Shotokan

swing-away-merrill.jpg

There ain't no swing dancing going on this time! These swings are all about the kettlebell.  Looking to improve on the gains I made over the last challenge, this time around the focus shifts to more kettlebell work and side thrust kicks.

1. Consistent kettlebell training - 5 times a week

I had a lot of routines over the years but either I get bored to easily or I loose my motivation to easily. With that said, this time around I want to get in at least 5 kettlebell workouts a week. I have to do at least two set for it to be considered a workout with all five exercises in circuit form.

2. Focus on side thrust kicks - 5 kicks each leg 7 days a week

I am aiming the bar pretty high doing kicks every day of the week but if I want to keep the momentum that I gained over the last few challenges, it's time to step it up a notch.

3. Mobility or flexibility work - 5 times a week

I started doing some mobility work at my office each day and it seems to be helping my hips.  I have also been doing hip flexor work along with my kicks in between my kettlebell sets so this shouldn't be too hard to reach.

Extra credit - Publish at least one blog post each week

I have been behind in my writing and if I ever plan on doing it for a living, I need to write a lot. The posts need to be at least 300 words and useful to be considered a win.

Doug

In search of the ever elusive side thrust kick....

Student of Karate and Iaido

I have a habit of working out on New Years Eve since I was about 16 years old and this past year was no different.

I used the 35 pound kettlebell for swings, squats and side bends and the 25 pounder for curls and presses.  I tried the 35 for the curls and presses but the presses bothered my elbow for some reason so I am going to up the reps and keep the weight the same.  The 35 is feeling easy for the swings and squats so the 44 pounder might get dusted off sooner than I thought.

Last workout of 2017

12 kettlebell swings, 3 goblet squats and curls with press for each arm along with 6 side bends left and right

Hip flexor stretch right

12 kettlebell swings, 3 goblet squats and curls with press for each arm along with 6 side bends left and right

Hip flexor stretch left

5 side thrust kicks left and right

A few katas to finished up the workout and then eating too much food ended the year.

Doug

First workout of 2017:

I started out with six katas for my warm up. They felt pretty good overall and my stances are coming along nicely.

After that came the kettlebell work:

Hip flexor stretch right

Hip flexor stretch left

Ab wheel for 10 reps - I found that if I keep my lats tight while doing these, they really hit the abs hard with less stress on the shoulders.

Some katas finished up the day and the new year workouts have begun!

I did get some writing in too and I am not far from publishing a blog post.

• Like 1

Doug

Today's workout was some kata and kicks.

I started with five katas to get the blood flowing and then some side thrust kicks for five with each leg.

I also did my mobility drill at work again.

Some writing will finish up the day.

Doug

Just as I hit submit last night, the site went down for maintenance but luckily for me, it saved my draft.

Back to kettlebells today.  Even though I woke up with a headache today, which got progressively worse as work went on, I told myself that I had to train tonight.  The kettlebells felt codl and heavy but they warmed up as the workout went on.

I have been doing some extra mobility drills for my hips before grabbing the kettlebells.  Some high knees, shuffling side leg raises and some back leg raises along with some upper body moves.  I upped the kicks by one today and ended up doing a few more afterward to see if I am progressing and I am.  I had the Typhoon record a few from each leg and they are getting higher and my form is still improving so I am pretty happy.

Hip flexor stretch right

Hip flexor stretch left

6 side thrust kicks left and right

6 side thrust kicks left and right

Only six ab wheel roll outs today because they were bothering my headache a bit.

I think the squats are going to have to go up in reps too.

After that came a couple katas and it was over.  Oddly enough, after the kettlebell work my neck cracked an my headache is pretty much gone as I am typing this now. 

Some writing will finish up the day again and hopefully my first blog post of year will be ready.

• Like 2

Doug

Today, I was a little lazy and only planned on doing two sets of kettlebell work but with extra reps. It turned in three sets and some good kata work after. 

It started with some dynamic leg work moving forward with high knees, side leg raises, back leg raises, inside out  and outside in leg raises.

15 kettlebell swings, 5 goblet squats and 8 curls with press for each arm along with 8 side bends left and right

Hip flexor stretch right and 5 side thrust kicks right

15 kettlebell swings, 5 goblet squats and 8 curls with press for each arm along with 8 side bends left and right

Hip flexor stretch left and 5 side thrust kicks left

The extra two reps for curls and presses were kinda tough but the extra reps for the swings and squats were easy.

A couple of good feeling katas finished it up.

I published a blog post today too so it was a pretty good day overall.

Doug

Well, at least the headache was a tension thing and not a systemic thing. Systemic things are worse and also scary because they don't go away when you tell them to. Reading it, it kind of sounds like the training helped, and I'm glad to see that happened for you.

Anyway, it looks like week 1 wrapped up good and strong for you. All the training also managing to get the writing done. That's what I like to see. :)

• Like 1

After teaching Karate this morning for a couple hours, I was going to call that my workout but the Typhon wanted to workout and I couldn't tell her no.  

The kettlebells were swinging again but they felt a little heavy today.  I am not sure if it is from lack of sleep or being out in the cold for a couple hours today but either way, I pushed through and got in a good workout.

Hip flexor stretch right and 6 side thrust kicks right

Hip flexor stretch left and 6 side thrust kicks left

6 side thrust kicks both left and right

A couple of katas finished it up.

• Like 2

Doug

Sunday was not much of a workout except for climbing up and down a ladder in cold and icey weather.  Kata and side thrust kicks were the them for the day.

Today's workout was more like it. Not a lot of sleep last night and the weather bothering my left leg almost made skip today but a skipped day is one that can never be done a again.

Hip flexor stretch right and 8 side thrust kicks right

Hip flexor stretch left and 8 side thrust kicks left

The kicks are feeling better each day but the kettlebell curls and presses felt heavy today for some reason.

I ended up doing some foam roller work to try and get my leg feeling better and I think it helped.  I have a knot on my left glute and I think it is turning my leg out when I am walking and causing the pain.  It's not a bad pain and it didn't impact my workout but I want it to be better for my first day back in formal Karate class after six months.  Thanks to my parents for the generous Christmas gift so that both the Typhoon and I can train this session. 

• Like 2

Doug

That's the trick about daily practice - you really have to be in-tune with your body and acknowledge that it's not always going to give you the performance you're looking for. Taking what you can get may not feel good on an emotional level, but the body definitely works with and responds to that kind of thing as long as you're respectful.

• Like 1

Well, this week didn't turn out as planned.  I found the reason why the kettlebells felt heavy on Monday.  It seems that it was the beginning of a really nasty stomach bug that knocked me off my feet since Tuesday night.  Pain and cramps was the norm from then until this morning.  I ended up taking off of work yesterday, which I hardly ever do and I spent almost 30 hours in bed.  I didn't from Tuesday morning until just a few hours ago and that was only an English muffin.  I didn't do any form of workout, not even kata where I haven't missed a day in years.

I am feeling better but not well enough to workout so maybe a kata or two will be it for today.  The part that bugs me the most is I missed my Karate class on Tuesday.:mad-new:

• Sad 1

Doug

Well, that sucks, sir. :(

Still, that's not your fault. You got sick. You didn't skip out because you wanted to, you skipped out because your body wouldn't let you. The Lifter's Wisdom that you shouldn't train on a sick stomach is good and applies for a reason.

You just focus on gentle movement for a while and get your body back in order. Put in your time. Don't skip it. You'll come out just fine on the other side.

• Like 1

I am pretty much back to normal although I haven't done a normal workout since last Monday.  Today was planned day to start again but a messed up sewer pipe at home felt that I would get a better workout spending 3 hours in a 3.5 foot crawlspace under my house on my knees sitting in seiza the whole time.  I always said that Martial Arts training applies to real life and being in seiza for so long and still being able to walk afterward proves that it works.

• Like 1

Doug

Finally! Today was my first day back with the kettlebell and what a wonderful feeling it is.....

The last few days didn't go as planned.  Late nights at work made me miss Karate class and my yesterday workout was squashed with being too tired to train after work. I did get in katas every day but nothing else.

Today started with an old mobility warm up and then it was time to enter the kettlebell.

15 kettlebell swings, 5 goblet squats with 35lbs and 8 curls with press for each arm with 25 lbs along with 8 side bends left and right with 35 lbs

Hip flexor stretch right and 6 side thrust kicks right

15 kettlebell swings, 5 goblet squats with 35lbs and 8 curls with press for each arm with 25 lbs along with 8 side bends left and right with 35 lbs

Hip flexor stretch left and 6 side thrust kicks left

A couple of katas, which felt really good and the mobility warm up as a cool down.

It felt good to be working out again.  The swings and squats felt light but the curls felt a little heavy.  I was moving some heavy boxes at work the last few days so maybe that and all the hours a work have me a little tired out.

• Like 2

Doug

Today was a good workout day. The last two weren't but today was.

15 kettlebell swings, 6 goblet squats with 35lbs and 8 curls with press for each arm with 25 lbs along with 10 side bends left and right with 35 lbs

Hip flexor stretch right and 10 side thrust kicks right

15 kettlebell swings, 6 goblet squats with 35lbs and 8 curls with press for each arm with 25 lbs along with 10 side bends left and right with 35 lbs

Hip flexor stretch left and 10 side thrust kicks left

Katas and some single leg kettlebell walks finished it up.

• Like 2

Doug

Yesterday was a late day at work again but I still got in a workout.

I did some v-sits for 45 seconds or so and some kata finished it up.

Today was even better. First time back in a formal Karate class after at least six months.  It felt good to be back on a dojo floor training again.  I was shocked at how much the kettlebell workouts impacted my Karate training.  It was a tough class, with non stop moving and I was able to get through it without getting winded or tired and I was able to walk out without making old man noises or pain all over my body. 

• Like 1

Doug

8 hours ago, Shotokan said:

Yesterday was a late day at work again but I still got in a workout.

I did some v-sits for 45 seconds or so and some kata finished it up.

Today was even better. First time back in a formal Karate class after at least six months.  It felt good to be back on a dojo floor training again.  I was shocked at how much the kettlebell workouts impacted my Karate training.  It was a tough class, with non stop moving and I was able to get through it without getting winded or tired and I was able to walk out without making old man noises or pain all over my body. 

Right? There's a reason I tend to swear so much by kettlebell training these days. I'm particularly in love with Pavel's hardstyle work since it was apparently influenced by a lot of karate ideas. So, they just seem to gel.

But yeah, man, that's awesome that you hit the mats stronger than before! That's the whole friggin' point!

• Like 1

Only a light kata workout on Wednesday because I went to the chiropractor and had some issues with my neck and lower back.

Today was back in the thick of it using the big kettlebell  for the first time.

I started with the lying hip warm up along with some dynamic half kneeling adductor movements on each leg.

10 kettlebell swings, 3 goblet squats with 44lbs and 8 curls with press for each arm with 25 lbs

10 kettlebell swings, 3 goblet squats with 44lbs and 8 curls with press for each arm with 25 lbs

8 ab wheel rollouts 

I left the side bends thinking that they might be what is bothering my lower back.  I might add them back with the lighter kettlebell after a couple workouts.

The swings with the 44 felt almost light but the squats felt a little tough. I wasn't able to do down as far using the heavier kettlebell.

A couple of katas finished it up

• Like 1

Doug

Friday was kata only day and only a couple.

Saturday's workout was teaching four hours of Karate.  I get a pretty good workout warming up the class and demonstrating along with work on some self defense moves with my students.  Other than that, a couple katas will finish up the day. 

• Like 1

Doug

Time with the kettlebells again today.

12 kettlebell swings, 4 goblet squats with 44lbs and 8 curls with press for each arm with 25 lbs

12 kettlebell swings, 4 goblet squats with 44lbs and 8 curls with press for each arm with 25 lbs

8 ab wheel rollouts 

I went to Play It Again Sports today to look for a heavier kettlebell and they wanted $94 for a 62 pound bell.  They sell all used sport equipment but their prices aren't used at all.  I ended up getting a new 60lb kettlebell with free two day shipping from Amazon for $65.  I always like to have a heavier kettlebell on hand for when the others get too light and I think this new one might gather a little dust before I need it. Jumping from the 44 to 60 is going to be pretty tough but at least I will have it when the time is right.

I finished up with some band work and katas.  The katas felt pretty good overall again and my stances were really low even though I was still sore from class yesterday. 

• Like 1

Doug

Welcome to heavier weight! That's totally exciting news. :)

Your back troubles kind of remind me of my back troubles. I love to do core work, but my spine is very selective about what kinds of exercise it's willing to tolerate. I thought for a while it was a problem, but after reading some more Pavel (specifically Hardstyle Abs), I learned that some spines are not really flexion tolerant, and I think mine might be one of 'em. Side flexion is definitely still flexion, and it could be that you have the same issue as well.

The good news is, if you want to keep doing oblique work there's a ton of different options. One-handed swings, suitcase carries, side planks all come to mind. Pavel's a fervent believer in the Full Contact Twist, specifically for combat athletes, but it's a movement that does require a barbell to do, which may not be conducive to your set up at this time.

Myself, I'm veering back toward Side Lever work, which will mean lots of Russian Twisting and Side Planking in my future. But not to make this comment about me; just to point out that I deal with similar issues and to present some options that may be suitable for you going forward.

• Like 2

You might be on to something Kishi!  When I was younger, I used to do barbell twists at the end of my workouts and my back never complained.  I didn't use a heavy bar, maybe 10 pounds or so, but my back was pretty much bulletproof no matter what stupid things I did back then.  Pavel's twist is different than what I used to do but I have a landmine and an Olympic bar.  I guess I could start with an empty bar and go up from there.

Thanks for good advice!

• Like 1

Doug