• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

raptron

Raptron: Business as Usual

48 minutes ago, Raxie said:

Whats the second salto? Another front tuck?

I might be making this up but I swear the last time I followed your thread many a challenge ago you were working on working a front pass into your routine, I can't believe how much progress you've made!!

The whole pass is front handspring + front tuck step out + round-off + back tuck. I was working front pike + front tuck for a while but couldn't get it consistent enough. Prior to the 2016 season, I competed round-off + whip back + back handspring + back tuck. I MUCH prefer the front pass. :D

I feeeeel like I haven't made much progress but a viewings of like 2014 and 2015 videos make it a bit more obvious.

• Like 3

Very impressive really, doing both weights and gym at a competing level , hats off to you!

How much time do you train per week all included, on average let's say? Is it a level of activity that you have always had? if not, how gradually did you get into it? Curious :P

1 hour ago, @mu said:

Very impressive really, doing both weights and gym at a competing level , hats off to you!

How much time do you train per week all included, on average let's say? Is it a level of activity that you have always had? if not, how gradually did you get into it? Curious :P

Well I just do both in a very... mediocre manner. Such is the price for not focusing on a single thing. :P

On average, I probably spend about 10 hours a week training seriously. Sometimes that is 3 gymnastics practices + 2 lifting days, sometimes 3 lifting days + 2 gymnastics days, sometimes I actually manage 3 gymnastics sessions + 3 lifting sessions (!), sometimes it is 4 lifting days and 1 gymnastics days, sometimes it is two lifting sessions and like nothing else. Plus jogging or HIIT, running stairs, or yoga sprinkled in on occasion. To me, I feel like I've been slacking over December and now because it's been closer to 4 workouts/week rather than the ideal of 5-6.

I did not always have this activity level. I did nothing physical in college and the first couple of years after college (if walking and going out dancing don't count which they doooon't). I was into the idea of being able to do a fun run with friends if I wanted, so I turned into a 2-3x/week runner for a year or so, then tried a couple of things like kickboxing (just once or twice a week) and yoga (same) before I found an adult gymnastics gym and started going there once a week. Then I started lifting, and any lifting program is at least 2-3x per week. From there, I found a pretty good groove of lifting and doing gymnastics every week, though which one was in focus or a priority is constantly shifting due to seasonal demand/enthusiasm/injury. :)

14 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

your legs on beam look amazing! so much gymnastics!

Haha, tyyy. 

• Like 6

Day 2.2

3838b29e96adaca3b1c1c9958c6310b2.png

Two folks at the gym have been training together/coaching a bit for a while, and yesterday, they both were like "LET'S LOOK AT WTF IS GOING ON WITH YOUR DEADLIFT" after I was griping about it. I am pretty much not hip hinging at all, which is... bad when the whole lift is supposed to be a hip hinge. I got some drills and cues for conventional  that hopefully will eventually click and help me fix my shit. I am a bit more optimistic! They also both pull sumo and said they'd love to help me figure out sumo as well, so that'll come in handy.

Gymnastics: 0 vault, 1 beam, 1 floor, .5 bars

Intervals: 2/4

Jobs: 2/6

14 hours ago, doctorake said:

Busy week

Definitely a bit busy. 

I forgot to mention that Hubstron is also having his annual birthday LAN party this upcoming weekend so there will be 3 extra dudes in my house Friday night - Monday. If I manage to eat anything with vegetables this weekend, that'll be a victory. 

I left my gym bag at home today so no lunch time workout for me. If I'm clever/quick enough between my haircut and my dinner plans, I could do a 20 minute hiit thing of some sort at home............. HM.

• Like 3

Thanks for the background you provided. it's very inspiring!

6 minutes ago, raptron said:

They also both pull sumo and said they'd love to help me figure out sumo as well, so that'll come in handy.

I also have more leverage in sumo.
I don't know if you have heard this tip but...it's the same movement as rising trot (in horse riding). If you can check out how riders do it, find yourself a real or fake pony (pommel horse with stirrups?) and practice rising trot, it could help you feel it from a very different approach.
I'm serious!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, raptron said:

Day 2.2

3838b29e96adaca3b1c1c9958c6310b2.png

Two folks at the gym have been training together/coaching a bit for a while, and yesterday, they both were like "LET'S LOOK AT WTF IS GOING ON WITH YOUR DEADLIFT" after I was griping about it. I am pretty much not hip hinging at all, which is... bad when the whole lift is supposed to be a hip hinge. I got some drills and cues for conventional  that hopefully will eventually click and help me fix my shit. I am a bit more optimistic! They also both pull sumo and said they'd love to help me figure out sumo as well, so that'll come in handy.

NICE!!!! No hip hinge and you *still* kicked butt at your meet? Also, tempo front squats sound like hell, props to you doing the thing.

If I manage to eat anything with vegetables this weekend, that'll be a victory. 

Go Raptron! Eat veggies!

I left my gym bag at home today so no lunch time workout for me. If I'm clever/quick enough between my haircut and my dinner plans, I could do a 20 minute hiit thing of some sort at home............. HM.

This plan sounds nuts, but if anyone can pull it off, you can!

• Like 1

On 1/10/2018 at 9:37 AM, @mu said:

I also have more leverage in sumo
I don't know if you have heard this tip but...it's the same movement as rising trot (in horse riding). If you can check out how riders do it, find yourself a real or fake pony (pommel horse with stirrups?) and practice rising trot, it could help you feel it from a very different approach.
I'm serious!

I have not ridden a horse in probably 15 years, haha. Are you talking about sumo specifically or just deadlifting in general? 

I had a bit of a mental breakthrough about setting up for the lift. In order to hip hinge forward, you need to have hip hinged BACK in the set-up to have somewhere to go from. For some reason that never really occurred to me when setting up, so I think it's going to help me with my start position and starting to pre-load my posterior chain.

20 hours ago, MikeWazowski said:

NICE!!!! No hip hinge and you *still* kicked butt at your meet? Also, tempo front squats sound like hell, props to you doing the thing.

Go Raptron! Eat veggies!

This plan sounds nuts, but if anyone can pull it off, you can!

17 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

that's awesome about the helpful gym folks!!

truth

I did not pull it off, but that's okay. My haircut went a bit longer than I thought it would so I just didn't have the timeeee. I mean I kind of had the time, but not REALLY.

Went to dinner with friends and grabbed a drink with another friend after. CaSuAl day. No workouts.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, raptron said:

I had a bit of a mental breakthrough about setting up for the lift. In order to hip hinge forward, you need to have hip hinged BACK in the set-up to have somewhere to go from. For some reason that never really occurred to me when setting up, so I think it's going to help me with my start position and starting to pre-load my posterior chain.

interesting... i wonder if i even do this.

20 minutes ago, raptron said:

I did not pull it off, but that's okay. My haircut went a bit longer than I thought it would so I just didn't have the timeeee. I mean I kind of had the time, but not REALLY.

Went to dinner with friends and grabbed a drink with another friend after. CaSuAl day. No workouts.

tenor.gif?itemid=4559863

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

interesting... i wonder if i even do this.

tenor.gif?itemid=4559863

I am EXTREMELY attracted to Chris O'Dowd even though, idk he always looks kind of... soggy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, raptron said:

I am EXTREMELY attracted to Chris O'Dowd even though, idk he always looks kind of... soggy. 

Hmm mee too! The soggy look might be due to the angle of his eyes.

2 hours ago, raptron said:

Haha that’s a great description. I wish there were more seasons of the IT crowd, that show was hilarious!

• Like 2

On 2018-01-10 at 8:37 AM, @mu said:

I also have more leverage in sumo.
I'm serious!

I now have a list of pommel horse workers that I would like to see demonstrate this.

On 1/3/2018 at 6:55 AM, raptron said:

I'm looking into project management positions mostly at tech companies, but ideally ones that work toward a somewhat relevant mission to the things my organization does (sustainability, improving health care, climate adaptation, public engagement, etc.)

I am just starting to catch up on threads, so ignore this if you've gotten a job in the week since you've posted this - my company is hiring for a PM right now. We're a Silicon Valley tech company with an office in Chicago and our headquarters in Barcelona (so there is at least one international trip a year). I *think* they want the PM in Chicago, but CA would also probably be negotiable. The pay is just average and we're on the smaller side, but I could send you a link, if you like?

15 hours ago, raptron said:

I have not ridden a horse in probably 15 years, haha. Are you talking about sumo specifically or just deadlifting in general? 

Not sumo specific, it is for the hip hinge feel, the forward movement of the hips  - so yes also I think your break through will definitely help, to move forward you need to have set them back first a little. It's a a bit of a tilt. Exactly like riders.

I noticed taller people prefer conventional and shorter people go sumo. But it might be a subjective impression. I just know that I have more leverage in sumo (I'm 5'4). But it might also be just poor technique in conventional... When I started powerlifting, I had a coach in the beginning, and after a couple of weeks of conventional, he is the one who suggested I go sumo.

4 hours ago, tei_ said:

I now have a list of pommel horse workers that I would like to see demonstrate this.

:lol:

7 hours ago, millhavenslottie said:

I am just starting to catch up on threads, so ignore this if you've gotten a job in the week since you've posted this - my company is hiring for a PM right now. We're a Silicon Valley tech company with an office in Chicago and our headquarters in Barcelona (so there is at least one international trip a year). I *think* they want the PM in Chicago, but CA would also probably be negotiable. The pay is just average and we're on the smaller side, but I could send you a link, if you like?

I'm living in Boston at the moment and while relocation is what I want in the next medium term (maybe a year and a half?), I plan to stick around the area for now. Otherwise, I'd totally say yes! :)

6 hours ago, @mu said:

Not sumo specific, it is for the hip hinge feel, the forward movement of the hips  - so yes also I think your break through will definitely help, to move forward you need to have set them back first a little. It's a a bit of a tilt. Exactly like riders.

I noticed taller people prefer conventional and shorter people go sumo. But it might be a subjective impression. I just know that I have more leverage in sumo (I'm 5'4). But it might also be just poor technique in conventional... When I started powerlifting, I had a coach in the beginning, and after a couple of weeks of conventional, he is the one who suggested I go sumo.

Gotcha, yeah. That's definitely not a comparison I had heard before, but I like it. :)

Sumo versus conventional is usually a bit less about height and more about the various ratios of your limb (lever) lengths. Long femurs in particular usually force your hips to have to be further back from the bar when you are pulling conventional, which isn't particularly advantageous. I pulled something like 245# sumo in November and it felt relatively easy? So it may eventually make sense to switch over to sumo for my competition deads/main work sets, but I still need to nail the form consistently. I'm thinking doing accessory sets of sumo to try to get that more solid will be a good approach.

11 hours ago, tei_ said:

Heeeehe.

Day 2.4

I know I said gymnastics, but the more I thought about doing 4 practice sessions this week, the more that sounded like a bad idea (so much impact), plus we had to do some cleaning last night in advance of the weekend's guests and I don't get home until 10 pm after gymnastics versus 8:30ish after lifting. So I lifted instead! 

2fbab1cfe8dcdff2d203a9313b90003b.png

I probably should have done some upper body accessory as well but my armmmms were so tired from bench, haha. At 5 x 10 squats and 5 x 10 bench sets, this workout DID already take a while, so I wanted to get out of the gym and get some food. 

Jobs: 3/6

It's always funny when I don't have any lifting goals because then it just looks like I'm not doing anything all week. :P Still doing deads and OHP tonight, gymnastics Sat and Sun. I will surely get through floor and beam routines. Goal for Sat is to definitely do bars dismounts because I haven't done a flyaway in forever (they make me rip because I grip the bar too hard, ha). Vault, idk. My legs are usually exhausted from all the other stuff and I might just not bother to  vault next weekend (I just do a handspring because I never do vault..................... -___-) because I don't really care about doing AA this early in the season.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/1/2018 at 9:37 AM, @mu said:

This is a great tip which I'll try to use in my own (meager) deadlift but oooooooohhhh...you just gave me flashbacks to my riding instructors making us practice rising trot with no &$#% stirrups and...

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CourtnieMarie said:

only do vault if this is your routine

c3d90acad610c6dc01a5b77173d62a4d.gif

This appears to be a running gag/challenge right now #boythings

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, otterbyte said:

This is a great tip which I'll try to use in my own (meager) deadlift but oooooooohhhh...you just gave me flashbacks to my riding instructors making us practice rising trot with no &$#% stirrups and...

giphy.gif

Now I'm having flash backs to bareback races I did in summer camp where they made us post. Aka death. I'll be having nightmares tonight.

Vault is such a weird one to progress on. You’re either doing a handspring, or all of a sudden shit gets super real if you want to do... not a handspring.