What's your starter pokemon?   

14 members have voted

1. 1. What's your starter pokemon?

• Bulbasaur
    • Squirtle
    • Charmander
    • Pikachu

Thumbs up! Love your challenge!

I think it 's weird how diet or feeding/eating times Work. How easy it comes to thers etc... The earlier I eat in te day means that I have more cravings for bad food, if I am hungry its actually easier for me to choose healthy foods.

I also wish you a lot of luck on the running, I am also looking into it. Where do you find tour information? And can you give the name of the app you are using?

1 hour ago, Wobbegong said:

I will take you up on this. I have my own minifridge now, so I can store my own goddamn bacon! (Jesus, I will have to learn how to cook bacon.) I can cook exactly the amount I want at a time! I can have my own stash of avocados! (I could've done that before, but.) I can have all the healthy happy fats I want! 

nothing difficult about that, just heat the pan, put it in, turn it around untill you cooked it at prefered taste, done :P

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

I was wondering if anyone would catch that. Nice. ;) I drink Russian Caravan, served in the Russian fashion with jam as sweetener.

Well, I have learned something new. This sounds very interesting. I can't have Jam right now but when I'm done with the elimination diet I'll be trying this. Thank you for broadening my world!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tash said:

Thumbs up! Love your challenge!

Thanks! And thanks for stopping by!

I think it 's weird how diet or feeding/eating times Work. How easy it comes to thers etc... The earlier I eat in te day means that I have more cravings for bad food, if I am hungry its actually easier for me to choose healthy foods.

That used to be me back when I wasn't eating breakfast at all. I have tried all sorts of eating schedules with varying results. For example, my current standard is to eat three meals that get progressively larger throughout the day (small breakfast, medium lunch, large dinner) and I usually find I need a snack either mid-morning or mid-afternoon. 

But a while ago I focused hard on eating a high-fat breakfast and decreasing the size of my meals throughout the day so breakfast was the largest and dinner was the smallest, and I found that despite eating lightly at dinner I was surprisingly still full when I woke up! It actually became difficult to maintain eating large breakfasts because I was never hungry enough. I'm planning to try that again, so I'll report back and see if the same thing happens.  

I also wish you a lot of luck on the running, I am also looking into it. Where do you find tour information? And can you give the name of the app you are using?

What information? I learned how to run when I was very small. ;) Just kidding. I learned several of the running techniques I've mentioned here (measuring intervals by breath, song, and local distance markers such as telephone poles, for example) by researching what exactly a C25K program offers. I tend to be fairly unwilling to download new apps unless I think they'll actually be useful to me, so I wanted to know what to expect from ZenLabs. I looked up C25K programs online and found that they were interval based, and then looked into other interval measuring techniques from there. 

I also have exercise-induced asthma so I am naturally very curious about breath management. I get bronchospasms when I run too hard, and the only way to prevent them is to... build up my stamina by running more gently but more regularly. T_T But I actually love running so it's not too terrible a hardship. Anyway, since I often run out of breath before I reach muscle fatigue, I have looked into ways to improve my ability to perform aerobic exercise including things like "breathing in time with your stride" (the video I watch on youtube recommended in-stride out-stride but I usually end up doing in-stride-stride out-stride-stride; it's fine, still better than breaths that don't match up with strides at all) and also have been utilizing my old chorus training to breath "from the diaphragm" during my walk intervals to recover faster. Today I actually remembered to try breathing from the diaphragm while I was running and it was very awkward but might improve with practice. 

The app I use is called C25K by ZenLabs. They also offer a 10k program and several other exercise routine options. All of them are available for free with ads or for a small fee ad-free. They also now offer a music service that will provide songs with tempos appropriate for your exercise or something? I haven't tried it. 

nothing difficult about that, just heat the pan, put it in, turn it around untill you cooked it at prefered taste, done :P

For real? I don't usually cook meat if I can avoid it so I wouldn't know. But I'm very gullible so you could probably give me any list of semi-plausible instructions for cooking bacon and I'd believe you. 

1 hour ago, J3NN said:

Well, I have learned something new. This sounds very interesting. I can't have Jam right now but when I'm done with the elimination diet I'll be trying this. Thank you for broadening my world!

Happy to do it! I will reiterate the warning that Russian Caravan is a smokey tea, though. If you do not like smoke flavor... don't drink it. Also DO NOT buy a Russian Caravan tea that has "smoke flavor" added. It's like that liquid smoke stuff? Just don't. The smokiness in the tea should come naturally from the lapsang souchong in the blend. 

But seriously if you don't like smoke flavor do not drink Russian Caravan (or lapsang souchong). At that point I'd say just try your jam in an Earl Grey or something. 

I have heard that Peet's sells a Russian Caravan, but I'm not sure if they only sell it in bulk or if you can buy a single cup. And I don't know if they have jam on-hand. There are several other brands you can find online, but as we do not have a significant Russian community here, I have not been able to find any other in-store options. I'm sure there are some somewhere though because when I started drinking it my mom immediately said, "Ugh, my mother used to drink that tea." Grandma must've gotten it somewhere. 

• Like 2

I don't have to go running tomorrow~! 

I like running, don't get me wrong. But I also just restarted running the same week I came back from vacation. And had to run an extra day because of app malfunction. So I am excited to sleep in tomorrow and then spend time stretching. (I should really stretch more.)

What will I eat for breakfast? Maybe eggs. There are eggs handy. I unfortunately only have string cheese in my minifridge, which is a-ok for snacking but not appropriate for a full meal. Next time I go to the grocery store (Friday maybe?) I will buy some of my high-fat snacks that can be cobbled together into a meal. In addition to cheese, I like to have olives, cashews, and liverwurst on-hand. 

I want to try making my own liverwurst. The one at the grocery store is delicious but I bet with some practice I could replicate it at home for cheaper. Today I asked at the meat counter if the grocery store sells chicken livers and the guy said they were "in containers" "at the far end of the chicken display" and they they have cow liver too. Goody. I checked but wasn't sure if he meant IN the chicken display cabinet or ON it on the far side or NEXT TO it to the left or what. I did not spot any containers except hot sauce. I will look again next time. I wasn't too troubled by not finding it today since I wasn't going to buy any anyway (mom is still on vacation, cooking in the kitchen must be limited to quick things I know how to do), but I would've liked to have figured out what it looks like so I can grab it easier next time. (I know what liver looks like. I assume the alleged containers are opaque, since there was nothing liver-colored at all.) 

Spoiler

For the record, I believe in eating at least one of [eggs, organ meats, shellfish, bone broth] regularly to balance muscle meats. I don't really like shellfish except scallops, making my own bone broth is a pain (but pho is worthwhile and cheap af), and I don't eat as many eggs as I should. So that is why liverwurst (also it is delicious), for anyone wondering. I am only amused by the "mysterious anti-fatigue factor" people. They clearly did not read the whole study. Liver is great for you but not because it is magic mystery food. 

• Like 4

I found you! How dare you hide in plain sight like this!?

Bacon is awesome. I recommend wrapping it around bits of chicken and oven bake the whole thing. :) 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

I found you! How dare you hide in plain sight like this!?

I always update my #2 post in my challenges with my new challenge when I move. But I forgot to make a new post. :rolleyes: I'll do that just in case anyone else is wondering where I've wandered off to. 

Also hi, welcome, thank you for finding me. :)

4 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Bacon is awesome. I recommend wrapping it around bits of chicken and oven bake the whole thing. :)

That sounds like an awful lot of meat things to eat at once.

As soon as I wrote that I realized I'm imagining whole chicken thighs wrapped in bacon, but you did write "bits of" so maybe you mean smaller pieces? Like hors d'oeuvres-size? V curious. Send recipe.  

• Like 2

On 1/2/2018 at 1:52 PM, Diadhuit said:

I also think the linen shop has a shop just below my apt even if there is no sign on the website. They look good but so expensive!

I was looking at the hankies again today (I'm so gonna ace this challenge I want those hankies so bad) and checking out prices and just now I thought to check the conversion rate, since the website lists everything in pounds. 

I forgot how weak the pound is against the dollar since Brexit. The last time I checked, 1 pound was worth roughly 2 dollars, but right now it's only 1.35x. Now is definitely the time to buy. 

Things are probably more expensive for you than usual, huh? Sorry about that. 

• Like 2

I was looking at the hankies again today (I'm so gonna ace this challenge I want those hankies so bad) and checking out prices and just now I thought to check the conversion rate, since the website lists everything in pounds. 

I forgot how weak the pound is against the dollar since Brexit. The last time I checked, 1 pound was worth roughly 2 dollars, but right now it's only 1.35x. Now is definitely the time to buy. 

Things are probably more expensive for you than usual, huh? Sorry about that. 

Wha? I had to went back to the website you posted to understand what you mean. The main company is in Northen Ireland, I live in the republic. My currency is euro and I'll still be in Europe after Brexit.
I know that you didn't have these info about me, but be careful in a statement like that if you are talking with a native :)
If you don't know what I'm talking about:
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

That sounds like an awful lot of meat things to eat at once.

As soon as I wrote that I realized I'm imagining whole chicken thighs wrapped in bacon, but you did write "bits of" so maybe you mean smaller pieces? Like hors d'oeuvres-size? V curious. Send recipe.  

Chicken breasts actually,not thighs. So yes, it's a lot of meat, but it's very good: https://healthyrecipesblogs.com/2015/04/01/bacon-wrapped-chicken-breast/

I use a meat tenderizer to smash the chicken breast flat, and then I wrap it around cheese before I wrap bacon around the chicken. :) 

8 hours ago, Diadhuit said:

Wha? I had to went back to the website you posted to understand what you mean. The main company is in Northen Ireland, I live in the republic. My currency is euro and I'll still be in Europe after Brexit.
I know that you didn't have these info about me, but be careful in a statement like that if you are talking with a native :)

Omg I'm so sorry. I must've had a terrible brain fart because their website does list prices in pounds and of course it says "IRISH LINEN" all over it, but I think you mentioned Dublin before so obviously you'd be Republic. Thank you for the gentle reminder. I am of Irish descent so I ought to be decently aware of Irish-English tensions and history, but I wasn't paying attention and of course you're not taking the same Brexit hit to your currency that Northern Ireland might be. 

I will try harder to be more aware of such things in the future. Again, super sorry. 

4 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Chicken breasts actually, not thighs. So yes, it's a lot of meat, but it's very good: https://healthyrecipesblogs.com/2015/04/01/bacon-wrapped-chicken-breast/

I use a meat tenderizer to smash the chicken breast flat, and then I wrap it around cheese before I wrap bacon around the chicken. :) 

Thanks for the recipe and the cheese tip! I'll probably hold off on this until next challenge when I'll hopefully move on to tackling lunch, since this looks like a lot of time to put into breakfast, but it sounds yummy. :)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

Thanks for the recipe and the cheese tip! I'll probably hold off on this until next challenge when I'll hopefully move on to tackling lunch, since this looks like a lot of time to put into breakfast, but it sounds yummy. :)

Yeah, for me this is a dinner recipe. We eat it with brown rice and sometime green beans. It's VERY filling.

• Like 1

Apparently there was an earthquake last night. I woke up immediately after it needing desperately to pee, but don't recall any shaking. Both the parents were awake (and using the bathrooms, annoyingly) which is pretty unusual at 2:40am. 

It was only a little one and across the bay in Berkeley, in case there are people following along who aren't used to earthquakes or are anxious about it. Nothing to worry about. :) 

I did sleep in today, as planned, but kind of regretted it when I woke up and saw it was raining. No rain run for me today. Aww. Maybe it'll rain again for me tomorrow. 

Breakfast was leftover beans (approx 1/2c), two eggs, some queso fresco, and salsa. I think the fat content was too low and the carb content was too high, but the calories overall seemed about on point. Morning was a mix of almost sleepy and almost hungry but I made it to lunch without a snack break and without a dire need for a nap, so that's fine. 

Even though I'm only on the "brainstorm" part of my planning for the year, four things have come to my attention that are helping me reframe my immediate future a little more clearly. 

1. When I explained my month-long year-planning project to my best friend in response to her inquiry about resolutions, she reminded me that I would have to plan around going to Japan. I pointed out that most of my goals can be done anywhere, but I had been planning timing to include Japan. But then she brought up the concept of other travel goals. I have some.
  2. The woman who was my first boss at this company told me yesterday that Friday will be her last day. (Hooray! Congratulations, WW!!) She will be starting a new job, so it doesn't leave much down-time for her, but I felt like I could use some. I'm thinking I will quit at the end of February, and spend some time traveling before I deploy to Japan. (One way or another, my next job will be teaching English abroad. I would prefer it to be in Japan to start, but it doesn't have to be.) 
  3. The coworker I became close friends with at this company, before she was laid off, has been spending her time since the layoff touring SE Asia on the cheap. I checked in with her yesterday, since it had been a while since we had talked. Originally she was planning to go for a couple of months. She told me yesterday she is planning to stay for as long as she can possibly afford it, and she would love for me to come spend some time with her. It has been on my mind to travel there, so I think I should go for it
  4. The other main travel thing on my mind has been touring the United States. I have seen very little of my country. I had been thinking I'd road trip it, since I have a car, but some research indicates I might prefer the comfort and convenience of a train. I am thinking of buying a two week rail pass and hitting the road. I have friends all over the country that I would like to see, and visiting a few NF people is not out of the question either, if anyone would like me to drop by. 

This is kind of a lot to process all at once, but at the same time I feel like I have a much stronger sense of clarity and focus about the next couple of months. Up until this point, I had kind of been plodding along, biding my time and waiting for my situation to change. But this month is apply-to-other-Japan-jobs month, and I'll hear back from JET about an interview in February. If that goes well (and it will, if they ask me in -- I am one of those assholes who has no interview anxiety and interviews very well, as long as I know what I'm doing, which I will this time), after the interview I'll have some leeway before the next step in their process. That will be the time to leave my current job and travel. 

What do you guys think? Is this a stupid idea? 

• Like 4

Yup good old earthquake in the middle of the night :) I didn't think I felt it, though I did wake up. Then heard my son come and ask if we felt it. 

For #4 I have heard Train can be really great. There is one that goes from out this way, to Chicago, then another from there to New York I believe. Like not regular old trains, but ones that have in big widows so you can see the countrysides. I'm not sure about how it is for stops, but if there are towns you want to explore, you could sign up for zipcar.

Japan does sound exciting, though probably anywhere would that you would end up teaching at.

• Like 2

On 1/3/2018 at 5:35 PM, Wobbegong said:

Crap. Did I forget to say advice and suggestions and comments are always welcome again? I forgot. Please always feel free to offer advice and suggestions and comments! I may not always agree but I will always appreciate the time you took to attempt to help me. 

Oh. Questions too! Those are welcome. I am question-friendly.  

You know what. 

The only time I ever quit sugar successfully (after a while I forgot but I never went back to as bad as I was before, thank GOD) I did it by subbing in fatty snacks every time. I'd get a candy craving and eat a string cheese or a pile of nuts. It was tough at first because when you're craving something you don't want something else but as long as I pushed myself to actually eat a fatty snack, it helped so much. I quit sugar cold for a month doing that, and I spent the whole time telling everyone on NF that fat was the secret to all of nutrition's mysteries. 

And then I forgot. 

I will take you up on this. I have my own minifridge now, so I can store my own goddamn bacon! (Jesus, I will have to learn how to cook bacon.) I can cook exactly the amount I want at a time! I can have my own stash of avocados! (I could've done that before, but.) I can have all the healthy happy fats I want! 

Thanks, Butternut. <3 

Shucks, you are welcome ^_^ 

yes it's easy to forget about fat when sugary snacks are everywhere! 

• Like 2

What am I going to eat for breakfast tomorrow??? 

Someone please tell me, I've run out of thinking power. I have to go to the grocery store anyway so anything is fine. It just has to be something simple that I can pull together in about ten minutes. Eggs? Sausage? Something cold? Halp! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tateman said:

For #4 I have heard Train can be really great. There is one that goes from out this way, to Chicago, then another from there to New York I believe. Like not regular old trains, but ones that have in big widows so you can see the countrysides. I'm not sure about how it is for stops, but if there are towns you want to explore, you could sign up for zipcar.

You can take AMTRAK from Emeryville to Chicago and then switch trains to go to New York or DC from there. Or... other places, maybe, I guess? The AMTRAK stops in Salt Lake and Denver on the way. And there are other tracks branching out from those ports, too, of course, so if I wanted to explore a bit using those cities as a base of operations I could. The long-distance AMTRAK does have viewing cars with windows that arch up over the ceiling, but not all the cars are like that.  

19-resized-2.jpg

It seems dumb to me that it's from Emeryville of all places, and makes me wonder if maybe the alleged stops in other big cities are also in smaller, nearby cities. But most places aren't like the Bay Area with a bunch of big cities clustered so tightly together. So who knows. Regardless, it would be a pretty fun trip! 

• Like 3

On 1/3/2018 at 4:35 PM, Wobbegong said:

And then I forgot. 

I love how more and more you are finding some independence with just having a small fridge. I am really happy for you Wobbegong. And you can have my bacon, I have never ever been a fan and probably never will be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I love how more and more you are finding some independence with just having a small fridge. I am really happy for you Wobbegong. And you can have my bacon, I have never ever been a fan and probably never will be.

I'm easily pleased lol. The trick is to hold onto the joy and not let the state of having a minifridge just become so standard that I take it for granted and fail to appreciate it.

I have been trying to be more appreciative of all the great stuff I have lately. For example, my own room! A comfortable mattress! A door that locks! Access to the Internet! Access to the foods of many different cultures! Extraordinary variety at the grocery store! The legal ability to have a job and earn my own money! A society that hasn't cast me out despite that I am a 25-year-old unmarried woman! Access to higher education! (And the funds to cover the cost!) Coffee that doesn't taste like butt! Penicillin! Vaccines! Hygiene! The safety of being able to enjoy getting rain-soaked and knowing I can come home, warm up, and dry off without threat to my health! We really are living in the future, and the future is great. 

Also I don't eat bacon that much myself but less because I dislike bacon and more because I dislike cooking meat and don't know how and also don't eat a lot of meat in general anyway. I have never understood the internet's obsession with bacon -- like, sure, it's good? It's not the best food out there. It's not better than cheese. But I appreciate that I can have yours, maybe my desire for bacon will increase and I'll need to take you up on the offer. ;)  

37 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

What did you decide on?

i had granola with protein nut milk. :)

I wasn't able to decide. T_T In the end I was so confused I didn't go to the grocery store at all, and just came home and had tea. I considered having granola but didn't want to deal with grinding flax, and the granola isn't worth it on its own. I mean, it's delicious and worth eating, but it's not a filling breakfast. The tea was heavily fortified with whole milk so we'll see how far it gets me. 

I used to have a coworker who would always say, "Eat it for science." Whenever I had a craving for something terrible and knew I shouldn't eat it, he would say, "Eat it for science." Whenever I wasn't sure what to eat and was considering a fallback, he would say, "Eat it for science." What he meant was, "go ahead and eat what you want, what's easiest, what comes to mind. But pay attention to how it makes you feel. Record the results. The next time you want it, refer back to your experiment and decide then if it's worth it." I'm going to use this methodology today to discover if I can last until lunch on a single cup of tea or not. No pressure! It's just science. :) 

• Like 4

Science update: 

Tea prepared @ 8:24 

Tea finished @ 9:15

Stomach rumbling @ 9:58

--> Drank some water, definitely hungry already but not ready to eat, will continue to monitor

Edit: 

@10:21 -- rumbly tummy distracting, ate a string cheese. Tea for breakfast experiment: failure, does not last until lunch. 

• Like 5

Wow I've been having a lot of decision fatigue today. And executive dysfunction. Why. 

I complained to a friend and she said "It's because you're planning your entire year... take a break?" 

Unfortunately, I am kind of behind on my #3 goal for the week. I have a decent list of things to do this year brainstormed, and timelines for some of them, but not for most. Also no order of importance. Also I keep feeling like I'm forgetting things, which is fine because I can always add them later, and I have planned to remove some things that I change my mind about (assuming I change my mind), but it's bothersome to plan for a moving target. Grrr. 

Also I'm running out of time this week. After work today I'm driving to a friend's house and I have a mystery engagement at some point tomorrow. A friend invited me to her group's D&D campaign and I'm super excited to go but... "Saturday" is not enough information?? When is it?? How long does it go for? Do I need to bring anything? What about transportation? I'll have to figure all of that out somehow. That mostly just leaves Sunday to finish up brainstorming week, so I'll need to wear my self-discipline pants for sure. 

Challenges are tough work man. 

• Like 6

Also I'm running out of time this week. After work today I'm driving to a friend's house and I have a mystery engagement at some point tomorrow. A friend invited me to her group's D&D campaign and I'm super excited to go but... "Saturday" is not enough information?? When is it?? How long does it go for? Do I need to bring anything? What about transportation? I'll have to figure all of that out somehow. That mostly just leaves Sunday to finish up brainstorming week, so I'll need to wear my self-discipline pants for sure. 

Challenges are tough work man. 

1. I can’t imagine trying to plan my entire year. Don’t stress too much. As the year goes on random things will inspire new things and so on.

2. I sooo hate when people do that, give a vague general time/day for something. Even worse, I hate when I’m looked at as weird for having a bunch of follow up questions on what to expect/bring/ how long etc. Knowing things help ease social stress.

3. D&D always looked cool (I know that is not the general perception, but hey, this is NF, right?), but I never had a group to play and was too shy to go somewhere to meet people I didn’t know. Now, I feel like I’m too old/too busy to start. Is it as fun as it seems? How did you get started at it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Hypotheticalfox said:

1. I can’t imagine trying to plan my entire year. Don’t stress too much. As the year goes on random things will inspire new things and so on.

That's reasonable, but my experience has been that I won't do anything if I don't have very specific, easy-to-follow instructions for how and when to do it. My main goal for this year is to work on self-discipline, and I want to assist that goal by giving myself lots of opportunities to follow instructions (even -- especially -- if they're just my instructions). When I talk about planning my year, it's not a complete 365-day itinerary -- that would be ridiculous! But there are several things that I have been meaning to work on or finish for years, so the idea is to create a list of them and make it easy for me to get started AND follow through. If things change along the way, I can be flexible, but what I don't want is to ever find myself doing nothing simply because I don't know what to do. 

2. I sooo hate when people do that, give a vague general time/day for something. Even worse, I hate when I’m looked at as weird for having a bunch of follow up questions on what to expect/bring/ how long etc. Knowing things help ease social stress.

I don't understand why it's so difficult. This friend in particular is always like this about plans. Then like an hour before something happens she'll suddenly text me all of the info I need. Like. Can I get a little more advance notice?? 

But I've known her for a long time and I don't have many other friends in the area, and it's not like I've ever complained to her face, so I really have no legs to stand on. If I want her to behave differently, I should ask.  :rolleyes:

3. D&D always looked cool (I know that is not the general perception, but hey, this is NF, right?), but I never had a group to play and was too shy to go somewhere to meet people I didn’t know. Now, I feel like I’m too old/too busy to start. Is it as fun as it seems? How did you get started at it?

I always thought it looked cool, too! I think you're in the right social circle here on NF to make a statement like that. ;) As for how I got started... I haven't! Saturday will be my first time. My friend got into it through her boyfriend; she started campaigning with his group after they started dating, first filling in for someone else and then as a regular. They have both been inviting me to stop by for months but I have a conflict on Saturday. I was supposed to go last weekend when my conflict was away visiting her family but I was not feeling great, so I pushed it back to this weekend and pushed my conflict to today. 

I don't think there's such a thing as being too old to start, but I will definitely report back about the fun quotient! 

• Like 3