3 hours ago, raptron said:

Haaaaaaaha. Such kind coworkers. ;)

The kindest. 

I was chatting to my boss yesterday and mentioned that now my travel ban is over I can finally go traveling again. His reply - oh shame, we've imposed a travel ban this year. But only for you. :rolleyes:

55 minutes ago, annyshay said:

Assassin!!!

B)

• Like 1

I GOTS TOYZ! :D 

It's awesome, my flat looks like a miniature aerial studio now! :P Rigging was a bit of a bitch tbh, until I found a good way to use my toes that is. :D I did get offered a hand but I'm stubborn and I wanted to find out for myself how it works and how difficult it is. The worst bit was when a bit got stuck and I had to phone a friend to give me advice on how to make it unstuck. Luckily it worked!

I played a bit on my lyra, until I got nauseated from the spinning and had to go for a walk outside in the cool air... I thought it was only on spin pole I had that problem but apparently that's not the case. Hopefully I'll get used to it but for now I've removed the swivel as it's working a bit too well haha. It also gives me a bit more height to play with, which is a scarce commodity. I really wish I had more ceiling height but alas. It still works, it just makes inverts and anything under the bar rather awkward. And more strenuous as I have to start the movement from that awkward position and I'm not strong enough to do that. It was fun though! I went through the video below to try and remember some stuff and I can still do most things (not prettily though), except for getting into the hip holds and the pull over because of said weakness and awkwardness.

One thing that I had forgotten/suppressed was how much lyra hurts. Eeek! But it's so fun with new toys!

The aerial yoga sling only got the briefest of attention, I did the classic bat hang thing and one or two other things. :) But not much more than that. I've bookmarked some videos though so I'll have a play soon. 

Writing this I just remembered I should do some handstands, but it will be the most minimal of minimal efforts as it's getting late and my elbows are a bit unhappy after all the hanging.

But I'm super happy! :D 

• Like 10
1 minute ago, @mu said:

Fantastic news! Somebody's gonna hurt tomorrow :lol: Enjoy yourself!

When you are standing, where does the bottom of the hoop reach exactly?

:D:D 

Nipple height, when I rig it without the swivel. When I hang with straight arms and my legs at 90 degrees I just about clear the floor in an active hang, in a passive hang my butt's on the floor. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Nipple height, when I rig it without the swivel. When I hang with straight arms and my legs at 90 degrees I just about clear the floor in an active hang, in a passive hang my butt's on the floor. 

I see, a tad bit annoying, but it's not too bad given the constraints really. How about above? Do you have space to pull over on the top part?
It's a 1-point hoop?
I was watching the video in the metro, it's a good collection to go through! The Iron Fanny totally cracked me up though :D:D Watching single knee hocks got me all gniiiiii gniiii again, I think it was one of the most painful things for me on trapeze.

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

11 hours ago, sylph said:

YAY NEW TOYS!!

11 hours ago, Twilight said:

Oooh lyra and yoga hammock! Niiiice.

1 minute ago, WhiteGhost said:

Yay for the new toizzz!

YAY! :D 

1 hour ago, @mu said:

I see, a tad bit annoying, but it's not too bad given the constraints really. How about above? Do you have space to pull over on the top part?
It's a 1-point hoop?
I was watching the video in the metro, it's a good collection to go through! The Iron Fanny totally cracked me up though :D:D Watching single knee hocks got me all gniiiiii gniiii again, I think it was one of the most painful things for me on trapeze.

It's not too bad, and I'm not planning on using it for serious training anyway. These are my toys! I'll go to class when I want proper training. If I lower the hoop I should have enough space at the top. But there are plenty of ways I can get into moves, they might just be less orthodox for now. ;) Later on when I get stronger I can work towards nice inverts/pull overs from 90 degrees.

Yeah it's a 1-point. I think it's the most suitable for the space. I'd love to play with a flippy lyra, they look so fun, but those definitely require more space.

Iron Fanny is the best name ever, cracked me up as well :D 

• Like 6
22 hours ago, @mu said:

The Iron Fanny totally cracked me up though :D:D 

21 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Iron Fanny is the best name ever, cracked me up as well :D 

The person I train with sometimes who’s training to be a teacher was practising this on Tuesday night, as apparently she has to be able to demonstrate it in order to be a teacher.  It’s not one I aspire to, tbh!

On 09/01/2018 at 8:20 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Definitely doable - I end up with the hoop that kind of height a lot of the time (hopefully new space that’s coming will have higher ceilings).  Pullover into hip hang also doable though I find I have to give a huge pull with my arms to get me over.  

I’d found that series of videos too.  I’m planning on using the pole ones to help with my pole self practice once I have time to do it when I’m not sore.

Hope the bruising’s not too bad today!  I have a very high inner thigh bruise from my hip hands that I’m not even sure how it was possible to get!

On 1/10/2018 at 3:08 AM, Mad Hatter said:

I went through the video below to try and remember some stuff and I can still do most things (not prettily though), except for getting into the hip holds and the pull over because of said weakness and awkwardness.

That is pretty cool if you can do all of those.  The very first thing (pike mount) is pretty much impossible for me.  I can't figure out for the life of me how to get both of my feet under the bar at the same time.  I always have to go one leg at a time to get into a hock hang... (Also, why isn't this just called a knee hang? )

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

4 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

The person I train with sometimes who’s training to be a teacher was practising this on Tuesday night, as apparently she has to be able to demonstrate it in order to be a teacher.  It’s not one I aspire to, tbh!

Me neither, it's a bit of a stupid trick anyway.

4 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

Definitely doable - I end up with the hoop that kind of height a lot of the time (hopefully new space that’s coming will have higher ceilings).  Pullover into hip hang also doable though I find I have to give a huge pull with my arms to get me over.  

I’d found that series of videos too.  I’m planning on using the pole ones to help with my pole self practice once I have time to do it when I’m not sore.

Hope the bruising’s not too bad today!  I have a very high inner thigh bruise from my hip hands that I’m not even sure how it was possible to get!

To be fair, I've never really had much practice with pullovers and never quite got the hang of the coordination. I've always ended up either flailing or trying to do it completely strict, neither works very well. :P With the low hoop it feels even more awkward.  If you have any tips I'm happy to hear! 

No bruises, at least no more than usual from climbing/crashing into door frames. ;) But I also didn't work on any particular trick, I find the real bruising comes from repeating tricks over and over again! My knee pits are quite tender though, they are very much deconditioned at this point...

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

That is pretty cool if you can do all of those.  The very first thing (pike mount) is pretty much impossible for me.  I can't figure out for the life of me how to get both of my feet under the bar at the same time.  I always have to go one leg at a time to get into a hock hang... (Also, why isn't this just called a knee hang? )

Maybe you'll find that with your new and improved flexibility it's easier. :) You need a decent pike and pretty strong compression to be able to pike mount with ease as there's not much space between the hoop the feet.

It's fine to use knee hang, and I'm only calling it that from now on as I don't have any hocks!

• Like 3

Not the best day yesterday. I felt extremely tired all day, like I was catching a cold or something. I've started experimenting with an HRV app and it also told to me rest, so that's what I did. I did do a token wall handstand but it was pretty pointless.

Instead I stayed up too late working, I was on a roll and it was nice to feel productive for once.:P I've been slacking/procrastinating something awful lately so I didn't mind it this once. Ok maybe not slacking, but my productivity has definitely plummeted. I haven't been lazy on purpose, it's just that lately I've been asked to do a bunch of tasks that I have no idea how to do and getting started on them has say come with a lot of inertia. And when I read the documentation my eyes just glaze over as there are so many things I don't know. Then I feel dumb and like I'm not living up to expectations because everyone keeps forgetting that this is all new to me and I don't have a clue what I'm doing.

I have to say that when I took this job I didn't realize just how much knowledge I'd obtained in my previous job and how much the sudden drop in seniority and understanding would bother me! For example, even though I can get something to work I'm often not sure whether my solution is a good one or if there are glaringly obvious issues to everyone but me. And because of the nature of the application it's often difficult to play with thing and try to break them and even I can it's still hard to tell how it will behave when it's out in the wild... Gah. It seems like I just really don't like not knowing everything haha. :P 

Anywho, today I feel better and it's Thursday which means climbing. :D Goal for today is to try stuff and not get grumpy when I fail. ;) 

• Like 8
6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Goal for today is to try stuff and not get grumpy when I fail. ;) 

Challenging! I'm not very good at that part either. :P 

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

5 hours ago, sylph said:

Sounds like an excellent goal. I should apply that to various areas of my life.

20 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

Challenging! I'm not very good at that part either. :P 

Well today I successed! :D 

I had a reeally fun session, I did a whole bunch of climbs, 4 of which I initially thought no freaking way, this is too scary or I’m not strong enough or I’m going to slip and faceplant. :) But I did them! I think I did 3 6bs and maybe 5 6as? So more volume than usual too, which is good as I really need it. Projecting is great but sometimes I find I spend all my time projecting which means not much climbing is being done. 

Then I tried slightly harder problems, this is when I started failing and had to not get grumpy about being too weak. :P Instead I did the problem a few times over and over again, trying to hold the heavy position for as long as possible. Now my pecs hurt. :D But I feel good for trying hard!

• Like 8
19 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Then I tried slightly harder problems, this is when I started failing and had to not get grumpy about being too weak. :P Instead I did the problem a few times over and over again, trying to hold the heavy position for as long as possible. Now my pecs hurt. :D But I feel good for trying hard!

AND not getting grumpy. :D 

• Like 2

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Me neither, it's a bit of a stupid trick anyway.

To be fair, I've never really had much practice with pullovers and never quite got the hang of the coordination. I've always ended up either flailing or trying to do it completely strict, neither works very well. :P With the low hoop it feels even more awkward.  If you have any tips I'm happy to hear! 

Funny you should ask - tonight the hoops were placed especially low and we had to do pullovers, front balances and hip holds again.  Low meaning about belly height.  I failed a few times then got the hang of it.  Bend knees ever so slightly if necessary (you might not need to if you have it nipple height).  Then pull through the arms, tuck, head back, hip thrust.  I think the last point is what allowed me to get it - I seemed not to be able to muscle through with the arms as I would ordinarily do so needed that hip thrust to propel me upwards enough.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, raptron said:

AND not getting grumpy. :D 

Quite the opposite! :) (It might have helped that I did well in the beginning ;) ) 

1 hour ago, Twilight said:

Great work! So climby!

Climby climb climb!

44 minutes ago, LouCarJo said:

Funny you should ask - tonight the hoops were placed especially low and we had to do pullovers, front balances and hip holds again.  Low meaning about belly height.  I failed a few times then got the hang of it.  Bend knees ever so slightly if necessary (you might not need to if you have it nipple height).  Then pull through the arms, tuck, head back, hip thrust.  I think the last point is what allowed me to get it - I seemed not to be able to muscle through with the arms as I would ordinarily do so needed that hip thrust to propel me upwards enough.  

The last point is the one I don't get. :P In theory I get it, in practice I don't know how to generate that force - and without dropping my legs...