8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

The last point is the one I don't get. :P In theory I get it, in practice I don't know how to generate that force - and without dropping my legs... 

We practised on the floor first, which helped.  Lie on your back with legs slightly bent then use the hip thrust to bring them up (and your hips off the floor).

10 hours ago, MikeWazowski said:

Yay climbing!!! I noticed the climbing gym next to my dance studio on my drive home today and totally thought of you and your gravity-defying habits!

Not getting grumpy is so hard. I need to remember that this weekend in dance practice.

Well now that's convenient. Should try it. ;) 

Yes it is. But it's such a useless reaction.

3 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

We practised on the floor first, which helped.  Lie on your back with legs slightly bent then use the hip thrust to bring them up (and your hips off the floor).

Into a shoulder stand type thing? I guess that is the same movement, and I do understand that... Hmm, it's probably more of a coordination issue. If I pull too hard I end up too close to the bar and can't bring my legs up. If I then tuck backwards I don't have the strength to bring my legs up unless they're bent, which won't get me over. When I try to do the movements dynamically all together (like I'm supposed to) it all ends up a flailing mess because I can't time it right. I'm going to play around with it and see if I can figure it out. MOAR practice!

• Like 2

The thing that worked for me was to offset the timing just a hair, so I pull with my arms first and then kick my legs once I have just a little momentum. If I try to do everything at the same time I end up with my balance all wrong and I can't get my center of gravity over the bar

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

22 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

The thing that worked for me was to offset the timing just a hair, so I pull with my arms first and then kick my legs once I have just a little momentum. If I try to do everything at the same time I end up with my balance all wrong and I can't get my center of gravity over the bar

Makes sense. Except when I try to do that I end up pulling too much, or rather I end up pulling too much upwards rather than upwards and tilting back. But I’ll keep that in mind next time I try!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Well now that's convenient. Should try it. ;) 

Haha I am considering it! But I’m pretty sure I’m at or near max training recovery as is, so something would have to give. At the very least, I’m keeping it in my pocket for a fun, active date night.

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Yes it is. But it's such a useless reaction.

Truth. But I’m the king of useless reactions, so I gotta hang onto my crown with a little grumpiness.

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

So a few weeks back I came across a practically ancient video that @KB Girl took of me climbing, or rather me failing a climb over and over and over again. :P Looking at it I could see I was being a bit of an idiot in the video for not getting the beta (the sequence of moves), but what struck me hard was the sheer stubbornness and number of attempts my past self gave that climb. And I realised that lately, even though I've been climbing and pushing myself, maybe I haven't actually been trying? I mean really really trying. And honestly it's been bothering me a little since then. Because climbing is all about trying really hard.

Well today, for the first time in probably two years (!) I tried really frickin' hard! I'm really terrible at dynos (climbing move where you have to let go with both hands and jump to the next hold) but I felt good and thought it'd be good practice. I ended up spending nearly an HOUR trying it over and over again, until I finally stuck it!!!! :D:D:D It only cost me two bloody fingers and a tonne of frustration. ;) But it was worth it, and I'm actually really proud of myself. It was so cool to feel the transformation in my movement, from barely trying in the beginning to flying towards the end! Even if progress was glacial at best.

At first I could not understand what the hell I was doing wrong, and people kept saying that it's all in my head I just need to commit. The problem is that that sort of advice doesn't work with me, there are so many things happening at once that need coordinating that telling me to do more of it (what's it?) simply doesn't compute. But then my friend broke it down more clearly for me and gave me a lot of really good pointers, then later two more people chimed in with advice and eventually it all came together. It was a bit of a group effort haha. Then after all that I didn't even finish the climb, after having climbed for three hours solid I simply didn't have any energy left in the tank to finish the very last move. But I don't care, cause I did the dyno! :D And more importantly, I tried really really hard. Yay!

• Like 14
33 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

So a few weeks back I came across a practically ancient video that @KB Girl took of me climbing, or rather me failing a climb over and over and over again. :P Looking at it I could see I was being a bit of an idiot in the video for not getting the beta (the sequence of moves), but what struck me hard was the sheer stubbornness and number of attempts my past self gave that climb. And I realised that lately, even though I've been climbing and pushing myself, maybe I haven't actually been trying? I mean really really trying. And honestly it's been bothering me a little since then. Because climbing is all about trying really hard.

Well today, for the first time in probably two years (!) I tried really frickin' hard! I'm really terrible at dynos (climbing move where you have to let go with both hands and jump to the next hold) but I felt good and thought it'd be good practice. I ended up spending nearly an HOUR trying it over and over again, until I finally stuck it!!!! :D:D:D It only cost me two bloody fingers and a tonne of frustration. ;) But it was worth it, and I'm actually really proud of myself. It was so cool to feel the transformation in my movement, from barely trying in the beginning to flying towards the end! Even if progress was glacial at best.

At first I could not understand what the hell I was doing wrong, and people kept saying that it's all in my head I just need to commit. The problem is that that sort of advice doesn't work with me, there are so many things happening at once that need coordinating that telling me to do more of it (what's it?) simply doesn't compute. But then my friend broke it down more clearly for me and gave me a lot of really good pointers, then later two more people chimed in with advice and eventually it all came together. It was a bit of a group effort haha. Then after all that I didn't even finish the climb, after having climbed for three hours solid I simply didn't have any energy left in the tank to finish the very last move. But I don't care, cause I did the dyno! :D And more importantly, I tried really really hard. Yay!

I love everything about this post.

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Well today, for the first time in probably two years (!) I tried really frickin' hard!

Awesome! Way to go!

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Well today, for the first time in probably two years (!) I tried really frickin' hard!

This is excellent!!! I vacillate between willing to try super hard and not in my dance practices, this was a good reminder to embrace the grit and try hard when it sucks and feels like I'm making no progress.

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

On 1/14/2018 at 12:12 AM, sylph said:

I love everything about this post.

On 1/14/2018 at 12:31 AM, KB Girl said:

Me too!! Really awesome <3

On 1/14/2018 at 1:24 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Awesome! Way to go!

On 1/14/2018 at 8:17 AM, @mu said:

This is great!

7 hours ago, annyshay said:

Beast Hatter. :D

Thank youuuuu!!! :D 

On 1/14/2018 at 4:38 AM, MikeWazowski said:

This is excellent!!! I vacillate between willing to try super hard and not in my dance practices, this was a good reminder to embrace the grit and try hard when it sucks and feels like I'm making no progress.

As with everything there needs to be a balance. Going balls to the wall every session doesn't work, unless you want to break yourself. And if the brain's not with it and in fact you are not making any progress then it might be better to call it quits and try again the next session. It's only a problem if you get stuck in lazy mode for months, like I apparently did. :) 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

After Saturday's antics yesterday needed to be a recovery day. :) Unfortunately it ended up a waste all day doing nothing day... I seem to struggle with getting going on Sundays lately. Need to do something about that.

Me too!  I got upset then went to see Coco (along with half my street it seemed...)

• Like 1
On 1/13/2018 at 4:39 PM, Mad Hatter said:

At first I could not understand what the hell I was doing wrong, and people kept saying that it's all in my head I just need to commit. The problem is that that sort of advice doesn't work with me, there are so many things happening at once that need coordinating that telling me to do more of it (what's it?) simply doesn't compute. 

A lot of advice for things like that just sounds like "just do it right next time" to me and I'm like no kidding!:lol:

GO YOU!!

• Like 2

SUNDAYS ARE HARD. 

But I am soooo happy you found your grit and determination on Saturday. :D

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

On 1/15/2018 at 4:42 PM, LouCarJo said:

Me too!  I got upset then went to see Coco (along with half my street it seemed...)

Good solution. :) 

On 1/15/2018 at 4:49 PM, Twilight said:

A lot of advice for things like that just sounds like "just do it right next time" to me and I'm like no kidding!:lol:

GO YOU!!

Right?! :D I mean for most people saying things like "jump" makes sense, but I'm like "uhhh how do I jump again"? :P 

THANKS!

4 hours ago, raptron said:

SUNDAYS ARE HARD. 

But I am soooo happy you found your grit and determination on Saturday. :D

Me too, it was awesome!! Such a mental shift! 

• Like 1

Yesterday was too much Monday.

Today was just... too much. :D I had the most ridiculous day. Comedy flustercluck I tell ya.

1. I put whole coffee beans in my French press. Didn't notice until I poured boiling water over them. DOH!
  2. I hurt my finger nail so it's all bruised and bloody underneath the nail. By using, wait for it, a salad spinner. Yep.
  3. I poured balsamic vinegar instead of oil into a hot frying pan.
  4. When I finally managed to make my coffee I spilled it all over the floor.
  5. And for the cherry on top - the key to my flat broke and I had to call a friend with spare keys to come rescue me.

BUT - I managed to NOT hurt myself climbing, which was my only goal for today. :D Now that I call success! 

• Like 11

So if people tell you climbingis dangerous you can say, no salad prepping is dangerous.;) Hopefully you have now worked out all the Monday jinxes for the year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27