I need something new and shiny to kickstart 2018, so I got myself a brand new battle log! :D I have a whooole bunch of shinies to chase this year,  it's going to be great. My plan is to screw the four week SMART goal framework and chase them on my own terms, i.e. inefficient and haphazard, but with gusto. :P Everyone keeps telling me you can't do everything at once - to that I say pfffft. Here are things you can expect from this log

• Handstands
  • Climbing
  • Aerial
  • Pole
  • Flow
  • Acrobatics
  • Flexy things
  • Strengthy things
  • ???

Oh and fooood!

Goal thingies 2018

Because what's new year without setting way too ambitious goals? :) 

Fitness goals

The big theme for the year is to improve my freedom of movement. 

Upside downness

Handstands every day yo! Yup, the whole year. (2/365)

Flooow

I have a bunch of Marlo Fisken flow videos. I want to master them

Scary stuff

This is a big one, I'm such a scaredy cat and I've developed a bunch of weird mental hangups this past year

• Tuck and straddle jump to HS
  • Forearm stand
  • HS to bridge
  • Back walkovers
  • HS forward roll
  • Honestly, pretty much any kind of tumbling
  • Some kinds of pole HS
  • Heel kips
  • Topping out when climbing

Stop hurting myself

Less fun but oh so necessary. A little more focus on prehab won't hurt me.

Other

Some other more or less vague goals

• Climb 3 6cs
  • Become strengthier (better push ups, moar pull ups)
  • Run a little
  • Play on my new toy - an indoor aerial rig :D  
  • Don't take things so seriously

Other goals

• Cook 100 new recipes (0/100)
  • Read 50 books (1/50)
  • Travel somewhere cool
  • To contradict the last goal I also want to increase my savings by €10000
  • Use my hands more
  • Get a non-movement based hobby

I really don't expect to nail many of these goals, but that's not what new year's is about right? :P 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

original.gif

• Like 2

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Day 1

Sleeeepy new year's day. I slept over at my friends' house to avoid people, went for a nice snowy walk together with X and their pup, then chilled for the rest of the day. Rolled around the floor occasionally. Did a few handstands focusing on keeping my legs reeeally straight. Only a few though because my elbow objected a little still.

Day 2

Just a good day! Full of energy and in a happy dancy mood. Even though I adulted a whole bunch. I cleaned the bathroom and kitchen, hoovered, took out the recycling and did two batches of laundry. Adulting WIN! :o I only need to mop the floor and finally my flat will be properly habitable again. :P 

I also read Stardust. Such a lovely little book. Though I think I loved the Gaiman's short essay on myths and their power at the end of the book even more.

I also played with a really fun handstand drill I "came up with". Cartwheeling into a handstand, then bringing the legs up and down again (and repeat once or twice in the few more stable attempts) and finally finishing the cartwheel. Did some push ups. And a weird made up core exercise - going from plow pose to shoulder stand while holding an exercise ball with my feet. Pretty fun. :) 

I've been thinking about goals and why I can't seem to stick to them. I don't have any conclusions, except that what I think works best for me is to simply make time and space for me to move and play, both physical space and mental space. It seems like I only train hard when I feel like it, not when someone tells me to. Even if that someone is me. ;)  

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Don't take things so seriously

best one, but all of them such awesome goals, yesssssssssssss

You definitely work best when you're playful, it's what I love about you and what inspires me and brings me back when I get too serious myself. Have a great big healthy blast this year!!

• Like 2

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

I like your drills. :D 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

20 hours ago, sylph said:

In on this. :)

Awesome!

20 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

best one, but all of them such awesome goals, yesssssssssssss

You definitely work best when you're playful, it's what I love about you and what inspires me and brings me back when I get too serious myself. Have a great big healthy blast this year!!

Thank you! I'm curious to see how this will work out, but to be fair, it's not like it can get much worse. :P 

1 hour ago, annyshay said:

Hatter’s Shiny New Battle Log!

I have been enjoying grand intentions in addition to “goals”. Maybe 2018 is the year for MOAR PLAY? ;)

I always approve of moar play. :) 

1 hour ago, raptron said:

I like your drills. :D 

They're good fun. :D 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

Ooh, did you get a new toy then, or is it a planned future purchase?!

MY TOYS ARRIVED TODAY! :D But I have to wait for another WEEK for the rig... :( 

I got an aerial hoop, and a aerial yoga hammock thing (that I've no idea what to do with :P) and a new hula hoop as a preemptive measure. (I seem to make one/buy one/lose one every year and every summer I get sad I don't have one.)

SQUEEE!

• Like 7
29 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I got an aerial hoop, and a aerial yoga hammock thing (that I've no idea what to do with :P) and a new hula hoop as a preemptive measure. (I seem to make one/buy one/lose one every year and every summer I get sad I don't have one.)

SQUEEE!

ooooooh, such shiny indeed :love-struck:

• Like 1

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

33 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

SQUEEE!

Sleep in it, of course!

And oooooh :-)

• Like 1

I tried to do handstands, but they SUCKED today. Zero control. Zero body tension. I messed around with my hula hoop instead, and discovered I have to stick to on body hooping as the tape leaves scuff marks when it crashes into the wall. (Totally meant to do that :hopelessness:)

I also spend a few hours weighing veggies for my farmer's food circle thingie. I haven't bought veggies from there in forever, first because I couldn't make Wednesdays and then because I kinda forgot about it, but now I have the fridge full of nommy veggies and I get to feel like a useful person. :) It's pretty dull work, but for a few hours it's also oddly relaxing. 

More importantly, as I was writing in @lucky fire dragon's dragon I started to wonder why knee hangs were called hocks hangs in circus and what hocks even were and now I'M SUPER CONFUSEDz - HUMANS DON'T HAVE HOCKS, HORSES HAVE HOCKS! 

• Like 2
On 1/3/2018 at 2:04 AM, Mad Hatter said:

The big theme for the year is to improve my freedom of movement. 

Nice! This is exactly what I am thinking of for my primary 2018 focus.  Still have no idea what I want to focus on first, or how exactly I plan to improve this, but on the other hand, I still have most of the year to work out the details :) 

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

20 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I tried to do handstands, but they SUCKED today. Zero control. Zero body tension. I messed around with my hula hoop instead, and discovered I have to stick to on body hooping as the tape leaves scuff marks when it crashes into the wall. (Totally meant to do that :hopelessness:)

there are those days... now you have one less of them, call it done and dusted ;)

I also spend a few hours weighing veggies for my farmer's food circle thingie. I haven't bought veggies from there in forever, first because I couldn't make Wednesdays and then because I kinda forgot about it, but now I have the fridge full of nommy veggies and I get to feel like a useful person. :) It's pretty dull work, but for a few hours it's also oddly relaxing. 

Same here with the veggie farmer across the corner right in the fields with me. He's open for sale on Fridays and do you think I manage to go?? Well, last year I managed a few times at least, but from March on I'm sincerly aiming to become regular! There's just no food fresher than that and yes, it does make us feel so grounded and good and proper, doesn't it :D

More importantly, as I was writing in @lucky fire dragon's dragon

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu :love_heart:

I started to wonder why knee hangs were called hocks hangs in circus and what hocks even were and now I'M SUPER CONFUSEDz - HUMANS DON'T HAVE HOCKS, HORSES HAVE HOCKS! 

That is such a weird one, now that you mention it! Never ever thought about it, now it probably won't let me go :P

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Nice! This is exactly what I am thinking of for my primary 2018 focus.  Still have no idea what I want to focus on first, or how exactly I plan to improve this, but on the other hand, I still have most of the year to work out the details :) 

Plenty of time! :D 

3 hours ago, Twilight said:

What a shiny new battle log! Woooooo goals!!

So shiny!

2 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

there are those days... now you have one less of them, call it done and dusted ;)

Unfortunately with handstands that's not how it works. :P The crappy days when your balance is complete shit never go away, even for the pros. Handstands are an exercise in handling frustration more than anything else haha. :D 

2 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

That is such a weird one, now that you mention it! Never ever thought about it, now it probably won't let me go :P

Hahaha I wish I haven't thought of it either, it's going to haunt me forever now too. At least I can spread it to everyone else mwhahah. 

• Like 1

Climbing was pretty meh today. I did all of 2 6a's, and projected a few hard 6b's. I didn't get very far on any of them as they were all quite heavy and I didn't have a very strengthy day. My lats and upper back are reeeally sore and stiff for some reason, I guess it must've been after the handstands two days ago??? Seems odd. I did have a few small wins though - a got a few moves in on a climb that I couldn't even start before christmas. And I did almost all of a suuuuper scary climb. And not just scary by my standard. Then I went back to try again and I got one really scary move further. After that I had enough though, it wasn't fun enough to warrant another scary attempt. 

Afterwards I worked dragon flag negatives, man they SUCK when your bum's got bigger. :D 

During the day I also did a few handstands and some hooping, but only for a few minutes each.

Tomorrow my plan is to take give my lats and shoulders and wrists some well needed love and maybe do a bit of backbending.

• Like 6