• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Asa Pond

Asa Pond - Boot Camp

4 hours ago, Asa Pond said:

Bialystok which is pretty close to the border of Belarus. I'll be studying at one of their law schools for a month! And then exploring Warsaw and Krakow on the weekends. :) 

That's fantastic! GO YOU!

Let me know a bit closer to the time when you're planning on exploring. My gran would really like me to come over and I've vaguely considered going sometime this year. She lives at the opposite side of Poland though, but it's not too far from Krakow for example. (Though timing wise it depends on when a) I can get a tattoo appointment with an artist that I adore that works in Wroclaw the next door city and b ) if I can ever figure out what I actually want tattooed :D)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

That's fantastic! GO YOU!

Let me know a bit closer to the time when you're planning on exploring. My gran would really like me to come over and I've vaguely considered going sometime this year. 

Definitely will do! 100 percent. :D 

Guys, I'm actually still in this challenge 11 days later despite the rocky start. Definitely calling this a week 1ish win. 

So far the week has been going really well. I've made dinner 4/5 days (already have stew in the slow cooker for today!), went to the gym 3/4 (4/4 times if I count Saturday, but I'm not), cleaned or cooked nearly everyday except for one where the schedule just didn't allow it, and have sort of kept up with classes (which is due to getting books the day before the semester started, not out of not trying). 

I went swimming yesterday! Super stoked to be back in the pool and just working out in general. I'm already feeling my anxiety and downer mood lift and have more energy from just one week. I'm also getting back a lot more muscle memory so, even though I am definitely out of shape, it isn't as bad as I thought. 

It is fun introducing my mom to the gym. She hasn't been to one in maybe about 20 years or so? She used to be really fit when I was riding horses and then she started running, but life happened and she's fallen really out of shape. Point being - she isn't the most comfortable with navigating the gym so I've been able to help her out with it. It's a fun thing for me too because I remember being *terrified* of gyms and now I can't wait to go. I love being able to share that with someone and hope she'll be able to feel as comfortable one day.

The goal that needs to be worked on the most is definitely the "getting ahead of studying" one. I keep doing my readings last minute, which is part that I got my books on Sunday and the semester started Monday, but also I just need to work on scheduling study time instead of doing it when I feel like it.

• Like 5

Yesss, having someone who knows how to navigate the place is surely a nice comfort. And swimming! <3 

You'll figure out a  good groove for your readings, I'm sure. It's just begun!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Asa Pond said:

I'm already feeling my anxiety and downer mood lift and have more energy from just one week.

This is FANTASTIC! I'm so glad you are feeling better. :) 

44 minutes ago, Asa Pond said:

It is fun introducing my mom to the gym. She hasn't been to one in maybe about 20 years or so? She used to be really fit when I was riding horses and then she started running, but life happened and she's fallen really out of shape. Point being - she isn't the most comfortable with navigating the gym so I've been able to help her out with it. It's a fun thing for me too because I remember being *terrified* of gyms and now I can't wait to go. I love being able to share that with someone and hope she'll be able to feel as comfortable one day.

So cool! Just think, your positive and excited attitude about the gym probably rubs off on your mom as well. 

17 minutes ago, raptron said:

You'll figure out a  good groove for your readings, I'm sure. It's just begun!

Totally agree! 

• Like 1

GREAT JOB BUDDY

Yeah, I'm off the study for class train, but that's the kind of ongoing and "only responsible to self" work that I just can't ever accomplish unless I track it somehow, put it on my calendar with checkboxes or something.

It sounds like having your mom as a gym buddy is going to be great for both of you.

• Like 2

It sounds like having your mom as a gym buddy is going to be great for both of you.

This! I'm so excited to hear all about how your mom is gonna be impressed with you and learn to love the gym and impress herself!
  • Like 1

Didn't make it to the gym yet this weekend which is a bummer because I had so much free time. I actually ended up sleeping, like, 60% of it? I was just really tired so I must have needed it. I did make some delicious dinners and breakfasts, hung out with ze law school friends, and got quite a bit of work done for one of my classes so overall, I'm not upset. 

I'm actually going to head to the gym twice tomorrow - once for a HIIT bodyweight workout and then once for Zumba with my mom because she's nervous going alone. 

Dangerous-to-Go-alone-sensor.gif

Also, I impulse bought a yoga wheel because my shoulders are crazy tight and I really want to open them up. There isn't really a good pose I've found that hits the right spots, so I'm hoping this will work. One of my goals this year is to get a heck of a lot more flexible everywhere and this is going to be a good start (I'm looking at you upward bow pose).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Student life eh ;) 

Jk

Have fun at zumba! 

You're not wrong. I went to brunch with a couple of my classmates and apparently there have already been mental breakdowns due to hearing/waiting on grades and the start of classes. Law students (in the US at least) are *super* healthy mental health wise. If all I had to do was get some extra sleep - I'll take it. :)

Thanks!!

• Like 2

Went to the gym this morning because I have a meeting with one of my professors later today. (I don't know what it's about and I'm mildly panicking.) It was rough because I'm definitely not nearly as in shape as I was a few months ago and I felt like people were judging me for being a new years resolutioner or something. NOT that it matters. I need to ignore them if they are despite the fact that the truth is no one probably cares at all.

I have to go grocery shopping today and I really don't want to. :( But I'm all meal planned for the week and excited about those so I have to power through.

Oh - and no class today because of MLK day, so I have to make it productive.

Lesgo.

• Like 1

Your meeting is probably nothing serious. Maybe think of things you want to talk to your professor about, do you have any questions to ask? 

And damn those people who judge New Years Resolutioners! Walk by those judgy mcjudgers and be like "Damn right I'm here, using up the machines you think you own", what of it! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Your meeting is probably nothing serious. Maybe think of things you want to talk to your professor about, do you have any questions to ask? 

It was fine - more good than bad. I got a grade that wasn't what I wanted, but she wanted to tell me that she didn't expect it either because it didn't reflect my ability or talent and that I am an excellent writer and that she would be willing to write me a recommendation letter to anywhere I want. (Not that that <- sentence shows any writing talent at all. :lol:) There was a research module and professor in the middle of the class that I just didn't focus on nearly as much as I should have and I didn't realize how important it was to the final. So,  not great but not awful. I'll take it.

2 hours ago, Jonesy said:

And damn those people who judge New Years Resolutioners! Walk by those judgy mcjudgers and be like "Damn right I'm here, using up the machines you think you own", what of it! 

I'm sure they weren't actually judging. It was just my anxiety telling me they were. I kept doing my thing and pretended to shrug it off. Fake it till you make it type thing.

• Like 2

Just got my yoga wheel and if I keep using it every day it is going to be worth every single penny. I just spent 30 minutes with it and I already feel 10x better. :D  

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Asa Pond said:

and that I am an excellent writer and that she would be willing to write me a recommendation letter to anywhere I want.

This is great. :)

21 hours ago, Asa Pond said:

I'm sure they weren't actually judging. It was just my anxiety telling me they were. I kept doing my thing and pretended to shrug it off. Fake it till you make it type thing.

I was talking with friends or Ms Rogue over the weekend, and said that the one real perk of middle age is that every year I give less of a shit about what anyone else thinks about me. (And as a corollary, I've come to have strong faith that no one gives a shit about what anyone else is doing in the gym AT ALL.)

• Like 1

Yesterday I was supposed to go to the gym but I was SO TIRED. I literally went to bed at 8:30pm.

Reevaluating my eating and super increase in activity made me realize that I need to eat more. I've been eating really well and now I just need to increase the good stuff I'm eating.

It's crazy how much my attitude towards food and work improve just from simply having the option to work out again. I've really learned I'm an all or nothing person, which is probably something I should work on. Over the last 4 months, I've literally gone days not eating a vegetable. Now that I have the gym in my life again, I've eaten a vegetable in almost every meal I've had this month without even thinking about it. I need to work on developing that instinct even when I can't work out because I won't always be able to work out but I'll still need to stay healthy.

Today is probably swimming and I don't know what I'm going to do for dinner... really need to find a time to go shopping.

• Like 3

On 16/1/2018 at 11:32 AM, RogueLibrarian said:

I was talking with friends or Ms Rogue over the weekend, and said that the one real perk of middle age is that every year I give less of a shit about what anyone else thinks about me. (And as a corollary, I've come to have strong faith that no one gives a shit about what anyone else is doing in the gym AT ALL.)

+1 this. I tell my kids that growing up can be scary, and yes, there's a lot more responsibility, but with that comes the freedom of being able to "just do you" and not worry about how you look. And also, being a lot more tolerant of other people's foibles, because you know, we all have those, amirite?

• Like 2

On 1/16/2018 at 6:32 PM, RogueLibrarian said:

Completely agree, and it's amazing. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2018 at 11:32 AM, RogueLibrarian said:

I'm noticing this more and more. I skew towards the lower end of the older law school student crowd (does that make sense at all?), and have noticed that the people younger than me care so much more about how they appear to the people around them in terms of basically everything. Then there's me who is fully comfortable looking like a gunner and staying at home on weekend nights going to bed at 9pm and watching Criminal Minds.

It's a good feeling to realize I can do what I want and it really doesn't matter what other people think.

• Like 3

Didn't make it to the gym on Wednesday because I was exhausted again. Need more sleep and iron pills maybe? But I did get a solid swim workout last night that went well. I do need to start printing off swim workouts so I can track growth instead of making stuff up on the fly.

I don't have class today so I'm planning on getting some school work out of the way and then heading to the gym tonight.

I'm looking forward to setting some more distinct goals for the next challenge. These have been a great way to start the year off, but I'm ready to get back into a planned groove.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asa Pond said:

Then there's me who is fully comfortable looking like a gunner and staying at home on weekend nights going to bed at 9pm and watching Criminal Minds.

I wonder if going to bed at 9 or not caring about going to bed at 9 is more of a sign of getting old becoming wiser and more mature? ;) 

1 hour ago, Asa Pond said:

I'm looking forward to setting some more distinct goals for the next challenge. These have been a great way to start the year off, but I'm ready to get back into a planned groove.

What do you have in mind?