• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

karinajean

karinajean is actionable and accountable!

5 hours ago, karinajean said:

I would like to NOT spend nearly $400 bucks on something that is not a size I want to be at.

I had so many of these feelings when I was buying that coat a few months ago.

o hi following

• Like 1

Are you 5'5" ish? Because I am and was also down to 178lbs in 2015 which is either right at or just below overweight via BMI and kind of feel like you might be my body twin. Though my soft goal is like 160, hard goal is like 145 or 150. Was 135 in high school which was maybe a bit too thin.

14 hours ago, karinajean said:

also I would like to not to remember to do my push-ups before I get into bed, so I don't have to get out again.

When I had a similar challenge re. stretching, I occasionally fulfilled the minimum requirements in bed.

Edit: This statement was unintentional but I like it so I'm leaving it.

Edited by tei_
  • Haha 2

On 1/3/2018 at 10:28 AM, Starpuck said:

I had those same thoughts when I had to buy new hockey pants.  (Not buying new pants at a size I don't want to be at.)    I feel like our weights and goals are like, exactly the same (adding in height differences heh) because I got myself back up into the 160 decade (just barely and it's already improving) but 145 is my soft goal, and 137 is supposedly the highest weight I should be given my height and crap.        My happy phase in 2013 between June-August, (right after my first few NF challenges) was at 140 and happy as a clam.   I look at those pics and go 'YES, that's the me I want to recapture!'      

We got this girl, we got this!   You're gonna get those awesome jeans because DAYEM!  THEY ARE MEANT FOR THE AWESOME THAT IS YOU!

On 1/3/2018 at 4:11 PM, RogueLibrarian said:

I had so many of these feelings when I was buying that coat a few months ago.

o hi following

the struggle is so real, right?

I felt the same way when I bought my current motorcycle suit but it's not as form fitting so I just went ahead and pulled the trigger and absolutely don't regret it, though. 

On 1/3/2018 at 10:48 AM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Here's to all of the reboots and preparation for kicking ass!!

yes! here's to it!

On 1/3/2018 at 10:55 AM, Asa Pond said:

Here to support my back to basics team member!!! I feel you being on the "softer than would like" thing too. We got this!

we do! we have done it before, so no problems doing it again!

On 1/3/2018 at 1:29 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Those jeans might not be necessary but they do look good. :) 

esp when you find out that these ridic things are my motorcycle boots... 

icon_boot_elsinore_hp_black.jpg

On 1/3/2018 at 1:55 PM, dancezwithkittehz said:

Following as alwaaaaaaaaays! <3 <3 <3

yaaaaaaaaay!

On 1/3/2018 at 3:27 PM, Aminarra said:

You're doing so well!! Keep up the good work!

tenor.gif?itemid=4485040

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

giphy.gif

22 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Are you 5'5" ish? Because I am and was also down to 178lbs in 2015 which is either right at or just below overweight via BMI and kind of feel like you might be my body twin. Though my soft goal is like 160, hard goal is like 145 or 150. Was 135 in high school which was maybe a bit too thin.

I'm actually a giant, at 5'11". I'm really not sure what my weight *should* be but in 2015 I aimed for the top of my BMI, and then calculated what that was in lbs. I figured after that I'd dial it in a little... but then I didn't, I just ate a bunch more lolz. 

I wish I could remember my weight in high school! I remember very clearly weighing 115 lbs in 6th grade.... and then nothing after that. ugh. 

21 hours ago, tei_ said:

When I had a similar challenge re. stretching, I occasionally fulfilled the minimum requirements in bed.

Edit: This statement was unintentional but I like it so I'm leaving it.

lolz, yes. minimum requirements in bed shall be fulfilled.

• Like 3

day 3 end - I remembered to do my push-ups before getting into bed! I was grouchy about it tho'.... I was ready for BED. I onlyjust now finished logging my food for yesterday, though.

day .... 4?

today was a snow day. also, I'm pretty anxious about work, so I got up at 330 or something and started working. I'm exhausted by now! I didn't even get to shovel (we had about 4 inches) because I was working so hard and my husband went out and did it by himself. DARN IT I LOVE SHOVELING. poop. 

I DID do the yoga. today's theme was "stretch," and the slow stretching really makes it impossible to ignore the parts of my body that are so super tight. like, my hips, and in particular my right hip butt. That said... I feel like my shoulders are not as terrible as I have always assumed they were, which is a nice realization!

and also, that runners stretch thing?

Half+Splits.jpg

I've done it in a few other yoga classes and it always makes me so uncomfortable. I'm a little weird about kneeling after my 2 ACL surgeries and with my tight hamstrings the stretch is super uncomfortable. HOWEVER. adriene the yogi reminded me to make some room and not collapse towards the ground, and it made me feel SO MUCH BETTER about the stretch - more deliberate, in control, and less like I was about to injure myself grieviously. 

my husband got out the food processor and made devilled ham sandwiches for lunch from xmas ham leftovers which was so delicious (it's one of those weird foods that I love so much, and so rarely eat). I'd served it to him several years ago and this whole time he thought I'd made it from scratch, and not from a can! he did a really good job. I made scallopped potatoes with ham for dinner, and now we're out (the hambone and the last pieces of ham are in the freezer for future soup.

I am caught up on food logging for today, at least.

I'm still working on this work stuff that is making me strugglebus. but, that's a thing I'm ok with. IT IS MY LOT. (my lot as a procrastinator)

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, karinajean said:

Half+Splits.jpg

This is probably my favorite ever stretch. Do that and then gently rotate the hip of the extended leg in the socket... feels so good!

Also, if you like to shovel, you are welcome to come do my ridiculous, steep, twisty and long driveway any time you like. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, karinajean said:

I've done it in a few other yoga classes and it always makes me so uncomfortable. I'm a little weird about kneeling after my 2 ACL surgeries and with my tight hamstrings the stretch is super uncomfortable. HOWEVER. adriene the yogi reminded me to make some room and not collapse towards the ground, and it made me feel SO MUCH BETTER about the stretch - more deliberate, in control, and less like I was about to injure myself grieviously.

When my knee is bad and i do yoga i keep a rolled up towel or blanket nearby, that way when something is kneeling I can use the towel to sit on and it helps with that space. A towel or small cushion can also be used beneath the knees too for cushion.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, karinajean said:

day 3 end - I remembered to do my push-ups before getting into bed! I was grouchy about it tho'.... I was ready for BED. I onlyjust now finished logging my food for yesterday, though.

day .... 4?

today was a snow day. also, I'm pretty anxious about work, so I got up at 330 or something and started working. I'm exhausted by now! I didn't even get to shovel (we had about 4 inches) because I was working so hard and my husband went out and did it by himself. DARN IT I LOVE SHOVELING. poop. 

I DID do the yoga. today's theme was "stretch," and the slow stretching really makes it impossible to ignore the parts of my body that are so super tight. like, my hips, and in particular my right hip butt. That said... I feel like my shoulders are not as terrible as I have always assumed they were, which is a nice realization!

Half+Splits.jpg

OH OH ALSO for this one, I discovered that if you feel a weird tingling "plz stop" sensation with your foot flexed, it could actually be the nerve, not the muscle: http://www.cirquephysio.com/want-an-amazing-pike-you-better-start-flossingyour-nerves/

I was super confused for years why it felt so awful!

• Thanks 1

I've learned a whole lot about stretching from my kickboxing classes. For some reason I hate doing it unless someone is there telling me moment by moment what to do, even though I know how important it is. (Probably because when I'm tired after a workout I want to just BE DONE.) I think I need to just start being more in the moment and trying to appreciate it for its own sake.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tei_ said:

OH OH ALSO for this one, I discovered that if you feel a weird tingling "plz stop" sensation with your foot flexed, it could actually be the nerve, not the muscle: http://www.cirquephysio.com/want-an-amazing-pike-you-better-start-flossingyour-nerves/

There's a really good lecture/Q&A thingie on her FB page on that topic that she posted recently. Great stuff!

On 1/4/2018 at 8:40 PM, sylph said:

This is probably my favorite ever stretch. Do that and then gently rotate the hip of the extended leg in the socket... feels so good!

Also, if you like to shovel, you are welcome to come do my ridiculous, steep, twisty and long driveway any time you like. :)

oh my gosh I have felt so unstable in this stretch for so long!!!

we have a steep kinda long but not twisty driveway. but, we can usually get it shoveled in the same amount of time that it takes the guy across the street to snowblow his short, flat, not so long driveway so....

On 1/4/2018 at 9:48 PM, annyshay said:

Ooooh, that sounds good!

no it sounds TERRIBLE! lol

On 1/4/2018 at 10:04 PM, Toshimi said:

When my knee is bad and i do yoga i keep a rolled up towel or blanket nearby, that way when something is kneeling I can use the towel to sit on and it helps with that space. A towel or small cushion can also be used beneath the knees too for cushion.

On 1/5/2018 at 10:13 AM, raptron said:

Aw man, glad you got a good cue about that stretch. Hahah, deviled ham. Adorable. 

he is super adorable, and "bringing each other food or hot tea while we are both working at home" is our love language.

On 1/5/2018 at 10:19 AM, tei_ said:

On 1/5/2018 at 12:32 PM, Mad Hatter said:

There's a really good lecture/Q&A thingie on her FB page on that topic that she posted recently. Great stuff!

thanks! I'll take a look and find all these things!

On 1/5/2018 at 10:25 AM, RogueLibrarian said:

I've learned a whole lot about stretching from my kickboxing classes. For some reason I hate doing it unless someone is there telling me moment by moment what to do, even though I know how important it is. (Probably because when I'm tired after a workout I want to just BE DONE.) I think I need to just start being more in the moment and trying to appreciate it for its own sake.

for sure, one of the things I'm appreciative about this yoga challenge is that I am constrained by the duration of the class that SHE is providing. when I wake up and do yoga on my own, I will play all kinds of time games and choose shorter classes and forcing myself to clear the time to do these classes (tho they aren't very long) is really good for my brain.

there are a LOT of guided stretches thingys on youtube, I bet you could find a good one that will tell you what to do!

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, karinajean said:

he is super adorable, and "bringing each other food or hot tea while we are both working at home" is our love language.

That's really cute. :) 

• Like 3

Oh I might try that stretch today!    My poor hammies get soooo tight from a. sitting at work all day and at home when I chill vs b. Omg hockey skating tight, lifting madness.    That looks super neato.

I too like shoveling!   So long as it's not 10 degrees with a windchill below 0, lol.   We have beautiful weather here now!   Sunny and 32.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, raptron said:

I often identify with the animals whose potential mates court them with food, so I FEEL Y'ALL.

That totally works! My mate courted me tonight with a big ol’ plate of shrimp skewers and I was like “DAMN, don’t he look fine?”

Of course I had to narf a half pound of shrimp before I could pay any attention to him, but that’s just good manners. And by the way, is there any more??

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

WAAAH it's week 2 day 2, right?

I have a little catching up to do.

week 1 day 5 - friday - into the office. I ended up staying really kinda late. I did the yoga in the morning. I did the push-ups in the evening - before I even got into bed! I also had a great japanese lunch with my work buddy, and their daily lunch special was RAMEN so delicious. (this japanese restaurant is AMAZING at lunch, they have a daily special that changes, and is a less "american-japanese" offering than a lot of other stuff on their menu.) ALSO I worked super late, and didn't get home until 10PM or some junk.

week 1 day 6 - sat. - DOJO SAT. I had a good breakfast of leftover scalloped potatoes + ham with eggs on top and went to the dojo. I did a million push-ups there: though not tremendous good form, I count them against my goal. then, I rushed home, showered up, we had quick lunch of more scalloped potatoes with eggs on top, and we drove Eighteen's mostly-repaired giant diesel truck 4 1/2 hours out to western PA to swap back for my husband's tiny, little, reliable compact car. We had a really nice dinner with Eighteen, did a 0degF walmart parking lot fuse box repair on the truck, and headed home. we got back at 2AM. SO TIRED.

week 1 day 7 - sun. - my dad's been in the hospital all week for some diagnostics so I went up and visited him on sunday afternoon after working all morning on some work deadline stuff. UGH PUKE. so, I drove up to visit (it's 1 1/2 hours) and spent a nice 2 hours visiting before driving home via the farm to pick up more milk. and then we had dinner which was really just more scalloped potatoes with eggs on top again. EXCEPT WE RAN OUT OF EGGS, which was hilarious because my husband always teases me for stocking way more eggs than he thinks we need and LOOK, IT HAPPENED, JUST LIKE I WAS WORRIED ABOUT, WE RAN OUT OF EGGS.

also, I have this new instapot, and I experimented with beef stroganoff for lunch. my husband really liked it. I think it's a nice easy "fast food" dinner at home. nooooot particularly healthy tho. this calls for being eaten on a bed of baby spinach or arugula.

I did NOT do the yoga, I did NOT do any push-ups. ugh.

Week 2!

day 1 - monday - I got up and did yoga! I doubled up, because I was behind from sunday, and as I was finishing I thought: self, don't double up again. it's more important that you do this every day, not that you get 30 sessions done in 30 days. I didn't do any push-ups. I had a pretty hectic work day and a grocery store trip right after work BECAUSE WE ARE OUT OF EGGS (and other things, we haven't been shopping since 12/31). Fourteen and I had to run around to rescue my husband who left his car keys at work (he rides a train), and we had tacos for dinner.

day 2 - tuesday - yoga again in the morning! tkd, so I got my push-ups in there. also for dinner we made jook in the instapot, and it was delcious. https://www.budgetbytes.com/2016/03/instant-pot-congee-jook/ 

also food related - I've been making yogurt in the instapot - we get our milk from a local farm and I normally try to make yogurt - so much less waste, less expensive (1/2 a gallon of milk from the farmer is $2.50, and that quantity of organic whole fat yogurt in the store is, like, $10). BUT my old yogurt maker was fiddly and annoying and tiny. with the instapot I can make 7-8 cups of yogurt in one go and it is AMAZING and we have been eating yogurt every morning.

(so far I like this yogurt recipe best: http://www.teamyogurt.com/posts/2016/3/30/making-yogurt-in-an-instant-pot-is-it-worth-it)

that said, a cup of yogurt with some jam in it is NOT as calorie dense as I need my breakfasts, so this morning I also added toast w peanut butter. yesterday I was on a conference call in the afternoon after having eaten yogurt for breafkast, a tiny bit of leftover taco meat and shreded cheese over lettuce for lunch, and I noticed I was starving! so I ended up eating my emergency canned smoked trout that I keep in my desk while I was talking to these people. 

day 3 - I did NOT get up and do the yoga things. UGH. I need to do them later today, either at lunch, or after work at home. I'm looking forward to leftover jook for lunch!

and that's all I got!

On 1/8/2018 at 9:10 AM, Mad Hatter said:

That's really cute. :) 

On 1/8/2018 at 5:22 PM, raptron said:

I often identify with the animals whose potential mates court them with food, so I FEEL Y'ALL.

y'all will like this: we met on a very popular internet dating website and had our first date at ikea (coffee and furniture shopping, what could go wrong?). he brought homemade chocolate chip cookies - he felt that if the date went well, he'd share with me, and if it went poorly, he'd have some consolation for the trip home. we ended up closing down the ikea and sitting in the parking structure on the tail of his pick-up eating cookies. it was a good first date. 

On 1/8/2018 at 12:05 PM, Starpuck said:

Oh I might try that stretch today!    My poor hammies get soooo tight from a. sitting at work all day and at home when I chill vs b. Omg hockey skating tight, lifting madness.    That looks super neato.

I too like shoveling!   So long as it's not 10 degrees with a windchill below 0, lol.   We have beautiful weather here now!   Sunny and 32.  

I am learning that hamstring problems are kind of a big deal, esp for those of us with mostly sitting lifestyles! 

we are in a heat wave this week - upper 30s / low 40s. it's amazing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, karinajean said:

y'all will like this: we met on a very popular internet dating website and had our first date at ikea (coffee and furniture shopping, what could go wrong?). he brought homemade chocolate chip cookies - he felt that if the date went well, he'd share with me, and if it went poorly, he'd have some consolation for the trip home. we ended up closing down the ikea and sitting in the parking structure on the tail of his pick-up eating cookies. it was a good first date. 

Omg, the cutest.

ALSO - do you like the instant pot (instapot? Instantpot? whatever)? We are considering getting one and trying to debate usefulness vs wantfulness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asa Pond said:

ALSO - do you like the instant pot (instapot? Instantpot? whatever)? We are considering getting one and trying to debate usefulness vs wantfulness.

I haven't had it for a long time, but I think if you eat a lot of yogurt, and you get it on sale, it will pay for itself. (I think we paid $75 for ours, and I've already "saved" about $15 on yogurt -- with just 2 batches! so with 8 more batches, I'll be even.) I wanted to put away / get rid of my yogurt maker and my slow cooker - I work so far away from my house that I can't use the slow cooker during the week at ALL - the recipes are all for 4 or 6 hours and am away from the house for 11 hours, easy.

Things I like about the Electric Pressure Cooker (instapot!):

* cooks pretty quickly

* yogurt

* hardboiled eggs. oh, also softboiled eggs.

* dried beans to beans - though I haven't tried this yet, the internet feels it's amazing.

* a LOT of recipes on-line to look through.

* you put your food in it and walk away, pretty generally, so you can do other things while dinner's cooking.

Things that are important to consider:

* you can't fiddle with the recipe while you're cooking, which is REALLY WEIRD for me - a known Recipe Fiddler. like, I never follow recipes. I read 5 of them, and make what I think they are saying to make.

* it takes longer to cook than you think. you have to check the recipe for both cooking time, and also how long it takes for the pressure to release. If you're doing that naturally (i.e., not the quick release) it could take another 20-40 minutes.

* pressure cookers are inherantly scary! if you make something foamy (rice, beans, oats) you HAVE to let it naturally depressurize or it will foam up and go into the release valve and I don't think it's cleanable on the instapot, I think you'd then have to buy a new lid.

** related to this^ I really think I should be able to make steel cut oats quickly but I'm so nervous to do it. 

* while there's millions of them, all the recipes are FROM THE INTERNET so they are not really all my style. it takes a little noodling to find the ones you want and to figure out how you can gently tweak it to be the kind of food YOU will love.

* it's definately a counter appliance. It's only about 1ftx1ftx1ft, but it is weirdly shaped and knobby and has a big cord. So, if you have a tiny kitchen, that's something to consider. I wouldn't have gotten it if I couldn't have moved 2 other appliances out of my kitchen.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, karinajean said:

I haven't had it for a long time, but I think if you eat a lot of yogurt, and you get it on sale, it will pay for itself. (I think we paid $75 for ours, and I've already "saved" about $15 on yogurt -- with just 2 batches! so with 8 more batches, I'll be even.) I wanted to put away / get rid of my yogurt maker and my slow cooker - I work so far away from my house that I can't use the slow cooker during the week at ALL - the recipes are all for 4 or 6 hours and am away from the house for 11 hours, easy.

Things I like about the Electric Pressure Cooker (instapot!):

* cooks pretty quickly

* yogurt

* hardboiled eggs. oh, also softboiled eggs.

* dried beans to beans - though I haven't tried this yet, the internet feels it's amazing.

* a LOT of recipes on-line to look through.

* you put your food in it and walk away, pretty generally, so you can do other things while dinner's cooking.

Things that are important to consider:

* you can't fiddle with the recipe while you're cooking, which is REALLY WEIRD for me - a known Recipe Fiddler. like, I never follow recipes. I read 5 of them, and make what I think they are saying to make.

* it takes longer to cook than you think. you have to check the recipe for both cooking time, and also how long it takes for the pressure to release. If you're doing that naturally (i.e., not the quick release) it could take another 20-40 minutes.

* pressure cookers are inherantly scary! if you make something foamy (rice, beans, oats) you HAVE to let it naturally depressurize or it will foam up and go into the release valve and I don't think it's cleanable on the instapot, I think you'd then have to buy a new lid.

** related to this^ I really think I should be able to make steel cut oats quickly but I'm so nervous to do it. 

* while there's millions of them, all the recipes are FROM THE INTERNET so they are not really all my style. it takes a little noodling to find the ones you want and to figure out how you can gently tweak it to be the kind of food YOU will love.

* it's definately a counter appliance. It's only about 1ftx1ftx1ft, but it is weirdly shaped and knobby and has a big cord. So, if you have a tiny kitchen, that's something to consider. I wouldn't have gotten it if I couldn't have moved 2 other appliances out of my kitchen.

There are some slow cooker recipes that although they say to cook for shorter times, can take the extra time, I've done slow cooker spaghetti sauce and let it cook for about 10 hours over night. You just have to be careful the protein types and what else is in there. 

I used to use my Instapot all the time. Haven't as much lately because where it's stored in the kitchen I just tend to forget about it. 

Spaghetti squash, Highly recommend pressure cooking. takes 10-15 mins depending on the size. 

I to am a fiddler, so the set and go thing took some getting used to. 

I have always been happy with Nom Nom Paleo 's insta pot recipes. http://nomnompaleo.com/post/125878339293/my-top-paleo-pressure-cookerinstant-pot-recipes

I know she has more around the site, but that's a good place to start, I've done the short ribs, squash, and Mexican Beef stew. Plannin gon trying the chicken pho in the next week or two. One thing I like about her recipes is a lot of it she also has non pressure cooker versions, so you can play with them when  you have the time to do a full cook. tweak what is needed then use the pressure cooker

• Like 2

Omg that date!   You guys are so adorbz.   For reals.

Super busy days for you as always, holy moly.    Yeah we have heat wave too.  By heat wave, I mean it is 55 degrees right now and pouring rain!   That's going to make our next day of 16 feel outright unbearable again ... sigh.

Hamstrings...ugh.  I really foresee a mobility focused challenge coming up one of these days.    I mean- last night, I danced for an hour, crunking like a fool... then pulled my whole right side of my back sitting on my chair and reaching for my drink while playing a video game.   >.<

• Like 1