• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

raptron

Raptron: Business as Usual

14 hours ago, raptron said:

Sumo versus conventional is usually a bit less about height and more about the various ratios of your limb (lever) lengths. Long femurs in particular usually force your hips to have to be further back from the bar when you are pulling conventional, which isn't particularly advantageous.

haahaan yes that makes sense indeed.

Max I sumo-deadlifted was 2x my body weight, conventional was lower (my deadlift was good for competition but my squat and bench were average / on the lower side). I'm pretty sure the hamstring/lower back power came from years of horse riding. It also came handy for basing in acro/aerial (my turn to be the poney lol)

8 hours ago, raptron said:

This appears to be a running gag/challenge right now #boythings

Nuts :lol:

• Like 2

On 1/12/2018 at 2:36 PM, otterbyte said:

This is a great tip which I'll try to use in my own (meager) deadlift but oooooooohhhh...you just gave me flashbacks to my riding instructors making us practice rising trot with no &$#% stirrups and...

I feel this. I had to do no stirrup February. She hid them so we couldn't even sneak easier practice rides. Which meant literally jumping full courses sans stirrups. FUN STUFF.

I wrote up my update yesterday but my computer froze and I lost everything, so yes, this one is a bit delayed.

Day 2.5

fbd1808d96f1dda30702cb0915ee7eef.png

My hamstrings were sore from this workout until MONDAY. I am soooo excited about that. I am actually used my posterior chain in my deadlifts! 

Gymnastics: 0 vault, 1 beam, 1 floor, .5 bars

Intervals: 2/4

Jobs: 4/6

Day 2.6

At gymnastics practice, I was obsessed with working on my double salto pass. I did a LOT of tumbling and maybe 70% of them, I could have definitely thrown the tuck after but didn't quite make it. I felt much more optimistic about floor after Saturday's tumbling. I also did sets of all 3 tumbling passes back-to-back (fhs + front tuck, run to corner + turn around, ro + bhs + back layout, run to corner + turn around, fhs + front pike) about 5 times, with ample rest in between for very sports-specific conditioning. 

Threw in a quick beam warm-up and routine and then did a bit of bars but only half a routine. I planned on getting the rest in on Sunday.

Gymnastics: 0 vault, 2 beam, 2 floor, 1 bars

Intervals: 3/4

Day 2.7

SUNDAY, however, it turns out the judge we were expecting cancelled on us. I didn't particularly want to go to practice after that, so I met up with a friend who has been going through a hard time and we hung out for a while.

Intervals: 3/4

Behind on job applications still, but I also had a talk with my current boss about replacing my coworker and what the schedule for that is going to look like. Given that she's leaving at the end of February, I may want to stick around longer than I had planned to get her replacement (and then perhaps my replacement) settled in. That has slowed my roll a bit on the new job hunt, which is fine for many reasons. I am still going to keep applying for things, but I feel less pressure to do so at the moment.

I'm FULLY not prepared for the meet on Saturday. But, I am going to go for fun and for supporting my team. It is OK if my routines are not awesome and it is OK if I don't meet all of the requirements (I am not sure this double salto pass will make it into my routine by then). 

• Like 5

Day 3.1

Yesterday, I was just emotionally in the gutter and I couldn't bear the thought of going to gymnastics practice (even with the meet looming on Saturday and the lack of practice on Sunday). I ate pizza and napped and watched TV instead. I think I had some hangover ennui influencing my mood, but my guess is it was a reaction to feeling a bit overwhelmed about a massive project I'm dealing with this week at work + needing to make a call about my birthday plans + feeling shitty about my gymnastics status. 

I am not sure staying in and moping was the right choice, but I'm moving forward from that now.

Intervals: 3/6

Jobs: 4/9

Tuesday: squat + bench + kettlebell swings interval or something like that 

Wednesday: dead + ohp
Thursday: gymnastics

Friday: yoga + birthday squats~ + casual bday dinner with Hubstron

Saturday: morning gymnastics practice (causal stretching and routine prep) + MEET in the evening

Sunday: belated birthday celebrations in the form of a Sunday Funday 

• Like 2

really glad to hear about the deadlifts and intense gymnastics practice on sunday. i'm sorry you were bummed out yesterday :(  it's hard NOT comparing yourself to your teammates but you also have to understand that your teammates may be some of the best gymnasts in your age group in the area? either way, easier said than done of course. look back on your own progress and take into account the fact that you spent a year of pretty dedicated focus on lifting. <3

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, raptron said:

I ate pizza and napped and watched TV instead. I think I had some hangover ennui influencing my mood, but my guess is it was a reaction to feeling a bit overwhelmed about a massive project I'm dealing with this week at work + needing to make a call about my birthday plans + feeling shitty about my gymnastics status. 
I am not sure staying in and moping was the right choice, but I'm moving forward from that now.

You know, I'm not sure we even "choose" to have those "meh" days, they happen. And sometimes they have to happen for the wave to go up again. It might actually help you rebound before the meet. What is wrong with your gymnastic status? do you mean your practice or something else?

1 hour ago, raptron said:

My hamstrings were sore from this workout until MONDAY. I am soooo excited about that.

Very meaningful soreness :lol: congrats on the DOMs :P

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, @mu said:

You know, I'm not sure we even "choose" to have those "meh" days, they happen. And sometimes they have to happen for the wave to go up again. It might actually help you rebound before the meet. What is wrong with your gymnastic status? do you mean your practice or something else?

My feeling of unpreparedness for the competition on Saturday. I practically died trying to get through a floor routine with actual tumbling instead of stand-in sprints. It's embarrassing and could have been prevented if I had done more/trained more smartly. 

And yeah, I am kind of with you on the meh day, which is why I leaned into it rather than trying to fight, hoping that it would help me feel better. I think it did work a bit and feel much better today, but there is lingering guilt about not doing the thing that would have made me feel better about at least one of the stressors (gymnastics practice -> help relieve some competition prep stress). 

57 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

really glad to hear about the deadlifts and intense gymnastics practice on sunday. i'm sorry you were bummed out yesterday :(  it's hard NOT comparing yourself to your teammates but you also have to understand that your teammates may be some of the best gymnasts in your age group in the area? either way, easier said than done of course. look back on your own progress and take into account the fact that you spent a year of pretty dedicated focus on lifting. <3

Thank youuu. It's less about comparison to others and more about comparison to where I think I should be / embarrassing myself. That LIFTING LIFE is totally true though. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, raptron said:

I practically died trying to get through a floor routine with actual tumbling instead of stand-in sprints. It's embarrassing and could have been prevented if I had done more/trained more smartly. 

oh ok sorry I hadn't understood that bit! But you still have time to do run-through by then yes?
Do you have like a gymnastics coach?  or are you all on your own or almost on your own?

2 minutes ago, @mu said:

Oh ok sorry I hadn't understood that bit! But you still have time to do run-through by then yes?
Do you have like a gymnastics coach?  or are you all on your own or almost on your own?

Yeah, I have two practices for run throughs, so it should be okay. :)

We have no coach. Fully peer coached/self-guided. I honestly don't do so hot with people trying to tell me what to do at workouts anyway, so it's not the worst, but we all think it would be helpful to have coaching for trying to learn new skills/series. We're trying to see about having someone come in for team practices on Saturdays but haven't found a deal that works yet. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, raptron said:

Yeah, I have two practices for run throughs, so it should be okay. :)

We have no coach. Fully peer coached/self-guided. I honestly don't do so hot with people trying to tell me what to do at workouts anyway, so it's not the worst, but we all think it would be helpful to have coaching for trying to learn new skills/series. We're trying to see about having someone come in for team practices on Saturdays but haven't found a deal that works yet. 

wow, that's amazing! Honestly / mind blown right here!

Is it because it's adult gymnastics that coaching deals are hard to come by?

14 minutes ago, @mu said:

wow, that's amazing! Honestly / mind blown right here!

Is it because it's adult gymnastics that coaching deals are hard to come by?

Most people who coach have team practices on Saturday mornings, from what we've seen. And we are looking for someone who has experience spotting fully grown adults rather than 70 lb children, which I think a lot of of coaches find daunting. Plus, I don't think our board is trying very hard. :P

That isn't to say we're flying blind here though. We have a few girls who competed at the college level and even one who was elite for a bit. Plus many of us have coached lower levels/taught classes before so collectively, we have A LOT of good, useful gymnastics knowledge to share with one another. However, when it comes to identifying specific conditioning or drills someone should do to fix a problem, we sometimes run out of ideas to offer. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, raptron said:

It's less about comparison to others and more about comparison to where I think I should be / embarrassing myself.

I can relate to this so hard.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, raptron said:

Yesterday, I was just emotionally in the gutter and I couldn't bear the thought of going to gymnastics practice (even with the meet looming on Saturday and the lack of practice on Sunday). I ate pizza and napped and watched TV instead.

Ugh this feeling is the worst.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sylph said:

I can relate to this so hard.

17 hours ago, tei_ said:

Me tooooooooo

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Meeee threeee!

Feeling better today?

<33333

15 hours ago, doctorake said:

Ugh this feeling is the worst.

It's the pits!

I'm feeling much better today, for sure. I'm doing a lot of self-talk about competing whatever I can on Saturday (with a strong emphasis on that I came back to competition for fun, RIGHT?), made some bday plans for the weekend, and am making progress on my big project at work, so really a trifecta of progress. 

Day 3.2

7ddabc53f6798e69f6018f880dd49ee0.png

Plus 8 rounds of 30s on / 45s off kettlebell swings with 50#. My haaands were so shot after this.

Intervals: 4/6

Plan remains for the rest of the week. I am just not sure when I am going to make my cake!? I want to make a medovik which takes a while and is kind of a pain in the ass, but I always do elaborate cakes for my birthday. I might try to make it after dinner and the gym on Friday night because I don't think I have enough time between practice and the competition on Saturday. HMM! 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, raptron said:

<33333

It's the pits!

I'm feeling much better today, for sure. I'm doing a lot of self-talk about competing whatever I can on Saturday (with a strong emphasis on that I came back to competition for fun, RIGHT?), made some bday plans for the weekend, and am making progress on my big project at work, so really a trifecta of progress. 

Soo glad to hear you bounced back! I really wanted to make a gymnastics pun here, but I don't know enough to make one. Also, I can totally relate to the feeling inadequate thing because falling short of arbitrary benchmark I've set for myself, I think I've struggled with that literally every dance competition I can remember.

Day 3.2

7ddabc53f6798e69f6018f880dd49ee0.png

Plus 8 rounds of 30s on / 45s off kettlebell swings with 50#. My haaands were so shot after this.

How do you go about picking your intervals? It's one area of my programming I'm not happy with currently.

Plan remains for the rest of the week. I am just not sure when I am going to make my cake!? I want to make a medovik which takes a while and is kind of a pain in the ass, but I always do elaborate cakes for my birthday. I might try to make it after dinner and the gym on Friday night because I don't think I have enough time between practice and the competition on Saturday. HMM! 

I had to google this, and I'm impressed! Literally the first three google hits all had callouts that it's a really hard recipe to make.

10 minutes ago, MikeWazowski said:

Soo glad to hear you bounced back! I really wanted to make a gymnastics pun here, but I don't know enough to make one. Also, I can totally relate to the feeling inadequate thing because falling short of arbitrary benchmark I've set for myself, I think I've struggled with that literally every dance competition I can remember.

Rebound is totally a gymnastics word, so I'll pretend you said that. ;) 

How do you go about picking your intervals? It's one area of my programming I'm not happy with currently.

I try to think of a good interval and then I reduce it by like at least 2 rounds because I usually overestimate myself. I'm still figuring it out myself. I like the tabata format so I often work off of that rather than longer interval styles. However, my routines are 90 seconds long, so I am also considering doing something like box jumps or burpees for a full 90 seconds (which would be more like a medium-high intensity because of the length) for more routine prep.

I had to google this, and I'm impressed! Literally the first three google hits all had callouts that it's a really hard recipe to make.

Overachievingggg with cake~ I made a Dobos torte last year, which actually didn't turn out all that great in appearance but tasted amazing. 

• Like 3

Wow I also assumed you had a coach, or at least like someone in the team who was kind of like a captain or something?  I'm even more impressed with all your accomplishments now :)

Glad you're feeling less meh!

• Like 2

i knowwwwwww birthday squats are birthday squats! but i feel like your birthday cake is important and would give you an opportunity to rest your body/mind a bit before the competition? and maybe even you can stick yoga in at lunchtime that day so that you have even more time that evening to bake?

whatever you decide, i at least know you won't be these people.

UnhappyMediumDoe-max-1mb.gif

• Like 4

19 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

i knowwwwwww birthday squats are birthday squats! but i feel like your birthday cake is important and would give you an opportunity to rest your body/mind a bit before the competition? and maybe even you can stick yoga in at lunchtime that day so that you have even more time that evening to bake?

whatever you decide, i at least know you won't be these people.

But Courtnie... BIRTHDAY SQUATS

tumblr_ntt5l79PiQ1qdym4po1_400.gif

Day 3.3

7576b6cf87156cbd1cc57386f0aeca0b.png

The folks who gave me advice last week were there and remarked that I looked like I was hinging much better. (They still had other corrections/suggestions, but I can already feel a difference -- hello hamstrings! -- and think I should be able to keep improving on form.) I only have four more of these 10s workouts. Woooo~ When I was done with this one, I really felt/thought I had done a week's worth of workouts already. I went to bed a bit early, which was good because I definitely needed it. 

Gymnastics tonight will definitely include flyaways (and a full bars routine) but maybe not much more because my calluses are really feeling not so hot with this high volume deadlifting. Definitely beam routines as well. MAYBE vault, but I am still pretty sure I don't want to vault on Saturday. I am going to plan on applying to a few jobs on Saturday afternoon (already have some picked out), to really bone back up on that goal. 

ALSO I haven't decided what to wear yet for my BDAY PARTY! Do I need a new sparkly thing (I mean... always)? 

• Haha 2