• Pikachu

19 hours ago, Hypotheticalfox said:

Yay! Great job!

19 hours ago, Severine said:

Congrats!

17 hours ago, Tateman said:

Congrats!

16 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

This is totally AWESOME. Congrats. I am sure you will rock the interview.

10 hours ago, Siferiax said:

Hooray!!! Congrats!!!

Thank you!!!! <3 :D :applause: I'm very excited and pleased. 

So because of the years I spent farming, I have years of experience driving and repairing tractors, forklifts, bobcats, and random other machinery. And I lost track of the number of times some dude who was visiting the farm for a tour or to pick up veggies or whatever (and in one case, a dude applying for a job) tried to give me unnecessary (and quite often wrong) advice on the machinery that it was literally my job to understand and drive. A bunch of times dudes ran over while I was in the middle of loading some pallets onto a truck, or backing up a trailer into the barn, or something, and proceeded to wave their arms and try to direct me. Like...no? Get the fuck out of my way? At first I was polite about it but after a couple of years I got really tired of it because, surprise, it never happened to any of the dudes I worked with. So eventually I got pretty salty about it and did not hesitate to tell them to fuck off.

Also I much prefer driving stick, but I share a car with two people who don't know how to drive it and aren't super interested to learn so  :(

That's a bummer. Everyone in my household except my mom prefers driving stick, and even she knows how and can manage in a pinch. Re: the unwanted "assistance"... yeah. That's obnoxious af, I'm sorry that was such a regular occurrence for you. Super glad to hear you got salty about it! I mean, it sucks you had to, but it's good to feel confident telling someone to fuck off. :D 

My partner eats oatmeal every morning, and they grind up a tablespoon of flax and stir it in. Can't even taste it. I've had it in yoghurt with jam, too, and because of the texture of jam it basically wasn't noticeable. 

Yoghurt! It's been so long! I'll give that a try. Oatmeal is fine but I kind of go through phases of "ALL OATMEAL NOM" and "ehhhh oatmeal... nahhh" and I'm not pro-oatmeal right now. :rolleyes: I'll keep it in mind for when the tides change, though, since it's sure to happen in the next year or so. 

Also: trust me, you do not have gout. My grandfather has it. Gout does not present like that.

Good luck getting your toe sorted!

It magically stopped hurting, so I've just continued to rest and gently stretch it and so far so good. I never really thought I had gout but I was a little surprised that it was the first and most common response for my symptoms. :blink:

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Hypotheticalfox said:

one portion should be roughly how many eggs (in the shell) you can hold in one hand. For me that was four.

In one hand?.... :concern:

In one hand..... :cower:

In one hand..... :eagerness:

Thanks to the magic of balance and stacking, I can hold nine!  Seems about right for a portion size to me. :D 

yWg5O_s-200x150.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hazard said:

In one hand?.... :concern:

In one hand..... :cower:

In one hand..... :eagerness:

As usual Hazard is the NF emoji grandmaster. Such eloquent emoji use, every time. 

I thought you ate like 30 eggs a day, if you only eat nine per meal do you also snack on them or something? You're three eggs short otherwise, if you eat three meals a day. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

As usual Hazard is the NF emoji grandmaster. Such eloquent emoji use, every time. 

I thought you ate like 30 eggs a day, if you only eat nine per meal do you also snack on them or something? You're three eggs short otherwise, if you eat three meals a day. 

I got tired of shelling so many boiled eggs.  It was too time-consuming.  I went back to mostly chicken and whey for my daily-regular protein sources.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Hazard said:

I got tired of shelling so many boiled eggs.  It was too time-consuming.  I went back to mostly chicken and whey for my daily-regular protein sources.

Ever take a stab at those chicken livers? I'm still struggling to locate them in my grocery store, although I've been assured they're there somewhere... 

• Like 1

Good heavens, four eggs at a time sounds very filling indeed. I'm not sure I could eat that many. I usually eat two at a time and sometimes three if I'm really hungry. I guess I should try this hand test and see how many I can actually hold, that's an interesting metric. But also for some reason depending on how the egg is cooked I can eat very different amounts of egg. For example, I only like one or two fried or poached eggs at once, but I'll eat more if they're hardboiled or scrambled. Curious. (Of course, if they're deviled the limit does not exist.) 

Technically mushrooms are also a protein, so eggs were not the only protein on my plate. And there was more mushroom than potato. In terms of macros it was still probably not the best breakfast but damn was it delicious.  

Mushrooms are a protein? I learn something new all the time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hypotheticalfox said:

Mushrooms are a protein? I learn something new all the time!

Mushrooms are mostly water. 

Per 70g white mushrooms (one cup), there are 1.6g net carbs (2.3 total - .7 fiber), .2g fat, and 2.2g protein. So technically more protein than other macros sort of but still not really much of anything in them. (Mushrooms are actually great for you, just not a huge macro boost.) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Ever take a stab at those chicken livers? I'm still struggling to locate them in my grocery store, although I've been assured they're there somewhere... 

Mostly the same problem.  One of my grocers showed a product online, but when I went to two of their local stores I found they didn’t carry it.

• Like 1

I ate a lot of great fat and protein for breakfast today! I feel really full and not really tired so that's fanTASTIC. I also remembered to put flax in my salad last night!!! Such success. 

I haven't been working on my 2018 planning at all because I'm a slovenly slacker but whatever. It'll happen. I'm sure of it. 

I did go for my run today!! I totally overslept again, but there was not even any consideration of skipping running. It was not a possible outcome of the morning. I went for it. (Jesus Christ going out an hour later makes things much warmer. It wasn't unpleasant, of course, since it was still foggy and clammy and winter, but damn.) I skipped one of the run intervals though T_T I was out of breath. I'm trying to figure out if I need to run slower or just run more to fix this. Hrmmmm. 

I got a new pair of headphones (not really) for running, since I worry about hearing damage caused by earbuds and I hate running with over-ear headphones on. They're basically small bluetooth speakers that attach to my clothes. They work great and would be perfect except they're WAY TOO LOUD OMG. It's like running in a rock concert! I'm very sensitive to volume, so this might be a problem. Even on the lowest possible setting they were much too loud. :/ I will try to figure out how to manage this, but in the meantime I might just run without music for a while. Grr. 

• Like 4

Hi Wobbe!  Super late to the party, and I didn't get through every post, but I have to tell you that I love your planning goal for this challenge!  I've been a bit out of sorts just getting back from vacation and was pondering if I wanted to do a challenge this round since things were so wonky.  I mused about using this challenge for planning, but I felt like I was cheating a little bit.  However, if a guild leader is doing it (although you're also doing a bunch of other stuff that I probably not be, but shh), I feel justified!  Huzzah! :P

18 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

My bestie just sent me this and I'm so pleased: 

http://maderr.tumblr.com/post/169560460525/i-will-survive

Moar fish always plz k thx

This was epic to read. :D 

1 hour ago, Wobbegong said:

I got a new pair of headphones (not really) for running, since I worry about hearing damage caused by earbuds and I hate running with over-ear headphones on. They're basically small bluetooth speakers that attach to my clothes. They work great and would be perfect except they're WAY TOO LOUD OMG. It's like running in a rock concert! I'm very sensitive to volume, so this might be a problem. Even on the lowest possible setting they were much too loud. :/ I will try to figure out how to manage this, but in the meantime I might just run without music for a while. Grr. 

Yeah, I struggle with this too.  I usually run with only one of my bluetooth headphones in because the volume can't go any lower on the phone or on the headphones.  If yours don't go in your ears, maybe you could get some of the foam they use for headphones and wrap them again?  Not sure if it'd distort or just muffle it a little, but maybe you could even try with scrap fabric?   

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jlailin said:

Hi Wobbe!  Super late to the party, and I didn't get through every post, but I have to tell you that I love your planning goal for this challenge!  I've been a bit out of sorts just getting back from vacation and was pondering if I wanted to do a challenge this round since things were so wonky.  I mused about using this challenge for planning, but I felt like I was cheating a little bit.  However, if a guild leader is doing it (although you're also doing a bunch of other stuff that I probably not be, but shh), I feel justified!  Huzzah! :P

Hi Jlailin!! I'm so glad you're here. I was wondering where you'd gotten off to. For the record, I also needed a guild leader's permission to use this challenge for planning. ;) @zeroh13 graciously supplied both the idea and the instruction in one go when I was freaking out about it at the end of last challenge, haha. 

If your challenge is more about planning than actually doing the fitness things this time around, that's fine. Setting yourself up for success is an important part of changing for the better, and I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to make significant change without a good plan. True, not everyone needs or wants the same things when it comes to structure, but I'd say if you do want to write your own plan and it will help you stay on track, as is the case for me, in what way is it not relevant to a 4WC? 

This was epic to read. :D 

Fish are fantastic. I was especially pleased that the OP didn't use any phrase along the lines of "hasn't evolved for [400 million years or whatever]." Every generation, everything evolves. If something has a niche and everything is working well, of course it will evolve to stay in that niche and maintain functionality?! That doesn't mean it's not evolving! That phrasing drives me nuts so OP earned major points for not going there. 

Yeah, I struggle with this too.  I usually run with only one of my bluetooth headphones in because the volume can't go any lower on the phone or on the headphones.  If yours don't go in your ears, maybe you could get some of the foam they use for headphones and wrap them again?  Not sure if it'd distort or just muffle it a little, but maybe you could even try with scrap fabric?   

They're two speakers connected to each other by a cord, and only one of them has like power and volume control buttons so I assume the cord is somewhat essential. So no using just one at a time. I guess I could try muffling? I suppose today I was wearing them on my sweatshirt, but I could also always just attach them to my running shirt and put the sweatshirt over them, that'd probably help. 

32 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

You should be able to adjust the media volume on your phone. If the sound output from the phone is lower in volume, that might help?

I went looking for a media volume adjustment on my phone at your suggestion and I'm not sure if I found one or not. The speaker volume buttons connect to the phone, so when one changes the other changes. They don't seem to be independent. Which is a pain in the ass. I did find a setting in music called "Volume Limit" so I lowered that (it was at max) and maybe it'll help? I'll report back tomorrow (or Saturday if I give myself a rest day) and let you know. Either the volume limit works or I put the damn things under my sweatshirt. 

Thanks for the suggestions!! 

• Like 3

On 1/9/2018 at 2:04 AM, Siferiax said:

Manual is the default here and you pay extra for auto.

It's the opposite here. And it's getting harder to find manual. One of the women I volunteer with drives stick, and she just got a new car. She couldn't get the same model (or even manufacturer I think), because manual in that car is just not an option anymore. Unless you order one from Europe. 

On 1/9/2018 at 5:17 PM, Wobbegong said:

I JUST GOT WORD FROM JET

GUESS WHO MADE IT TO THE INTERVIEW ROUND

THIS GIRL

HECK YEAH

AWESOME!!!!

tenor.gif

• Like 2

Toucans suddenly became creepy XD

Also I hope you figure it out with the headphone volume :)
Sounds like you got some solid tips from everyone!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I WAS SO GOOD TODAY YOU GUYS

I ran THREE errands, two of which were last-minute JET interview preparations. 

1. Get fingerprinted for FBI background check.

Spoiler

I was so thoroughly thwarted trying to do this initially when I tried months ago I gave up and forgot about it until yesterday when I was reviewing what I needed to bring to the interview. Since I applied for early-bird or whatever it's called, FBI background check results. Whoops. I figured out there's a FBI-approved channeler (third party company that moves faster but costs more) with a location in San Francisco, so into the city with me. 

In San Francisco there is a place called "Embarcadero Center" that is basically a four-block shopping mall, with each block numbered, starting at #4 on Embarcadero St and proceeding up to #1 on Battery St. Why they didn't number the blocks in the opposite direction is a mystery to everyone. Anyway, it's sort of a three-story plaza-type thing, and I used to walk through it all the time on my way to work because if you just go up to the second level you can walk through the whole thing without having to wait for any streetlights. But the Channeler company listed itself with an address at One Embarcadero Center Ste 552. 552? That would be on the fifth floor. Of a three-floor plaza. Hmmm. 

I searched high and low online for a map of Embarcadero Center, I swear to god I did. No such thing exists. I shrugged and went for it anyway. One Embarcadero Center, huh? It's only three floors, easy enough to wander around until I find the damn place. 

Sigh. There are lobby-looking entrances to side-buildings branching off of Embarcadero Center that appear to house offices, so I eventually wandered into the one attached to One. Timidly, I asked the person at the reception if they had a directory or had heard of the place I was looking for. Bright smiles. "Fifth floor! Elevators right behind you." ...I had no idea those offices counted as part of the mall, you guys. There's also a housing development there. You can live in the mall. What. 

My adventure wasn't over. The fifth floor was a labyrinth of winding, branching hallways, with doors numbered in no discernible order and with no helpful signs saying "50-75 -->". I asked for help again. A kind lady said "go down that hall behind you, turn left, and then 52 will be on your left." Those instructions almost got me there. #52 was on the right, and HIDDEN BEHIND A GODDAMN PILLAR SO IT DIDN'T APPEAR TO BE THERE AT ALL. Ugh. I walked past it the first time, but figured it out eventually. 

THEN the guy taking my fingerprints was new and not really familiar with the system but the only person there (I would like to point out that I scheduled an appointment and showed up on time despite my wandering adventures) and apparently my fingers are print-shy. Or scan-shy, I guess, since it was an electronic print scanner. It took us six tries to get passable prints and I'm still not 100% convinced they'll be able to read my thumbs. Grump grump grump. 

Finally he got scans he thought would work and I asked if there was anything else I needed to do and he looked at me blankly and said, "oh, we don't handle the background checks, you have to submit an application. There's a form." Great. Do you have the forms here? "No." So it's online? "I guess?" I finally found it when I got home but it was about as confusing as can be and I'm not sure I submitted it correctly, since it told me that I should fill out a PDF electronically and then email it to them, but it required a signature and wasn't set up to accept one, and all of the data I entered was into like. Text boxes. So. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2. Buy new toe shoes!

Spoiler

My old ones are falling apart D: And I finally bought a pair of decent-looking zero drop shoes for around towning, so I figured it was time to get some toe shoes that are actually, y'know, cut out for trail running and the amount of mud I slosh through. The online world was basically only able to confirm that Vibram sizes are suuuuper inconsistent across models, so I popped over to REI to try some on. But of course they did not have my size. Sigh. The smallest they had was one size above what my old pair were, but they were reeeeeally long, so I'm not sure if my usual size will be small enough or not. So much for the convenience of brick and mortar stores. 

3. Get my suit pants hemmed! 

Spoiler

I bought a suit the first time I interviewed for JET and I love the pants but they've always been too long. I've needed to get them hemmed for four years and keep not thinking about it and wearing them to interviews anyway. Bad Wobbe. At this point the old hems were falling out anyway, but I found a tailor in my town with great yelp reviews and with the help of one such review and a convenient map his shop was magically not that difficult to find. The tailor was very professional, polite, and quick, and just had me try the pants on so he could confirm how short I wanted the hems and mark them up. He quoted me $18 and said they'd be ready Wednesday. I have no idea if I got fleeced or not since I've never gotten anything tailored before but it seems pretty reasonable, and Wednesday is more than soon enough, so I'm happy. 

I did not run since I ran yesterday. I'll run tomorrow, and test out your suggestions for my stupid (fantastic) speakers then and report back. For now... time to chill out and bask in my productivity! 

• Like 5

I went on my run today, as promised. I managed to fall flat on my face during the final run interval. Slightly scraped knee, small amount of friction burn on my tummy, and... I tore the fuck out of my toe. At least it's not the same toe? (The same toe but on the other foot.) It hurts like crazy. 

Squick spoilers

Spoiler

I tore the nail down the middle, have significant bruising under the nail (for now... it will probably fall off at some point), and also sliced off most of the skin on the end of the toe. It's still attached, but just by a little flap, so... not messing with that. 

As for the speakers... the Volume Limit slider apparently does not function the way I hoped it would. Muffling the speakers works, but not hiding them under my clothing, and muffling them with what I was wearing was impractical, so I just didn't listen to music for this run. Which is fine, it was crazy foggy so it was nice to listen to the quiet. 

I also got my JET interview schedule today! I am not allowed to post any details "to avoid confusion" but it's good to know when it is, at least. :) 

• Like 4

I went on my run today, as promised. I managed to fall flat on my face during the final run interval. Slightly scraped knee, small amount of friction burn on my tummy, and... I tore the fuck out of my toe. At least it's not the same toe? (The same toe but on the other foot.) It hurts like crazy. 

Squick spoilers
Spoiler I tore the nail down the middle, have significant bruising under the nail (for now... it will probably fall off at some point), and also sliced off most of the skin on the end of the toe. It's still attached, but just by a little flap, so... not messing with that. 

As for the speakers... the Volume Limit slider apparently does not function the way I hoped it would. Muffling the speakers works, but not hiding them under my clothing, and muffling them with what I was wearing was impractical, so I just didn't listen to music for this run. Which is fine, it was crazy foggy so it was nice to listen to the quiet. 

I also got my JET interview schedule today! I am not allowed to post any details "to avoid confusion" but it's good to know when it is, at least.  

Oh, I hate falls. Especially the falling nail... can't cope with the mental image!

Even if you are not allowed to post, do you know the details yourself or is it so secret they won't share where etc. with you?!?

Good luck!!! you'll rock it!!
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Squick spoilers

Hide contents

I tore the nail down the middle, have significant bruising under the nail (for now... it will probably fall off at some point), and also sliced off most of the skin on the end of the toe. It's still attached, but just by a little flap, so... not messing with that. 

I also got my JET interview schedule today! I am not allowed to post any details "to avoid confusion" but it's good to know when it is, at least. :) 

Ouch! falling is the worst.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Diadhuit said:

Oh, I hate falls. Especially the falling nail... can't cope with the mental image!

11 hours ago, Tateman said:

Yeah not my favorite activity. Also the number of places that are sore in the aftermath continues to increase, so that's less than stellar. In particular there is a really tender spot above and to the side of my left knee... it's not discolored, but it really hurts when touched or sometimes when I walk. Boo. 

21 hours ago, Diadhuit said:

Even if you are not allowed to post, do you know the details yourself or is it so secret they won't share where etc. with you?!? emoji14.png

Good luck!!! you'll rock it!!

Thank you!! Yes, I do know the details. They just ask that we not post about them online because different consulates handle interviews differently and they don't want anyone to get confused. But I know when and where it is and what to bring, although unfortunately not really how to prepare. :rolleyes: The job requirements are just "be a native English speaker" and "have a Bachelor's degree" and "be in good health" so there's not really anything to study. But I can reflect on why I want this job, why Japan, why English, how I'd teach, who I'd like to teach, etc. I'm not sure they'll ask about any of that but thinking about those things gives me something to do, so that's nice at least. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Tateman said:

I disagree, falling can be a lot of fun.

The sudden stop right at the end of the fall often really ruins the experience though.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I disagree, falling can be a lot of fun.

The sudden stop right at the end of the fall often really ruins the experience though.

This can be true :)

• Like 2