Wobbegong Prepares for the Best

What's your starter pokemon?   

14 members have voted

1. 1. What's your starter pokemon?

• Bulbasaur
    • Squirtle
    • Charmander
    • Pikachu

I think the only time I ever tried to play D&D was in middle school. Some kid just told me to make some character. I think I was an elf, but I had no clue what so ever what I was doing. I think we even only played for a few minutes before it was all just one big cluster of crap. Though we were all younger, and it was during recess or something. Just never really gave it a try ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hypotheticalfox said:

3. D&D always looked cool (I know that is not the general perception, but hey, this is NF, right?), but I never had a group to play and was too shy to go somewhere to meet people I didn’t know. Now, I feel like I’m too old/too busy to start. Is it as fun as it seems? How did you get started at it?

I most definitely think it is. And a friend I made in third grade had a book she said was a new really cool game where you imagined everything as you played, and she wanted the gang to give it a try. So we did. 30 years later, here I am, currently playing in two play-by-post campaigns since I'm too much of an introvert to brave the open tables at the local game store. One day...

And you're never too old to try something new. Go for it! :) 

• Like 5

I pushed my regular Saturday commitment back to Friday to make room for D&D, but ended up staying up way too late and sleeping in until 10:00 today. WHAT. And I still feel really terrible and gross. (Probably somewhat dehydrated and hungry? Yuck.)

I still hadn't heard from my D&D friend so I texted her when I got up and she told me the event has been moved to tomorrow evening. Sunday. Night. Partying. Noooooooooo. T_T I'll go anyway, since it's been such a hassle to plan, but this is very frustrating. My friend promised the event would be over by 10pm but from there it's still an hour and a half of driving to get back home, so it will be a pretty late night. Again. Followed by work the next day. Ugh. 

Today and tomorrow are not scheduled running days but hopefully I can get in a good walk tomorrow morning. For right now my objective is just to recharge.

• Like 5

Uggggh car accidents are terrible. Just got off the phone with insurance after getting rear-ended on the way home from lunch. 

My car is mostly fine I think. I will take it in just in case. Such a pain. 

My neck hurts a lot. 

Grump grump grump. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

See a doctor about your neck, as soon as possible. If you have whiplash, that might never heal right, and you need to get your insurance company on board with paying your medical bills and/or other related expenses as soon as possible.

Please?

I really hope you're okay and it's just muscle pain.

• Like 3

Following along. Sorry to hear about your accident, hope you're ok? Definitely go to the doctor and get checked out; whiplash sucks.

Your planning for the year sounds really exciting, that's a lot of really cool things to get to do in one year.

On 03/01/2018 at 6:05 PM, Wobbegong said:

Technically it is also appropriate to drink it strained through a sugar cube held between my teeth but I have neither sugar cubes nor the skillset required to do that, so, jam. (Wikipedia claims I could use honey but bleeeech. I like honey but not in tea.) 

That's really interesting. Being British the idea of honey in tea seems totally normal to me, but jam in tea sounds like madness!

On 05/01/2018 at 10:37 PM, Hypotheticalfox said:

D&D always looked cool (I know that is not the general perception, but hey, this is NF, right?), but I never had a group to play and was too shy to go somewhere to meet people I didn’t know. Now, I feel like I’m too old/too busy to start. Is it as fun as it seems? How did you get started at it?

I joined my first campaign a couple of months ago at the age of 28, so I don't think you're ever too old to start. I went on Reddit r/lfg (looking for group) to start with, and from there found an online group for local games. If you have a local games store you can always ask there. I'd definitely recommend it, it's really fun and playing with a group they soon stop being strangers and start being friends.

• Like 3

On 2/1/2018 at 12:30 PM, Wobbegong said:

It helps so much it's ridiculous. For the last challenge or two, I've kind of just been running haphazardly whenever I feel like it (I was doing "until I get out of breath" for a while, and "song by song" for a while). But I never knew when it was time to push myself to do more, and I never felt like I was improving. The app gives me very explicit instructions, so all I have to do is follow orders and I'll start to do better.  

I did something similar to you where I got partway through a C25K program (but for me it was the Zombies, Run! one) and then stopped because of some life reason I can't remember. Glad to see you're going back to it. That's definitely on my to-do list as well once I'm in better shape.

On 4/1/2018 at 4:07 PM, Wobbegong said:

(One way or another, my next job will be teaching English abroad. I would prefer it to be in Japan to start, but it doesn't have to be.) 

Good luck on the interview! Not sure if you know this, but I also teach ESOL. To adults, though, not kids. I have a lot of friends who taught English abroad and as you might expect there are a wide range of experiences, some good, some bad. I'm sure you know to do thorough research on any place you go, and I can tell you for sure it's worth the time it takes to thoroughly vet a place. 

15 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Uggggh car accidents are terrible. Just got off the phone with insurance after getting rear-ended on the way home from lunch. 

My neck hurts a lot. 

Grump grump grump. 

Ugh, so sorry this happened to you. Echoing others' calls to get yourself checked out. It might seem silly now, but better safe than sorry. Sudden jolts can do funny things to the body.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

My neck hurts a lot. 

Grump grump grump. 

That sucks!  But thankfully your car is not hurt too bad. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

See a doctor about your neck, as soon as possible. If you have whiplash, that might never heal right, and you need to get your insurance company on board with paying your medical bills and/or other related expenses as soon as possible.

Please?

I really hope you're okay and it's just muscle pain.

5 hours ago, Jarric said:

Following along. Sorry to hear about your accident, hope you're ok? Definitely go to the doctor and get checked out; whiplash sucks.

2 hours ago, Severine said:

Ugh, so sorry this happened to you. Echoing others' calls to get yourself checked out. It might seem silly now, but better safe than sorry. Sudden jolts can do funny things to the body.

2 hours ago, Butternut said:

That sucks!  But thankfully your car is not hurt too bad. 

Thank you all. I did not go to a doctor yesterday because I was already more than 100% done with everything before the crash and had literally been driving home with the intent to nap, so by the time I got home, dealt with the insurance call, checked in here, got scalyfreak's message, and did some online research about the shitty things insurance companies claim when you wait to get checked out and which doctor to go to after an accident, I was nearly in tears at the thought of postponing sleep any longer to go wait around in an emergency services center. I took my nap instead. 

When I woke up I was no longer hurting. However, I will schedule an appointment anyway just in case, because it's always good to have a record. Thanks again. 

Your planning for the year sounds really exciting, that's a lot of really cool things to get to do in one year.

I've had a few years in a row now of almost nothing exciting happening at all, so it's time. I also finally got my butt into therapy at the end of last year so I'm finally in a place where I'm able to value myself as a person enough to both want to do exciting things and also think I actually can do them. So why the heck not? 

That's really interesting. Being British the idea of honey in tea seems totally normal to me, but jam in tea sounds like madness!

Yeah, even as an idiot US-ian I was raised that honey is the natural* sweetener for tea. Having now tried jam, it's way better. I always had trouble with honey not mixing well and also having too strong an incompatible flavor for the tea, so I'd have basically regular tea for most of the cup and then an ounce of honey-flavored dregs at the bottom. Jam mixes much better throughout and just leaves little hunks of fruit at the bottom, which is a fun end to a cuppa. 

*By natural I mean obvious, not USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC RAW NON GMO etc 

I joined my first campaign a couple of months ago at the age of 28, so I don't think you're ever too old to start. I went on Reddit r/lfg (looking for group) to start with, and from there found an online group for local games. If you have a local games store you can always ask there. I'd definitely recommend it, it's really fun and playing with a group they soon stop being strangers and start being friends.

Agreed! Whenever you're ready is the right time to start. For me there will be a slight delay because my friend's group is like an hour and a half drive away and I'm not doing that on a Sunday night the day after a car accident. But for anyone else following along who feels like D&D is a fun idea but just slightly out of reach, it's really not! 

I did something similar to you where I got partway through a C25K program (but for me it was the Zombies, Run! one) and then stopped because of some life reason I can't remember. Glad to see you're going back to it. That's definitely on my to-do list as well once I'm in better shape.

You should! I'm only a week into my restart but I'm enjoying it tremendously. There is definitely a big hump around the five or six week mark where they jump you from eight minute intervals to a sudden twenty minute stress test, and I think that's a tough one to push past for a lot of people. But with the mentality of "I'm just following instructions; I don't have to think about whether I actually can do it or not" I'm ready to push through! (And then hopefully keep going this time??)

Good luck on the interview! Not sure if you know this, but I also teach ESOL. To adults, though, not kids. I have a lot of friends who taught English abroad and as you might expect there are a wide range of experiences, some good, some bad. I'm sure you know to do thorough research on any place you go, and I can tell you for sure it's worth the time it takes to thoroughly vet a place. 

That sounds vaguely familiar, I think I knew that at some point and then forgot? But that's really cool, do you enjoy it? Teaching anything in the United States is rough work, I'm always very impressed by anyone who hangs onto such a career. 

Yes, thorough research is essential. I also have a bunch of friends who have had very mixed experiences with various programs, so it's important to weigh decisions like that carefully. It's tough enough finding a good job at a good place where you'll enjoy the work and the culture in your own country; when organizing a place to work also includes getting a new home, moving across the world, setting up a life in a place that doesn't speak your language, etc, it's even more vital to know exactly what you're getting into. It's a lot to consider, but I feel ready for it! 

• Like 4

I'm glad you're okay from the accident! Also good that your car is mostly fine.

I think the travel plans aren't crazy. You just need to remember to plan for spending money. And plan for possible travel delays. Also, traveling straight from one side of country to the other is not fun. Do not recommend. Make lots of fun stops! (My parents moved us from Washington to Maryland via train when I was little. I hated it.)

I also really dislike honey in tea. It tastes gross to me. So I just drink it plain. Unless I have a sore throat, then I'll suffer through the honey. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

Thank you! It is on my agenda to take it in tomorrow, but I'm kind of dragging my feet a bit because I have to 1) research the places my insurance covers and find out which one is best, 2) contact my insurance to inform them of my choice, 3) contact the place to find out their procedure for quotes/repairs (I've had some people who want to send someone out to view damage at my home first, and then they quote me, and then they tell me to come in later, and others where I just drive up and say "my car is broken pls fix it" and they take it in immediately), 4) schedule repairs and take my car in, which will probably require coordinating with another driver to get back home, and finally 5) getting my car back somehow. 

Basically the activation energy required to deal with all of this is very high, especially since my car appears mostly undamaged, and I don't want to deal with it. Also having a car is convenient and I have running and grocery shopping to do. Grr. 

I think the travel plans aren't crazy. You just need to remember to plan for spending money. And plan for possible travel delays. Also, traveling straight from one side of country to the other is not fun. Do not recommend. Make lots of fun stops! (My parents moved us from Washington to Maryland via train when I was little. I hated it.)

I am planning on many side trips and fun stops! Money is a thing, but rail travel is also surprisingly inexpensive and I'm comfortably confident I can afford it. I won't be staying in 5 star hotels or anything, but money shouldn't be too big an issue. 

I also really dislike honey in tea. It tastes gross to me. So I just drink it plain. Unless I have a sore throat, then I'll suffer through the honey. 

It tastes gross! I don't like the flavor of honey + tea together. Honey on its own is fine, and I've been instructed that I can take just a spoonful of honey for sore throats if I like. Generally though when I have a sore throat I gargle salt water rather than relying on honey. 

I have always been super picky about plain tea too, so that doesn't seem to work for me (except oolong). Usually I'll try a tea and think "this is great" and buy more of it and subsequent cups are awful. So I'm very, very excited about my Russian Caravan With Milk And Jam because I've had it a bunch and I still really like it. Success!! 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

Usually I'll try a tea and think "this is great" and buy more of it and subsequent cups are awful.

I mostly just run into the problem of it not being strong enough when I follow the seeping directions. If I don't like a tea, I don't like it right away. And then I end up with a bunch of tea sitting around that no one wants to drink. >_< (This has happened much less often since I've started avoiding the cheaper brands.)

• Like 2

This is my note to myself not to be daunted by all my planned car use tomorrow. It's fine, Wobbegong. Your insurance said you could drive your car if you think it's safe, and it's not making any weird noises and doesn't look badly damaged. 

1) Drive to trail head. I will not forego running, but unfortunately my neighborhood is not a safe place to run, given the lack of sidewalks and streetlights, the prevalence of overgrown blind turns, and my own penchant for running pre-dawn in black workout gear.  

2) Drive to grocery store. This is done on the way home from the trail head, so I'll be out anyway. It's fine. You have permission, Wobbegong. 

3) Drive home from the grocery store. Naturally. 

4) Drive car to service provider. Then car will be fixed and returned to you!! Happy ending. 

Being a responsible car-owner after a crash is a pain in the butt, but I will not be thwarted! I'm really enjoying this challenge so far and after a bizarre weekend I'm ready to get back into the swing of things. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

I mostly just run into the problem of it not being strong enough when I follow the seeping directions. If I don't like a tea, I don't like it right away. And then I end up with a bunch of tea sitting around that no one wants to drink. >_< (This has happened much less often since I've started avoiding the cheaper brands.)

Yeah. Cheap teas often have a tannin problem and will get really bitter really quickly if you oversteep them, which makes it difficult to get a nice strong brew. Then again, some teas are supposed to be bitter af, so what the heck do I know? :rolleyes: 

• Like 3

Same about honey and tea! I only drink my tea plain, and right now my preference is for jasmine green. I still can’t fathom the jam and tea, but I’m going to have to give it a go because it’s too interesting not to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Okay, I Missed a few things over the weekend.

I am very glad you are okay after the accident. Hopefully the car is a quick and easy fix. But you may want your neck checked too since Humans are not as easily fixed.

I think the travel sounds kinda cool in a "That will be awesome for you, don't make me go." This was an argument I got into with my MIL at Christmas. We talked about when Hubby went to Vegas and she gave me more crude for not going and I said "I am not comfortable walking around strange cities solo." She said I needed to learn. Sorry, no my anxiety and the way I was programmed as a kid says otherwise.

What I am trying to say is Go for it. I think you will have a blast and if you get out this way, I will have to come find you. Because reasons. Just don't try and convince me to come with you. 

• Like 2

Totally missed a lot... I'm doing this by trying to keep in my head all I just skimmed through :o

I'm glad to hear you're ok after the accident. That's really scary -hug-
At least... It seems so to me.

Did you go to D&D or is that next Sunday?!
I'm being a DM myself currently. I only ever completed one campaign. It ran for 2 years or so?!
And one of my players is new to it, she joined in on session 2 or 3.
So new DM and new player, but we're having a ton of fun. It helps that it's only 4 of us.
I always was interested in D&D, but never had a group until I met my BF. Who had this whole roleplaying (not just D&D) friend group.
But their thing kinda fell apart. So he asked one friend to DM for the two of us and later another friend joined in.
The extra left to travel the world and instead we got another friend involved lol.

Which is a nice bright to your travel plans!!!
It sounds so exciting!!
I always kinda dreamed of traveling around, but I'm too scared / home bound to ever do it I think?!
My autism alarm bells go off just thinking of planning such a thing XD

Planning a year seems daunting, but if it helps you, go for it!
I hope you can fulfill your dreams/plans ^^

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I will respond to everyone in a minute but this just happened and I'm dying laughing

Boss: Can you test registration? We ran out of quota and I want to make sure nothing broke

Me: (Oh yeah our only QA person left on Friday) (wtf is quota?) Sure, what's the testing protocol? Do you just want me to register? 
Boss: [no response] 
Me: (lol joke's on you I'm not trained for QA bro) (also I'm already the only customer support person and now you want me to do qa too? Lol nah) 

My workplace is a hot mess and I'm really glad I have an exit strategy so I can just be amused by things like this instead of worried or stressed. I'm sure I will end up doing more QA over the next couple of months, and that's fine, but seriously like... maybe start thinking about covering essential positions when someone gives you their two weeks, and not after they leave when you're scrambling to get their work done? 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Hypotheticalfox said:

Same about honey and tea! I only drink my tea plain, and right now my preference is for jasmine green. I still can’t fathom the jam and tea, but I’m going to have to give it a go because it’s too interesting not to.

Don't... drink jam in green tea. That sounds really weird and nasty. I'd say go for whatever black tea you tolerate best. Russian Caravan is a blend of Chinese teas, but you would probably be ok with an assam blend too (like a Breakfast tea or Earl Grey or something, if you like those.)  

As far as jam selection, so far I have found that apricot jam imparts a very mild sweetness and indistinct fruity flavor, strawberry jam makes everything super duper strawberry and super duper sweet, and raspberry jam is a nice in-between with a mild raspberry flavor and decent sweetness without being overpowering. But also there are lots of different varieties of jam even within one fruit, so if you're interested feel free to explore! 

4 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Okay, I Missed a few things over the weekend.

I am very glad you are okay after the accident. Hopefully the car is a quick and easy fix. But you may want your neck checked too since Humans are not as easily fixed.

I'm glad too! Getting my neck checked is on my agenda, but the internet tells me regardless of if I'm feeling pain or not, damage likely won't be visible to doctors, and all they'll say is "apply heat" and "stretch gently but a lot." So the main point of going to the doctor now is to set a precedent for the insurance company. 

(Can the United States just get on board with the rest of civilized society and roll out universal single-payer healthcare already? Our system is ridiculous.) 

I think the travel sounds kinda cool in a "That will be awesome for you, don't make me go." This was an argument I got into with my MIL at Christmas. We talked about when Hubby went to Vegas and she gave me more crude for not going and I said "I am not comfortable walking around strange cities solo." She said I needed to learn. Sorry, no my anxiety and the way I was programmed as a kid says otherwise.

Yeah no if it gives you anxiety you should not go. Or like... if it's an anxiety you really want to overcome, try controlled situations a little at a time. Baby steps. I was suuuuper nervous the first time I flew by myself, and the first time I took an international flight by myself, and the first time I took the bus to San Francisco by myself, and the first time I took the ferry to San Francisco by myself. But now having done all those things, I'm pretty comfortable substituting in other places and I don't get too worried about it. But I really wanted to be able to do those things by myself. If you have no need to do them and no desire to do them, what's the point of stressing yourself out? 

What I am trying to say is Go for it. I think you will have a blast and if you get out this way, I will have to come find you. Because reasons. Just don't try and convince me to come with you. 

Thanks! You do not have to come with me lol. One of my stops would be in Chicago. Idk how close that is to the part of IL you're in, but there might be a branch train from Chicago to closer to you that I could take? I would love to hang out. 

I will probably post my general planned itinerary here a few weeks in advance and ask everyone who would like to see me to tell me where they are so I can plan to visit them. Depending on response, I might extend the trip or have more time to explore on my own! Either way is fine. :) 

36 minutes ago, Siferiax said:

Totally missed a lot... I'm doing this by trying to keep in my head all I just skimmed through :o

You did a pretty good job. Nice. 

I'm glad to hear you're ok after the accident. That's really scary -hug-
At least... It seems so to me.

It was more annoying and overwhelming at the time and now just annoying, but of course the immediate sense of getting hit and the moments after are scary for sure. It is my sincere hope that no one else ever be involved in a car accident. (I know it won't come true, but that's my well wishes.) 

Did you go to D&D or is that next Sunday?!
I'm being a DM myself currently. I only ever completed one campaign. It ran for 2 years or so?!
And one of my players is new to it, she joined in on session 2 or 3.
So new DM and new player, but we're having a ton of fun. It helps that it's only 4 of us.
I always was interested in D&D, but never had a group until I met my BF. Who had this whole roleplaying (not just D&D) friend group.
But their thing kinda fell apart. So he asked one friend to DM for the two of us and later another friend joined in.
The extra left to travel the world and instead we got another friend involved lol.

I didn't go! It was this past Sunday but I stayed in. I was too tired for three hours of driving the day before returning to work. I have told my friend that I definitely am interested and she'll let me know another good time when we get there. 

Which is a nice bright to your travel plans!!!
It sounds so exciting!!
I always kinda dreamed of traveling around, but I'm too scared / home bound to ever do it I think?!
My autism alarm bells go off just thinking of planning such a thing XD

Yeeeeeah traveling is a lot of stimulus. But a train ride across the country sounds so fun! I wanna do it!! 

Planning a year seems daunting, but if it helps you, go for it!
I hope you can fulfill your dreams/plans ^^

Thanks! So far it's going pretty well. I should probably be posting more updates about what I'm doing since it's part of my challenge, lol. A year does seem daunting when you're looking at it looming in the future, but at the end of the year it kind of feels the opposite, like it just flew by and you sort of missed it. Or at least, that's how 2015, 2016, and 2017 all felt to me. So hopefully with a good plan in place, that won't happen in 2018. 

• Like 3

On 1/2/2018 at 9:33 AM, Wobbegong said:

After seven years of the same lock password on my phone, last night I changed it. Anyone want to take bets on how long it will take my thumbs to auto-use the correct password instead of the old one? T_T 

In case anyone was wondering, I started remembering I had changed it after the first incorrect key (instead of the fourth) on Saturday, and by today I have pretty much got the new one down. It only took a week to overcome a seven-year standard. 

• Like 3

I began researching car shops. My dad came in. "I need to go grocery shopping and then I have to do some errands and I'm meeting my friends tonight can I use your car?" You can use it for grocery shopping and maybe errands but as soon as I'm done researching it's going to the shop. "Oh let me get you the name of the shop I took my car to, they were great." Ok. But they're not on the list from my insurance people. I'll have to ask if that'll fly. "That's so annoying. You should be able to go wherever you want." 

I narrowed it down to a top contender on the list they gave me and called the insurance people to find out about going to my dad's place. "You can totally go there! It will just take 3-5 days for our adjuster to get out there and confirm the estimate before the shop can start doing work." Uhh. No thanks. I'll go to the place you suggested. I just want this to be over and dealt with. 

• Like 2

Yeeeeeah traveling is a lot of stimulus. But a train ride across the country sounds so fun! I wanna do it!! 

I could, in theory, do this in my country... Except like by car anywhere is about a 2 hour drive away?! XD
But I do wanna go to New Zealand with my BF one day. But then I wanna do one of those hiking things were you walk from sleeping place to sleeping place. We wanted to train last year, but unfortunately my body doesn't support my efforts :(
But yeah train ride cross country sounds like a lot of fun!!!

Also car insurance sounds sucky :(
I used to have a company car and also got into a minor accident. But it was a lot less hassle.
I just had the problem of the other driver trying to blame me as I had a company car and he wasn't insured for damage he caused.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Wow, work does indeed sound like a hot mess. Glad you are ok after the accident. Hopefully, getting the car back to tip top shape won't take too long :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Siferiax said:

I just had the problem of the other driver trying to blame me as I had a company car and he wasn't insured for damage he caused.

The first time I was ever in an accident, the other driver asked me if we could settle between ourselves, since he had just been in an accident recently and didn't want his premium going up too much. I told him I would have to talk to my mother about that and he tried to imply I shouldn't be driving if I was so young I needed my mom's help, and that young people are bad drivers anyway. You rear-ended me, asshole! I stopped at the tail end of a yellow, you wouldn't've made it through the light anyway! Jerk. 

Every accident I've ever been in has been a rear-ending. Of all the ways to be in an accident, it's probably the best, but I'd prefer if there were slightly fewer of them all the same. (Not all have been while I was driving. Whenever I'm in someone else's car and someone hits us, it's also always a rear-ending. I was in three in two weeks once when I was in high school.) 

• Like 2