• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LoganW

Logan's Tumultuous Transmigration

Hello, Rebels! I'm here to get a proper start on the year and to get myself back to health. I've just been through a 3 week bout of sickness that became bronchitis, and I'm not completely recovered and I'm sick of being sick.  Also, I've been 7 months at a stressful new job that is 1000% strictly sedentary. I have the lung capacity and land speed of a snail, and I've been ignoring it all.

giphy.gif

I also need to get my cholesterol down for Reasons, which I have managed to do in the past successfully with moderate cardio exercise and eating well, which in my case means a diet high in all sorts of natural fiber (fruits and veg), with moderation in all things, even moderation. I love weight lifting and hope to slowly integrate it and cardio into my life, but I've got to start really slow and small here: both for practical, habit-forming reasons and because I have a giant challenge coming up in my life: while working my full time, sedentary, moderately stressful job, I'm going to start a night class MS in computer science. I'm sure everything will be fine/what could possible go wrong.

giphy.gif

...So!

My Main Quest is to improve my health - be able to walk 5 miles or more without much effort, and to be able to do a pushup. The former I was able to do only 8 months ago, the latter never in my life. I have much longer-term goals, but based on where I am right now, this'll take at least 6 months - and the pushups will probably take a year. 

Starter Mini Quests:

1.  Walk 1 more minute every day on the elliptical at, to begin with, a very slow speed. Because of the bronchitis and lung capacity problem, I'm cranking out a massive 20 rpm at workout level 1 for 10 minutes. I did 11 minutes Jan 1st at 30 rpm and it was a terrible idea - I've had breathing problems all day. So I'm basically crawling, but I gotta crawl. This is scheduled for the morning, so instead of getting up at 5:55am for work I'm getting up at 5:30am. I'm a morning person, but... ugh. Still, it's my only real option because of the night classes.
  2. Stretch for 10 minutes and do a very, very gentle body weight exercise or two: we're talking wall pushups and a brief plank to start. I can't do the full NF bodyweight workout right now because of the lung problems, but I have to start somewhere. I want to get back to rock climbing eventually. This is also scheduled for the morning, although I can imagine getting it in in the evening between homework assignments or while watching a show.
  3. Eat 4-6 servings of fruit and vegetables every day. The really effective diet intervention for me has been full food tracking, but with the master's classes starting I'm not sure I can devote brain space and time to that. I'm going to try this shortcut (in part because dietary fiber has been really helpful for my cholesterol in the past, and in part because it'll fill me up). That said, this goal will be crap if I pile on junk around the 4-6 servings. I'm not sure how this will go, and it also doesn't capture my whole rolled oats/beans/lean protein interests.

giphy.gif

is basically where I'm at on #3, which I realize is not a great way to be for sustained success. My reason for hopefulness is that my partner @Severine will be taking over a fair bit of the cooking since I'm starting my night classes, and it's going to be pretty good food.

A bit about me: I work in grants at a university, sit all day, and wish that we lived in a world where university research wasn't funded in this model (as I think almost everyone who works on grants does). I love board games and D&D, and I'm currently running a Storm King's Thunder campaign. I want to get back to rock climbing, biking, weight lifting, and general hiking tomfoolery, if my body will ever let me. My family health history means that if I don't get myself sorted out very, very soon I'm in for a (short) lifetime of great trouble. I'm very excited to be starting an MS in CS, but I anticipate that it's going to make living a healthy life even harder, and this is something I don't want to compromise on any more. I watch Great British Bake-Off and Star Trek (TNG, DS9, Voy) and American football to brainlessly relax.

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, LoganW said:

my partner @Severine will be taking over a fair bit of the cooking since I'm starting my night classes, and it's going to be pretty good food.

I am confused and flattered by this vote of confidence  :D

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Welcome to NF! :)

1 hour ago, LoganW said:

This is scheduled for the morning, so instead of getting up at 5:55am for work I'm getting up at 5:30am. I'm a morning person, but... ugh. Still, it's my only real option because of the night classes.

You'll either get used to it, or curse yourself every morning for it. Just make sure you get enough sleep overall, it's already hard enough to focus in a night class after working all day.

• Like 4

You don't need the night classes. You already gif good and that's really the most important thing to know about computers anyway, amirite?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Welcome.

As a fellow Non-Traditional student, I completely understand trying to schedule more on yourself on top of work and classes. Granted I am only working on my BS in computer science, but I completely get it. Its not an easy life going back to school, but its suppose to be worth it in the end.

• Like 3

Just now, Bean Sidhe said:

Welcome.

As a fellow Non-Traditional student, I completely understand trying to schedule more on yourself on top of work and classes. Granted I am only working on my BS in computer science, but I completely get it. Its not an easy life going back to school, but its suppose to be worth it in the end.

Oooh, you're computer science buddies. That's the master's degree Logan is doing. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Severine said:

Oooh, you're computer science buddies. That's the master's degree Logan is doing. 

I don't know if I will be able to help him at all. I mean I am just getting my bachelors. But I can definitely support and commiserate the homework aspects. 

• Like 3

hey and welcome! 

my husband is also a non-traditional student, and that plus day job plus commute makes it super tricky to balance in important things like exercise. we are also up at 5ish etc., which is rough in the winter especially because it is so dark!

• Like 4

Hello! Night school sounds uber stressful, but also....so cool??? Like, here you are working and living your normal life, but also throwing in a whole advanced degree on top of all that?? #badass

I feel you on the cholesterol struggles too. >.< You can do it!

• Like 5

Former non-traditional here, got my masters (online, all 7 years) in Accounting while working full time...making a schedule and sticking to it are key...is there any way to incorporate study time into down time at work? I realize not everyone has that but it's surprising how much you can get done in a little time...

• Like 3

Hi folks! The votes of support have been really amazing. I confess that I'm not getting better as quickly as I'd hoped, and this may end up being modified into a 4 week physical exertion challenge and a 5 week sleep 9+ hours a night and eat my fruits and veggies challenge.

The weather here has been super cold, and we're due for an 8-12 inch snowfall tomorrow, followed by temperatures below zero F (-17C, I think?). My commute takes about an hour, all together, and it's on public transit, so I'm effectively counting that as my 10 minutes of light exertion. I can just barely do it, so it'll have to do!

To the helpful comments and suggestions!

19 hours ago, RES said:

Former non-traditional here, got my masters (online, all 7 years) in Accounting while working full time...making a schedule and sticking to it are key...is there any way to incorporate study time into down time at work? I realize not everyone has that but it's surprising how much you can get done in a little time...

That would be awesome, but I will be in deep shit if I did that at my current job. I'll try to get some work done during the commute It's multi-modal, (car drop off to train to subway to walking), and I'm never seated anywhere for more than 20 minutes, but it's what I've got. But right now at work I don't even take a proper lunch break, I just eat at my desk - the work load/expectations are part of the stress of the job. Hopefully things will get better.

Speaking of which, crap. Next meeting! but hopefully I'll get to the rest of the replies soon. :) sorry!

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, LoganW said:

The weather here has been super cold, and we're due for an 8-12 inch snowfall tomorrow, followed by temperatures below zero F (-17C, I think?).

Sadly the overnight low predicted for the weekend is -23 C. Which google tells me is -9 F. Because the earth hates Boston.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LoganW said:

To the helpful comments and suggestions!

That would be awesome, but I will be in deep shit if I did that at my current job. I'll try to get some work done during the commute It's multi-modal, (car drop off to train to subway to walking), and I'm never seated anywhere for more than 20 minutes, but it's what I've got. But right now at work I don't even take a proper lunch break, I just eat at my desk - the work load/expectations are part of the stress of the job. Hopefully things will get better.

This I get. If I get a free couple minutes, my boss is cool with my doing homework. But most of my homework is done in the "Oh look, I have 10 minutes and go". I will say, in 20 minutes you can read part of an essay or take notes on something. I do it when I go to pick Eldest up at school. I will sit in my car and take notes out of the reading or read something from the assigned readings. Most Computer science is computer based and code, but part of this is going to be finding those free moments that can be turned productive.  I know it seems scary, but within the first 3 or 4 weeks you will realize you slipped into a routine on how to get the work done. Good luck

• Like 3

12 hours ago, LoganW said:

I confess that I'm not getting better as quickly as I'd hoped

Change takes time, you didn't get in this overnight and getting where you want to be isn't going to happen overnight either. Do what you can, be realistic, and keep moving forward!

• Like 5

Welcome Logan!! Those lung viruses can hang around forever, so I'm glad you're taking it slow and doing what you need to to recover.

I really like your goals - and way to go on picking up your Master's degree!! I'm a full-time Master's student myself, but I've been in and out of the workforce and school for the past ten years, so I do remember what it's like to juggle life + work + school. Best of luck to you - I know you're going to rock it!

tenor.gif 

Looking forward to following along! Welcome to the Rebellion!!

• Like 4

On 1/1/2018 at 8:45 PM, zeroh13 said:

Just make sure you get enough sleep overall, it's already hard enough to focus in a night class after working all day.

I am pleased to say that due to constitutional tendencies as well as my thyroid having completely crapped out on me, I have almost no problem getting sleep. Well, one problem - if I don't get 9 hours of sleep (literally, actually) every single night, I'll eventually start to get really tired and will fall asleep in inconvenient places. But I'll get that sleep one way or another!

giphy.gif

On 1/2/2018 at 9:56 AM, karinajean said:

my husband is also a non-traditional student, and that plus day job plus commute makes it super tricky to balance in important things like exercise. we are also up at 5ish etc., which is rough in the winter especially because it is so dark!

Oh jeez, the commute and the darkness, I so hear that. I've got a 1 hour commute if everything goes well, and it's dark when I go in and it's dark when I go home even before classes, and ...yeah. But we got this!

22 hours ago, RES said:

Change takes time, you didn't get in this overnight and getting where you want to be isn't going to happen overnight either. Do what you can, be realistic, and keep moving forward!

Well, if you want to go and be logical about it! :) I'm definitely not used to a sickness this long or a recovery this slow, and it's 1) made me feel like I must be/have been in pretty bad shape to be this sick, all the more reason for this and more challenges, and 2) man, people who are this sick all the time have it really, really hard. I didn't know how good I had it!

19 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Those lung viruses can hang around forever, so I'm glad you're taking it slow and doing what you need to to recover.

I really like your goals - and way to go on picking up your Master's degree!! I'm a full-time Master's student myself, but I've been in and out of the workforce and school for the past ten years, so I do remember what it's like to juggle life + work + school.

Yeah, I think and I forgot how hard the commute is, physically speaking, because I never had to think about it before really. I'm taking it slow because I have to! I just really kinda hate it. :)  And I admit I'm super excited about the degree; I didn't ever think I'd get the chance to do CS in a formal setting because of choices I made decades ago, so I'm pretty stoked.

• Like 7

Well, the eating is going well, at least. @Severine cooked this week, and when the snow started falling, she shoveled and I cooked for her and D. I felt like a weakling, but I played support staff for my valiant snow warriors at least. I have done stretching 2 days out of 3, basically because as ridiculous as this sounds I've pulled some chest muscles ...coughing. So I've done some napping in place of stretching here and there. (god, this is pathetic. but it's where I'm at!)

They were basically like this:

giphy.gif

We've had some snow days today and tomorrow, so I've been able to get some school preparatory reading done, and (hurrah!) finally found a set theory / number theory book that actually _makes sense_ to me. I've been banging my head against introductory set theory for a month, and finally I've found a book that works for me. It's a big step.

Other than that, I'm thinking I may go on overdrive recovery mode and sleep and just try to eat my freggies until next week - making this basically a 5 week eating challenge and a 4 week physical challenge. I may also count my commute as my 10 minute walk for now - there's at least 10 minutes of walking through it, and some rather unfortunate stairs in the middle, too. It really is frustrating, but at this stage in my recovery I don't know how I can do anything else. I hope I get better soon.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, LoganW said:

I've pulled some chest muscles ...coughing.

Been there, done that. I know taking it slow is obnoxious af , but you'll get there. Focusing on recovery is totally reasonable. (And living where we do, I'm sure there will be enough snow for you to shovel when you're up to it.)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, LoganW said:

Yeah, I think and I forgot how hard the commute is, physically speaking, because I never had to think about it before really. I'm taking it slow because I have to! I just really kinda hate it. :)  And I admit I'm super excited about the degree; I didn't ever think I'd get the chance to do CS in a formal setting because of choices I made decades ago, so I'm pretty stoked.

You should be stoked!! Do you have some goals that the degree will help you attain, or is it for yourself and your development? (Both are awesome, BTW!)

2 hours ago, LoganW said:

I have done stretching 2 days out of 3, basically because as ridiculous as this sounds I've pulled some chest muscles ...coughing.

No no, don't feel ridiculous - this is a thing!! I've done it too and it's the worst! I hope you get well soon - it's so frustrating to wait to heal!

• Like 5

10 hours ago, LoganW said:

Other than that, I'm thinking I may go on overdrive recovery mode and sleep and just try to eat my freggies until next week - making this basically a 5 week eating challenge and a 4 week physical challenge. I may also count my commute as my 10 minute walk for now - there's at least 10 minutes of walking through it, and some rather unfortunate stairs in the middle, too. It really is frustrating, but at this stage in my recovery I don't know how I can do anything else. I hope I get better soon.

On 1/3/2018 at 10:06 PM, RES said:

Do what you can

:)

Good job!

• Like 4

I am a snow warrior!!!!!

giphy.gif

... a slight inadvisable snow warrior, but nevertheless. I got out there while @Severine was doing the bulk of the work, and I cleaned off our front steps. There was a 6 foot snow drift over the top of them and it took me quite a while, but I went slow and steady and I got it done! Rawr!! I'll take that as checking off my exercise for today (and possibly tomorrow too, what the heck). Work's closed, so there's no commute walk today, but that was more than enough. I just hope it doesn't set me back too badly.

13 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

You should be stoked!! Do you have some goals that the degree will help you attain, or is it for yourself and your development? (Both are awesome, BTW!)

I'm super excited about it for personal interest reasons, but mainly it'll help me do my current job better, and it's a great chance for me to get a STEM degree (and having one of those also makes a big difference in my current job).

• Like 7

1 hour ago, LoganW said:

I am a snow warrior!!!!!

giphy.gif

... a slight inadvisable snow warrior, but nevertheless. I got out there while @Severine was doing the bulk of the work, and I cleaned off our front steps. There was a 6 foot snow drift over the top of them and it took me quite a while, but I went slow and steady and I got it done! Rawr!! I'll take that as checking off my exercise for today (and possibly tomorrow too, what the heck). Work's closed, so there's no commute walk today, but that was more than enough. I just hope it doesn't set me back too badly.

I think it totally counts as exercise for they day. Snow shoveling is hard and can wear you down fast. Great job tackling the snow drift. 6 feet of snow weighs an awful lot

• Like 5

12 hours ago, LoganW said:

I'm super excited about it for personal interest reasons, but mainly it'll help me do my current job better, and it's a great chance for me to get a STEM degree (and having one of those also makes a big difference in my current job).

All excellent reasons!!  :) 

And WHOA on the snowdrifts!! DUDE!! That definitely counts as your exercise for the day!

O9KNk.gif 

• Like 4

On 1/1/2018 at 7:38 PM, LoganW said:

I love board games and D&D, and I'm currently running a Storm King's Thunder campaign. I want to get back to rock climbing, biking, weight lifting, and general hiking tomfoolery, if my body will ever let me. My family health history means that if I don't get myself sorted out very, very soon I'm in for a (short) lifetime of great trouble. I'm very excited to be starting an MS in CS, but I anticipate that it's going to make living a healthy life even harder, and this is something I don't want to compromise on any more. I watch Great British Bake-Off and Star Trek (TNG, DS9, Voy) and American football to brainlessly relax.

Hey there, fellow board gamer and space opera afficionado! You sound like a really cool person, with a good handle on your "big why" and a realistic view of the challenges you're facing. That's about as good a starting hand as you're going to get, I figure!

I totally get the need to go slow when coming back from lung problems. I got double pneumonia a couple of years ago, and could barely manage to walk up a flight of stairs for months! It can be tough to figure out exactly how much to push yourself during the recovery period, but your approach seems pretty sensible.

FWIW, one thing that is helping me to get in my nutrients (protein is my issue...), is to have a few default snacks/meals ready to roll so I'm not wandering around the kitchen going "it's too much work to make anything...but I'm hungry...aw, to hell with it! I'll just have these chips!" Admittedly, they're not always the most exciting things to eat -- currently, my go-tos are cottage cheese, hard-boiled eggs, or an apple and few almonds -- but it seems to help having an easy/healthy option to turn to when my willpower is low.

Now, on to the really important stuff -- what kind of boardgames do you like? Himself and I are currently playing Gloomhaven, but we're also dabbling with Time Stories (with some friends) and Mechs vs, Minions. We've also picked up a few of the various Escape Room games, but haven't tried them yet.

Best wishes for a successful challenge! I'll be rooting for you!!

• Like 4