• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bookish Badger

Bookish Badgers Some More

1. Ketogenic Eating

I managed to drop about 12 pounds in the past 6 weeks! Gotta love those newbie gains.

Goal #1: Eat according to keto guidelines daily. 

2. Exercise More

Goal #2a: Bodyweight exercises every morning. I'm following the Darebee's Foundation program and doing 3 sets.

Goal #2b: Walking. Walk daily - short walks on my lunch break, longer walks on the weekends, treadmill, stairs, etc. Just get a walk in. Every. Single. Day. 

3. Support Sleep

Goal #3: Evening routine, including gratitude journal. 

It's the same stuff as last challenge, but it's the stuff that seems to work so I'm going to keep plugging at it. 

I started on January 2 and yesterday I managed to hit all of my goals. I just finished my exercises today, so I'm off to a good start.

• Like 10

Hi BADGER..

I think you will rock this challenge yet again. How long do you have to walk to consider it a "walk" or is it doing something that isn't becuase you have to get from point A to point B?

Following again

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bean Sidhe said:

How long do you have to walk to consider it a "walk" or is it doing something that isn't becuase you have to get from point A to point B?

Anything that gets me out of the house/office building and moving around is a "walk" in my book. I'll also include movement-focused activities like raking leaves, mowing the lawn, or a serious house-cleaning binge in a pinch, but I'm trying to move away from that and make my walks "in addition to" those activities.

This weekend, I realized I was out of one of my favorite pens (the Uni-ball Signo gel .38 in lavender-black, for my fellow pen nerds) and decided to see if a nearby office supply store had them. I was about to jump in the car and then realized that 1. the store is less than a mile away and 2. it wasn't raining at the moment so I walked instead. I came away empty-handed but it was a good walk.

• Like 9

Hi Badger!

Awesome start!

13 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

It's the same stuff as last challenge, but it's the stuff that seems to work so I'm going to keep plugging at it. 

I love when that happens. :)

Good luck!

• Like 3

To all of you seasoned gratitude journalers (is that a word?) out there: What format do you use? I believe the process is a good one, but I feel a little awkward writing "I am grateful for..." over and over. 

Any suggestions for different formats?

• Like 5

To all of you seasoned gratitude journalers (is that a word?) out there: What format do you use? I believe the process is a good one, but I feel a little awkward writing "I am grateful for..." over and over. 

I like this question, it is in my mind too, I think it is one thing that stops me from having a gratitute goal... I would feel silly
  • Like 4

It doesn't help that I recently re-watched America's Sweethearts and keep thinking of John Cusak trying to fend off a panic attack by practicing his gratitude. "I'm grateful for ...the trees, and...the moon, and...and...uh, ... the cool breeze...."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

idk how anyone else does it or even if what I do qualifies. But years ago I started ending my regular journal entries with "3 things I'm grateful for today:" and listed them. Somewhere along the way I dropped the sentence and just list 1., 2., 3. at the end of every entry.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Butternut said:

Do you find you sleep better being keto?

I'm not sure. I've been sleeping better over the past several months, but I'm not sure if it's because of eating keto, or my HRT is working, or if I'm (fingers crossed) finally getting through menopause. Or if I'm just exhausted because of work and life stress. Too many confounding variables. :) 

I personally think I'm sleeping better because I've been getting more exercise, even with as minimal as it's been.

That said, not having the bloat-burp-stomach rumbles that I get when I've been eating a lot of junk can only help!

Also an MDA fan, and have The Keto Reset on my Kindle, tho I've not finished it yet.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, fleaball said:

idk how anyone else does it or even if what I do qualifies. But years ago I started ending my regular journal entries with "3 things I'm grateful for today:" and listed them. Somewhere along the way I dropped the sentence and just list 1., 2., 3. at the end of every entry.

Same here 

in my grid journal I have "what are 3 things I'm grateful for"

I just number them. Sometimes I only write 1 thing because I'm just not feeling it. But that one thing I'll focus on it.

• Like 5

I just finished reading Older, Faster, Stronger by Margaret Webb. The book is about the author's attempt to become "super-fit" at the advanced age of 50, which she defined as qualifying for the Boston Marathon - with a time that would qualify an 18-30yo woman - and being on the podium for her age class at the World Masters Games half-marathon in Italy.

To accomplish this, she bartered with a nutritionist/personal trainer to trade writing advice for nutritional and training advice (this nutritionist is clearly Paleo-ish, and the chapter where she tells Webb, a conventional-wisdom long-distance runner, to give up grains and legumes is hilarious - a major freak-out ensued). She also used her running and writing credentials to interview a number of sports and aging researchers who are studying the world's elite elderly athletes, and was able to meet and train with several of these very athletes. 

The book was entertaining and mostly interesting. There were some parts where IMO she spent too much time talking about the "women's running boom" that started in the 70s and tying it into feminist movement happening at the same time, and then doing the same with "the new resurgence of women's running" and the second (or are we now on the third?)-wave feminist movement. It read to me like she was trying to make it bigger than just one person getting in better shape, and justify participating in such a time-consuming and sometimes expensive hobby - which should need no justification in the first place.

And for such a staunch feminist, she sure uses the language of body shame. When relating her weight struggles she never just gained weight, she "larded on 8 pounds" here and "packed on the lard" there. Every time I came across a "lard" reference, I wanted to smack my belly and shout in my best redneck-truck-driver-stereotype voice, "I gotcha lard right here, bitch!" 

She even, with great difficulty, admitted that her weight had reached a high of ... wait for it ... 140 pounds! 

I'll pause for y'all to un-clutch your pearls and wave your smelling salts. Please continue when you've regained your composure.

Yes, that was snarky, even for me. Yes, I know that 140 pounds is probably heavier than a 5' woman would like to be, especially a marathoner. But, really? When I read that "admission," I imagined it being said in the kind of hushed, shame-choked whisper of an addict admitting that she'd sold her baby's formula so she could buy heroine. 

But overall, I'd recommend the book to anyone who is interested in long-distance running or being athletic in later life. 

One thing really struck me, so strongly that I had to write it down and post it where I can see it daily. She was attending an aging conference in San Francisco. Most of the attendees were well-heeled folks in their later years, all looking for the fountain of youth. The "fountain" that all of the presenters gave them - eat well and exercise - was not the answer they wanted. Webb's comment: 

"I couldn't understand their desire to live longer when they didn't seem interested in living stronger and more fully in their bodies now."

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

On 3/1/2018 at 1:38 PM, Bookish Badger said:

This weekend, I realized I was out of one of my favorite pens (the Uni-ball Signo gel .38 in lavender-black, for my fellow pen nerds) and decided to see if a nearby office supply store had them. I was about to jump in the car and then realized that 1. the store is less than a mile away and 2. it wasn't raining at the moment so I walked instead. I came away empty-handed but it was a good walk.

Oooh the Uni-ball Signos are so smooth and great. I have a whole set in different colours that I use for my hobonichi, but I like the 0.5 tip (I already have Pentel Hi-Tec Cs in various colours in 0.4 tip so I use those when I want a finer line). Yay pens! If you can't find anywhere local to get yours, www.jetpens.com is my source.

And I love those revelations when it suddenly occurs to you that you don't have to do something the way you did it before...I remember I was making myself toast once because I was hungry and wanted a snack, but I was cross with myself because it was more calories than I wanted for a snack. And then it occurred to me that I could just have one slice of toast instead of the normal two. It sounds insane, but that really was not obvious to me at first. Habit is so powerful.

On 4/1/2018 at 4:10 PM, Bookish Badger said:

It doesn't help that I recently re-watched America's Sweethearts and keep thinking of John Cusak trying to fend off a panic attack by practicing his gratitude. "I'm grateful for ...the trees, and...the moon, and...and...uh, ... the cool breeze...."

This made me giggle. Unfortunately so many legitimately helpful techniques are easy to poke fun at. I used to work with a girl who hated calling it gratitude journalling because it felt too cliche to her, so she would just write "today I am happy about..." or something like that.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Bookish Badger said:

And for such a staunch feminist, she sure uses the language of body shame. When relating her weight struggles she never just gained weight, she "larded on 8 pounds" here and "packed on the lard" there. Every time I came across a "lard" reference, I wanted to smack my belly and shout in my best redneck-truck-driver-stereotype voice, "I gotcha lard right here, bitch!" 

She even, with great difficulty, admitted that her weight had reached a high of ... wait for it ... 140 pounds! 

I'll pause for y'all to un-clutch your pearls and wave your smelling salts. Please continue when you've regained your composure.

I can't stop laughing. I'm dying. Wait no...no, now I'm dead. Aaaaaaagh these people.

Reminds me of the movie they made of Bridget Jones' Diary. I think, after she goes into a depression-fueled Ben and Jerry's spiral, the horrific weight she reaches is 141 or something like that. God forbid she be forced to endure the shame of wearing a size 10! Sigh.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Severine said:

Oooh the Uni-ball Signos are so smooth and great. I have a whole set in different colours that I use for my hobonichi, but I like the 0.5 tip

I've heard great things about the Pentel Hi-Tech Cs, but I just can't drag myself away from the Uni-ball line. I like their .5 Vision Needle rollerball for regular writing and journaling, and the gel .38s, along with a Platinum extra-fine (which I think is .25mm?) fountain pen for my hobonichi. Which I discovered from one of your challenges way back, so thank you again!

12 minutes ago, Severine said:

Unfortunately so many legitimately helpful techniques are easy to poke fun at.

Too true. And while I doubt that the writers meant it that way, I found a certain legitimate point in the way the movie handled Eddie's "gratitude practice." Superficial gratitude isn't gratitude, it's going through the motions and making a checklist. 

I-Love-Lamp-I-Love-Lamp-Quote-In-Anchorm

Gratitude is something I do need to practice more, so I'll find a way to make it work.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Severine said:

And I love those revelations when it suddenly occurs to you that you don't have to do something the way you did it before...I remember I was making myself toast once because I was hungry and wanted a snack, but I was cross with myself because it was more calories than I wanted for a snack. And then it occurred to me that I could just have one slice of toast instead of the normal two. It sounds insane, but that really was not obvious to me at first. Habit is so powerful.

This is also true. When visiting the MIL, we went out for lunch. I chose a French Dip sandwich because stress-comfort-eating and it's my favorite sort of sandwich. I got a salad instead of fries so at least I cut out those carbs, but was still bummed about eating so much bread (while still choosing to eat it...shut up, brain). I'd taken a bite or two when it dawned on me....I scooped the meat out of the second half, plopped it on the first half that I'd started and had an extra-thick half French Dip sandwich. Still not perfectly keto, but a waaay better than the whole thing with fries. 

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, Bookish Badger said:

I've heard great things about the Pentel Hi-Tech Cs, but I just can't drag myself away from the Uni-ball line. I like their .5 Vision Needle rollerball for regular writing and journaling, and the gel .38s, along with a Platinum extra-fine (which I think is .25mm?) fountain pen for my hobonichi. Which I discovered from one of your challenges way back, so thank you again!

If you ever decide to check them out, I would recommend the Hi-Tech MAICA colour set. $16 here. But yeah, the signos are great too. I like using both. My basic writing and journal pen is a black 0.4 Hi-tec C (standard, not the MAICA one) but I also have it in 0.5 because sometimes I want a heavy line. And I have some 0.38 signos for in burgundy black and brown black that are great for precision work. I also use the 0.5 signos and a Pentel Energel-X retractable 0.5 if I want to be able to write more quickly. I also have different art pens and brush pens. And...

Basically this is me:

C3ikgCR.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

Okay, this stuck with me for some reason. I am not sure how this langauage was suppose to help someone decide "okay, I am done, lets do this and get where she did' I probably would of started screaming at the book.

tumblr_lq7ca3KJ3w1qehdeso2_250.gif

Yes, that was snarky, even for me. Yes, I know that 140 pounds is probably heavier than a 5' woman would like to be, especially a marathoner. But, really? When I read that "admission," I imagined it being said in the kind of hushed, shame-choked whisper of an addict admitting that she'd sold her baby's formula so she could buy heroine. 

I think your safe. I could come up with much worse snark...  And I am sure, for her to write that, it was like admitting that. I just\

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 1/6/2018 at 5:03 PM, Bookish Badger said:

"I couldn't understand their desire to live longer when they didn't seem interested in living stronger and more fully in their bodies now."

I laughed at your excellent review, but this is real.  I also read in Body by Science about studies that have conclusively shown that exercise - especially high intensity - is an age reversal magic bullet, but nobody wanted to hear that.  Still, most people (maybe not on NF, but out there) would prefer to sit on their backsides and take a pill!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NeverThatBored said:

Hey Badger - following along again!

1 hour ago, Jarric said:

Following along, love the simple, solid goals!

Welcome to you both!

6 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I am not sure how this langauage was suppose to help someone decide "okay, I am done, lets do this and get where she did' I probably would of started screaming at the book.

To be fair, she used that sort of language only when speaking of her own weight, not when talking about weight issues in general. I wasn't sure if she thought she was being self-deprecatingly funny or if she didn't realize how it came across. Or even if I'm just too sensitive to that sort of language. And overall, it was a tiny portion of the book so I'd not recommend anyone avoid it on that basis alone.

On to the Week One/Zero/Whatever Update. Note: I started my challenge on Tuesday, 1/2, so this is a 5-day week.

Eating Keto: 4/5.

On Saturday night, I really wanted some ice cream so I thought I'd try some Halo Top (chocolate mocha chip). I figured it was an okay compromise because while not totally low-carb, at least the total calories would be lower than typical ice cream. While I found it tasty, let's just say that eating the whole pint was not the best choice....It seems my digestive system doesn't agree with so much sugar alcohols, and I still don't feel great today. No Light Armor point for this week.

Bodyweight Exercises: 5/5.

I've been doing the Darebee's Foundation program, which is 30 days of low-impact calisthenics. Each workout has 4-5 exercises which are done back-to-back with 2 minutes of rest between each round. It has been eye-opening. 

One the one hand, I feel like such a short, easy workout (especially since I've been doing the Level One three rounds) couldn't possibly have any impact. There's that good ol' all-or-nothing mindset again. On the other hand, the exercises might be "easy," but I can't always do a full set without stopping, and sometimes I have to modify even the "easy" exercises to do them at all. Plus, I notice the effects throughout the day. Not really DOMS, but just that slight fatigue in the exercised areas that lets me know that my body knows it did something that morning. So, yeah, those little "bites" of exercise just might be what I need right now, at this moment in time.

One point each for Blade and Acrobatics.

Walking Daily: 5/5

There were a couple of days where I went for two walks; one on a break, and a longer one during lunch. I'm enjoying being outside and moving around more, and start feeling antsy if I can't get outside during the day.

One Athletics point.

Gratitude Journaling3/5

I'm still finding my way with this one, but that's still an improvement over last challenge. No Restoration point, however.

Overall, I feel like I'm off to a really good start! Here's to momentum.

19 minutes ago, Vibrantella said:

...this is real.  I also read in Body by Science about studies that have conclusively shown that exercise - especially high intensity - is an age reversal magic bullet, but nobody wanted to hear that.  Still, most people (maybe not on NF, but out there) would prefer to sit on their backsides and take a pill!

Thank you for your compliment! And that particular section really hit me. Between hitting one of my own landmark birthdays and seeing how my parents and in-laws have aged, it has me thinking a lot about the body I want to carry me into my final years. And what IS the point of trying to prolong life if it only prolongs decades of misery and dependence? I don't want to "live well into my 90s," I want to "live well, into my 90s." (Actually, I want to live a lot longer than that but only if I'm not sick and immobile while doing it!)

And what am doing about it now?? These are the thoughts going through my mind these days.

• Like 9