• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

raptron

Raptron: Business as Usual

I am such a baby - I can't believe you still competed on bars! You're legit my hero. Hope you heal up soon and I am SO glad your ankle didn't keep you from celebrating. :) 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, tei_ said:

Aaaaaaa i saw the picture of the ankle and was like.... is this normal? Is she going to compete on that??? That suuuuucks, I hope it deflates/feels better soon! Congrats on your team win anyway, I guess your cheering worked!

That cake looks AMAZING

22 hours ago, @mu said:

Ahhh this is so unfair really :(

I hope you get better and back on both feet very very very soon!! And bravo for the team prize!

Cake is looking beautiful! :wub: I don't think I ever had one of those !

21 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Nooooo not the ankle again! :( Hope it recovers quickly!

At least there was cake and cocktails. :) 

18 hours ago, Raxie said:

Oh noooo I'm sorry about your ankle! Icebox cakes are so good that one looks amazing, glad you didn't let your ankle ruin your birthday weekend and you still got a little bit of competing in. Hope you heal up quick!

18 hours ago, dancezwithkittehz said:

Nooooo. I hope your ankle heals up soon. HAPPY BIRTHDAAAAAY and I am glad to see you made the most of it in spite of ankle!

Thank you, guys. <3 I don't think it's a super bad sprain by any means. The swelling already seems to have lessened some and it is more green/yellow than mad purple already, which I am pleased about. 

I'm going to see what's possible at the gym tonight. At the very least, upper body work should be fine. 

Omg the ankle makes me cringe with sympathy pain! You are a true bad ass for still competing. Also for going out and not letting it get in the way of birthday fun. :) 

Happy Belated Birthday! 

• Like 1

Oh no!  Hope the ankle heals up quickly :( 

^^^ I totally posted this yesterday but for some reason it never showed up.  When I came to repost, there it was sitting in my editor.  [eyeroll]

So anyway, that cake looks awesome and I am way impressed that you kept going with you ankle in that condition!

17 hours ago, raptron said:

Thank you, guys. <3 I don't think it's a super bad sprain by any means. The swelling already seems to have lessened some and it is more green/yellow than mad purple already, which I am pleased about.

That's a good news! I understand it has happened before? is it always the same foot?

23 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

I'm so late to the party! A very happy and effortlessly swingful belated birthday. I hope your ankle is less lumpy. CAREFUL at the gym!

I was the CAREFUL-EST. I even taped it just in case.

22 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Happy belated birthday!

Such a bummer about the ankle. Doesn't it always seem to happen when doing something easy :(

Cake looks heavenly!

Jumps, man. It's always jumps for me. My perioperception is just so bad with my ankles on them.

19 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Omg the ankle makes me cringe with sympathy pain! You are a true bad ass for still competing. Also for going out and not letting it get in the way of birthday fun. :) 

Happy Belated Birthday! 

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Oh no!  Hope the ankle heals up quickly :( 

^^^ I totally posted this yesterday but for some reason it never showed up.  When I came to repost, there it was sitting in my editor.  [eyeroll]

So anyway, that cake looks awesome and I am way impressed that you kept going with you ankle in that condition!

6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Glad it's getting better!

Thanks, guys!

6 hours ago, @mu said:

That's a good news! I understand it has happened before? is it always the same foot?

I pretty much get an ankle sprain annually. It is not always the same foot, but it is more commonly my right than my left, I'd say. Both have loose ligaments at this point so yay chronic ankle instability. I do ankle strengthening work pretty regularly, but I just don't have a good understanding of where they are in the air. And the loose ligaments love to just go out on me whenever. I could probably do a bit more to try to prevent it, but for now I am just taking the most common offender (RO+straddle jump) out of my routine. 

Does anyone have experience with taping ankles to prevent future sprains? Some of my teammates wear braces but most are to prevent crunching ankles on landings rather than rolling them. I will definitely be taping it at practice while it heals but I'm considering trying some kinesiology tape in the future to see if it helps prevent them in the first place/reminds me to keep my feet READY TO LAND ON THE DANG GROUND.

Day 4.2

8b83807f5f5d982e537fccefb47e2279.png

plus bulgarian split squats 5 x 10 x 30# (require a lot less ankle dorsiflexion than regular squats)

lat raises 5 x 8 x 15#

front plate raises 5 x 10 x 25#

Gymnastics: 0 vault, 3 beam, 3 floor, 3 bars

Intervals: 5/8

I tested deadlifts last night and they seem like they'll be okay. I did only do 135 so heavier weights may not fare as well, but we will see tonight how it feels. I am feeling more and more confident that this is one of the milder sprains (which I was pretty confident before), so hopefully the recovery will be pretty quick as I am ANTSY TO TUMBLE AGAIN. 

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh TOTALLY, but there are definite studies about taping in general and possible correlation with preventing future sprains:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4851123/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5706382/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24184853

https://ojs.ub.uni-konstanz.de/cpa/article/view/2788

I was thinking kinetic/cloth self-adhesive tape rather than the traditional pre-wrap and athletic tape because it's faster to apply and actually retains tightness well.

Though this one seems to indicate bracing might be a better bet: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16558427 I don't know that I want to buy a brace. :P

ETA: Upon Googling, self-adhesive tape DOES not retain tightness or brace well, so lol, pre-wrap and normal tape it is. I figured it must also function as real tape, but apparently not.

Yeah I've just been super against KT tape because while there's no evidence it actually works they still make a lot of money because, let's be real, it comes in cool colours.

Taping/wrapping in general is fine, when done correctly. Though I get really grumpy at the many, many climbers who tape their injured fingers and think that's going to help. If you do it right (which most don't), it can support maybe 5-10% load. But do you think they climb any less hard for that? No. It's purely to make themselves feel better. Grrr...

Ok rant over. :P 

1 minute ago, Mad Hatter said:

Yeah I've just been super against KT tape because while there's no evidence it actually works they still make a lot of money because, let's be real, it comes in cool colours.

Taping/wrapping in general is fine, when done correctly. Though I get really grumpy at the many, many climbers who tape their injured fingers and think that's going to help. If you do it right (which most don't), it can support maybe 5-10% load. But do you think they climb any less hard for that? No. It's purely to make themselves feel better. Grrr...

Ok rant over. :P 

Hahah, totally.

I also have been generally against it but thought it MUST be able to work as normal tape rather than just as decorative stripes. Alas. ;) 

Slapping tape on something just to try to pretend to be 100% is a terrible goal and afflicts soooo many sports. 

7 minutes ago, raptron said:

I also have been generally against it but thought it MUST be able to work as normal tape rather than just as decorative stripes. Alas. ;) 

Sure, if even the pros are doing it it must be magic. ;) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Sure, if even the pros are doing it it must be magic. ;) 

Alsooooo I have witnessed (and maybe been guilty of...) a fair amount of "tape makes me look hardcore so I'll use it even if I'm not actually injured in a way that requires tape" :P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tei_ said:

Alsooooo I have witnessed (and maybe been guilty of...) a fair amount of "tape makes me look hardcore so I'll use it even if I'm not actually injured in a way that requires tape" :P

The athlete equivalent of war paint. :P 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

The athlete equivalent of war paint. :P 

I prefer #glitteriswarpaint :D

Day 4.3

On 1/24/2018 at 10:27 AM, raptron said:

I tested deadlifts last night and they seem like they'll be okay. I did only do 135 so heavier weights may not fare as well, but we will see tonight how it feels.

I planned on deadlifting and doing OHP last night but honestly, I was very drained and didn't feel so great about going to the gym especially with the possibility it WOULDN'T feel great to deadlift heavier on it.

I went home, ate dinner, read for a hot minute, and then napped for 3 hours... before sleeping for 7... so.... I kind of needed the day off, I think. 

giphy.webp

Gymnastics: 0 vault, 3 beam, 3 floor, 3 bars

Intervals: 5/8

• Like 5

23 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

I'm learning so much about tape.

Ahaha.

Day 4.4

At gymnastics practice we had rescheduled the judge coming in to give us feedback on skills/routines/answer some of our burning questions about the Code of Points. (WHAT IS SWINGFUL EXECUTION AFTER ALL!?!?! answer: no one knows.) That actually worked out pretty well with the fact that my ankle took most things off the table. I did uneven bars for maybe 30 minutes, which was good, then mostly listened and asked questions of the judge. I ended with a bunch of handstand practice, which went quite well actually, and probably like 15 negative stadlers (handstand to a straddle hold...ish... as much as I could hold I guess). 

It was a light workout but very informative and a good use of the evening.

Gymnastics: 0 vault, 3 beam, 3 floor, 4 bars

Intervals: 5/8 <-- I kind of forgot about this. HMMMM. Maybe KB swings tonight. I still can't really do sprints or jumps...

Anyone have low impact HIIT ideas? :)

• Like 2

On 1/26/2018 at 4:18 PM, sylph said:

Bike or arm bike.... that's all I got.

Haha, same. 

Day 4.5

f51595f79b2ce0a3a33c88684ada0773.png

My handsss. I did not make 10 f or 75# OHP because OHP is terrible. I then also couldn't make 10 on 70, so both were 8. The rest were sets of 10, though. "Interval"ish conditioning after of kettlebell swings again, this time with 62# kettlebell for 8 rounds of 30s on/30s of hopping... pretty lame hopping at that, hahah. 

Gymnastics: 0 vault, 3 beam, 3 floor, 4 bars

Intervals: 6/8

Day 4.6

We had a mock meet on Saturday morning, which started at 9, so I pretty much treated Friday night as a work night and went to bed early. Ankle was still not awesome, but I could at least get on relevé and do my balance beam routine minus a few skills (no turn, leap, or dismount). Here are some sloppy snippets from the day. They were from IG so the quality is not great, but I figured I haven't actually posted any gymnastics in forever so even not great is ok! Beam was wobble city and I can't jump properly off of low bar with the ankle so everything after that suffers a bit, haha. 

It was 54 so I walked home from practice and picked up some groceries. After that, I took a little nap and tidied the house because a friend in town wanted to come over and see Dunkin. After that, I met up with another friend whose dealing with some friend and family medical issues for a very casual/fun night of gaming and dranks. 

Gymnastics: 0 vault, 4 beam, 3 floor, 5 bars

Day 4.7

Sunday, I woke up at 7:30 (after going to bed at 3:30) and couldn't sleep for some reason, so I got up for a few hours and played a little bit of Monster Hunter World before going back to sleep at 11 for an accidental additional 3 hours. Then we had to rush to pick up some things for my friend's dinner party and head over. That took most of the rest of the waking hours of my Sunday, haha.

Gymnastics: 0 vault, 4 beam, 3 floor, 5 bars

Plan for this week...:

M - bench, see how squats feel but do BSS again if back squats are not happening, D&D

T - ohp and dl and maybe front squats

W - interval class at work maybe?

T - grab apps/maybe light dinner with coworkers, gymnastics

F - FIRST 5s LIFTING WORKOUT (bye 10s~)

S - gymnastics

S - rest, eat lots of food, talk shit to people from Philly even though I don't even care about football, something something goat 

• Like 7

i hope your ankle gets better soooooon. the low impact cardioish intervals i found myself doing with bad ankle were high knees (lifting the knee in a controlled manner as high as possible and as fast as possible without actually jumping on you ankle), straight leg "walks" (where you lift your leg straight out and bring your opposite hand around to touch your toes in an exaggerated arc), fast and easy incline pushups, fast and easy dips, and then ab stuff like flutter kicks or supermans. not awesome for getting the heart rate up but better than nothing?

GL at squats tonight!