• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

karinajean

karinajean is actionable and accountable!

Recommended Posts

HAPPY NEW YEAR PEACHES!

 

It's back to basics for me this year. I need to be 

 

ACTIONABLE

and 

ACCOUNTABLE.

 

I know I know, that's what my GOALS are supposed to be. but it's not about them, this is about ME. I need a firm reboot and a hard reset and I need to get my head back into the game and out of the clouds and some other silly analogies etc etc etc.

I have too many I WANT TO DO'S and not enough THIS IS WHAT I AM DOING, and I need to get back on to a plan before I can start to really attempt the millions of shiny that I want to chase.

So, January is for resetting.

 

Goal 1: 30 days of yoga

My body is wrecked y'all. I mean, I'm not INJURED or anything - but I'm stiff and sore and I have twinges and I do yoga now and then and don't have the mobility and flexibility that I really want to do. So, I'm signing up for the 30-days of Yoga by Adriene on youtube, and I'm going to do it every day. 

* FYI potential yoga people doyogawithme also has some great challenges but the durations of classes is between 15 minutes and 75 minutes for them, and I really just don't have the time in the morning to do this.

 

Goal 2: track food

I haven't been tracking at all for ages! so, every day, track the things in loseit. EVERY DAY. just write it down! what's the big deal?

 

Goal 3: push-up progressions

This should be simpler than it is, apparently. 3x8 of push-up progressions. do them every day. 

there's a lot of push-up progression options out there. I'm at counter height, I'd like to move to chair height, and then a lower box or negatives.

 

SIDE PARTY

also, start to seriously look at things you want to do.

* I mean, do I want to run? or am I just feeling lazy / it's 5 deg F outside right now?

* what about weights? if I start weight lifting on tuesdays after tkd with my dojo owner, how can i fit more weights in? dust off the new rules of lifting for women? work on that at the same time?

* what will my mornings look like next month? will I have time to keep doing the yoga?

* what does my diet need to look like to get where I want to be? or at least, to get a little less holiday belly?

* oh, did I want to try pole dancing classes at that place near my house?

 

these are all complicated things that I don't know the answer to. THEY REQUIRE RUMINATION.

 

Also in the interests of SUCCEEDING I declare a monday start.

also, still doing the tae kwon do, etc. etc. etc.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's my day 1!

 

this morning I got up a little late and did a 30 minute yoga thing. I know, this is an intermediate class, but there's so many things that I feel like should be so simple! like - when in downward dog, pick up one of my legs and point it towards the sky! and also my lower hip back butt area is so twingy on the right side! and when I stand on one leg it shakes and shakes and shakes! and my hamstrings, oh lordy my hamstrings! so, this is where I decided for sure to incorporate daily yoga.

 

I went to a knitting party and didn't overeat, which is kind of a hard task, and then came home and knit and knit.

 

I wanted to do some simple things like: fill my fountain pens! on this first day of the year but Eighteen is planning to head back to school in OH tomorrow night and his truck doesn't have any heat in it right now. so, this evening was running around a little while we swapped out one of our cars for his, and then took his over to the shop in case they can maybe get to it tomorrow morning, and then dropped off an insurance card for him because of course it wasn't in the car already. so, now it's 10:20 and I'm late to bed and my husband and I are doing a janky commute tomorrow where I have to get up and leave promptly with him so he can get to the train. but, that's ok. I'm thankful that we can lend one to Eighteen so he can get back to school 600 miles away safely. it's way too cold to be a hero and drive without any heat in the truck cab, and even he knows it, and my husband just needs to drive it 5 miles to the train station and can manage without heat if he has to before we can get it repaired.

 

so, now I need to go to bed, but first, I need to do 3x8 counter push-ups and log all my food. NO PROBLEM. Nice job, day 1!

 

tomorrow I'll need to wake up a little early and spring out of bed so I can fit in the 24 min. practice before having to get out the door.

ps, work is going to be crazy busy next week, so the true challenge is to stick to my goals despite being crazy.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 2! yoga achieved.

 

here's a funny secret about me: I don't really like 30-day challenges. I KNOW THIS IS CRAZY the nerd fitness structure is pretty much a 30 day challenge! but really I don't like people telling me what to do, I think, for 30 days straight. HOWEVER, while I was yoga-ing  this morning the theme today is "motivate" and I was thinking about my motivation for doing yoga for 30 days straight. I'm really flexible, but only in certain directions. and, I really think I damaged my body when I pushed it so hard last spring to visit my dad in ths hospital every weekend, and running, and doing all the things. it slips back into these kinda-injuries very easily - my hips and hamstrings, especially. so, even though I am worried that the yoga won't be the level of physical activity that I want / need to lose a little holiday weight, and to tone up, and even though it's not as aggressive a way to tackle my physical goals as I am accustomed to, I need to turn inwards a little more calmly and slowly so I can reset and heal and strengthen, and then expand out more dynbamically to the new activities I'd like to try.

 

sounds reasonable, yeah?

 

7 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Great goals! Following. <3

 

yay, and hi!

AND relevant to @Cataleya (who also did this) I signed up for an inauspiciously n amed "weight loss intervention study" that is offered by 23andme last night. I am randomly assigned to the group that will eat more fiber and reduce animal fats while staying physically active. I'm a little concerned about this grouping because we only drink full fat milk and eat full fat yogurt, and we do eat a lot of butter. THAT SAID, it's not a huge amount of these things. so I'll see what they are asking me to do. it's a 12-week plan and it starts 1/8/18 and they will send me tips and tricks and suggestions. 

 

1 hour ago, tei_ said:

POLE DANCING I vote yaaaaaas!

 

4 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

You know where my vote is. ;) 

 

ha ha yes! I did look at their website in December and I really can't figure out their local class schedule. so that's something to understand better.

although I am still very rightfully concerned about falling on my head.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting. They randomly assigned you? They allowed me to pick. I wonder if that's part of their plan as well, to test whether buy in is a thing or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cataleya said:

Interesting. They randomly assigned you? They allowed me to pick. I wonder if that's part of their plan as well, to test whether buy in is a thing or something.

 

I think I read that are 2 arms of the study, one is random assignment, and the other is picking what you want to do. I am guessing that it's random assignment to one of two arms, and then it's either further random assignment, or self-selection.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a month of resetting with yoga is a great idea. Get you in tune with your own self for awhile and gauge where you are and where you want to go. Smart!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, karinajean said:

the true challenge is to stick to my goals despite being crazy

When is this not true for you? :P

 

2 hours ago, karinajean said:

even though it's not as aggressive a way to tackle my physical goals as I am accustomed to, I need to turn inwards a little more calmly and slowly so I can reset and heal and strengthen

I am calling it aggressive rest and recovery. Makes me feel more badass. Feel free to join.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I, for a brief moment reading your challenge, almost added 30 days of yoga to my own, but I also hate having to check in on a DAILY thing for a whole month. But YOGA. So good for listening to your body. Maybe I'll pocket it for another time.

 

It is good your are ruminating on these important things. Hope you find some satisfactory answers. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, karinajean said:

here's a funny secret about me: I don't really like 30-day challenges

 

I right there with you. Instead of calling it a 30 day challenge I call them monthly focuses! My focus this month is Yoga as well. :) 

 

Interested to head more about the study you are doing and to see how it goes!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, karinajean said:

I know I know, that's what my GOALS are supposed to be. but it's not about them, this is about ME. I need a firm reboot and a hard reset and I need to get my head back into the game and out of the clouds and some other silly analogies etc etc etc.

I have too many I WANT TO DO'S and not enough THIS IS WHAT I AM DOING, and I need to get back on to a plan before I can start to really attempt the millions of shiny that I want to chase.

So, January is for resetting.

 

Omg, yes, so much the yes.    /leans on twin!  Hahaha.

 

Much in the same boat girlfriend.    Why must we have so many things we love and like and want to do?   LOL!   We'll get it sorted out.   Because we are amazing!   And damnit.   I seriously want to plan a meetup with you during my travel excursions this year.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great goals!  I'm having a resetting type of January, too.  Yoga every day is an awesome idea!  I also like your plan for push ups.  Can you manage any reps at a lower height yet?  If so, it might be a good idea to do whatever reps you can at the lower height, and then finish out your set at your usual counter height.  

The nutrition study sounds interesting.  Really, increasing fiber and decreasing animal fats sounds quite healthy, so I'm sure it will help. :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Starpuck said:

 

Omg, yes, so much the yes.    /leans on twin!  Hahaha.

 

Much in the same boat girlfriend.    Why must we have so many things we love and like and want to do?   LOL!   We'll get it sorted out.   Because we are amazing!   And damnit.   I seriously want to plan a meetup with you during my travel excursions this year.  

OMG YES

my brother in law lives in chicago, actually. that said we never seem to do real travel. but we should for SURE work something out this year.

 

15 hours ago, Nymeria said:

Great goals!  I'm having a resetting type of January, too.  Yoga every day is an awesome idea!  I also like your plan for push ups.  Can you manage any reps at a lower height yet?  If so, it might be a good idea to do whatever reps you can at the lower height, and then finish out your set at your usual counter height.  

The nutrition study sounds interesting.  Really, increasing fiber and decreasing animal fats sounds quite healthy, so I'm sure it will help. :) 

 

I've learned this week that my bathroom counter is both a tiny bit lower, but also not as wide as the kitchen counter so my elbows are forced to tuck in by my sides and it gives me a really serious biceps workout. last night I did 2 sets on the bathroom counter and then spun around and did the last set on the wall.

 

I'm all about increasing fiber.... I eat mostly whole foods anyway, so it's silly that I dont' have higher fiber counts! (note: track veg so you can be sure of this.) I'm hoping I can manage to decrease animal fats by focusing on my meat choices rather than my whole milk though. I enjoy a high-dairy lifestyle, and I believe that the full-fat version is better for you than the skim version (which is mostly just sugary protein water).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, sylph said:

I think a month of resetting with yoga is a great idea. Get you in tune with your own self for awhile and gauge where you are and where you want to go. Smart!

I was thinking of you and your sun salutations as I set up this challenge actually! I am just not invested enough in yoga at this point to do that on my own, so I'm hopeful this will help in that regard, as well.

 

21 hours ago, annyshay said:

When is this not true for you? :P

 

I am calling it aggressive rest and recovery. Makes me feel more badass. Feel free to join.

oh hush you. ;) <3

 

YES. I am actively and aggressively resting and recovering. 

 

20 hours ago, raptron said:

I, for a brief moment reading your challenge, almost added 30 days of yoga to my own, but I also hate having to check in on a DAILY thing for a whole month. But YOGA. So good for listening to your body. Maybe I'll pocket it for another time.

 

It is good your are ruminating on these important things. Hope you find some satisfactory answers. 

ha ha! you get it! add all the challenges!

but you are also like me in that you are highly scheduled, right? so it's hard to add a daily committment on top of other things.

 

16 hours ago, Jonesy said:

I right there with you. Instead of calling it a 30 day challenge I call them monthly focuses! My focus this month is Yoga as well. :) 

go team yoga! and I like the reframe!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 2 conclusion: I had to get out of bed to go do my push-ups, but I did them.

I didn't track food 100% during the day but I'm all caught up now. I ATE A LOT. I got a huge lunch and thought I'd save 1/2 for today but then ate the whole thing. DARN IT. 

also, tkd last night was not strenuous because we are checking the kids for a test later in the month. BUT, my legs were sore when I was getting into bed and I bet it's the yoga already kicking in. my legs are SO TIGHT right now, yo. this is so good for me.

 

Day 3!

yoga today. it was a 35 min set and I rushed through the shower because my husband and I are carpooling and I had to get him to a train. he made me a tremendously large breakfast (egg sandwich with sliced italian sausage inside, so delicious) and it took forever to eat. tonight I have a hair cut so with the carpooling, I'm picking up Fourteen, taking him with to the hair appt, then getting my husband at the train station and we are having taco bell for dinner. So that means my lunch needs to be really sensible. 

also I would like to not to remember to do my push-ups before I get into bed, so I don't have to get out again.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, karinajean said:

I was thinking of you and your sun salutations as I set up this challenge actually! I am just not invested enough in yoga at this point to do that on my own, so I'm hopeful this will help in that regard, as well.

 

Speaking of which, I should get back to that....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, karinajean said:

ha ha! you get it! add all the challenges!

but you are also like me in that you are highly scheduled, right? so it's hard to add a daily committment on top of other things.

Not nearly as aggressively scheduled as you! So if you are doing it, I definitely could make it work too. :)

 

GOOD JOB GETTING OUT OF BED TO DO PUSH-UPS! Sometimes I forget a thing after I'm in bed and it's like HAH TOO LATE, WORLD, YOU CANNOT EXPECT ANYTHING OUT OF ME NOW. Especially now that it is winter and my house is cold and I still don't wear clothes to bed so it's like 'BACK TO THAT TUNDRA? NO WAYYYY.' You are a champ.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thinking about my goals and how I want to lose some weight. I'm back up at 190ish, which is higher than I'd like. my fake goal has been 175ish, which is under the BMI overweight range. I was down around 178 in 2015 for nearly 10 months! and I know I was still a little softer in spots than I wanted. all that said because: I would like to get this kind of custom fit armored motorcycle jean, but I would like to NOT spend nearly $400 bucks on something that is not a size I want to be at. I don't need them at all, really, I'm totally happy with my aerostich oversuit, but they would be cool to have for day rides when I know it's not going to rain. 

 

this is my current outfit now: 

21777661898_f4fb61f085_b.jpg

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had those same thoughts when I had to buy new hockey pants.  (Not buying new pants at a size I don't want to be at.)    I feel like our weights and goals are like, exactly the same (adding in height differences heh) because I got myself back up into the 160 decade (just barely and it's already improving) but 145 is my soft goal, and 137 is supposedly the highest weight I should be given my height and crap.        My happy phase in 2013 between June-August, (right after my first few NF challenges) was at 140 and happy as a clam.   I look at those pics and go 'YES, that's the me I want to recapture!'      

 

We got this girl, we got this!   You're gonna get those awesome jeans because DAYEM!  THEY ARE MEANT FOR THE AWESOME THAT IS YOU!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now