• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Borg Queen

Journal Prompts

josemoleskine4.jpg

Is keeping a journal part of your goals? Looking for camaraderie, inspiration, or simply something to write about? Well, you've come to the write place!

Directions:

1) Introduce yourself

2) Tell us your favorite writing prompt.

3) (OPTIONAL) Share!

I mainly started this thread because I have trouble writing in my journal. I wrote constantly in journals as a kid and a teen, but got busy being an adult and lost the habit. I could use some help getting started. 

Here are some prompts I found that might be interesting:

Write about the Past

• Write a letter to your older self.
  • Write about your childhood.
  • Write about lost friendships.
  • Write about your school life, your grades, what you wish you had done differently.
  • Write about turning points in your life – what would be different now if you had made a different choice.
  • Write about regrets you may have.

Write about Yourself

• What frightens you?
  • What brings you joy?
  • What makes you sad?
  • What worries you? Is there a pressing problem you need to work out?
  • Write a letter to someone that upset you, but you aren't ready to confront in person.
  • Write down the things you wished you had said to your parents, or other loved ones before they passed away.
  • Write down confessions of your deep down secrets that you can't tell anyone.

Write about the Future

• Where do you want to be 5, 10, or 15 years from now?
  • What line of work do you plan on pursuing in the future?
  • Write down how you can improve your life.
  • Write about children you plan to have, and what you wish for them.
  • Write letters to your future children and grandchildren that you can give to them when they are older. These letters will help them understand the type of person you were at their age.
  • Write about places you wish to see, vacations you plan to have.
  • Write about home improvements you would like to make.
  • Make a bucket list.

Write about the Present

• Write letters to friends and family members about things you can't say to them in person.
  • Write letters to your boss or coworkers.
  • Write about your friends, coworkers and family members, describing what they are like, what you like and dislike about each one, etc.
  • Write about your job, pets, your home, etc.
  • Write about your daily activities so you can look back and remember each moment.
  • Add photos to your entries to make them more special.

I'm in! I started keeping a journal in high school and kept it up through most of college. As my responsibilities and demands on my time increased (marriage, job, kids, grad school), the journal fell by the wayside. The past five years have been pockmarked by half-hearted attempts to write consistently again. I'm recommitting here in 2018, starting with this first challenge. I'm a bit of a one-trick pony, so I'm forcing myself to expand my horizons a bit by trying out different genres of writing during this challenge: poetry, songwriting, fiction prose, and non-fiction essay. For my day-to-day journaling, I don't use formal prompts, but just kind of freely write what's on my mind. My typical journaling could be categorized into a few loose prompts:

• Write about something you read recently
  • Write about something you felt today: name the emotion; explore the cause
  • Write out your prayers
  • Like 1

I'm a reluctant journaled but it's on the goal list so . . .

I can't decide if to just go freestyle- just spent some time writing anything

But

I don't know if thus us why journaling always peters out.

So maybe I should answer specific questions?

I can't even decide if to go pen and paper or something (free) is on my iPad.

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

I'm a reluctant journaled but it's on the goal list so . . .

I can't decide if to just go freestyle- just spent some time writing anything

But

I don't know if thus us why journaling always peters out.

So maybe I should answer specific questions?

I can't even decide if to go pen and paper or something (free) is on my iPad.

Any suggestions?
Not sure! Maybe try a few prompts and see if it works for you?

I have decided to combine my journaling goal with reading. I'm currently reading discipline = freedom and already have the 'stop whinging about not wanting to do it' message. I've decided when something really resonates with me or leads to a question I'll use that prompt to start journaling.

So I've been contemplating the concept of stress being caused by something out of your control. If it is in your control - do something about it. If it isn't in your control embrace it.

• Like 1

So I've been contemplating the concept of stress being caused by something out of your control. If it is in your control - do something about it. If it isn't in your control embrace it.

Interesting. Yeah, i like the idea of embracing things out of my control. I'll have to think about that idea more.