• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mahalak

Mahalak Re-pots a Faceplant

The last challenge was...a challenge...and it felt more like a whimper than a win at the end. So, after a faceplant, re-pot and do better.

My Fitness Pal daily
Centering Prayer daily
Gym 3/week
Cardio 50K steps/week

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mahalak said:

it felt more like a whimper than a win at the end

I feel this hardcore. 

Welcome back! And good on you for getting back on the horse and keeping at it. Is there anything we can do to help this challenge stick? 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

Is there anything we can do to help this challenge stick? 

Just help me remember that there are really other people out there. Even we loners can get lonely or feel alone.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mahalak said:

Cardio 50K steps/week

I read this as 50k per day and was concerned for you. Glad I was wrong lol. Good to see you again!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, fleaball said:

I read this as 50k per day and was concerned for you.

concerned for my physical health at trying such a thing, or for my mental health in even considering a thing!! 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mahalak said:

concerned for my physical health at trying such a thing, or for my mental health in even considering a thing!! 

giphy.gif

Yes.

Four days into this challenge

Gym - zip. A short week, guests, some home health care....sigh. But I WILL make it in tomorrow morning before I go away for the weekend.

Cardio - fewer excuses with a treadmill at home. Not going to make 50K for the week, but I will get closer than I am.

My Fitness Pal - doing well inputting all I eat, and keeping to my calorie limit

Centering Prayer (Meditation) - daily, if not for a set time; I've also decided to start including 60 minutes of offering spiritual direction, because it is as intense a contemplative experience as anything.

One big step today is that I scheduled an appointment with a registered dietitian. I found out at the end of the year that my insurance covers all but a co-pay. I wanted to wait until the new year, but I also knew I was hesitant...a new thing, more self-exposure... But I found someone nearby, who offers a free consultation before I have to sign on the dotted line. My reasons for seeing her are multifold: with exercising more than I have, including strength training, I don't know what my optimal calorie count ought to be, or my protein, all while trying to lose weight, I need to watch my carbs, and could use more self-control. I don't want to diet, I do want it to be a lifestyle change, and I have made a lot of significant changes, from reducing diet coke to almost zero while switching almost entirely to water, upping my fruits and vegetable and cutting my carbs (got to get these Christmas cookies out of the house!). Good stuff, but I'm excited to meet this person next Friday and get to it. Now to get back to the gym!

• Like 2

Man, life has been crazy! Generally in good ways, but good crazy is still crazy. I can't believe it's been two weeks since I last posted. There have been a few evenings when I got on the NF site, but I could barely focus my eyes to read, let alone post.

So while two weeks ago I celebrated making an appointment with a dietitian, it was actually last Friday (a week ago from tomorrow) that I had my first appointment with her. I selected a woman from the options my insurance will allow, as I often find I relate better to women in these one-on-one "advising" situations. She's been at this for a few years, and is a powerlifter in her spare time (!).

My assignment for this first, intro, week is to take photos of everything I eat, and then indicate healthy/neutral/unhealthy and not hungry/hungry/very hungry. I'm supposed to eat as I normally eat, not try to eat healthier. Even my unskilled eyes have learned something, most especially of how vulnerable I am to eat way too much, and way too unhealthy, when I wait way too long to eat. No lunch until 2pm today, and Burger King was way too easy. And painful, afterward.

I meet with her tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to making some steps toward improvement. There are so many povs and so-called experts that I often don't know which end is up. NF has been helpful, but for whatever reason the diet piece hasn't been a win for me. Maybe it's that diet is so personalized. Or maybe I just want a personal touch. The big thing is, I'm taking the step forward. Details to follow!

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Thanks for checking in, Z13! Sorry I've been so off the grid. Things have actually been quite good - just too much good! Biggest thing of all is I had a really important community meeting to plan for turning a building into a homeless shelter. We had nearly 60 people come out on Thursday night, and made some good progress - definitely a great beginning! But of course, everything else went on the backburner in prepping for that. So life has been a lot of catch up since. 

Trying to re-boot on the cardio front. Been lax in getting up and getting moving. Watched a chunk of Born Strong from the treadmill this AM, and looking to the gym this PM. Feeling the diet changes, as I'm getting hungry at unusual times...not quite sure what to do about that, but will check in with dietitian. 

How are you doing?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mahalak said:

Thanks for checking in, Z13! Sorry I've been so off the grid. Things have actually been quite good - just too much good! Biggest thing of all is I had a really important community meeting to plan for turning a building into a homeless shelter. We had nearly 60 people come out on Thursday night, and made some good progress - definitely a great beginning! But of course, everything else went on the backburner in prepping for that. So life has been a lot of catch up since. 

That does sound pretty important. And a lot of work. 

Trying to re-boot on the cardio front. Been lax in getting up and getting moving. Watched a chunk of Born Strong from the treadmill this AM, and looking to the gym this PM. Feeling the diet changes, as I'm getting hungry at unusual times...not quite sure what to do about that, but will check in with dietitian. 

I think how quickly/when you get hungry depends a lot on what you eat when. Like, if I have salad for lunch around noon, then I'm hungry again by 3pm (because veggies don't keep me full for long). But if I have my breakfast burritos at like 9am, I won't get hungry again until around 4pm (probably because they have a lot of protein).  I'm sure the dietitian will have a few ideas.

How are you doing?

I feel like I've been running around in circles this past week or two. But I have a few goals that I'm actually doing okay with, and overall the challenge isn't going too bad.

• Like 1