• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jonfirestar

JonFirestar Gets the Ball Rolling

Jon Firestar Gets The Ball Rolling

2017 was a big year for me. It was a year of firsts and a year that I discovered a love of running and OCR. I ran a slew of races and had a lot of fun. I met up with seveal nerds and ran races with @charlie_quinn, @iatetheyeti and @jarric and met @rhovenal (but she was injured and missed the race :( )

Unfortunately I did push a little too hard at the end of the year and kind of checked out over Christmas. I got sick and it took a long time to kick it and between time I was travelling for Christmas and the New Year.

There isn’t really a theme for this challenge. I just want to get something down and get my momentum back!  So I’m keeping things simple and concise.

2018 is going to be a bigger year! It’s going to be a year of adventure and awesomeness.

I have a mass of events coming up this year. Many of them will be meetup events with other awesome nerds. I cannot wait for things to get started so I’m declaring the start of the 2018 hype!

To get the ball rolling the first race will be the Nuts Challenge, one of the UKs toughest winter OCRs that I’ll be running with the awesome @charlie_quinn and @jarric. This’ll be our second race together and I’m really looking forward to seeing them again.

The training for the massive year starts now!

Run All the Miles!

This is going to be a big running year for me. I’ve signed up to my first marathon in July! So that’s a thing on the horizon that needs to be trained for. In the lead up I’ve got a bunch of other races. Including a half marathon and a 20 mile OCR in May.

My overall plan is to periodise the training between challenge blocks. This coming challenge is going to be an easy one. Just run 3 times per week slowly ramping up my miles and the quality runs during the period.

Lift All the Things!

To counter the easy runs my lifting is on the opposite end of the spectrum. I’m going to be lifting heavy with a focus power and strength gains. This will be phased into more bodyweight style of workouts as the OCR season begins but for the next two months we are looking at lifting lots of weights.

Don’t Eat all the Things!

In 2018 I’m determined to get myself under 200 lbs. I am currently sat stubbornly at 220lbs (10kg and 15 stone 10 lbs). To put things in perspective. About 18 months ago I weighed 330lbs. In 2016 I lost 80lbs but in 2017 I only lost 30. There are reasons for that but mainly it’s because I was unable to stick to my calorie restrictions. I'm going to try and take things a little easier this year by setting higher calorie targets and not try and put myself into a harsh deficit. I do a  lot of activity so my numbers are going to be really high ;)  I’m going to begin this year with a calorie goal of 2700-2800 calories and see where things go from there.

I’ll post workout plans later.

• Like 15

Following, of course! 

53 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

My overall plan is to periodise the training between challenge blocks. This coming challenge is going to be an easy one. Just run 3 times per week slowly ramping up my miles and the quality runs during the period.

You're putting a lot more thought into this than I am. I don't know how to cram marathon training into a full race schedule so, as always, I'm completely winging it. :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

You're putting a lot more thought into this than I am. I don't know how to cram marathon training into a full race schedule so, as always, I'm completely winging it. :D

Oh I'm completely winging it. I've got no idea how to make this thing work so I'm just doing what seems right :D I know that most of my races are going to be taken as extended training runs with a couple where I plan to go hard on. Although I do sort of feel like doing Nuts as fast as possible would be a good idea. I've finally signed up to it btw so see you there! It's only 8 weeks away. It's a little terrifying. 

I need to start looking for a wetsuit! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stribs said:

Looks solid!  Following!

Hi good to have you along! 

8 minutes ago, Big_Show said:

A summer marathon? Don't forget the sunscreen!

Yep a summer trail marathon in the Lake District along with @Charlie_Quinn. Go big or go home right? :P I'm required to carry a pack anyway and sunscreen is on my gear list. I just hope I can rely on the British Summer not to be too hot! 

• Like 2

Here to be inspired to be a better person! A marathon in the Lakes sounds wonderful actually, maybe i can do it one day, with you and CQ :)

Hope you feel good and are ready :D x

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Oh I'm completely winging it. I've got no idea how to make this thing work so I'm just doing what seems right :D I know that most of my races are going to be taken as extended training runs with a couple where I plan to go hard on. Although I do sort of feel like doing Nuts as fast as possible would be a good idea. I've finally signed up to it btw so see you there! It's only 8 weeks away. It's a little terrifying. 

I need to start looking for a wetsuit! 

That's how I'm treating most of my running races up until RRDW. When I was building up my mileage for RRDW last year, I was able to do 3-4 runs a week and slowly build up to 15 miles. So I just need to do that again, but keep going past 15 miles this time!

I'm just trying not to think about Nuts right now! Keep an eye on the Mudstacle posts, last year they did a Mudstacle wave before all the scheduled waves. You could transfer into the wave on the day and it meant you get to drun a "fresh" course, before it gets all chewed up and boggy.

I ordered a wetsuit yesterday. I hope it fits, the sizing of wetsuits is weird.

26 minutes ago, Big_Show said:

A summer marathon? Don't forget the sunscreen!

I think "summer" is non existent in the Lake District! I'm hoping so anyway, I'd rather run in the rain that the blistering hot sun.

• Like 5

Glad to see ya brother!! I know the calorie restrictions are tough but you’ll get the hang of it this time around. We all want to see you succeed :)

Wolf

"Maximum Effort!"

• Like 1

Following! I may not appreciate running, but I get a perverse pleasure from hearing about other people doing it

You got this!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Here for all the inspiration and awesomeness that is Jon!

Thanks! I'm struggling for inspiration myself right now but I hope that we can find some together!

3 hours ago, Salinger said:

Here to be inspired to be a better person! A marathon in the Lakes sounds wonderful actually, maybe i can do it one day, with you and CQ :)

Thanks. It's not something I ever try to do just two years ago. I'm really excited to give it a go. The gorgeous location helps! Maybe  one day. I keep telling you that I'll get you out for a race sooner or later :D 

3 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

That's how I'm treating most of my running races up until RRDW. When I was building up my mileage for RRDW last year, I was able to do 3-4 runs a week and slowly build up to 15 miles. So I just need to do that again, but keep going past 15 miles this time!

I'm just trying not to think about Nuts right now! Keep an eye on the Mudstacle posts, last year they did a Mudstacle wave before all the scheduled waves. You could transfer into the wave on the day and it meant you get to drun a "fresh" course, before it gets all chewed up and boggy.

Yeah. I really want to try and get sub 2 hour at Reading and that is going to take some running. Other than that I'm not that fussed. I'm going to run with Birthday boy at Nuts, and @Rhovaniel at Tough Mudder.

I'm not really sure about the first Spartan. Part of me wants to try and bust out a good time but, and I might be wrong about this,  I think you(and Stu), @iatetheyeti@Big_Show and I have all signed up to it so there is a question of whether or not we should be making a team for it.

But RRDW is really the first thing I'm really going to focus on but even that is a training bump towards the marathon and the marathon I'm more worried about finishing the thing than I am about how fast I do it. I actually have no concept of what kind of time I want to get for it. I just want to finish. 

2 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Following. That's so many miles you've got coming up!

Barring injury, I'm calling more than 1000 miles for 2018 :D 

2 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

Glad to see ya brother!! I know the calorie restrictions are tough but you’ll get the hang of it this time around. We all want to see you succeed :)

Hay Wolfie. Thanks. I just need to figure something that works better. I really think I was just cutting too harshly. 

2 hours ago, Knightwatch said:

Ultimate weight goal for the year looks pretty close to mine.  We'll keep one another on track.  You got this!

I could use all the accountability I can get right now! 

2 hours ago, Fonzico said:

Following! I may not appreciate running, but I get a perverse pleasure from hearing about other people doing it emoji14.png

That's fair :) I hope to have plenty of running talk to go round. I've been really shockingly bad at it the last couple of weeks. I was really sick for most of it but just lazy for the rest. 

2 hours ago, bker1370 said:

Following along.  Good to see you Jon

It's great to have you back along Bker! 

7 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along again!

It's good to have you here Tank! 

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Thanks. It's not something I ever try to do just two years ago. I'm really excited to give it a go. The gorgeous location helps! Maybe  one day. I keep telling you that I'll get you out for a race sooner or later :D 

hahah well, that keeps me motivated, and i owe a lot to you for that :) so thanks!! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Salinger said:

hahah well, that keeps me motivated, and i owe a lot to you for that :) so thanks!! 

Wow my lack of sleep really showed in that sentence :) I mean yes. Two years ago I never believed I'd even think about running a marathon. It was an impossible goal. Now I I'm excited to tackle it and i have no doubt that I can do it. There is no reason you cannot get there too. 

2 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Nothing wrong with having a little off season. It looks like you’re going to come back stronger.

Well that's the plan!

• Like 4

you sound so much better Jon

I 've been offline for a good while.  ( my daughter from college is HOME and has taken over the PC )...

but apparently you feel Much better.  how long did the cold last?

Holidays are an awful time to have a cold or flu...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TGP said:

you sound so much better Jon

I 've been offline for a good while.  ( my daughter from college is HOME and has taken over the PC )...

but apparently you feel Much better.  how long did the cold last?

Holidays are an awful time to have a cold or flu...

I've not been around much either. The cold lasted right through Christmas. I felt good enough to run on the 28th, and I had a really good run but I've not done much otherwise. Though there has been a lot of travel and stuff. I don't want to call it the flu because I don't think I was quite that sick but it was honestly the worst cold I've had for years. At times I was struggling to breath it had congested my chest so much. Not fun at all. 

• Sad 2

Week 1, Tuesday

I'm going to get the ball rolling with today's update. I hasn't been a particularly good day, but neither has it been particularly bad. I've had a really hard time sleeping. Not insomnia as such but my own brand of sleep deprivation. (I've talked about it before but TLDR I don't like to sleep, so when I'm feeling depressed and unmotivated I sleep very little. If I could function with zero sleep, I sincerely would) I got up today at the time I'd usually go to the gym but I knew that there was little chance of me actually getting out to the gym. I did it for the express purpose of forcing myself back into a normal routine. As much as I wanted to go back to sleep I dragged myself up at 5am anyway. 

I've been lazy over Christmas. Much of it was forced on me but some of it was just that I was being lazy. In short though. My intention this week is as follows

Wednesday: Gym and Deadlifts

Thursday: Short (5-10k) gentle run 

Friday: Gym and bench

Saturday mid-log (10-15k) gentle run. 

Food has been iffy today. I haven't tracked but neither have I eaten very much at all. I'm planning on skipping dinner because even microwaving something seems too much effort right now. I just want to go to bed :D 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Yeah. I really want to try and get sub 2 hour at Reading and that is going to take some running. Other than that I'm not that fussed. I'm going to run with Birthday boy at Nuts, and @Rhovaniel at Tough Mudder.

Reading is going to be a training run for me, I think. I don't think I'm going to be doing any amazing times with it being so close. I want to run competitively at Nuts, but I just know that isn't going to happen! 

1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

I'm not really sure about the first Spartan. Part of me wants to try and bust out a good time but, and I might be wrong about this,  I think you(and Stu), @iatetheyeti@Big_Show and I have all signed up to it so there is a question of whether or not we should be making a team for it.

I want to try and get a good time at the Spartan Super. It's a league event and I want to see if i can do better than last year in the league. But then there is currently only 10 events listed in the league for this season, so maybe it's not even worth trying.

But RRDW is really the first thing I'm really going to focus on but even that is a training bump towards the marathon and the marathon I'm more worried about finishing the thing than I am about how fast I do it. I actually have no concept of what kind of time I want to get for it. I just want to finish. 

There isn't going to be anything serious about RRDW! It's just a long run/walk with obstacles! Just completing MvL is a victory in itself. I have no goal in mind other than that as I have nothing to go on. First marathon on difficult terrain, any time goals I put in place are going to be wild guesses at most.

Need to look at accommodation for MvL soon. I'll PM you about that soon!

• Like 2

Of course I'm following :D

Much as I'd love to make it a team thing, I'm highly conscious of the fact that I am not the quickest around and would most definitely slow down anyone looking to make a good time.