What's your starter pokemon?   

14 members have voted

1. 1. What's your starter pokemon?

• Bulbasaur
    • Squirtle
    • Charmander
    • Pikachu

On 1/11/2018 at 1:22 PM, Wobbegong said:

I'm very sensitive to volume, so this might be a problem.

This is good, because if you’re like me and prefers music to be so loud that it obliterates all higher thoughts, you end up being 35 with significant hearing loss, whoops!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Plazmotic said:

This is good, because if you’re like me and prefers music to be so loud that it obliterates all higher thoughts, you end up being 35 with significant hearing loss, whoops!

That is something I am actively trying to avoid. You can't repair the damage done to your little inner ear hairs, and I already have tinnitus and have for years, so I've definitely done them some harm already. I tend not to take good care of myself at loud venues and in the day-to-day with loud or sudden noises (I really should wear earplugs on public transit, for example) so these headphones were part of an effort to move away from earbuds, which are another thing on the "better not" list. 

But they are really loud, and they do sort of give me anxiety that I'm bothering the other people on the trail, so they might not be the perfect solution. 

• Like 3

I didn't run today! TT_TT 

I would've liked to but my toe is still in nasty shape and after my fall my old running shoes, which were on their way out already, have pretty much gone kaput. As I wait for a new pair to arrive, I notice that despite my dedication to unsupportive footwear, I have a shocking lack of appropriate activewear. Basically I only had one pair of shoes I could run in and without them I'm screwed. 

My other options are flats, sandals, slippers, or the two pairs of shoes I have for nicer occasions/interviews, a pair of oxfords and a pair of pumps. I have a pair of zero-drop boots arriving soon (they are intended to replace the oxfords as a slightly-nicer option while still being good for my feet), but I'd rather not run in leather boots, if you know what I mean. 

My old shoes were Vibram FiveFinger KSO EVOs, and when I got them I intended them as an all-around shoe and I wore them everywhere (errands, commute, work, city, trail, everywhere), but lately I've only been using them for trail running and since they're not designed for it and they had some heavy use on them already, they didn't hold up well. They've also got extraordinarily terrible grip on wet surfaces. So I bought a replacement pair of FiveFingers that are specifically for trail running (V-Trails), but I'm wondering if I should get a backup pair of KSO EVOs for the next time my running shoes give out? And also for in case I ever want to wander around in FiveFingers but don't want to ruin my V-Trails on pavement? Hmmmmm... 

These thoughts are 100% in-line with my tendency to buy lots of shoes and 0% in-line with my efforts to minimize my lifestyle. I'm so proud of myself for having only six pairs of shoes right now. But given my running lifestyle and my love for FiveFingers... it doesn't seem like it's necessarily over-indulging? Idk. I'll have to think about it. Best to wait and see if I ever actually want to wear FiveFingers around town once my boots arrive before I buy a just-in-case pair, I suppose. 

• Like 6

I didn't run today! TT_TT 

I would've liked to but my toe is still in nasty shape and after my fall my old running shoes, which were on their way out already, have pretty much gone kaput. As I wait for a new pair to arrive, I notice that despite my dedication to unsupportive footwear, I have a shocking lack of appropriate activewear. Basically I only had one pair of shoes I could run in and without them I'm screwed. 

My other options are flats, sandals, slippers, or the two pairs of shoes I have for nicer occasions/interviews, a pair of oxfords and a pair of pumps. I have a pair of zero-drop boots arriving soon (they are intended to replace the oxfords as a slightly-nicer option while still being good for my feet), but I'd rather not run in leather boots, if you know what I mean. 

My old shoes were Vibram FiveFinger KSO EVOs, and when I got them I intended them as an all-around shoe and I wore them everywhere (errands, commute, work, city, trail, everywhere), but lately I've only been using them for trail running and since they're not designed for it and they had some heavy use on them already, they didn't hold up well. They've also got extraordinarily terrible grip on wet surfaces. So I bought a replacement pair of FiveFingers that are specifically for trail running (V-Trails), but I'm wondering if I should get a backup pair of KSO EVOs for the next time my running shoes give out? And also for in case I ever want to wander around in FiveFingers but don't want to ruin my V-Trails on pavement? Hmmmmm... 

These thoughts are 100% in-line with my tendency to buy lots of shoes and 0% in-line with my efforts to minimize my lifestyle. I'm so proud of myself for having only six pairs of shoes right now. But given my running lifestyle and my love for FiveFingers... it doesn't seem like it's necessarily over-indulging? Idk. I'll have to think about it. Best to wait and see if I ever actually want to wear FiveFingers around town once my boots arrive before I buy a just-in-case pair, I suppose. 

What zero drop boots did you order, and are they fashion-y boots or winter-y boots? My feet are fine in just about anything that’s the right size but my husband converted to zero drop merrel running sneakers with vibram soles for just about everything (including running) a few years ago but is constantly disappointed by the offerings of zero drop winter boots. If your a zero drop/ barefoot person, any good recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hypotheticalfox said:

What zero drop boots did you order, and are they fashion-y boots or winter-y boots? My feet are fine in just about anything that’s the right size but my husband converted to zero drop merrel running sneakers with vibram soles for just about everything (including running) a few years ago but is constantly disappointed by the offerings of zero drop winter boots. If your a zero drop/ barefoot person, any good recommendations?

This is the men's version of the boots I ordered: https://www.lemsshoes.com/shop/mens-boulder-boot-leather-raven.html

They're probably not suitable for heavy winters but I live in coastal California so snow is not a huge issue for me. Since they're leather, I did purchase a leather care kit that also comes with a waterproofing solution, so I can at least protect them from the rain. There are also cloth versions of the shoe in a variety of colors that obviously come with slightly different specs (still zero-drop), and those might be warmer.  

On the subject of winter boots, since I was kind of all over the Vibram website trying to decide what trail shoe to get, I couldn't help but notice these Furoshikis: http://us.vibram.com/shop/furoshiki/mid-boots/furoshiki-new-yorker-mid-boot-powered-by-vibram-arctic-grip---mens/FUMIDNYAGM.html?dwvar_FUMIDNYAGM_color=Black#q=Furoshiki%2BNew%2BYorker%2BMid%2BBoot%2BPowered&submit=&start=1

You'd still need crampons if you were walking on a really icy surface, but they're designed to keep you warm, at least. The only thing is... the listing doesn't actually say the shoe is zero-drop. If your husband is interested, I'd say contact customer service for more details. The description *does* say they're sized like five fingers, so I'd assume that means "closely molded to your foot," but it's probably best to check first just in case. 

For slightly nicer wear, and this... probably wouldn't apply to your husband, but just in case you're interested, or anyone else is following along... I really like Rothy's. They're not quite zero-drop, but they're made out of recycled water bottles and machine-knit with no seams. Also machine-washable, very durable, and stretchy! I have the black points, but they are a little narrow. (AKA normal width, probably. I have really wide feet from my barefooting tendencies.) Since they stretch so much, though, it's not really a problem. https://rothys.com/collections/women So far I think they're online-only, but they are true-to-size, so that's helpful. 

I was looking at zero-drop boot options for motorcycle riding recently (I don't ride but I'm considering it for some point in the future maybe) and there really aren't any, so I understand your husband's struggle. Best of luck! 

• Like 5

OKay, so Wobbegong has been busy.

Yay on the interview and the fingerprint thing and getting the new shoes ordered.

Boo on the fall and the fact that you have to wait for new shoes. Hopefully things get better there. How is the other toe that was all swollen? I may of missed that part.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Boo on the fall and the fact that you have to wait for new shoes. Hopefully things get better there. How is the other toe that was all swollen? I may of missed that part.

It magically stopped hurting and returned to looking normal so I'm assuming I just strained it or something. I've been resting it and keeping watchful but I have much more painful body parts since my fall to worry about and that toe hasn't bothered me so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But thank you for checking in. :) 

I'm gonna have to figure out some barefooted exercise I can do that puts my sliced up toe in no danger while I wait to go running again. Maybe squats? I don't have to do anything special with my toes for squats. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

It magically stopped hurting and returned to looking normal so I'm assuming I just strained it or something. I've been resting it and keeping watchful but I have much more painful body parts since my fall to worry about and that toe hasn't bothered me so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But thank you for checking in. :) 

This is true. I was just hoping you hadn't hurt both feet and were in worse shape. Lets call it a mild sprain and I am glad it was nothing serious.

5 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

I'm gonna have to figure out some barefooted exercise I can do that puts my sliced up toe in no danger while I wait to go running again. Maybe squats? I don't have to do anything special with my toes for squats. 

You could try leg lifts and things too. Good luck with that toe. I think waiting to run is a good idea.

• Like 2

This is the men's version of the boots I ordered: https://www.lemsshoes.com/shop/mens-boulder-boot-leather-raven.html

They're probably not suitable for heavy winters but I live in coastal California so snow is not a huge issue for me. Since they're leather, I did purchase a leather care kit that also comes with a waterproofing solution, so I can at least protect them from the rain. There are also cloth versions of the shoe in a variety of colors that obviously come with slightly different specs (still zero-drop), and those might be warmer.  

On the subject of winter boots, since I was kind of all over the Vibram website trying to decide what trail shoe to get, I couldn't help but notice these Furoshikis: http://us.vibram.com/shop/furoshiki/mid-boots/furoshiki-new-yorker-mid-boot-powered-by-vibram-arctic-grip---mens/FUMIDNYAGM.html?dwvar_FUMIDNYAGM_color=Black#q=Furoshiki%2BNew%2BYorker%2BMid%2BBoot%2BPowered&submit=&start=1

You'd still need crampons if you were walking on a really icy surface, but they're designed to keep you warm, at least. The only thing is... the listing doesn't actually say the shoe is zero-drop. If your husband is interested, I'd say contact customer service for more details. The description *does* say they're sized like five fingers, so I'd assume that means "closely molded to your foot," but it's probably best to check first just in case. 

For slightly nicer wear, and this... probably wouldn't apply to your husband, but just in case you're interested, or anyone else is following along... I really like Rothy's. They're not quite zero-drop, but they're made out of recycled water bottles and machine-knit with no seams. Also machine-washable, very durable, and stretchy! I have the black points, but they are a little narrow. (AKA normal width, probably. I have really wide feet from my barefooting tendencies.) Since they stretch so much, though, it's not really a problem. https://rothys.com/collections/women So far I think they're online-only, but they are true-to-size, so that's helpful. 

I was looking at zero-drop boot options for motorcycle riding recently (I don't ride but I'm considering it for some point in the future maybe) and there really aren't any, so I understand your husband's struggle. Best of luck! 

Thank you so much for all of the info! The vibram boots look great, but the price is more than I think he’d ever spend on one piece of any type of clothing. Though if they go on sale at the end of the season...
The other ones are cool, but I think you’re right, they probably wouldn’t work for buffalo winters. I, however, am declaring it. You are the official shoe/boot guru!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Hypotheticalfox said:

Thank you so much for all of the info! The vibram boots look great, but the price is more than I think he’d ever spend on one piece of any type of clothing. Though if they go on sale at the end of the season...
The other ones are cool, but I think you’re right, they probably wouldn’t work for buffalo winters. I, however, am declaring it. You are the official shoe/boot guru!

No problem! Yeah, those Vibram boots just came out in fall, so they're still brand new. Definitely check back around December or early January next year, since they do often have 50% off "last season's colors" sales. You might have to force yourself to be very un-picky (I was not able to overcome my aversion to bright yellow trail runners... the yellow was cute and all but they're going to be covered in mud?!) but you can take advantage of some good deals. 

I do like to stay abreast of the zero-drop options. More and more are coming to market, so I usually check in once a year or so and there's always something new.  I've also magically trained facebook to only give me ads for decent footwear, which helps... not quite sure how that happened but I'll take it! I rarely buy but it's good to know my options. 

This is true. I was just hoping you hadn't hurt both feet and were in worse shape. Lets call it a mild sprain and I am glad it was nothing serious.

You could try leg lifts and things too. Good luck with that toe. I think waiting to run is a good idea.

Agreed! I'll think about leg lifts. That would require core work... sigh. My aversion indicates it's time to suck it up. My core is really out of shape. 

3 hours ago, Siferiax said:

Yikes!!! That sounds painful. Hope it all heals soon again! -big hug-

Also much luck on your interview!!

Thanks! So far it seems to be healing well but I am trying to be as gentle as possible with it. And thank you also for the luck! You've reminded me to schedule time off work for it. Better get on that. 

• Like 3

From the list of Scalyfreaks Knee Rehab Exercises:

1. Lay on your back and tighten your thigh muscles until your leg lifts off the floor. Lower back down slowly (control the motion!) Do 3 sets of 10 on each leg.

2. Roll over on your stomach. Tighten your glutes until your leg lifts off the ground. Keep the leg straight and hold for three deep breaths, lower leg slow;y. Do 3 sets of 10 on each leg.

3. Stand on something that puts one of your feet 3-5 inches above the other (like stairs), and bend that leg so both feet are flat on the floor. Straighten that leg, then lower until other foot is flat again. Do 3 sets of 10 on each leg.

The first two are surprisingly brutal if you do them correctly, with all leg muscles tight the entire time.

• Like 4

Yay, interview! I have such a hard time finding shoes that work for my needs that I always try to buy an extra in case something happens to the first. I don't know if that helps your shoe conundrum any, but there it is. I hope your toe feels better soon!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, PollyannaAgain said:

Yay, interview! I have such a hard time finding shoes that work for my needs that I always try to buy an extra in case something happens to the first. I don't know if that helps your shoe conundrum any, but there it is. I hope your toe feels better soon!

You almost had me sold but then I visited ValkyrieRising's challenge and remembered one of the main things I'm working on in my challenge, planning my year, is all about limiting my options and making my path forward clear. So I'm gonna apply that sentiment to shoes and not get any more than I actually need. 

On the subject of shoes, my Lems arrived today!! They are so comfortable through the foot, I'm really impressed! (And gratified because I had no idea if I was getting the right size. But success!) They are very stiff around the ankle, so I've unlaced the top set of laces and may unlace them further while I break them in. It's been a loooong time since I wore a shoe that was tall enough to wrap around my ankles like that, so I had forgotten it was an issue. But they'll work just fine. 

They came with two pairs of laces, one red and one black, and they were pre-laced with the red ones, so that's how I tried them on. I showed my dad and he really liked them, but I prefer the black laces. I think the red draws too much attention to the shoe, and the black looks a lot more "down to business," so I switched them. These are the official pictures, but the red laces are more of a burgundy color in real life. What do you guys think? Red or black?  

IMG_9691__33432.1482175193.1280.1280.jpg   IMG_9753__62095.1482175195.1280.1280.jpg

I also found a great way to exercise without threatening my toe! (Except with the threat of squishing it, I guess.) I helped my dad move our piano into his truck. We employed a pair of dollies and an enormous winch to limit the amount of hefting we had to do ourselves, but we still had to lift it onto the dollies in the first place and I got to stabilize the damn thing as my dad managed the winch and backup jack. For some reason my dad was really worried I wouldn't be able to pull my weight with the dolly part of the exercise, and after we got the first one on commented, "Wow, you're really strong." Uh, excuse me, we lift with our legs and in case you haven't noticed my squat is fierce. (Bitch.) Fierce enough that I can squat-lift half a piano on one leg and maneuver a dolly under the damn thing with the other, heck yeah, I'm impressive. (Well, I thought it was normal, but my dad was impressed. C'mon, I'm heavy but not just from fat! I'm buff af under all this cushioning! But it's definitely a good thing I've been working on those shrimp squats.) 

So in the end I did get my core workout in, even if it was in a bit of an unconventional manner, and got plenty of leg and shoulder work in too. Fun times! 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

We employed a pair of dollies and an enormous winch to limit the amount of hefting we had to do ourselves, but we still had to lift it onto the dollies in the first place and I got to stabilize the damn thing as my dad managed the winch and backup jack. For some reason my dad was really worried I wouldn't be able to pull my weight with the dolly part of the exercise, and after we got the first one on commented, "Wow, you're really strong." Uh, excuse me, we lift with our legs and in case you haven't noticed my squat is fierce. (Bitch.) Fierce enough that I can squat-lift half a piano on one leg and maneuver a dolly under the damn thing with the other, heck yeah, I'm impressive.

Damn right. Welcome to the Warrior class, where we outlift the men in our lives. B)

Shoe laces: Black for work, red for play. :) 

• Like 3

Black laces are more professional :)
I think it depends on their purpose which color is right. I think red is a lot of fun, but as you said it does draw attention to the shoes.

As for the lifting, wow you're strong
But then again I have noodles for muscles :D

Spam from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Ooh boots. I will be honest, I own 3 pairs of shoes, my do everything Logger boots (Complete with screws in the soles to hold them on (I may of worn a few screw heads off already), my flip flops and my tennis shoes for the treadmill which were the "hey these aren't pink and they aren't horribly expensive" which is probably not how your suppose to buy shoes but whatever.

I do think those are cute boots, and I agree, black if your wearing to work or things, unless your going somewhere where "funky" is okay.

And the Piano thing.. WTG. Talk about being all strong and impressing your dad.

NiceSoupyBaiji-max-1mb.gif

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

You almost had me sold but then I visited ValkyrieRising's challenge and remembered one of the main things I'm working on in my challenge, planning my year, is all about limiting my options and making my path forward clear. So I'm gonna apply that sentiment to shoes and not get any more than I actually need. 

Oops! Sorry! Didn't mean to tempt you. :)

• Like 3

Uggggh not running this week is taking a serious toll. I haven't spent enough time outside or moving and I'm going a little stir-crazy. Loading the piano was all well and good and certainly took forever but I think it wasn't strenuous enough. Plus, running usually acts as a buffer against anxiety and depression, and I can feel them starting to surge. It's only been four days! T_T 

In the meantime, I'm stressing about things I don't usually stress about and not keeping up on my #3 challenge goal and feeling very very unproductive. Can somebody help me remember to take a walk this evening? I wouldn't want to run very far in my Lems, but they should be good for distance walking. 

I haven't been recording it but I ate granola and flax for breakfast on Monday and Tuesday because I am a slob. The flax is having the desired effect, at least. Today I had a ripe avocado to eat so I prioritized that. I had half of it straight out of the skin (with salt) and the other half spread over a piece of millet toast. That toast is surprisingly filling. I have no idea what's in it but my dad bought it and he's trying to lower his carb intake so there must be something special about it. Maybe just extra fiber? 

I have also been drinking a lot of tea. Well... for me "a lot" is "more than twice a week" but it is making me a bit nervous about caffeine. I inherited my mother's addictive tendencies and she relies heavily on caffeine to get out of bed in the morning. I never want that to be me. Hopefully as soon as I go back to "get blood pumping early in the morning" that will replace "drink a stimulant mid-way through the morning." I'm much more comfortable with being addicted to running. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

Can somebody help me remember to take a walk this evening?

Take

A

Walk

This

Evening

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Hazard said:

Take

A

Walk

This

Evening

Thanks but could you tell me this evening when the reminder is more immediately relevant? That'd be great! :D 

The reminder is "take a walk now" and the time to remind is "this evening." Until "now" and "this evening" are concurrent, I don't need the reminder. 

• Like 2

It’s evening right now.  Somewhere.   Uzbekistan maybe?  I’m walking right now.  What are you doing?

• Like 3