• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CuriousCat

Curious Cat Chronicles: Episode I

While not new to Nerd Fitness, I haven't successfully completed a NF challenge - so this seemed the right place for me!

Introducing myself -

G'day. I'm Cat and I hail from Sydney, Australia. I've lurked around NF on and off for the last couple of years, but am new to the challenge formats. I'm hoping to find the support and comradery I need to take the next step in my fitness journey...

About me. I'm a twenty-nine year old who likes to geek out in a variety of ways. From medieval in the SCA, gaming of all sorts, playing music, writing, fandom... it just made sense that health and fitness should be another! It's not one without some hurdles. I have POTS & complex dysautonomia, which means that often my body is fighting against me - but I have discovered that exercise, especially strength training, is capable of making bigger & better improvements on that front than any medication. 

Plus I discovered that strength training is an awful lot of fun.

So that brings me to this challenge. Last year, as well as fighting the dysautonomia, my focus was weight loss. I lost 12kg/26lb, to hit my goal weight of 60kg/132lb late in the year. While weight loss mostly happens in the kitchen, it was discovering strength training in the second half of the year that has had the biggest change on my body. And that was while eating at a deficit.

So! The Big Quest is to see just what this body is capable of. I refuse to let my illness hold me back. 

I will be starting my challenge from the 3rd of January, and it is as follows:

1. Reverse diet up to sustainable, maintenance macros - and hit them consistently.

For the last bit of weight loss, I was eating ~1400 calories, aiming for 125P 77F & 55C. I intend to increase that by ~100cal a week, to be evaluated & reset each Wednesday based on scale weight, symptoms & energy levels. 

A day will be considered a success if it is +/-5% of calorie goal, a minimum of 120g protein, and no more than 20% carbs. I am challenging myself to hit this 5/7 days, but for the sake of clean data, I will do my best to stay within 10% at all times.

Goal 24+

2. To supplement strength gains and increase tolerance to tachycardia, add cardio back to the routine.

While the addition of strength training to my healthstyle has had massive net improvements, it has come at the cost of any cardio training, and my cardio fitness has decreased as a result. I am challenging myself to add 3x Cardio sessions to my week. 

Cardio sessions can be picked from Rapier training, Zombie Run sessions, Crossfit sessions, or at a pinch, a Nike Training Club session (minimum 20 minutes). 

BONUS GOAL: Run 5km without stopping.

Goal 14+

3. Hydration, hydration, hydration.

To keep my blood volume up in all the right places, it's crucial to keep my fluid intake as high as possible. This is a routine I've fallen out of, and need to get back to. I will track my fluid intake daily, and will hit 3+L 6 out of 7 days, and hit 4+L on any hot outdoor day. 

Goal 28+

BONUS QUEST Ring a Ring a Rosy!

With gymnastic rings in the garage, and the NF Rings Program at my disposal, I will give myself 1 bonus point for any Rings Workout per week completed during this challenge period.

• Like 1

Congrats on the weight loss! I had to look up your 'hurdles' as you put it, that has to be challenging to work with to reach those goals! 

Despite best intentions, Day 1 was a rest day. A cluster headache, a major tachycardia episode, a minor seizure - I can take a hint, and didn't push this front. But I foam rolled, and I upped my drugs & supps - hopefully the body will be kinder tomorrow.

Nutrition & hydration were on point though.  

3.18L intake. Mostly tea! Day 1 success.

Calories: 1495/1500 with macro success.  Pretty darn happy with that. 

d1.thumb.png.714b32fc99b9865450a89c67f02d339e.png

On 1/2/2018 at 12:44 AM, CuriousCat said:

BONUS QUEST Ring a Ring a Rosy!

With gymnastic rings in the garage, and the NF Rings Program at my disposal, I will give myself 1 bonus point for any Rings Workout per week completed during this challenge period.

Very interested in your bonus quest. I have been eyeing NF Rings for a while, but haven't heard anyone say how they like it yet.