• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

dancezwithkittehz

dancezwithkittehz finds some normalcy

1 hour ago, dancezwithkittehz said:

I really really hope the number of people dead and homes lost from the rain is low but :( I am certain there are people who didn't evac when they should've and there are already two  make that 5 :(  confirmed deaths in Montecito. Worst timing for a storm EVER and the heaviest rainfall was focused right on the place that just burned under a month ago -- mudslide and debris flows were inevitable if heavy rain happened. :

:( Stay safe, this is scary

Yeah it's.....nuts. 15 confirmed dead so far and I suspect that will continue to go up :( . There were many who ignored the mandatory evac. Unfortunately the slide hit some areas hard that were NOT under mandatory evac so the people thought they would be safe but then the mudslide hit them in the wee hours of the morning. This is all so so sad. :(

I am stuck away from work for at least a few days but in comparison to the people lost and property lost that is nothing.

I guess challenge updates would be good and less depressing!

This week so far so good, and the aforementioned stuck at home means I am reaching my lazy time goals (I'm working from home as much as possible but there is a lot I can't do from home so I mostly am playing video games all day.)

I have been good about getting stretching done so far so as long as I keep it up and REMEMBER TO DO ON THE WEEKEND I think I should be good.

• Like 1

Welllllll I have my first ever hand callus rips courtesy of deadlifts yesterday. Oww. Oww oww. Side note: putting liquid bandage in a ripped callus hurts like a mofo BUT it does decrease the sensitivity of the skin there once it's dried! I don't have aerial until Tuesday and no lifting scheduled until next Friday so hopefully they'll be a little less cranky by then.

I was worried a rip might happy because the calluses there were sticking out a bit too much and a bit too hard. I think hand moisturizing and week pumice stone to try and keep them low and smooth is going to be important from now on! (I already do this with my feet since I am a barefoot dancer and ripped foot calluses suck even more because you HAVE to walk on them all the time whereas I don't have to hang from things or use barbells for daily life at least. lol) Any preffered moisturizing type things for keeping calluses supple? I am all ears!

A lot of climbers swear by ClimbOn as it keeps the callouses supple without softening them too much like regular moisturisers. Though I haven’t really needed it before so can’t vouch for it personally (but with my lyra it’s likely to change soon...)

Ouch, sorry to hear about the callus rip. I don't have insight, other than obsessive hand moisturizing (guilty), but not sure how well that would work with deadlifts. Hope you're feeling better. 

On 1/13/2018 at 12:07 PM, Mad Hatter said:

A lot of climbers swear by ClimbOn as it keeps the callouses supple without softening them too much like regular moisturisers. Though I haven’t really needed it before so can’t vouch for it personally (but with my lyra it’s likely to change soon...)

Worth trying to see if it helps!

21 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Ouch, sorry to hear about the callus rip. I don't have insight, other than obsessive hand moisturizing (guilty), but not sure how well that would work with deadlifts. Hope you're feeling better. 

I am terrible and don't really moisturize my hands very often so they are sad and dry. I clearly need to work on that!

On 1/13/2018 at 10:07 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Though I haven’t really needed it before so can’t vouch for it personally (but with my lyra it’s likely to change soon...)

Haha same day I wrote that I ripped two callouses. Oops. :D 

I'd also recommend looking into how you are holding the bar for deadlifts. Ideally, you want the bar in your fingers rather than in your palm. This type of grip still promotes some callus growth/hand discomfort but means less shifting along your hand and makes it very unlikely for you to rip while deadlifting.

deadlift-grip.jpg

That said, I did pick up some Ripfix hand ... goo stuff. It is a bit expensive, but seems like it will last a long time and seems to help my rips bounce back quicker without re-ripping open.  https://www.amazon.com/RipFix-8-61419E-11-Winnies-1-34/dp/B00QFRBP0Q?th=1

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, raptron said:

I'd also recommend looking into how you are holding the bar for deadlifts. Ideally, you want the bar in your fingers rather than in your palm. This type of grip still promotes some callus growth/hand discomfort but means less shifting along your hand and makes it very unlikely for you to rip while deadlifting.

deadlift-grip.jpg

That said, I did pick up some Ripfix hand ... goo stuff. It is a bit expensive, but seems like it will last a long time and seems to help my rips bounce back quicker without re-ripping open.  https://www.amazon.com/RipFix-8-61419E-11-Winnies-1-34/dp/B00QFRBP0Q?th=1

Interesting! I'm doing hook grip these days because my double overhand grip can't handle more than a few reps at 185+.

On 16/1/2018 at 12:11 PM, dancezwithkittehz said:

Interesting! I'm doing hook grip these days because my double overhand grip can't handle more than a few reps at 185+.

<spit-take> 185?!!

I'm sitting here doing 70# and feeling virtuous! No wonder you guys rip your calluses! I bow down in humble admiration....

• Like 2

Update for last week:

I drove around 15 hours last week in order to work about 16 hours in office. OH BOY was that a lot of driving! Some of my challenge goals thwarted on account of travel and being out of town. I drove up the long way to Santa Barbara and stayed with a friend last week so I could make it in to office at least a few days while the 101 is closed.

Totally did not remember to do any stretching while I was there, BUT I did get a free evening the day before I left for downtime and I did have a nice lazy weekend after I came back, so I didn't fail at all the things yay! I also did a solid 30 min of decluttering yesterday, primarily focused on getting my clothes situation under control.

I feel like a lot of my clutter problem is from buying new clothes and not getting rid of old ones. And then just imagine if you'd been doing that for like...over 10 years. Drowning in clothes! Clothes everywhere! I retried on a bunch of things and made myself get rid of shirts and dresses that just are not cut for having muscles. Like, yes technically I can get them on but they are ungodly uncomfortable and tight in the arms and shoulders and just no. Oddly enough I also found that a few things I was thinking of getting rid of before because they were a little too loose and unflattering actually fit better now that I have shoulders though, so yay small victories? I also made myself tailor a few things I needed to tailor. I am also realizing my wardrobe is shifting back into ALL THE BLACK and maybe some grey and I'm buying less colors other than dark colors these days annnnd I think I am OK with this. (Large bust plus being short is SO EASY to look fat when I am not. UGH UGH. Black/dark tones help!) I do still have a ton of yellow so basically my closet is shifting into goth kid wardrobe plus sunny yellow.

• Like 1

OH HAI. I slacked off on updating things. WOOOPS.

I have been...sort of failing at a few of these on account of too many social fun things I want to do and I don't always remember to stretch. WOOPS. The whole mudslide thing and 2 weeks of weirdness definitely threw off this whole "return to normalcy" goal but things are slowly getting more normal ish and will continue to do so.

The drive to/from work is taking twice as long as normal (so I am driving 3-4 hours a day vs 2 hours a day) and I know the resulting tiredness is definitely affecting my give-a-fuck-itude about goal stuff, but in the grand scheme of things I really am trying not to be too complainy.  The whole 23 people died so who the fuck am I to complain that I have to get up early and drive longer is definitely on my mind a lot these days.

My body however did troll me pretty hard today; I slept straight through the 5:15am alarm until 6:15 so I was an hour late to work. And I'd went to bed earlier than I normally do! I was in bed at 10! Clearly I needed the sleep!

Anywho I have a few other things on the brain that have me in mopey blegh mood (foremost of which is I think pre-shark week anxiety bleghs) but yeah. I R alive and things will be better over time!

Please enjoy this meme that I apparently had sitting here in drafts from whenever I last started to write a post and then didn't post it. Hahahahahahaha

another-funny-pun-meme_o_1473083.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/2/2018 at 3:19 AM, dancezwithkittehz said:

The drive to/from work is taking twice as long as normal (so I am driving 3-4 hours a day vs 2 hours a day)

ouch! :blink: I have a 2h30 commute every work day (walk / metro / bus / walk) and it is already very tiring. It's crazy. Can they clear the mudslide now? Looks like an extremely painstaking job :~

On 2/2/2018 at 3:19 AM, dancezwithkittehz said:

My body however did troll me pretty hard today; I slept straight through the 5:15am alarm until 6:15 so I was an hour late to work. And I'd went to bed earlier than I normally do! I was in bed at 10! Clearly I needed the sleep!

I'm not surprised :lol:  They could be a bit lenient at your job, it's a natural disaster, are they not taking it into account at all?

Sorry to hear about the commute lengthening, that's pretty darn far from normal, imo. Glad you got the sleep you needed, though, even if it did make you late. Hopefully work was understanding, given the circumstances? 

Good luck with shark week, that's never fun. How'd the challenge overall feel for you?