What's your starter pokemon?   

14 members have voted

1. 1. What's your starter pokemon?

• Bulbasaur
    • Squirtle
    • Charmander
    • Pikachu

1 minute ago, Hazard said:

I’m walking right now.  What are you doing?

Checking up on my Rebels and complaining about my life when I should be working... 

Have you figured out how to walk and work on a laptop at the same time?! Such skillz, Hazard! 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Wobbegong said:

Checking up on my Rebels and complaining about my life when I should be working... 

Have you figured out how to walk and work on a laptop at the same time?! Such skillz, Hazard! 

iPad.  I haven’t unlocked the Walk While Using Laptop skill yet.  I don’t think I’d pass the Dexterity check.

• Like 4
Just now, Hazard said:

iPad.  I haven’t unlocked the Walk While Using Laptop skill yet.  I don’t think I’d pass the Dexterity check.

Ah. I don't have one of those. I could probably pass the Dexterity check but only with a dual-wield handicap. I'd have to use one hand to stabilize the laptop, which would limit me to working with only the other hand. And that would significantly slow productivity. 

Also only half the point of going for a walk is actual walking. The other half of the point is being outside, and I can't take my laptop too far out there or I'll lose wifi. So I'm stuck here. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

If your work involves a lot of research, meaning you need to do a lot of reading, it becomes considerably easier to work on the laptop while walking. Note that all Perception checks while working and walking will be made with Disadvantage.

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

If your work involves a lot of research, meaning you need to do a lot of reading, it becomes considerably easier to work on the laptop while walking. Note that all Perception checks while working and walking will be made with Disadvantage.

One time in college I was going to visit a friend in her dorm and on my way there I noticed another friend of mine who lived in the same dorm clearly headed there but he was reading something on his laptop so I just walked like two inches behind him all the way across campus and followed him into the building and he didn't notice me until we got to our mutual friend's room and she greeted us both. He was really surprised and uncomfortable, which I thought was the correct reaction. I could've been an axe murderer. Ted Bundy went to our school. (Only for two semesters but still.) 

(My friend attempted to get back at me for it later by finding me on campus when I was looking at something in my phone, coming up behind me, and hissing my name in my ear, but I only startle for jump-scares on TV so I just looked up at him blankly and was like "What Henry.")

For the record, the project I'm doing for work right now does mean a lot of research, but it is a lot more clicking on things and taking notes research than reading. Very unfortunate. Low Dexterity AND Disadvantaged Perception. :rolleyes:

• Like 5

After a ridiculous ordeal to get fingerprinted and send off my request to the background check company (did I complain about my ordeal here? I forget. It was a pain.), today I got the link to the online portal results! I opted to get online results as well as hard-copy ones because it was the cheapest option that allowed me to see the results before I turned them in. You know, I didn't think I had a criminal history, but if there were surprises I'd rather know than just hand them over to a potential future employer. 

Here are the first few lines of the email instructions for how to view my results online: 

Your FBI Background check results are ready to be downloaded from the link below, which will direct you to a portal. Please note: It is necessary to use the Internet Explorer (IE) browser to download your results. If you are not already in IE, please copy and paste the link below into IE.

Uh. Wut. 

There's no reason for this to be obvious, but I'm using an Apple computer, which doesn't run IE at all. Even if I wasn't, Win10, the latest Windows OS, defaults to Edge, not IE. I'm sure IE would run on Win10, but I don't know that it comes pre-loaded. And Windows released a virus-like update attempting to force at least everyone on Win7 and before to update their OS to Win10. The point is, there are still people clinging to IE, but their numbers grow few. 

I laughed about this to a friend and she suggested maybe the government is still using IE for some reason. But I can't imagine the US government is primarily running on Win7 or Win8.1 (well... maybe 8, since they seem to enjoy torturing themselves), the last operating systems to default to IE. And the company I got my background check from is not the FBI, but a private corporation with special permission to access the fingerprint database. Why would any profitable company be relying on Internet Explorer?? 

I was able to use my work's virtual machine to access my results, but seriously, what a bizarre way to end an ordeal. 

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, Hazard said:

45 minutes!

Where are we walking?

tumblr_n6bu3cJbUA1raoul2o1_500.gif

HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS THE ONLY ONE TO SELECT BULBASAUR AS MY STARTER 

We're driving down the hill to where the sidewalks begin and then walking into town to buy a baseball cap. From there we will check our pedometer and either return home or head the opposite direction to visit the park before it gets too dark. 

• Like 5
40 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS THE ONLY ONE TO SELECT BULBASAUR AS MY STARTER 

You like Japan.  

You like ocean things, like octopi.  

Octopuseseses have tentacles.

Japan likes tentacles.

Bulbasaur has tentacles. 

Therefore: Wobbegong!

Spoiler

Forum moderators can see who voted for what on polls.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

But I can't imagine the US government is primarily running on Win7 or Win8.1 (well... maybe 8, since they seem to enjoy torturing themselves)

Unfortunately big corporations and government organizations are absolutely still running on Win7 and Win8 for the most part. It is a giant headache to upgrade any large set of users, especially when they're relying on other tools essential to their core business that don't have newer versions. For example, my friend works at a major pharmaceutical company as an analytical chemist here in Boston, and they just upgraded TO windows 7 a couple years ago. It was a major hassle and their IT people don't want to upgrade anytime soon to W10 because a lot of the software for interfacing with their lab instruments is ancient and only runs on very particular setups. It's incredibly stupid but yeah, totally common.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

It's more than stupid, it's dangerous for any company who cares about protecting their intellectual property to run on old software. Even more dangerous for anyone who handles customer data.

My company upgraded to Windows 7 a few years ago, but was very quick to upgrade to Windows 10. The dedicated applications that are too old to run on newer operating systems have been exiled to a VM, where they can keep doing their thing without being a security risk.

• Like 4

Btw I invited my dad along for the walk and we had a blast. We talked about political theory (just touched on some basics really), and then segued neatly into the insular world of violin repair, and from there naturally proceeded to a short history of the evolution of medieval European weapons and armor. Because we're nerds.

The walk was too short but it was getting dark and threatening to rain and my dad has something against walking in those conditions. :rolleyes:  

I did not end up buying a hat. The sports store only had the stretchy kind, no adjustable straps, and I don't like the idea of them because elastic wears out after ten years or so and I expect any hat I spend seven dollars on to last longer than that. I will try the hardware store next. 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

The dedicated applications that are too old to run on newer operating systems have been exiled to a VM

Yeah I wish more places could get on board with this.

I know one guy who works at a place where all timesheets have to be entered in at a particular ancient workstation still running WIN 95 and netscape navigator because of the arcane time tracking system the owner refuses to replace. That's idiotic for its own reasons but at least it's just that one computer.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Severine said:

Yeah I wish more places could get on board with this.

I know one guy who works at a place where all timesheets have to be entered in at a particular ancient workstation still running WIN 95 and netscape navigator because of the arcane time tracking system the owner refuses to replace. That's idiotic for its own reasons but at least it's just that one computer.

On the plus side... no one in their right mind writes malware for Win95 anymore. ;) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, scalyfreak said:

On the plus side... no one in their right mind writes malware for Win95 anymore. ;) 

As long as no one has a personal vendetta against you, it's true, at a certain point really outdated operating systems do provide their own kind of security. But if someone is after you in particular and you're using an OS with known vulnerabilities... whoops. 

4 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

My company hasn't even gotten on board with electronic time sheets. WE at least have an excel for that we have to fill out for each week and then print off, then take to our manager for approval and then turn them in.

My company was using a shared google spreadsheet and every hourly employee had their own tab. It was perhaps the least secure method of recording time I can think of. They finally bought into an HR management system just in time for layoffs, so they then had to switch to a different HR system for smaller companies. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Hazard said:

tumblr_mr2udib1Xh1soq6g9o1_500.gif

Whisper of the Heart!!! He's not repairing a violin, though, he's making a brand new one. Although that also is tied up in "the insular world of violin repair," just the "violin making" part of that world. (It's basically the same world.) 

I haven't watched Whisper of the Heart in a long time. It was my favorite Ghibli movie for a while there, though. <3 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

My company was using a shared google spreadsheet and every hourly employee had their own tab. It was perhaps the least secure method of recording time I can think of. They finally bought into an HR management system just in time for layoffs, so they then had to switch to a different HR system for smaller companies. :rolleyes:

Okay, the shared spreadsheet sounds like it should be violating something...

WTG on planning there folks. And that is double the money spent on implementing this.

• Like 3

I don't remember what I did yesterday but it obviously did not include updating NF so... I guess that's gone. 

Today was really busy. I went to the Women's March in the city and met up with my aunt and several cousins. It was great to see them! The "march" was really more of a rally followed by a parade, but the rally was mostly impossible to hear so we just talked to each other. The parade was, as I suspected, moving incredibly slowly. It took over an hour to walk from Civic Center Plaza to the Powell Street BART station (about four long city blocks; google tells me it was just over one kilometer, so thats... basically nothing). Since I was worried about the weekend ferry schedule, which runs only every two hours, I ducked out at that point and took BART back to the Ferry Building and made my escape. 

I was originally planning to then go to my friend's place and hang out, but an extra hour+ of driving was not sounding great and I was super off-balance (aka hungry) so I went to the grocery store and then home instead. I feel like a flake about it, but also like I probably just should've planned for this and saved myself the trouble. 

I had a really weird food day today. I know weekend breakfast is not one of my challenges, but I didn't eat anything at all until I got to the rally. I didn't eat between eight pm last night and one thirty this afternoon, when I walked by a hotdog stand and realized it had been a while and I should probably eat something. That's a 17.5 hour fast! Wth, Wobbegong. Then after I left the march I figured since I was going to walk right by it and I don't eat much ice cream in general anyway I could treat myself to some Over the Moon, which is a stupid local ice cream shop where they hand-churn all their own ice cream in small batches. It's ridiculously creamy. #caramelcookiedough

I was feeling really weird and off-kilter on the way home, which could've been from any number of things, but I decided eating some fat would help so I stopped by the grocery store for more chicken liver pate (this branch didn't have any raw liver at all! I'm so confused, where are they hiding the chicken livers??) and some manchego, which was mentioned in the book I was reading and which I always love to eat. Sheep cheese. Yum. Also some mushrooms and cream for weekday cooking, but I will probably go to the grocery store again on Monday just in case, since I will be carless Tues/Wednes/Thurs. 

Eating a snack helped a lot with the general feeling of off-ness but definitely didn't make me feel over-full. Like, I'll be super happy to eat dinner anytime. (I was going to write "in an hour" but seriously anytime. Now would be good. Or later is fine too.) This whole day of eating has just been really weird. I give up. 

• Like 4

I'm reading A Beautiful Work in Progress at @Severine's suggestion and really enjoying it, but since I'm on my kindle, I can't help but notice how terrible Amazon's ad algorithm is. I've been reading off and on today, and got recommendations for We Have Lost the Chihuahuas (I think it's a political satire but it might be a murder mystery? idk), The Smoking Lamp ("Be careful what you wish for, or you just might die!" pffff calm down kindle, ain't no "might" about it), and The Thorn Chronicles ("Naomi is rescued from her impending nuptials by the mysterious Kai who sends her off to Vegas with a sweet kiss" wut). 

So I went to Amazon Help, not intending to complain but just to let them know, hey, y'all have my entire reading history (except what I get at the library), you should know what I like, what is this nonsense. Do Kindle readers represent such a small portion of ebook purchases that they're not worried about the income? Because here's the thing. I'm pretty hesitant to buy most things, but the exception is ebooks. I have an ebook problem. (And by that I mean I buy like eight a year, it's not that big a problem.) But I would be totally willing to buy ebooks on Amazon's recommendation if they recommended things I might actually enjoy. Especially because buying through Kindle is so convenient. 

Well, before I could finish expressing my mystification, the Amazon Help person turned off "Special Deals" on my kindle entirely, so I guess it's not my problem anymore. (Apparently this is a thing you can buy for $20 but I have never seen it listed anywhere and clearly they will give it to you for free if you complain, so if anyone else is annoyed with their kindle ads, heads up.) It's not like I'm attached to the ads -- not having them is fantastic so far -- but it was very much not what I was angling for. 

How's your day been? 

• Like 2