to see you back!! 

Thanks, it definitely feels good to back at.

Is Teancum for the Nephite military leader or is there another meaning to the name you chose?

1 hour ago, peelout said:

Thanks, it definitely feels good to back at.

Is Teancum for the Nephite military leader or is there another meaning to the name you chose?

You got it! 

15 hours ago, peelout said:

Son is consuming 4000 cals a day and is ripped.  Oh to be young again.

Mmmhm, I hear you there. I'd settle for being able to do squats without my kneecaps sounding like they're going to explode. 

• Like 1

1/7

Wt: 188.2

Was my day a success?  Yes. Same wt as yesterday but I didn't expect to lose everyday.  Glad it didn't rise.   Was getting a little bored at the gym so I decided to mix up my routine slightly.  Whether its chest night or back night, I always start out w/ 6 sets of cable pulldowns and 3-4 sets of DB bench.  Tonight I cut back to 3 sets of pulldowns.  Then I do DB bench and then machine flyes.  Normally do 3 sets of each, but tonight I worked up to my normal wt, the repeated each wt back to starting wt for about 6-7 sets on each.  Can't remember the name for that, but I have a feeling I will be sore tomorrow.  Then just to burn a few more cal's, I hiked 1.5m in the snow which left me very winded.  Eating was great as well.  Hoping for a drop tomorrow.

Workout:  Chest focus

Eating:

Breakfast- Protein shake

Lunch- Salad and pork chop

Dinner- Salad and chicken

Before bed- Probably a pear and 1 cookie before bed.

1soda

• Like 1

Weekly summary:
Very happy with my first week.

Eating was excellent - my main meals were all salad + plain meat.  And I broke out of my habit of eating at McD's every work day for lunch (huge calorie reduction)

7 days of workouts.  (Increased my cardio/core workouts from 3 intervals to 5 intervals (each interval is 3min treadmill + 1 core exercise)

3.4lb wt loss (much of that was just getting my stomach from its normally filled to capacity condition down to just enough to get by to my next meal capacity).

I'm so happy I'm going to get out of my box and post a gif:

Image result for nos fast and furious picture

• Like 2

1/8

Wt: 187.4

Was my day a success?  Incredibly.  First, my wt dropped from 188.2 yesterday to 187.4 today.  I have to believe some of that is water wt though.  During my 1.5m trail walk in the snow yesterday, I got pretty warm and probably lost water through sweat.  Still, I did do 2 w/o's yesterday, and I ate well, so some of it was probably fat loss.  

Tonight my daughters boyfriend invited my wife and I to eat out at Avanti's (a popular local Italian restaraunt).  This made me nervous but I persevered and ordered the healthiest thing I could find which was a chicken wrap with bacon, romaine lettuce, tomatos, ranch dressing, and a spinach wrap.  More calories that I would have had if I stayed home, but much better than ordering ravioli and eating a lot of their delicious bread (I had one bite of bread).  So I'm happy with that.

Due to the late meal, I had to use my placeholder w/o - 10 freebody squats.  It does nothing for fitness.  The point of the placeholder is so that the mind is constantly reminded that exercise is a daily event.  I find habits that are meant to be done everyday easier to develop than 3-4 day/wk habits.  In fact, I did my 10 squats half way through the above paragraph.  I only use the placeholder 2-3 times/month.  It also forces me to take a day off now and then.

I was thinking about habits today.  Those who have read my past stuff know that I'm obsessed with trying to understand them.  Couple things I've noticed.  Obviously habits don't always stick.  Early last year I worked out everyday for about 4-5months, then fell out of that and stopped.  Something that starts to become second nature to you can still stop.  However, once something has been a habit, it is much easier to pick up again.  Take addictions like smoking and alcohol.  People can stop these for years, then fall right back into them.  My definition of a habit is something that occurs automatically.  I wake up and pretty much always follow the exact same routine: shower, dress, brush teeth, shave, and eat.  I never think about what I am going to do in the morning.  They are habits.  Well, early last year, I worked on the habits of daily exercise and eating at least 5 salads/week.  When I started back working on the habit of daily exercise 8 days ago, it was very easy to move back into daily exercise.  What I did not expect and was not a goal or habit I intended to work on this month was the eating daily salads.  Early last year, after a few months of working on the daily exercise habit, I started working on eating a daily salad.  I only set the target at 5/wk, but I was eating a salad almost 7 days/wk.  I did this for several months then quit when I stopped working out.  What fascinates me is that even though the only habit I have focused on for this month is the exercise, the salads just started up automatically.  I think my mind associates eating daily salads as part of the daily exercise habit.  I focused on daily exercise and used will power to get started again (always dread the first few workouts where you have to drag the body to the gym).  But the brain remembers the habit and says "oh yeah", eating salad goes with that.  Which is why I automatically started eating salads when I started working out again.

Workout:  Placeholder

Eating:

Breakfast- Protein shake

Lunch- Salad and burger patty

Dinner- Chicken wrap

Before bed- Probably a pear and 1 cookie before bed.

1soda

• Like 3

10 hours ago, peelout said:

I think my mind associates eating daily salads as part of the daily exercise habit.  I focused on daily exercise and used will power to get started again (always dread the first few workouts where you have to drag the body to the gym).  But the brain remembers the habit and says "oh yeah", eating salad goes with that.  Which is why I automatically started eating salads when I started working out again.

Brains are so odd and amazing! But really, I think it's not much different than your chain of habits in the morning. Getting up, brushing teeth, getting dressed - you don't have those as separate habits; it's a sequence of habits. And from what I've seen of the research, it's recommended to 'hook' one habit onto another. Isn't that the idea behind things like Grease the Groove? Anyhow, glad you were able to get two-for-one!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, peelout said:

What fascinates me is that even though the only habit I have focused on for this month is the exercise, the salads just started up automatically.  I think my mind associates eating daily salads as part of the daily exercise habit. 

2 hours ago, otterbyte said:

Brains are so odd and amazing! But really, I think it's not much different than your chain of habits in the morning. Getting up, brushing teeth, getting dressed - you don't have those as separate habits; it's a sequence of habits. And from what I've seen of the research, it's recommended to 'hook' one habit onto another.

That’s an interesting observation.  I think I’ll try creating a mental association between some easy-to-do sequence of actions that leads directly into the warmup ramping sets of a strength training workout.  To try to make it so that I can trigger my brain into Workout Mode by starting the sequence.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2018 at 8:39 PM, peelout said:

Experiencing some lower back pain that I attribute to (of all things) stretching.  Some stretches like toe touches, and ham string stretches encourage bending the back to try to reach just a little further.  Don't know why I fall for that everytime I start stretching after being off for an extended period.  Important to keep the back straight and head up and not bend the spine to reach further when the intent is to work the ham string.

Yes on this. I'm pretty sure that's how I hurt my back ~1.5 years ago.

Glad you see you back!!

p.s. Keep saying no :

image.thumb.png.0fd528936f255ca1de03fa2b1427c608.png