• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Starkanda

Finally Breaking Out of Tutorial Mode

Happy New Year!

I was hoping to join this month's challenge in a guild forum, but let's face it, I ate through the holidays (I DID successfully complete my fast on the Solstice however, one of my quests) and only exercised about a third of what I wanted to. Days are so short now and the Holidays and kids kept me so busy, to the point of burnout at times. I learned some things about my habits, and have a few mental tools at my disposal that I didn't have before, so all is not lost!

New year, junk is out of the house, and we don't have every weekend planned with some event!

Without further ado, my quests:

1. A daily exercise routine of 10 pushups (I can only do the easy ones for now), 10 situps (I discovered last night I can't do more than crunches FOR NOW), 10 squats. Each new week, I plan to add 2 more reps. I'm hoping to keep this up throughout the year. I can always find time for this quick routine.

2. On work days, finish the 2.2L water bottle I keep at my desk.

3. Keep the eating "clean", I'm not going to complicate this more than no bread and no sweets (exception, dark 85+ chocolate)

4. Take the time for a relaxing bath at least once a week.

5. Successfully complete the Daniel Fast from the 8th to the 28th. It's something my coworker is doing with her church, I'm going to do it too, for moral support and to scrub up my eating for a bit. Basically it's whole food vegan, water to drink. 3 weeks, we can get through it, still plenty of satisfying things to eat. Who knows, maybe I'll get some kind of religious experience out of it too! :adoration::angel:

Hey everybody, WE GOT THIS!

13 hours ago, Starkanda said:

I'm not going to complicate this more than no bread and no sweet

I'm glad, cause even that is quite the goal! I don't know but for me this would be near impossible, i'm a huge bread lover, though with the sweets i got no problem, but tackling both of them at the same time. You are brave. Don't worry about scaling down, if things are getting to rough, pick one, build the habit, introduce the other when the habit has solidified!

Take the time for a relaxing bath at least once a week.

Ooow this is a good plan, we only have a shower at our house, but i might need to just visit my mom a bit more often...

I was hoping to join this month's challenge in a guild forum,

If you did a challenge before with the Level 1's you can go to a guild if you want. This place is mostly used to get the feeling of the challenges and the forum down. But on the other hand it's also a great place to make friends. So it's up to you, if you want to change into a guild you would have to ask a Guild Leader to move your thread.

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask, you can post them here, or tag me (or someone else) in a post by using (@ + username) like this @Mr_Willes.

Have a good challenge!

• Like 1

hi and happy new year!

I'm working on push-ups in my challenge too. what do you call "easy mode?" I'm working on counter push-ups, and plan to reduce the height until I can do strict floor push-ups. so far this week I have learned that my bathroom counter is a few inches shorter than my kitchen counter, PLUS it's not very wide so my arm width is restricted.... which makes them super challenging (and therefore good for me, obvs). 

Thanks!

So...

So far so good, I'm on again off again with low-carb, so I'm pretty used to not eating much bread. The sweets are tougher for me because it doesn't take much to get a real sweet tooth going! I'm hoping cutting them out for this challenge will help me kick the addiction. It's much easier since I am not *also* restricting fruits, sweet potatoes, and whole grains (as they are, not made into breads and pasta and stuff) and beans. Working on eating these things in their whole forms. In preparation for the fast, I am eating vegetarian for breakfast and lunch, just having a bit of meat at dinner time. 

So far so good, feeling good.

I find myself so stressed out all the time, so forcing myself to slow down and enjoy a good bath will do me some good! I plan to take one tonight :-)

BTW, if all you have is a shower, Aura Cacia makes some aromatherapy shower tablets you toss on the shower floor to make it more spa-like. I used to use them in our old apartment.

I really don't feel right "advancing" out of the level 1 board when I really didn't do what I set out to, and wasn't on much to read, post, or make any friends yet. I have a good feeling about this time!

"Easy" push-ups: I'm doing them on the floor, doing my best to keep flat back, but on my knees. AKA "girl push-ups". I might give counter ones a try, what you're doing sounds good too.

That's it for now, back to work!

@TGP that's a great question, I'm not too sure.

I have interests that are encompassed in several of them, but only the time or fitness level to do so much. Probably Scout? (That's the running/hiking and strength training hybrid I think?) 

I used to do martial arts and some aerial yoga, so when the time comes that I can get into those things again, I'd be leveling in Monk and Assassin.

I noticed none of the guilds really mention team sports. The funny thing is that the one thing I do make time for is ice hockey once a week lol.

14 hours ago, Starkanda said:

@TGP that's a great question, I'm not too sure.

I have interests that are encompassed in several of them, but only the time or fitness level to do so much. Probably Scout? (That's the running/hiking and strength training hybrid I think?) 

I used to do martial arts and some aerial yoga, so when the time comes that I can get into those things again, I'd be leveling in Monk and Assassin.

I noticed none of the guilds really mention team sports. The funny thing is that the one thing I do make time for is ice hockey once a week lol.

Hockey you say? Resident BAMF @Starpuck knows all about that. 

No need to worry too much about fitting a guild 100%, very few people do, and besides, a well rounded fitness routine usually includes lots of stuff. Even we warriors do cardio... we just don't... like it. Or talk about it :D

Your first challenge is a great time to wander around and see what you'd like to do next, and you can always try different things. Great goals and good luck!!

So how has the weekend treated ya?

On 3-1-2018 at 7:10 PM, Starkanda said:

"Easy" push-ups: I'm doing them on the floor, doing my best to keep flat back, but on my knees. AKA "girl push-ups". I might give counter ones a try, what you're doing sounds good too.

I liked to scale them with an elevated space, take the side of a table, chairs, or something else solid and push off of that.

So far so good!

Got in my exercise every day, it isn't much, but I've been sticking to it.

Upped my reps to 12.

Today is day 2 of the Daniel Fast, much less of a shock since I cut back on a lot of meat and sugar and caffeine beforehand.

I also decided as part of this fast that with the exception of this board, I will stop reading any fitness material. I got to thinking that it had become an obsession, and between work and home and kids, I lost interest in anything else. Well, except for cooking!! Nerd fitness calls it collecting underpants, and it's so true. Especially since I've been trying to lose weight for most of my life, I have only minimal success, really hating that I feel like researching fitness is like an identity but here I am still stuck overweight. It sucks. Everyone giving their nerdy introductions, and I felt kinda empty, like I wasn't into much. So I'm going to start branching out and focus my mind on other things. As long as I keep healthy habits, the results just come with patience, not avidly reading fitness blogs. *Sigh*

I still need to give a proper introduction.

Next post!

Cliffs note version of my nerdy interests: Star Wars, Firefly, artist (I still identify this way but haven't done anything meaningful for years), DDR, most Nintendo franchises, Sonic, Stranger Things, Colony, some anime.

Right now mainly focus is on family, as well it should be, got a 3 and 1 year old, they are great, quite the handful and take most of my free time.

Progress report:

I'm glad I checked back here, because I've been very successfully completing most of my quest goals, I actually had to remind myself about a couple.

1. Have done my routine every day. The one day I could only do squats, I made up the other 2 the next day.

2. Water. I almost forgot about this one, so I missed out on all my water a day or two. Nothing drastic. So the reminder/check-in is good.

3. Have kept this one, no bread no sweets. 

4. Baths, ahhhh. Kept up one a week, but I need one soon to not fall behind! 

5. Daniel Fast day 3. So far so good. Even managed to stick to it at a big decadent buffet work took us to. The veggies were great, and found some tofu and beans there.

Wasn't going to weigh myself, but whoops haha, lost 2 lb :-)

Update: 

1. Exercises. Keeping up with it. I'm able to do some regular sit ups now, so I'll start throwing some of those in. I add in a few squats or push ups some days if I think about it. It's a modest thing, but I'm making it a habit to exercise, and I am feeling a bit stronger. Today I am now at 18x/day for the exercises.

2. Water. I've been drinking my water, finishing my bottle at work.

3. Clean eating. Stuck with my basics. No bread or sweets this month. I'm not happy with the amount of dates I ate the past week during some stressful times, but I haven't had any refined sugars or other sweeteners at all.

4. Baths. The best! Getting my relaxation in, a bit of reading, it's been good.

5. Daniel Fast. Completed! Today I broke the fast with coffee, and will be enjoying Korean BBQ with my colleagues for lunch. No big breakthroughs, but I learned some great recipes and ways I will be incorporating more produce into my diet. I loved spending time just eating healthy foods. I've spent so much time on diets where even many healthy foods are out because of carbs or fat content, I liked not being afraid to eat such things as fruit, whole grains, beans, etc. I'm hoping my intestinal flora got a much needed reset. 

I also think I know what path to take for next month's challenge! Looking into getting into martial arts again, so I may go with the monks!

At any rate, I'm so happy the finish is in sight for my third "first time challenge", I'm doing it!!!

Woo hoo! I completed my challenge, stuck with it the whole time. Since this is the third one I've started, it's the first one I've seen it through. 

Definitely a good tutorial mode this time around. I've got some good habits started, a bit of daily exercise, taking time for myself, learned some new healthy recipes, and now working on eating more appropriate portions.

Quests:

1. Completed my daily routine every day (a couple make ups) A

2. Drank my bottle most days (skipped maybe 2?) B+

3. Stuck with no bread no sweets (had a single piece of bread and a bite of birthday cake at a party, that's it, during Daniel Fast, not even the 85% chocolate) A

4. Completed my Daniel Fast without straying. A+

5. Relaxing bath with the orange blossom oil hubby got me for Christmas and a book <3 Every week! A+

I'm starting to think of the next challenge, probably joining the monks. I miss my past life of martial arts and am feeling the urge to kick some ass!

I just joined a Dietbet that starts in 2 days, so I don't get a full week break. Oh well! 

See you soon

• Like 1