• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

raptron

Raptron: Business as Usual

Day 1.3

I thought about going to the metabolic conditioning class (it's pretty much a circuit then abs then steady state cardio) during lunch, but I was TOO HUNGRY to go before I ate lunch. Instead, I left work a bit early to go to the work gym and did.

5 minute warm-up row

rowing tabata of 20s sprint / 10s slow

5 minute cool-down row

Then a jump rope / 50# kettlebell swing interval scheme of 30s alternating each for 8 rounds x 2 with rest in between.

DEFINITELY got me good and was under 30 minutes. After, I quickly headed downtown to give away my blood to the vampires at the Red Cross, which went fine.

Gymnastics: 0 vault, 0 beam, 0 floor, 0 bars

Intervals: 1/2 

Jobs: 0/3

Donating yesterday actually works out kind of perfectly with a snow day because 1) the gymnastics gym has already preemptively closed and 2) I'd otherwise maybe try to take a bus out to the lifting gym but lol @ buses in a blizzard. I don't feel bad about staying put today (or maybe possibly participating in some snow adventures once the worst of the storm dies down). HOWEVER, only one gymnastics practice this week will make it hard to do routines on all events (just given the time frame)... I could possibly stay for double practice on Sat. We'll see.

• Like 5

On 1/2/2018 at 10:11 AM, raptron said:

Hi! I'm Raptron. You may know me from such challenges as #36: Sept - Oct 2014 and #44: Oct - Nov 2015.

On 1/3/2018 at 12:15 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Of course, how could we ever forget those? :)

I feel like the scripts needed some work but the action scenes were on point.

tmqAGuT.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

tmqAGuT.gif

Okay I definitely scrolled past this gif multiple times and was like "oh wrestling, haha..." and then was suddenly like "HOLY CRAP THAT DUDE DID A DOUBLE FRONT OFF OF SOME STRONG ONTO ANOTHER DUDE, THAT IS THE MOST INCREDIBLE THING I'VE SEEN IN MY LIFE" 0.o

• Like 4

On 1/4/2018 at 9:42 AM, RogueLibrarian said:

tmqAGuT.gif

9 hours ago, tei_ said:

Okay I definitely scrolled past this gif multiple times and was like "oh wrestling, haha..." and then was suddenly like "HOLY CRAP THAT DUDE DID A DOUBLE FRONT OFF OF SOME STRONG ONTO ANOTHER DUDE, THAT IS THE MOST INCREDIBLE THING I'VE SEEN IN MY LIFE" 0.o

RIGHT? Dooope.

23 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

it's like you totally planned out the perfect day to be recovering from giving blood ;) stay warm todayyyy

Worked out so great!

Day 1.4

I had a lot of grand plans for my snow day but I actually just wound up working the whole day....? ...? ....? So that's a bummer. I did manage to poach some chicken and dye my roots (both pretty inactive processes) but didn't accomplish my two other goals which were making soup and baking a coffee cake or something. Around 6pm I wanted to go play in the snow and visit a nearby friend so I went on a brief snowventure to her house and then got dinner (gumbooooo) and headed home. 

Incredibly chilllL~ day.

Gymnastics: 0 vault, 0 beam, 0 floor, 0 bars

Intervals: 1/2 

Jobs: 0/3

Plan: tonight - squats and bench, tomorrow possibly double gymnastics practice including hiit conditioning circuit (we have this annoying one that has sprints, front tucks, and jumps) + submit job applications, Sunday we are doing a little gymnastics book club about Aly Raisman's Fierce, which I read in one sitting on Wednesday, haha. I'm pretty sure the intended audience is like 12-year-old gymnasts, so it is a pretty quick read. :) As of right now, I have no social engagements planned tonight or Saturday (!) so maybe I'll be able to be productive at home. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, tei_ said:

THAT IS MY BOYFRIEND PRINCE PUMA

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, raptron said:

As of right now, I have no social engagements planned tonight or Saturday (!) so maybe I'll be able to be productive at home. 

saaaaaaame. well just a couple low key things during the day. but it's going to be fuhhhhreezing again this weekend so i'll probably continue to hibernate.

• Like 1

Sounds like your snow day was a lot like my snow day - so many grand plans but then reality set in.  Oh well - I'm jealous of the snowventure you had though!

11 hours ago, tei_ said:
On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:42 AM, RogueLibrarian said:

tmqAGuT.gif

I had the same scroll-past reaction until I actually read your comment.  WOWWWWWW.  How is that guy he landed on not down a kidney or something?!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Raxie said:

Sounds like your snow day was a lot like my snow day - so many grand plans but then reality set in.  Oh well - I'm jealous of the snowventure you had though!

I had the same scroll-past reaction until I actually read your comment.  WOWWWWWW.  How is that guy he landed on not down a kidney or something?!

It looks like the bottom guy gets ready to catch him a little bit on the landing. STILL! They're impressssive AF. 

• Like 2

Not to further derail Raptron's thread, but if you couple the idea of continuous action scenes like this with stories that include vampires and dragon dudes and undead Aztec priests and medallions of immortality, you'll begin to understand why I've fallen so hard for lucha libre despite never before having cared about any sports ever in my life. It's sort of like all superhero fights all the time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, raptron said:

Plan: tonight - squats and bench, tomorrow possibly double gymnastics practice including hiit conditioning circuit (we have this annoying one that has sprints, front tucks, and jumps) + submit job applications,

Get it!!!

Sunday we are doing a little gymnastics book club about Aly Raisman's Fierce, which I read in one sitting on Wednesday, haha. I'm pretty sure the intended audience is like 12-year-old gymnasts, so it is a pretty quick read.

This makes me even happier with the nutrition pull quote you shared! Fingers crossed it's part of a broader culture change in the dance / gymnastics world.

:) As of right now, I have no social engagements planned tonight or Saturday (!) so maybe I'll be able to be productive at home. 

Whaaa....?

9 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Not to further derail Raptron's thread, but if you couple the idea of continuous action scenes like this with stories that include vampires and dragon dudes and undead Aztec priests and medallions of immortality, you'll begin to understand why I've fallen so hard for lucha libre despite never before having cared about any sports ever in my life. It's sort of like all superhero fights all the time.

So... is there like, a primer somewhere on what to watch first/how to get into this?

11 hours ago, tei_ said:

So... is there like, a primer somewhere on what to watch first/how to get into this?

Lucha Underground on Netflix! (The documentary Lucha Mexico is a good introduction to what lucha is, a bit of its history and cultural significance, and follows some interesting wrestlers, but you can totally just start Lucha Underground and dive in.)

• Like 3

Day 1.5

5b12aa57800814ea095211610835dbd8.png

I got home, made my avgolemono soup I've literally been trying to make all week but didn't have the time (SO GOOOOD), and read and fell asleep early. A+ Friday night.

Day 1.6-1.7

Gymnastics practice was solid. I stayed for double practice so about 3.5 hours in alllll, which is a long time. I worked up to getting ready for my double salto passes again in advance of the competition in two weeks. Plus did a dance through and multiple beam routines. I went through MOST of bars but just didn't include my dismount because I was convinced I would rip and didn't feel like it was worth it. My legs were too toast from squats and the other events to manage a shot at vault, which I kind of guessed would happen. I tried to take a video to assess my beam choreo and form (lol there is no real choreo, just arm waving), but didn't get the angle right so it's just my lower body, and I was too lazy to try again. HOWEVER, I did freeze frame my switch leap to see that it is ACTUALLY pretty close to 180, even if I need to be more aggressive about straightening my legs:

bac57456455b9ed5386b5b5b9d89e1ab.png

My free evening on Saturday obvioooously turned into a social one with cider and southern food and my fave bar, duh. 

Sunday morning I did a burpee + jumping rope tabata before heading to our book club brunch thing, which was lovely.

Gymnastics: 0 vault, 1 beam, 1 floor, .5 bars

Intervals: 2/2 

Jobs: 2/3

Bit behind on gymnastics and jobs, but should be good in the next few weeks. :) 

• Like 10

Avgolemono recipe???

Also, 3.5 hours of gymnastics is hardcore AF. And I think I speak for everyone when I say we expected nothing less than a spontaneous social night out from at least one of your no plans weekend nights.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MikeWazowski said:

Avgolemono recipe???

Yes, please! I don't think I've ever had it and it sounds like it could be awesome, with the right recipe that is.

Nice splits in your leap!  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, tei_ said:

Is there... something else??

Hahah, I've been watching some NCAA and they do more actual... dancing around on the beam sometimes. :P But yes, all arm waving.

11 hours ago, MikeWazowski said:

Avgolemono recipe???

Also, 3.5 hours of gymnastics is hardcore AF. And I think I speak for everyone when I say we expected nothing less than a spontaneous social night out from at least one of your no plans weekend nights.

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Yes, please! I don't think I've ever had it and it sounds like it could be awesome, with the right recipe that is.

Nice splits in your leap!  

I used this one, which is SUUUUPER easy and added a bunch of shredded chicken I had made another day to make it more of a meal meal.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/01/in-season-meyer-lemons.html

And thank you! 

Day 2.1

Another day at gymnastics and another day of trying to get my shit together on my front tuck step-out double salto pass. It's still not quite coming together. I could pull out the second salto under pressure, but I am just not getting the timing right in general. Still chugging away at it all the same. Did some super casual back tumbling for the first time in a while and my back layouts felt amaze so that's a nice little perk.

Beyond that, I was still INCREDIBLY sore from uneven bars on Saturday so I skipped bars. My legs were too tired/toast from tumbling for like an hour to vault, so I worked on beam series. Working on putting together cartwheel into round-off on beam so I'm not doing dumb ass dive cartwheels anymore, but have a lot more concerns about having the proper connection into a round-off than I do with dive cartwheels, so who knows. It's looking a lot like I'll just be doing my old beam routine at the meet on 1/20, haha.

I did no full routines on any event.

Gymnastics: 0 vault, 1 beam, 1 floor, .5 bars

Intervals: 2/4

Jobs: 2/6

Tuesday: deads and ohp and front squats

Wednesday: hiit

Thursday: gymnastics

Friday: squat and bench

Sat: gymnastics w/ hiit conditioning

Sun: We're having a judge come in and critique/answer some routine-building questions at the gymnastics gym which I suppose I'll go to, but I am not sure I really want to go hard at this practice because man, this is a lot of gymnastics in the last week, haha.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, raptron said:

Another day at gymnastics and another day of trying to get my shit together on my front tuck step-out double salto pass. It's still not quite coming together. I could pull out the second salto under pressure, but I am just not getting the timing right in general.

Whats the second salto? Another front tuck?

I might be making this up but I swear the last time I followed your thread many a challenge ago you were working on working a front pass into your routine, I can't believe how much progress you've made!!