HAPPY NEW YEAR, ASSASSINS!! 

giphy.gif

I'm here! I'm ready to kick some ass after a solid end to 2017! (To be honest I had a shit end of 2017, including two funerals and a polar vortex. And I still managed to get my workouts done, read my books, save money...I feel good about it.)

I'm about 85% of the way through my yearly goal setting activity. I reduced my areas of attention from six to seven, which feels great.  I think I'm ready to start tackling some diet improvements, so one goal is to include at least one diet-related quest in each challenge.

An overall theme for the year is letting go, of material possessions, of worry, of obligations--and keeping new things to a minimum. 

Quest #1: Work out three times per week. 

I've set a slightly higher goal for 2018 (120 workouts for the year, ~15% more workouts).  So, once again we have the old reliable of challenge goals. 

giphy.gif

Quest #2: Journal three times a week about food-related subjects. 

This can be working through the Nerd Fitness Academy diet modules, or some handouts I have about emotional eating, or something new and intriguing. But I'd like to take the start of the year to just do some thinking about what I eat, what I want to eat, and why. 

giphy.gif

Quest #3: Carrots for days. 

I will make sure I have carrots & some kind of healthy/protein-y dip (greek yogurt/hummus/guacamole) on hand every work day.

giphy.gif

Quest #4: Finish kickstarter!!

The rewards have lingered too long. Get these out the door by end of the month. 

Remaining tasks: 

• Proof the books
  • Create & proof the cards
  • Print books
  • Print cards
  • Write handwritten versions
  • Stitch the towel versions* (can go into Feb)
  • Write custom poems* (can go into Feb)

giphy.gif

Alright, team! I'm ready to slay!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Traaki, Level 23 Half-Orc Assassin 

Current challenge: traaki gets some sun. Just a little. * Respawned on June 25, 2018

Previous: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Epic QuestBattlelog

Week 1 check-in! 

GUESS WHAT I GOT THE FLUUUUUUU!!!!

giphy.gif

I'm feeling enough better to be back at work, so that's good.  Just feel like I can't catch up lately. 

Quest #1: Work out three times per week. (2/3)

I did two workouts this week, which I'm pretty proud of because flu.

Quest #2: Journal three times a week about food-related subjects. 

Hah no.  Just completely forgot about this last week. 

Quest #3: Carrots for days. 

I didn't really work so I don't think this counts. 

See above re: flu. 

This week I'm going to still be taking it easy and trying to sleeeeeeep soooooo muuuuuuuuuch. But I think I can have a real challenge week and make progress on all of the quests. 

• Like 1

Current challenge: traaki gets some sun. Just a little. * Respawned on June 25, 2018

Previous: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Epic QuestBattlelog

Following back! There is no try. There is no spoon. Get better.

• Like 1

"We can be heroes"

Level 13 Assassin | climbing | meditating | running | writing | bodyweight training | kickboxing | Backyard gym project

Current Challenge39 | 38 | 37 | 36 | 35 | 34 | 33 | 32 | 31 | 30 | 29 | 28 | 27 | 26 | 25 | 24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 1716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

You know what's *not* the best way to start your week? By staying up late on Sunday with your new MTG playing friends. I'm still feeling the effects of it and it's Thursday.  #lifeasanold

BUT, regardless, I'm doing pretty well on the challenge.  I've been focused on getting as much sleep as possible (after that bad start on Sunday). I've journaled twice about food, and I spent some time proofing my kickstarter book.  I can do this! 

• Like 1

End of week two!

Quest #1: Work out three times per week. (3/3)

Woohoo!  

Quest #2: Journal three times a week about food-related subjects. (3/3)

Woohoo!  I'm starting to think I may be trying to pack my lunch again with, maybe, a salad? I haven't been doing any food prep for work...I'm not sure yet what will make me most successful.

Quest #3: Carrots for days. (5/5)

I *had* carrots available to me, but I only ate them one day.  I'm not sure if that's a problem, but I want to try to actually *eat* the carrots three days next week.

I'm about to finish proofing the book, which will be a huge win. 

---

My sister is interested in joining the local YMCA.  I brought this up a while back as something that was giving me anxiety...but now I think I'm ready to do it.  It adds an expense I don't need, but I'm interested in adding a non-bodyweight workout (maybe swimming?) and maybe lifting some actual weights.  We'll see how it goes. Having to put on shoes and be in a public place makes me feel meh, but if there is ever going to be a gym for me, this one is probably it--it's right down the street, it's brand new, and I have a gym buddy.  So we'll see how that goes. 

• Like 1

A new wrinkle: I'm going to be doing a 28-day program to focus on my job search. It's going to take a lot of time and might impact my NF challenge.  So, I'm going to add a new quest: 

Quest #5: Check in daily on my job search! 

Of course I hope that I'll be making actual progress in addition to checking in, but for now I just want to make sure I'm keeping it in the foreground. 

• Like 1

Way to nail week 2, hitting all of your goals, congrats! Is there a trial period for the Y where you can see how it works out for you? That would be pretty convenient, though. Good luck with the job search, you've got this. 

Manarelle the Level 55 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

36 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

Way to nail week 2, hitting all of your goals, congrats! Is there a trial period for the Y where you can see how it works out for you? That would be pretty convenient, though. Good luck with the job search, you've got this. 

Thanks, Mana! I felt pretty good about it.  

I'm not sure about a trial period--I'll ask my sister tonight. That would help a lot. 

And thanks for the job search good wishes! Job hunting is the worst. >_>

• Like 1

End of week 3!

Quest #1: Work out three times per week. (3/3)

Quest #2: Journal three times a week about food-related subjects. (1/3)

Next up I want to create a template for a healthy lunch & give it a try. I'm sure there's more journaling I can do but eh.

Quest #3: Carrots for days. (4/4, 1/4)

I had carrots available to me four days of four, but only actually ate them one day. I'm going to try eating them *before* lunch this week.

Worked on this three days this week. My sister is starting to get concerned (or possibly just annoyed) and is volunteering to help me more.  Which is appreciated. But I think she's not taking into consideration how much time I'm spending on the next item...

I've been keeping a daily journal and have made progress every day but one. I'm using a book called Get Hired Now (which is the job search version of Get Clients Now, which I totally love).  As part of the program, you estimate your work for each day, and I've gotten 8s or better every day on a 10 point scale--so that feels good.   

---

Overall I feel *really overwhelmed* by quests 4 & 5.  Part of me wants to throw everything out the window and focus only on the kickstarter since that is pretty much 100% in my control and I'm tired of having it on my plate. But I don't think that's reasonable. So I'm trying hard to think of other things I can reduce or remove from my plate.  I get frustrated because I already have cut down *SO MUCH* on my obligations; it feels like as I get older I'm just slowing down further and further until I barely get anything done. 

Phew, okay. /rant. I know that's not true. I'm getting lots of things done and most of them are much more important than the things I used to spend my time on.  And the things I focus on tend to have long term effects on my life, rather than instant gratification. It will all work out--just feeling really overwhelmed right now. 

• Like 1

Wow, the last week got away from me. It's already time for the end of week 4!

Quest #1: Work out three times per week. (0/3)

I don't remember the last week I had zero workouts.  My mom is in town and she is lovely and wonderful, but it adds a huge amount of stress to my life for reasons I haven't fully figured out. I used to just work out semi-secretly in my bedroom before coming out to the shared area for the day, but now my sister expects me to work out with her which means it has to be scheduled, which means a lot of stress for me. My days are so filled with sight-seeing/talking/emotional labor stuff that I end up staying up late to decompress. And then I am too tired to work out the next day.

After I missed two last week I just decided I wouldn't be trying to work out while she's in town. I think that was the right decision for this trip. She doesn't visit all that often so it's likely not something to worry about long-term.  Still, it might be worth figuring out a back-up plan going forward--maybe I go for longer walks? I don't know. 

I worked out a basic salad template that I want to tweak, but here's the idea. I have to have something for each category. 

1. Protein -- precooked frozen grilled chicken, kept in work freezer
  2. Greens -- A box, kept in work fridge
  3. Fresh freggie -- e.g. precooked beets, shredded carrots, clementine slices, black beans, kept in work fridge
  4. Fruit -- dried cranberries, etc, kept in desk
  5. Crunchy/salty/fatty toppings -- e.g. croutons, nuts, olives, cheese, kept in work fridge or desk
  6. Dressing -- oil, vinegar, mustard, herbs, kept in desk with small containers for mixing

The plan feels complex & fragile, so I'm not fully committed to it yet.  The idea is that I have to regularly refresh the perishables but keep the other stuff in my desk and only refresh as needed. But I think salads are so much better when you like all the stuff in them. 

Quest #3: Carrots for days. (4/4, 4/4)

It worked! Eating the carrots before lunch meant that I actually ate them! SUCCESS.

I went and bought the calligraphy supplies needed for the handwriting portion, sent my corrections to the printer and all around got a lot closer to finishing. I'm hoping to spend a chunk of time on it this weekend and see if I can get it done!

I did a great job until I took time off work, then the job search disappeared for five days.  I'm doing a 28 day program that *normally* you would just keep rolling, but I'm going to pretend I hit pause on things and resume where I left off instead of skipping the last five days. 

My life will resume its normal pace on Thursday, so I'm hoping I can finish strong with the last few days of the challenge. 

• Like 1

Grats on the successful carrots and salads. Probably a good idea not to stress about workouts when your mother is around, if it happens infrequently and causes you other stressors. Looks like the week hit you with some problems, and you just rolled with it and are picking back up once things clear up - very nice work. Here's to a strong finish, you've got this. 

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 55 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

4 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Here's to a strong finish, you've got this. 

Thank you, Manarelle. <3

So I saw Cirque's Luzia last night and felt really inspired by all the assassin-y things they do....I've been focused for so long on just maintaining my workout schedule and being Groot. I've been toying with trying the GMB Elements course.  So, maybe next challenge I'll have some kind of skill building activity as well....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Cirque du Soleil is a great motivator for assasin-y things, and just overall gorgeous to watch. How'd the end of the challenge go? Have things settled down?

It really was. I definitely stretched a little more intentionally this morning during my cool-down!

End of challenge has been good!

Quest #1: Work out three times per week. (2/3)

I only had time for two this week once my mom left, but I got back on the horse. The first one back was TOUGH (big surprise, right?!) but today was good. 

Based on my (admittedly limited journaling) this coming week I shall attempt The Daily Salad. 

1. Protein -- precooked frozen grilled chicken, kept in work freezer
  2. Greens -- A box, kept in work fridge
  3. Fresh freggie -- frozen corn & canned black beans
  4. Fruit -- dried cranberries
  5. Crunchy/salty/fatty toppings -- glazed pecans & jalapeno fritos (not my idea but I am totally swiping it anyway), maybe some cheese if I'm up to it
  6. Dressing -- salsa to keep it simple this week

These salads are definitely going on the next challenge so this will be the zero week work-out-the-bugs period. 

Quest #3: Carrots for days. (3/4, 2/4)

Mostly just forgot the carrots at home for the first part of the week. 

This whole weekend has been dedicated to making serious progress and I've done so much! I've finished about 30% of the handwritten poems, I'm about to crank out the business card poems, and the book is soooo close to done.  One more proof and then they'll be in my little hands! 

Getting back to it. I was being a little stricter than I needed to be on a few things. The thing that will make me feel most like I'm getting things done is applying to the one job I'm most excited about (well, ASIDE from the one at the Field Museum, but I don't wanna live in Chicago) and formalizing/polishing my code samples. 

Things really are starting to settle down and once I have this kickstarter done, which is coming along at a very nice clip all of a sudden, I'm going to be an unstoppable force!

Or something. I don't know. Probably pretty unstoppable though. 

• Like 1