Kwesadilo deals with injuries

kwesadilo

Adding rep cycling to my program hasn't burned me so far, so I'm going to keep doing that and keep trying to be conservative. I'm not going to make a goal for it this time, though. The main thing getting in the way of my lifts right now is some nagging lower back pain when I squat and do a few other things, so I'm going to try to fix that. Going light didn't seem to work, and taking a break from lifting didn't either, so I think my next step should be seeing a doctor.

Goals

• See a physical therapist. I'm aware of one nearby with a sports medicine focus, or I think just any old doctor with expertise in sports medicine would probably be sufficient as a first step. I've been putting off making an appointment for awhile, because I hate making appointments. In order to complete this goal, I have to actually go to a doctor's appointment before the end of this challenge.
  • Do mobility work at least 4 days a week. I changed up my routine in the last few months, and what I'm doing now seems to be no worse than what I was doing before, so I guess I'll stick with it.
  • Get to bed by 11:30 pm at least 5 nights each week. Probably not tonight.
  • Work on SICP for at least an hour and the half over at least 2 days each week. This was my goal last challenge, and I got pretty close to it. I need to spend more time than I have been if I want to consistently make headway, but I think I need to build up to it gradually.
  • Like 2

"I've got to look like I could kill someone when I take my shirt off." - Daniel Craig

Epic Quest character

Level 13 Human Warrior

STR - 63 DEX - 22 STA - 16 CON - 47 WIS - 48 CHA - 7

Week 1 update

• Doctor: I have a PT appointment for tomorrow, which is good, because tonight's attempt at lifting was by far the most pathetic yet.
  • Mobility: Stretched after working out on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday; did yoga on Saturday and Sunday; and foam rolled on Friday and Sunday.
  • Sleep: Only got to bed on time on Monday and Thursday. Not a great start.
  • SICP: Worked for 30 minutes on Saturday and an hour on Sunday, although, to be honest, I was distracted for a bit of that time. Nevertheless, I did make slight progress on the problem I'm working on.

"I've got to look like I could kill someone when I take my shirt off." - Daniel Craig

Epic Quest character

Level 13 Human Warrior

Belated week 2 update

• Doctor: I went to my PT appointment. Mission accomplished! JK, I've now gone to 4 of what will be at least 6 appointments. I have been assigned various stretches to do. They take up a lot of time, and some of them kind of suck.
  • Mobility: Stretched once on Monday and Tuesday and twice on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
  • Sleep: Only made it to bed on time on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday weren't even close. I have yet to master the art of quitting what I'm doing to go to bed on a night when I know I don't have to get up for anything the next morning.
  • SICP: Did an hour on Wednesday and another hour on Sunday.
  • Like 1

Epic Quest character

Level 13 Human Warrior

On 1/19/2018 at 10:13 AM, Grumble said:

Re: going to bed, do you have a ritual? And have you tried an alarm to remind you to start said process?

I guess I have a ritual, which is that I wash my face, take out my contacts, brush my teeth, and do a number of other, related things. "Ritual" wouldn't be the first word that I would use, though. In terms of the decisions that I make, there is really only one step, which is stopping whatever I was doing and going into the bathroom.

It could be helpful to remind myself to do this, though. I don't forget. I just want to finish more stuff before I go to bed, so I look at the clock and think, "I can keep doing this for another 5 minutes and still get to bed on time." If I were to set an alarm, I'd probably want to set it for 11:00 pm. In practice, the latest that I can start getting ready for bed is 11:13. A lot of times, I try to take it down to the wire, but I think an argument could be made that there are benefits to usually getting to bed a bit early. It would increase the amount of time between when I stop looking at screens and when I'm supposed to go to sleep, and it would encourage me to read before going to sleep, which is probably also conducive to falling asleep faster. At least as long as I'm reading Effective C++.

I would feel a little lame setting alarms to go to bed on the weekend. If I've gotten decent sleep during the week, I can miss bedtime by 30 minutes or an hour, and no harm will come. However, more often than not, if I find myself not wanting to go to bed at 11:30 on a Friday, I will spend the last hour or so that I am awake doing nothing of any value whatsoever, repeatedly refreshing various things on my phone, hoping that something new will pop up, knowing that I should go to bed but now tired enough that I don't feel like getting off the couch. It is a pretty sorry scene. Maybe I should set an alarm. Or configure my Wi-Fi to turn off at like 12:30.

Epic Quest character

Level 13 Human Warrior

Week 3 update

• PT: Nothing has actually happened since my last post. I've had almost no back pain since I started, but that's probably because I've done almost no squatting.
  • Mobility: Stretched twice on the weekdays and once on Saturday and Sunday. Foam rolled on Sunday.
  • Sleep: Got to bed on time on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Sunday.
  • SICP: Didn't do this at all. There were a number of occasions when I blocked out time and then did something else instead.

Epic Quest character

Level 13 Human Warrior

Week 4 update

• PT: I have continued to visit the PT and do my stretches fairly faithfully. I haven't had any back pain in probably over a week, but I haven't squatted in over 2. I think tomorrow is my last visit. I'm not sure what the long-term plan is.
  • Mobility: Stretched at least once every day and foam rolled on Sunday. I don't consider this level of mobility work to be very sustainable. If I do the prescribed stretches as quickly as possible, I'm still spending like 30 minutes a day doing that, and it's eating into some other things I want to do.
  • Sleep: Got to bed on time every night!
  • SICP: Worked for 30 minutes on Saturday. Meant to work for an hour on Sunday, but I bought a desk this week, and I've been slowly assembling it. On Sunday, I just wanted to get it finished and didn't feel like stopping to code, even though it totally could have waited. Perhaps my refreshed work environment will motivate me to spend more time on this.

Epic Quest character

Level 13 Human Warrior

Week 5 update

• PT: I have completed the original treatment plan, and I haven't had any significant back pain for awhile. I did feel a few twinges this weekend after squatting with the bar on Wednesday and Friday. It seems likely that the two things were related, although I also moved some furniture on Friday and Saturday. According to my own video evidence, my squat bar path has not noticeably improved since the last time I squatted.
    My PT originally said I needed to come in for 3 weeks, but he seems to have transitioned into a plan to get me to the point where I can relax into an ass-to-grass squat. I doubt that that is quite necessary to squat to parallel with a loaded bar with correct form, but I do consider it to be fairly desirable goal nevertheless. He has been a bit reticent recently when I've asked him what the long-term plan is. I don't really want to keep paying for medical treatments on a regular basis indefinitely when I'm not even injured anymore. I'll try to find out what the score is tomorrow.
    • I saw a PT. This is 100% accomplished.
  • Mobility: Stretched at least once every day except Thursday. My prescribed routine has changed, and now I am pretty much just stretching my calves and getting into a squat position, which takes a lot less time. Throughout my treatment, my prescribed stretches have mostly replaced the ones that I used to do. This week, I started to notice that my neck and shoulders were getting stiff, so I will have to bring back in some kind of shoulder stretches.
    • I did well more than my goal amount of stretching. I guess having a doctor tell me do something helps. I don't think I could stretch this much in the long term, though. We're talking like 45 minutes a day of just stretching for 3 weeks.
  • Sleep: Got to bed on time Monday through Thursday and Sunday, albeit just barely in some cases.
    • 21/25 days. I could still improve here. I think I will try setting an alarm and see what happens.
  • SICP: Worked for 30 minutes on Sunday. This weekend, I spent a bunch of time moving my stuff from my old desk to my new desk. While doing that, I realized how dirty my computer was and spent a bunch of time cleaning it. I knew that I should work on this on Saturday before I started, because I wouldn't have a place to work on my computer until I was done moving it. But I started moving my stuff anyway, and I didn't get things back together until Sunday afternoon. I could have done another hour on Sunday, but instead I went to a friend's house to watch the Patriots lose. I don't regret that decision, but I could have handled this better.
    • 6/10 days. I haven't been making time for this lately. I wanted to spend more time reading over the winter holidays, and I started leaving my house to go to a coffee shop, so that I wouldn't be distracted by the stuff I have at home. It might help for me to buy a laptop, so I could do that with programming projects. It seems stupid to buy a whole laptop for that purpose though. I wouldn't really use it for anything else, and there's technically no reason I can't do this at home.

Epic Quest character

Level 13 Human Warrior