• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tateman

Tateman and the battle to avoid surgery

Hello Fellow NF Rebels :) I'm Tateman. It's been awhile since my last challenge. November of 2016 to be exact, and it was a fail. That comeback was after another break where things got away from me. This time though, I have to get things done. Things got bad enough that my Doctor wants me to get weight loss surgery.

This is my last attempt to avoid having to do that.

A little back story:

Taking the way back machine back to 2013. I started my NF Journey at 333lbs. (Highest ever was 388lbs recorded) My Rebel Intro and eventually My first Challenge May 30th, 2013 Things were going great. I had signed up to do a Spartan race down in Malibu, Ca. I had never done anything like that. September 11th, 2013 I made it under 300lbs. December of 2013 I completed the Spartan race with the help of my Brother-in-law. June 2014 I completed my first ever 5k race. I had never before in my life run that far. The most I was up to was about 2 miles in the C25k app. Then in August 2014, I completed the Spartan Stadium Sprint, in AT&T Park, with my Sister and Brother-in-law. In October of 2014, I was taken off my Metformin (diabetes medication)

I got to my lowest weight in a very very long time. 260lbs. I had bounced around in weight in 2014, but still mostly tracked down.

And then it all came crashing down.

The mother of all snowball effects happened. I signed up to do a 15k race. Paid for, and never ran. I had already started tracking a bit higher in weight, then threw this failure on the fire. The mental depression had a grip, and would not let go. The fat me started winning more battles. By September of 2015, I was back up to almost my highest weight again. 384lbs. In 9 months, I had gained 124lbs.

Of course during all this, I had quit Nerd Fitness. Many people were gone that I originally talked to then.  On my birthday (November 2015), I decided to open up to those on Facebook. The thought was to get the help of my family and community to support me in the right path back. I was 382lbs that day.

Nothing really stuck. It was ok for a bit, but even family close to you fail when they don't truly support what you are trying to do. I had to deal with it all back when I did lose all that weight though, and I will still have to deal with it all now. That is just how things will have to be.

So over the past two years, not much has changed.

Now to current day

Eventually, my 44 year old body wasn't going to take this garbage anymore. Last summer I had an infection in a very bad place for a guy haha. I also hadn't done bloodwork in awhile. I finally did, and numbers were not good. My Doctor said enough was enough, and she thinks that I need to go in for weight loss surgery. That was in late July. I told her I really didn't want to go the Surgery route, because I don't believe it is a permanent solution. At least for me I don't think it would be. I know people that have failed. Even my wife had surgery, and is still heavy. It feels like I need to fix other things in my head, otherwise in 3-5 years I might just be back in the same spot. Surgery can do a lot to help me in the here and now, and it is very possible, that I can use it to learn to be eating the proper way. I just would hate to go though it, and fail still.

That motivation was working for me, but I slipped back into the crud I have been in. So today I start at 367.6lbs. I am late getting my bloodwork again. So I am planning on going next Sunday. I'm hoping all is not lost for me. 

I want to lose this weight. I want to see my goal weight. I want to run again. Something my teenage self would have never believed I would say. I want to be strong. I want to do this, not only to inspire my kids, but to do this for myself. 

I feel like I need to once again start over. This time finding the things to keep me going, and squashing the bad mental junk that likes to try to creep in.

So 2018, here we go.

This challenge is meant to help rebuild me. Rebuild the habits that gave me success before

Goal#1:  Down with the Carbs/Sugar demon, and Keto on

I want to get into Ketosis mode. The last couple of months I experimented with this a bit. For a few weeks I was really on it, and it was pretty great. Plenty of reading and being inspired by the keto community of Reddit. Now I need to establish it again, so I can continue on for the whole year. I know the start will be rough again. Much like when I did Whole30 eating, and the bit of Keto I had done already. Meals will be boring to start off. We got a Crockpot pressure cooker now though, so time to find stuff with that. Cookbooks incoming as well. I will be tracking my food intake at MyFitnessPal. 

Goal#2:  Exercise beginner mode

I need to get into Exercise again. Got my new Fitbit Blaze to try out ;) Now to not overwhelm myself, I'm not going to try to go all balls out right away. Let's start off easy with Walking. 3 times a week to be specific. Then next move is walking each day. First I want to establish just doing it first! The plan is to go in the mornings. No set time, but 30 minutes is the goal to start. Hopefully by mid challenge, I will want to be walking more and more. I notice that walking does help clear my head, and makes me feel good. Eventually this walking may lead to running again, down the road ;)

Goal#3:  The night Owl must become the early bird

Ohh so many nights staying up till 3am, and getting garbage sleep. I'm done with it. I do have a CPAP machine now to help make sure Sleep Apnea won't get in my way. I need to get myself into a sleep routine again. I want to be in bed by 12:30am. I have tones of books to read. I bought the first 5 books of The Expanse :) So I'm thinking 11-11:30pm I turn off the computer, and settle down with some reading.

Goal#4:  Blog all the things

So for fun, I finally setup my website as a blog. I've had tateland.com for years, but always put off doing something with it. I still am working on it some, and have done some in general gaming blogging. Now to add to the "Health" section. I am going to attempt to blog every day about my health journey this year. I am going to try taking a picture each day of my face to see if I can track changes over the year. Also weekly body pictures to do the same. Next year, I hope to have a cool little project done. Part of this will be cross posting as updates each day in this thread.

Grading:

Goal#1 - 7 days, 14 points. 1 point for each day of tracking. 1 point for staying under 20 net carbs

Goal#2 - 3 days, 1 point per day of walking. (hopefully, will increase during this challenge) Update for week 4, 5 days a week. 1 points for each walk.

Goal#3 - 7 days, 7 points. 1 point for getting into bed by 12:30pm. 

Goal#4 - 7 days, 14 points. 1 point for each day I blog, 1 point for posting here

Weekly Points:

Week 1: 37/38 - 97%

Week 2: 36.5/38 - 96%

Week 3: 38/38 - 100%

Week 4:

Week 5:

Measurements Start/Finish:

Weight:  367.6lbs / 

Neck:  19.68 in / 

Chest:  55.90 in / 

Waist at bell button:  61.41 in / 

Bicep (L):  17.91 in / 

Bicep (R):  16.92 in / 

Forearm (L):  13.89 in / 

Forearm (R):  13.89 in / 

Thigh (L):  30.31 in / 

Thigh (R):  28.89 in / 

• Like 4

First: sorry to hear about all the crap you've been through.

Second: glad you're back! Seems like a solid plan to get going again. 

Third: I was under the impression that to be eligible for surgery you have to lose a certain amount of weight on your own first? But you don't mention that. You don't have to say whether that's a thing you're working on or not. I just know that I've seen a lot of stories where people were like "yeah they wanted me to lose X first and I felt so good doing what I was doing that I just didn't do surgery and kept doing it on my own." So I was just thinking that could be helpful. I know people fall off the wagon after surgery but you seem pretty adamant not to get on that particular wagon in the first place. So I'll be here cheering you on. :)

• Like 3

Welcome back! I'm starting keto with this challenge, too, although for me it will be the first time. I will be here cheering you on (and possibly commiserating about "keto flu"). Also, if you're looking for fitbit friends, feel free to add me. My profile's in my signature.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fleaball said:

First: sorry to hear about all the crap you've been through.

Second: glad you're back! Seems like a solid plan to get going again. 

Third: I was under the impression that to be eligible for surgery you have to lose a certain amount of weight on your own first? But you don't mention that. You don't have to say whether that's a thing you're working on or not. I just know that I've seen a lot of stories where people were like "yeah they wanted me to lose X first and I felt so good doing what I was doing that I just didn't do surgery and kept doing it on my own." So I was just thinking that could be helpful. I know people fall off the wagon after surgery but you seem pretty adamant not to get on that particular wagon in the first place. So I'll be here cheering you on. :)

Yeah, normally I know that there is a certain amount they want you to usually lose before a surgery. We didn't get that far into the discussion. My Doc just realised i was not heading into a good place and was thinking it was time to go into extreme mode.

I had a phone appointment with her when she told me she thought Surgery was the way I needed to go. I wrote back to her later saying basically what I posted about. She was ok with No surgery, but I had to do my part, and I haven't been as much as I need to.

William

Your sugars are so high it has affected your kidneys and you are spilling protein in your urine.

I believe this calls for immediate change in strategy

I want to use the surgery option as a way to motivate me from it. I had thought about giving myself some kind of ultimatum at times. Like if in 3 months things are not much improved, then I have to actually talk about doing surgery. 

And Thanks, I am glad to be back. 

1 hour ago, Starstuff said:

Welcome back! I'm starting keto with this challenge, too, although for me it will be the first time. I will be here cheering you on (and possibly commiserating about "keto flu"). Also, if you're looking for fitbit friends, feel free to add me. My profile's in my signature.

Thanks! Will send out the friend add shortly :) Keto can be really good. I was in the middle of the Keto flu when I was helping someone move. It was 114 degree weather, and I am already a diabetic. So I started to get really light headed. I was worried I would pass out, so I started back into carb load mode during then. It was probably more heatstroke with not getting a decent breakfast more then a keto issue. I did another go for awhile before my last birthday, and it was going really well. There was a few days there where I really hit the stride of "Oh don't feel hunger at all, and I barely had 1200 calories today"  So I really hope to get back to that. the big hurdle this month is both my kids birthdays. I can just avoid the cake those couple of days ;)

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Emma said:

Welcome back, Tateman. :)

Setup and made a blog post today. Mostly just a framework like this thread. Here is my sleep from New Year's Eve

TEnWHEO.jpg

2:29am to 9:35am with a period where I had to get up haha. Hopefully, tonight will be much better.

• Like 2

Welcome back on board!  My highest weight was a few pounds shy of your highest, and I'm not that far under it right now either, and docs have been offhand mentioning the surgery route for a while now for me too.  So I get your motivation in a big way.

Starting keto is rough because of the ol' carb flu.  Feeling crappy and miserable tends to lead to comfort food eating (at least for me anyway) and it devolves into a vicious cycle.  Best way to get through that phase is make sure your fat intake is good and your electrolytes are all kosher, then it doesn't hit quite so bad.  

Great starting point, now it's just putting one foot in front of the other.  You've got this. :) 

• Like 3

Welcome back, Tateman!

Most of my friends and family don't fully support any attempts at getting healthier. And will turn down any and all offers from me to help them. (And the whole, "I'm ordering pizza, do you want some?" when they know I'm trying to eat better doesn't help.) So I understand that frustration. It's also one of the reasons I came to NF in the first place.

Good luck with everything, and I hope you stick around this time! :D

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Starstuff said:

I will be here cheering you on (and possibly commiserating about "keto flu")

11 hours ago, Tateman said:

I was in the middle of the Keto flu when I was helping someone move. It was 114 degree weather

9 hours ago, Stardust said:

Starting keto is rough because of the ol' carb flu.  Feeling crappy and miserable tends to lead to comfort food eating (at least for me anyway) and it devolves into a vicious cycle.  Best way to get through that phase is make sure your fat intake is good and your electrolytes are all kosher, then it doesn't hit quite so bad. 

Seeeeeriously watch your potassium levels when you start keto. Hydrate like crazy and keep your electrolytes up as much as possible. Some of the best sources of potassium are a little too carby for keto (potatoes, beans, acorn squash, dried apricots) but plenty of others have the green light. Stock up on avocados, spinach, and wild-caught salmon. If you can find and tolerate unsweetened coconut water, drink lots of it, since it covers most electrolytes pretty well. Good luck to all of you! 

• Like 2

Most of my friends and family don't fully support any attempts at getting healthier. And will turn down any and all offers from me to help them. (And the whole, "I'm ordering pizza, do you want some?" when they know I'm trying to eat better doesn't help.) So I understand that frustration.

Yep, same. Most of my family support the idea of health, but not the actual practice. Eating healthy and working out are a chore that should be done but you should be felt bad for if you’re doing it, and it needs to have an end point. I also think they don’t really know how to be supportive. Like, telling me to eat more pizza or that I “don’t need to exercise” is complimentary, because it implies that I’m fine the way I am. It’s meant to be nice, but it’s wrong nice. I appreciate their acceptance, but it’s not helpful. And it’s sooo hard to turn down pizza... or wings...or cheesecake...

We’re with you though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Stardust said:

Welcome back on board!  My highest weight was a few pounds shy of your highest, and I'm not that far under it right now either, and docs have been offhand mentioning the surgery route for a while now for me too.  So I get your motivation in a big way.

Great starting point, now it's just putting one foot in front of the other.  You've got this. :) 

Yeah, been through that carb flu a couple of times, so I at least kinda know what to expect ;) Having cookies/candies/chex mix around doesn't help, so much. I'll get through it though. I have to get my mind back to running the "Nope, I just can't have this now." The one thing I need to make sure of is those electrolytes. I know I am a water only kind of drinker. So I probably will need to stock up on some items to help me out ;) Let's do this!

43 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

Welcome back, Tateman!

Most of my friends and family don't fully support any attempts at getting healthier. And will turn down any and all offers from me to help them. (And the whole, "I'm ordering pizza, do you want some?" when they know I'm trying to eat better doesn't help.) So I understand that frustration. It's also one of the reasons I came to NF in the first place.

Good luck with everything, and I hope you stick around this time! :D

Yeah, that phrase has been used plenty of times here. Though most times I can make something work. Like I come back with "Let me check what low carb/no carb options they have." Then I can have something like wings (no sauce). Otherwise, time to bust out things I premade :)

I plan to stick around. Though I always thought that haha. I just need to keep coming back each day for inspiration from you all :)

16 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

Seeeeeriously watch your potassium levels when you start keto. Hydrate like crazy and keep your electrolytes up as much as possible. Some of the best sources of potassium are a little too carby for keto (potatoes, beans, acorn squash, dried apricots) but plenty of others have the green light. Stock up on avocados, spinach, and wild-caught salmon. If you can find and tolerate unsweetened coconut water, drink lots of it, since it covers most electrolytes pretty well. Good luck to all of you! 

Thanks. I am tracking my water intake on MFP as well. Trying to make sure I get plenty in the day :) Haven't tried coconut water, but I might try it. I don't like Avocados really, but I might force myself to try again ;) I am eating Salad pretty regularly with no carb italian dressing. Usually have a "spring mix" plus I'll add in broccoli in. Maybe I can make sure I add in soem spinach in there too. 

2 minutes ago, Hypotheticalfox said:

Yep, same. Most of my family support the idea of health, but not the actual practice. Eating healthy and working out are a chore that should be done but you should be felt bad for if you’re doing it, and it needs to have an end point. I also think they don’t really know how to be supportive. Like, telling me to eat more pizza or that I “don’t need to exercise” is complimentary, because it implies that I’m fine the way I am. It’s meant to be nice, but it’s wrong nice. I appreciate their acceptance, but it’s not helpful. And it’s sooo hard to turn down pizza... or wings...or cheesecake...

We’re with you though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I hear you :) We all got this though. We are all going to kill it this year! :)

• Like 3

Just a quick update for Day 1. 

So far so good here. MFP http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary?date=2018-01-01 Calories were low. I didn't really eat until 2pm haha. I'm ok with the numbers though so far. Tracking done, and under 20 net carbs. 2 points

Nothing really done here yet. 0 points

Here was my sleep chart for last night:

piEkKwj.jpg

Reading was great. I actually wanted to stay up longer to read more, but I didn't. Made it to bed right around 12:30am. My Fitbit started tracking it at 12:37am. Woke up at 7:43am. Not too much awake time, so this was good. 1 point

Made my blog post, and posted here as well. 2 points 

Overall a pretty great start.

Each day I am trying to think up little victories.

Yesterday, we went to see Star Wars: The Last Jedi. (main reason I didn't eat till like 2pm) After the movie, my wife asked where do we want to go for lunch. Older kid wanted Wendys, the younger one wanted McDonalds. My wife asks me and I say "Well, nothing really. I'm trying to eat healthy this year." She said she was thinking of stopping by one of the places I really like, King Eggroll Express, but won't now. haha. I ended up grabbing a Bacon Ranch Grilled Chicken salad from Mcdonalds, with no dressing. I use a Ken's brand at home that has zero carbs. I also avoided all the bad at the move theater. No popcorn, no candy.

So all in all, a successful day 1. :)

• Like 5

Day 2 Summary, success :)

Food went well. MFP food diary Precooked some chicken, plus did a bit of shopping at Costco. Stayed under 20 net carbs So 2 points

Once again, no work here. I did get plenty of walking at Costco, but didn't go out for a walk ;) 0 points so far

YvGL1Ou.jpg

Sleep was rough last night. I didn't feel like I slept very well. Still. Made it to sleep by 12:30am. 12:18am to 8:00am is what Fitbit tracked. I didn't read as long. I was in an LFR group in World of Warcraft, and they were being bad. Took a little past 11:30pm. but I didn't finish anything else in game. Shut down to read, then sleep. 1 point

Wrote up Day 2 in my Blog. Also posted here at NF. Also tried to get out there and post in other people's challenge threads. 2 points.

Little victory for day 2:

I oven roasted a bag of frozen chicken breast. My older son (19 this month), came out to ask what I was cooking. Then asked if he could have one. Later came out and like 4 of them total. They were smaller. Pretty much have of what I made. He asked if they were healthy. I told him they were. No frying, and just some spice. He said they were better then anything else chickenwise from fast food. "I don't know if it is the seasoning or what, but these are fucking good"

Day 3 is off to little sluggish. Not feeling the best from not so great sleep, and probably hitting some keto flu potentially. I noticed I was a little quick to anger this morning. Still, did the dishes this morning, and made more chicken breasts.

• Like 4

Day 3 recap :)

So day 3 started off rough. Sleep was bad the previous night. I was tired and irritable. Overall though, I was ok. Made more chicken breasts, did dishes, and ran some mythic plus runs with my guild in World of Warcraft. It was raining a lot, so I never got out for a walk. 

MFP Food Diary  Food went well. I found myself a lot hungrier today for some reason. Too many candy/chips and things around I think. I had lots of those impulse thoughts of "Ohh, let me grab that thing of M&Ms" or "Oh yeah, those chips would be great right now" I still avoided all the things. 1307cals, 14 net carbs. Tracking and staying under target carbs 2 points here.

Did not move to walking. So 0 points so far

aEC4YFW.jpg

12:37am to 8am for sleep. Even had a 4.5 earthquake in there last night haha. Earthquake was about 2:40am. I only slight woke up and hear my kid ask if we felt it. I did have to get up at 4 to go to the bathroom, which I hate doing. Otherwise, sleep felt ok. Really enjoying my reading time now. 1 point

I did get in a Day 3 Blog post, and did NF posts. 2 points

My small victory of the day:

Just not giving into any of those grab all the food impulses. :)

• Like 3

Day 4 so far is starting off well. I actually got out for a bit of a walk today :) Will have bowling tonight, and I need to get the lights off the Christmas tree.

• Like 3

"My small victory of the day:

Just not giving into any of those grab all the food impulses. :)"

This is not a small victory.

You felt the quake this morning? You don't live all that far from me. 

Reading the news reports about the quake.

National news:

Forbes: Powerful 4.4 quake

CNN: 4.4 jolts the bay area

Local news:

Mercury nerws (San Jose): Just a magnitude 4.4 shaker. Are you ready for the big one?

:)

Have fun bowling.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Emma said:

"My small victory of the day:

Just not giving into any of those grab all the food impulses. :)"

This is not a small victory.

You felt the quake this morning? You don't live all that far from me. 

Reading the news reports about the quake.

National news:

Forbes: Powerful 4.4 quake

CNN: 4.4 jolts the bay area

Local news:

Mercury nerws (San Jose): Just a magnitude 4.4 shaker. Are you ready for the big one?

:)

Have fun bowling.

Yup, I live in North San Jose, near the border of Milpitas. :) I bowl in Fremont.

Been lots of talk about how we are "overdue" for the big one again. With there being a couple of 4 sized ones recently, I have talked with the wife about getting out supplies done up, since we have none really now. Just in case ;)

• Like 3

Day 4 recap time!

Hey, I walked! :) Nothing fancy. Not quite 30 minutes, but I'll get there soon enough. Ate a few extra calories (nothing extreme) and still stayed under 20g net carbs.

MFP Food Diary.  1720 calories, 18 net carbs. Overall eating was fine. I did have a weird dinner moment. Was running behind when I had to leave for bowling. So I heated up the 6 chicken meatballs to eat on the way. Then ate chicken, salad, and almonds when I got home. This helped me not to be starving during bowling, and be able to test my bloodsugar when I got home. I probably should have had almonds too, but I wasn't sure if I was going to eat then until after I was home.  2 points

I finally did it :) Got out there and went for a walk. 

WnpASji.jpg

Nothing too fancy. Just over a mile. Had a couple of tiny sprinkles start up, but it was mostly just overcast the whole time. Kinda wanted to go longer, but could feel my back aching up a bit. 1 point

cV5pCq5.jpg

12:34am to 8:24am. Sleep was ok. Took me a but to get really comfortable. I started to have a little cough when I on my normal side, so I had to start off different. Plus, we really need a new bed. waking up sore sucks. Still, got to bed when I wanted, got to read when I wanted. 1 point 

I did in fact post things here, and made a blog post for the day. 2 points

Small victory of the day:

I actually went out to walk :)

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Tateman said:

Been lots of talk about how we are "overdue" for the big one again. With there being a couple of 4 sized ones recently, I have talked with the wife about getting out supplies done up, since we have none really now. Just in case ;)

It's not a bad idea. It's better to get them before everyone else starts freaking out and suddenly there's nothing left. 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Tateman said:

Mm. That's a good point. For some reason I never really think about earthquake preparedness, but I've lived with people who (very intelligently) keep a kit ready. Also a fire extinguisher, just in case. Apparently it's weird/stupid that I did not grow up with one of those in my house. Whoops. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

It's not a bad idea. It's better to get them before everyone else starts freaking out and suddenly there's nothing left. 

17 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

Mm. That's a good point. For some reason I never really think about earthquake preparedness, but I've lived with people who (very intelligently) keep a kit ready. Also a fire extinguisher, just in case. Apparently it's weird/stupid that I did not grow up with one of those in my house. Whoops. 

Yup, I've lived in California since I was 10. We never really had anything prepared. When we lived in Missouri, we did have the "shelter" down in the basement. Good for hiding when we would get the tornado sirens. Lived on an air force base. No tornadoes ever touched down, but they did destroy the towns next to the base.

I think realistically, if everything went to hell right this minute, we could last a few days on what we have. The biggest issue is not having water. We would be rationing out my kids caprisun drinks for drinking, and some alcohol haha.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Tateman said:

I think realistically, if everything went to hell right this minute, we could last a few days on what we have. The biggest issue is not having water. We would be rationing out my kids caprisun drinks for drinking, and some alcohol haha.

I wonder how much alcohol it takes to sterilize water in the absence of a heat source? Obviously boiling would be preferable, but in a pinch you could probably "purify" water with booze. It would just be really diluted alcohol. (Or perhaps not so diluted? lol) 

Technically if everything went to hell right now you could last for a few days on nothing at all, but it's always good to plan to be at least slightly more comfortable. Dehydration is no joke. And it would be important to be able to handle any small-scale injuries on your own, since hospitals would basically immediately be overwhelmed. Disaster preparedness is no joke. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

I wonder how much alcohol it takes to sterilize water in the absence of a heat source? Obviously boiling would be preferable, but in a pinch you could probably "purify" water with booze. It would just be really diluted alcohol. (Or perhaps not so diluted? lol) 

That's what they did in the olden times (it started becoming less of a thing during the Victorian era.) Though obviously the adults would still drink the undiluted stuff. Also one of the reasons tea became such a big thing. Someone figured out that putting these leaves in boiling water turned it into something that actually tastes good! (Kids sometimes got diluted tea.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wobbegong said:

Technically if everything went to hell right now you could last for a few days on nothing at all, but it's always good to plan to be at least slightly more comfortable. Dehydration is no joke. And it would be important to be able to handle any small-scale injuries on your own, since hospitals would basically immediately be overwhelmed. Disaster preparedness is no joke. 

5 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

That's what they did in the olden times (it started becoming less of a thing during the Victorian era.) Though obviously the adults would still drink the undiluted stuff. Also one of the reasons tea became such a big thing. Someone figured out that putting these leaves in boiling water turned it into something that actually tastes good! (Kids sometimes got diluted tea.)

One big probably is that we would have no heat source. I joked with the wife that I would be starting up the BBQ and cooking things. All electric stuff in the house. :(  I was going to make a list today, so we can make our bug out bag ;)

• Like 3

The ancient romans drank watered down wine to kill the bugs in the water. :) You can use a few drops of bleach for dirty water. There are also UV sterilizers and various types of filters available. Jet boil will heat small amounts of water (backpacking gear).

Where will you bug out to? How much damage is there in the area? How many bridges and overpasses are down? What roads are closed? You might have to bug out a ways away. I keep a get home backpack in my car and the work van. Freeze dried food, water, space blanket, first aid. I could get caught a long way from home. I also keep extra cash in my backpack. I want to get a police scanner not connected to internet so I can hear what's going on. Cell towers might be down. Local radio stations and internet might be down. During the October fire one of the two local radio stations had to evacuate and couldn't broadcast. We depended heavily on the other as the only source of news.

https://beprepared.com

My favorite site for supplies.

https://www.ready.gov/community-emergency-response-team 

Get training for helping with disasters in your neighborhood

The problem I have here in the mobile home park is water, as in we are on a well (electric pump) and hooked up to city sewer (electric pump). So if the power goes out for more than a couple of days, the back up generator runs out of fuel and the water runs out and  the sewage starts backing up. Which means I will have to leave and go stay with my kids. No way for anyone  to stay here if the sewage pump isn't working. At my mother's big house our plan was to empty out a storage shed and hunker down with camping gear. Water was from a big city storage tank on the hill (gravity fed) so we were good for water for a while as long as the pipes were intact. Dig out the connector for the septic tank and put a home made porta potty near it so we could dump sewage straight in the tank. I know everyone's first thought is water, but close behind it should be sewage. Ugly, I know but that's where disease comes from.

• Like 3