• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

LoganW

Logan's Tumultuous Transmigration

Recommended Posts


 

5 hours ago, KayLou said:
 

 
Now, on to the really important stuff -- what kind of boardgames do you like? Himself and I are currently playing Gloomhaven, but we're also dabbling with Time Stories (with some friends) and Mechs vs, Minions. We've also picked up a few of the various Escape Room games, but haven't tried them yet.
 
Best wishes for a successful challenge! I'll be rooting for you!!

 


...oh my goodness Gloomhaven. I just got it like 3 weeks ago, and my ambition is to set it up in the basement 24/7 so that I don't have to do tear down and reset every time, and play it over like a year with my long time friend and sometime gaming buddy J. Gloomhaven looks. So. Friggin. Beautiful, and I'm stoked. I'm putting time right now into D&D and not Gloomhaven because it's super cold in the unheated basement right now, and getting social game time with 4 people seems like a better deal, given my time crunch.

But anyways, Gloomhaven:

 

giphy.gif


Also hi! I totally get what you're saying about snacks, and right now I'm working on getting a mini fridge in my office at work so that I can easily store things on hand for my 14 hour days. (It's Soo cool that I have an office I can do that with. It's my first one! Stressful Job has some real benefits.)
 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

high fives for the snow shoveling!

 

On 1/4/2018 at 8:29 PM, LoganW said:

because as ridiculous as this sounds I've pulled some chest muscles ...coughing.

 

 

yo I have put ribs out of alignment by SNEEZING. granted, I am an elaborate and loud sneezer. but it's just ridic. I basically have to have a totally straight spine when I sneeze or my neck will get messed up.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, karinajean said:

yo I have put ribs out of alignment by SNEEZING. granted, I am an elaborate and loud sneezer. but it's just ridic. I basically have to have a totally straight spine when I sneeze or my neck will get messed up.

 

I am learning some fascinating new info about human biological possibilities from this thread  :D

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm getting better!! I went to the doc like@severine said, and I got some of that steroidal inhaler goodness and either because of that, placebo effect, the 10 minute nebulizer treatment I got at the docs, or just plain recovery, I woke up feeling much much better.

First day of classes went pretty well, and it's on to day two (class two) today. Here's hoping!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Way to go, LoganW!  So glad to hear you're on the mend. It seems like everyone around me is sick with one thing or another, but I expect that's just January being January.

 

I totally get you about setting up Gloomhaven 24/7. It's a great game - and, yes, absolutely gorgeous! -- but it's kind of a pain to set up and take down every time you want to play. Have fun with the D&D campaign. It does sound a lot more sensible right now!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welp, I found out in orientation (delayed because of weather to the first week of class) that they don't recommend taking 2 classes at the same time as working full-time, because 2 classes is a full load even for PhD students (who, obviously, are still being RAs or TAs or whatever). They estimate it'll take 15 hours out of class every week per course. I'm taking 2 classes at the moment, working a 40 hour week, commuting 1 hour each way to work, and sleeping 8 hours a night, and I have 9 hours in class every week. Let's say I spent 1 hour a day washing up etc, 1 hour a day eating, 1 hour a day doing various health things including trying to work out and do a chore or two.

 

168 hours per week, 56 hours of sleep a week = 112 - 40 hours of work and 9 hours of class = 63, minus 10 hours of commuting = 53, minus 3 hours/day doing personal things =32 hours.  So... if I did literally nothing but eat, sleep, clean up, travel, work, go to school, and study, it would be possible with 2 hours left over?

 

I'm looking for efficiencies, and spending 20-25 minutes on the commute studying is possible (walking, being driven, and changing modes takes up the rest of the time - car-->train-->subway-->walk means the reading time is low). Also, maybe it won't take me that long. Maybe the 3 hours a day of personal things is high. 20 minutes a meal is just about right for me, more than that sometimes for prep.

 

So, we'll see. If they're right about it taking 15 hours a week per class, I don't know if it's possible. If they're wrong on the high end, maybe I can swing it.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like every single class that's ever said "expect to spend X time on your own" has been super wrong. You probably have actual exercises and such for homework that will take up time but 15 hours still seems really excessive to me?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2018 at 2:35 PM, fleaball said:

I feel like every single class that's ever said "expect to spend X time on your own" has been super wrong. You probably have actual exercises and such for homework that will take up time but 15 hours still seems really excessive to me?

 

I tentatively agree, but it depends on the course. What classes are you taking, @LoganW

 

That does sound like a super tightly packed schedule ...  :( 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

 

I tentatively agree, but it depends on the course. What classes are you taking, @LoganW

 

That does sound like a super tightly packed schedule ...  :( 

I'm taking an intensive intro to computer programming, and a discrete math class. They're part of this 2-semester intensive intro to CS that's part of this master's degree; it's designed for people withOUT [edited] previous CS background or experience.

 

An update! so far the second week of work (I'm trying to get ahead over the long holiday weekend) has been much faster. The steroid inhaler also seems to be helping out, and my lung capacity is getting better and better. I went for a 10 minute walk on the elliptical today!

 

I'd still be in a better situation if I were tracking my food, but it's definitely incrementally improving. @Severine has been amazing cooking the Sunbasket food, and my batch cooking over the weekend for lunches seems to be working - this week it's a no-crust vegetable quiche and a whole wheat pasta dish with spinach, mushrooms, and leeks. Severine's going to make some grilled chicken to go in it tomorrow :applause:

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, LoganW said:

it's designed for people with previous CS background or experience

 

They mean without previous CS background or experience  :D

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, so here is the thing. I generally think of it as 3-4 hours outside of class for every credit hour. Not going to lie, it sucks.  It is probably doable, and I think you can do it, but you may end up in the land of people like me where there isn't much besides School/work/Family going on.

If that is the same discrete math I took over a summer, it isn't fun. In fact, I was super glad that class was my only one that semester. If you talk about Big Oh, Big Theta, Trees and things, yep. Now the Big Oh and Big Theta were what killed me, Once it got past that, I found it easier.

 

The intro to programming could be easy, or not. To be honest, I have finished this class too, but I am doing the BS for the computer science thing (which would be the CS background your filling in). Just remember. DO NOT PROGRAM WHEN TIRED, if you get stuck and your tired. WALK AWAY.  This sounds dumb, but more than once, I have not listened to my own advice here, I started getting tired, got stuck on something. I flailed at it (which is "Just start adding or changing things without really looking at it) until I get so done or Hubby makes me walk away. Then I sleep and check it the next day and go "WTF was I thinking" because it may be in worse shape than before I flailed and I may of wasted hours on it.

 

So a few things I do. I do take my homework EVERYWHERE. I always have it in case a get a few minutes of time that I Can look at it. From work, if I have like 5 minutes, I may jump on and check for more homework or the discussion boards. And sometimes, it comes down to a choice. My time for today is coming to a close, make yourself a "I am running out of time, if I want to work on my challenge, what is the bare minimum I can do to still feel good about today." list. Not going to lie. I have had days where I just do the challenge stuff and nothing else and I call it a win.

 

I don't want to scare you, I really don't I think you can very well do this. However, its going to mean learning to multi-task sometimes or handling things differently. I will also say, if something happens and things aren't going well, remember you can always take less next semester. It may mean pushing out your graduation date, but it also means making sure your being reasonable with your expectations of time.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

The intro to programming could be easy, or not. To be honest, I have finished this class too, but I am doing the BS for the computer science thing (which would be the CS background your filling in). Just remember. DO NOT PROGRAM WHEN TIRED, if you get stuck and your tired. WALK AWAY.  This sounds dumb, but more than once, I have not listened to my own advice here, I started getting tired, got stuck on something. I flailed at it (which is "Just start adding or changing things without really looking at it) until I get so done or Hubby makes me walk away. Then I sleep and check it the next day and go "WTF was I thinking" because it may be in worse shape than before I flailed and I may of wasted hours on it.

 

The "not programming while tired" is great advice, and I'm working on it. The schedule is so tight, though, that it's hard to be able to actually take a break - at most I can swap classes when I'm super tired.

 

The "intensive" part of the intro to programming class is, it turns out, that undergrad CS majors at this uni take this class over 2 semesters, and this class is just 1, but covers the same material. Oy.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, LoganW said:

 

The "not programming while tired" is great advice, and I'm working on it. The schedule is so tight, though, that it's hard to be able to actually take a break - at most I can swap classes when I'm super tired.

 

This I totally get. And I will say, even swapping classes is a good idea. Honestly, the last thing you want is to do what I did during my final project last semester. It was all Java Code and this HUGE Graphical interface thing that had to simulate an ant colony. I got to a point where I would work on it and then get tired and work 2 more hours and then it would take 5 hours to fix it. I won't tell you to get enough sleep. I know better.

 

 

29 minutes ago, LoganW said:

The "intensive" part of the intro to programming class is, it turns out, that undergrad CS majors at this uni take this class over 2 semesters, and this class is just 1, but covers the same material. Oy.

 

Okay, then its similar to the one I took over 2 semesters. Good luck. Its a large amount of material but it would be doable. There were times I wish I could of moved faster in both classes. Good luck, and I am sure you will be fine.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I'm doing awfully well, I have to say. I've cleaned my eating up fairly well, and I'm definitely on the road to recovery - on days I'm in the office, my FitBit thinks I take about 7k steps all told just doing my job and commuting, so hopefully I can get through a full week of that this week.

 

I'm going to drop down to 1 class for this semester; I just couldn't get it to work out with 2 at a time.

 

All in all, things are looking fairly up so far. I mean, honestly, any set of actions I take without having bronchitis seems like a party - but I feel like I'm not falling down on my other goals either. Here's to progress!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2018 at 11:55 AM, LoganW said:

Well, I'm doing awfully well, I have to say. I've cleaned my eating up fairly well, and I'm definitely on the road to recovery - on days I'm in the office, my FitBit thinks I take about 7k steps all told just doing my job and commuting, so hopefully I can get through a full week of that this week.

 

I'm going to drop down to 1 class for this semester; I just couldn't get it to work out with 2 at a time.

 

All in all, things are looking fairly up so far. I mean, honestly, any set of actions I take without having bronchitis seems like a party - but I feel like I'm not falling down on my other goals either. Here's to progress!

 

This is all great news. And dropping down to one class is a good thing. It means your being realistic with what you can do and not trying to overdo it. Which class did you drop?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2018 at 12:50 PM, Bean Sidhe said:

 

This is all great news. And dropping down to one class is a good thing. It means your being realistic with what you can do and not trying to overdo it. Which class did you drop?

This was my thought as well...hope things are good with you! check in when you can

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now