• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SailorV

Time to stop lurking

Hello!

I’m Virginia and as you might have guessed I am a fan of manga! My gateway manga was Sailor Moon. :) I am also into anime, superheroes (Avidly watching Agents if Shield currently) and reading all sorts of other books. I am also near obsessed with personal style and enjoy Doctor Who.

I am an IT project/office manager type by day, student (studying styling & media) by night, wife and mom 24/7. My son is 3 and he’s hamsome (a handsome ham- I love puns).

My hubby and I joined a gym last year and I began doing weights and yoga a few times a week, and found NF around then. I never became an active member, so I kind of forgot about it. I was looking for at home workouts because I’ll be freezing my gym membership when my semester starts, and rediscovered NF!

My Main Quest is to clean up my diet. I am a vegetarian, and I want to cut fat. I also want more energy to keep up with my busy life.

My smaller quests:

1. Cut processed sugar/simple carbs. I have been a baked good junky my whole life, and I haven’t been able to kick the habit in the past. My husband is also doing a month of no sugar, so I thought I’d try again. I’m hoping someone has ideas for a food that can help curb the craving for a bagel/cake/cookie.

2. Get my coffee drinking down to 6 oz a day. I currently drink 16-24 oz a day. My plan is to gradually reduce the cups I have and replace a cup with green tea.

I’m always biting off more than I can chew, so I wanted to keep my first challenge very simple.

It’s a pleasure to meet you all!

~V

• Like 2

Hi there, and Happy New Year!

As an aspiring vegetarian (about 90% of the way there), I'm really looking forward to your posts on building energy while on a vegetarian diet. I'm also working on cutting down the simple carbs (fellow baked goods enthusiast, here!), so I'd love to hear any strategies you come up with. So far, I've got the worst offenders out of the house, but am still struggling when I'm out and about.

As for the shift from coffee to tea, -- just a thought here -- you could look at rooibos tea as a non-caffeinated alternative. It's a bit more robust than green tea, and could be useful if you're struggling with the switch.

Best of luck with this month's challenges!

10 hours ago, SailorV said:

I’m always biting off more than I can chew, so I wanted to keep my first challenge very simple.

Supersmart! Small goals are easier to ingrain! And let's be honest, with the usual sugar addiction people have, the goal of:

10 hours ago, SailorV said:

1. Cut processed sugar/simple carbs.

Will be a huge quest on it's own, but well worth it!

There is a huge base of homeworkouts you can do. Don't know if you got any weights at home (cause it usually comes down to that) otherwise you could ask around with the assassin guild, they are the masters of bodyweight exercises!

If you have any questions just ask, here, or through tagging (@ + username) like this: @Mr_Willes

oh, did someone say ASSASSINS? 

*poof*

(lolz that never gets old.)

((or less dorky))

(((but considering your "hamsome" comment about your son, hopefully you won't mind...)))

hi there! I'm the assassin ambassador. if you want to work in some bw exercises to your challenge just let me know! like, for example - I'm trying to learn how to do real push-ups in my challenge this time around (I KNOW I KNOW A PUSH-UP-LESS ASSASSIN IT'S SO SILLY) so I'm just making sure to do some push-ups on a counter every day. So far I've had to get out of bed 2x out of 2 to get these done, but I did it!

for foods to replace the pastries and cookies.... there's two ways you can approach this. One thing that works for many people is to say "I don't eat those things any more." like, you would become a pastry vegetarian, you know?

another way is to do strict moderation, and have a certain number that you are permitted to eat during the week. I'm more on team moderation myself, but the trick is really managing portion control. so, this might mean only buying super small quantities, or immediately bringing all your leftovers into the office, etc.

Hi!

Thank you all for the ideas and support! :) I haven’t had products aside from a bit of teriyaki sauce which contain straight up sugar, which is a good step for me. My son wanted muffins so I baked banana muffins with a couple tablespoons of maple syrup instead of sugar- tasted great, but wheat is still a simple carbohydrate and on my kill list. I’m planning to cut back next week.

I am way too lenient with moderation (*cough* not moderate), so I have been saying to myself “I do not eat sweets” and I also announced it to everyone at my office (they smirked).

Coffee has been easier, I haven’t had more than 12 oz a day this week (and I was drinking 24oz before). I experienced some headaches though.

@KayLou For out and about, I have had luck with keeping walnuts or almonds handy. They aren’t low cal, but they really help with my cravings because they’re a little sweet and very filling. 

Hope your challenges are going well!

~V

yes. welcome.

my suggestion is be absolutely without moderation.

but to keep it realistic and specific

for example.

I absolutely WILL not eat any sugary snack between 9 - 5pm Monday.

then repeat.  go from specific little goal to specific little goal.

while absolutely a worthy goal

saying your "cut" out something huge is either vague or hopelessly unrealistic. IMHO

... just some advice

Good luck!

On 7-1-2018 at 12:03 AM, TGP said:

yes. welcome.

my suggestion is be absolutely without moderation.

but to keep it realistic and specific

for example.

I absolutely WILL not eat any sugary snack between 9 - 5pm Monday.

then repeat.  go from specific little goal to specific little goal.

while absolutely a worthy goal

saying your "cut" out something huge is either vague or hopelessly unrealistic. IMHO

... just some advice

Good luck!

While good advice, this doesn't apply to everyone. If you are that someone who is gonna be watchin the clock for 5 PM to open that huge bag of Snicker bars, but at least it's a start to cutting back.

I myself have got no problem with sugary stuff. I was just terrible with beer. One or two in the evening on regular days, three or four when the weather was great and we could be in our garden till late. A few more when my father in law visited (works construction, drinks like a construction worker) and he visits quite often. A few more when there was a BBQ. You name it, everything was an excuse to drink a bit more.

I kicked the can a few weeks even months with absolutely no drinking at all. And now i just enjoy it, but i have to be sensible about it. On thursday evening my daughter goes to the pool for swimming lessons. When i have to accompany her i don't stay at the pool cause right next to the pool is a cafeteria with a huge window in it to oversee the pool. They serve some special Belgium abbey beers there. So i just have one (which fits perfectly in that hour). And i do it completely guild free. Cause, why not enjoy life? It makes refraining other times much more bearable. I just assess a situation and if i think it's special enough i will allow for it. Like that hike we did through the forest with the inlaws, we came about this beautiful pub in the woods, and we all thoroughly enjoyed a beer there. What i nowadays never do is mindless drinking, i make sure i thoroughly enjoy it. 

But it has been a transition, in hindsight, i think i needed the months of complete sobriety, to be able to appreciate the once every while. On the other hand, if my goal is to never eat/drink something again i'm that stubborn ass that won't do it ever again. I can just switch things off and on like that. Like quitting with smoking.

But i'm babbling off again...

• Like 1

cool

ty

More then anything I would say:  "try it" and see what works.  that's (IMHO) Exactly what these challenges are all about

BTW, the ability to turn Something "off" in your life Willes, like that, that is gift.

• Thanks 1

I’ve cut a couple difficult things from my life without problem, and without moderation. First, I quit smoking 4.5 years ago- no looking back. Second, I quit drinking nearly 3 years. Even added sugars hasn’t been that challenging after the initial week (the only added sweetener I’ve had is a small amount of maple syrup). That said, I’ll definitely have cheesecake on my birthday. Other simple carbs has been harder- especially since I didn’t do the grocery shopping last time, so I couldn’t modify which pasta we bought. (Womp womp) I am pleased with myself in that I haven’t caved in on my bagel craving.

On the other hand, I know that I can’t quit coffee. It’s the one thing I refuse to give up. So for that one, I’m just trying to get down to the recommended amount. I worked long shifts and late nights this previous weekend, so I ended up drinking more today than I had been. But I’m planning to go back to 8oz tomorrow. I’m going out of town this upcoming weekend for class, so I’m looking forward to working off of a shot of espresso instead of coffee house coffee (which typically only has 12oz as the small).

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SailorV said:

On the other hand, I know that I can’t quit coffee. It’s the one thing I refuse to give up.

I feel you on that one. I used to drink a ton of coffee and started quitting because I realized how much I was spending on coffee (namely starbucks) and when I started cutting back I realized a lot of things were from me getting too much caffeine. 

Good luck and I look forward to seeing how it goes :)

• Like 1

On 8-1-2018 at 2:37 PM, TGP said:

BTW, the ability to turn Something "off" in your life Willes, like that, that is gift.

Gift, stubbornness... But thanx for the compliment!

Potato, potato

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor potato potatoe

On 9-1-2018 at 2:24 AM, SailorV said:

On the other hand, I know that I can’t quit coffee. It’s the one thing I refuse to give up. So for that one, I’m just trying to get down to the recommended amount.

Smart thinking! Since i don't drink coffee at all (i get gaggy even smelling grinded coffe beans) i really don't have much of a bright idea here, but could you change it up with some sort of tea, or change it up with something else (not looking at coke)? Just so you could lower your consumption?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

Smart thinking! Since i don't drink coffee at all (i get gaggy even smelling grinded coffe beans) i really don't have much of a bright idea here, but could you change it up with some sort of tea, or change it up with something else (not looking at coke)? Just so you could lower your consumption?

Replacing with green tea has been going very well! In fact, today I did 6oz of coffee (and two cups of green tea), which kept me alert. I also ended up drinking more water than normal, too, which is a great side effect!

I have not been so successful with sugar this week. My trip to NYC had me sharing a pumpkin bread Sat & Sun (not terrible, since it was shared), and coming back I felt like “well, I already had sugar this week soooo” and ate an almond croissant and some sugary granola in my yogurt. But I did keep it down to one item containing added sugara day and I won’t have added sugar tomorrow. Saturday is my birthday, so I will eat sugar on that day (as counterintuitive as that is).

Cutting simple carbohydrates also hasn’t been happening. I didn’t plan replacements and we eat various types of pastas throughout the week. If anyone has a suggestion for this, I’d love to know! I want to finish out the month strong.