• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RogueLibrarian

RogueLibrarian: there is no try

1 hour ago, Jonesy said:

I can't use a row machine for very long because I get distracted by singing, "row row row your boat..."

But how cool would it be to get three people on side-by-side rowing machines singing this in a round?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Aw, you guys are such good crewmates.

So, TODAY:

I hit the gym again (that's three workouts, for those keeping track). I did 5k on the elliptical while watching Netflix on my new tablet, which I like a lot. I think I'm going to try to make 5k my new regular cardio/running target. I didn't do any strength work today since tomorrow is kickboxing class. 

Next week I get the suspension straps out again, I think. I enjoyed the last day of my quiet gym; next week it's going to be packed with students.

• Like 2

So, last night they called a snow day for today (on the first day of classes!) even though it has turned out to be ... partly cloudy, as far as I can tell. This is, I think, also partly a reaction to the fact that there's some kind of huge football game today, and there's an orange public figure in town, and they were already forecasting today to be one of the worst traffic days ever. So I was planning to do a gym workout this afternoon, but that's not happening. I think today is going to be mostly a nesting day.

I'm going to get to the store and do some meal prep, (sesame peanut noodles with broccoli for brownbag lunches, and vegetable fajitas for tonight's dinner). I'm going to meditate, vacuum the whole house, and ... if I'm honest, probably play a couple of hours of Assassin's Creed Origins.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

(sesame peanut noodles with broccoli for brownbag lunches, and vegetable fajitas for tonight's dinner

Om nom nom

If you get through that much adulting in a day I think a few hours gaming time is more than well deserved! 

22 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Om nom nom

If you get through that much adulting in a day I think a few hours gaming time is more than well deserved! 

Seconding all of this. ^^^^

• Like 1

Here in Western WA, the city of Seattle also preemptively will call a snow day if there is even a whiff of snow and our weather people are often wrong. Fun times. 

I like the sound of a nesting day. :) Be productive friend! 

So, our "snow day" was light drizzles and 35 degrees. Still, free day off. I pretty much nailed that nesting day. Vacuumed, cooked two meals, played some AC, meditated, spent most of the day in sweatpants. No complaints.

Just came from the gym -- it was packed, as expected for the first week of classes and right after new year. It'll ease off in a month or so. I got the suspension straps out for a strength workout today, and enjoyed the challenge. I'm trying to keep it simple enough that I can keep my workout routine in my head without having to look at a list, and challenging enough that I'm not bored with it. I think I'm at a good sweet spot for now. 

I want to get back into climbing, which I miss -- but I'm going to focus on fundamentals for a few weeks and get the routine back in the groove first.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RogueLibrarian said:

I want to get back into climbing, which I miss -- but I'm going to focus on fundamentals for a few weeks and get the routine back in the groove first.

Yeah!

• Like 1

You sound like me except I'm wishing I could do swimming right about now. BUT I WON'T. OTHER THINGS FIRST.
  • Like 1

I am sad because a friend just asked me to be on his obstacle course race team, and I ended up saying no because the registration fee was more than I felt like I can justify this month. This is still a thing I want to do.

I'm still in "new year motivation" mode, and I've been thinking about my quest list for the year. Does anyone else do this?

Today: another gym break. I'm aching from yesterday, but I think today might be a rowing day. Speaking of:

3 minutes ago, Twilight said:

Ok so if I make a rowing playlist with music specifically for rowing, what should I put on it? ;) 

Uhhhhhhhhh let's brainstorm that one. :) I've been doing podcasts and audiobooks to distract me some, and just my regular workout playlists. And Zombies Run....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twilight said:

Ok so if I make a rowing playlist with music specifically for rowing, what should I put on it? ;) 

UPDATE: Maybe this.

Seriously, I do want to find some way of better gamifying rowing, at least in my brain.

48 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

I'm always thinking about quest lists. I have two different sets of ideas floating around my brain right now.

I think this is my current list for 2018:

• Finish my novel
  • Take a karate class
  • Do an obstacle course race
  • Put monkey bars on the back yard gym

Also, I joined NF right after new year 2016, so this is (approximately) my 2nd anniversary as a Rebel.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RogueLibrarian said:

• Finish my novel
  • Take a karate class

I think these are excellent goals, very doable!

On 1/8/2018 at 10:26 AM, RogueLibrarian said:

So, last night they called a snow day for today (on the first day of classes!) even though it has turned out to be ... partly cloudy, as far as I can tell. This is, I think, also partly a reaction to the fact that there's some kind of huge football game today, and there's an orange public figure in town, and they were already forecasting today to be one of the worst traffic days ever. So I was planning to do a gym workout this afternoon, but that's not happening. I think today is going to be mostly a nesting day.

On 1/8/2018 at 11:15 AM, Jonesy said:

Here in Western WA, the city of Seattle also preemptively will call a snow day if there is even a whiff of snow and our weather people are often wrong. Fun times. 

I mean guys, your friend from the chilly north here: do y'all even HAVE snowplows? or enough of them? it's ok to not be a hero and stay home. *I* stay home when it's snowing until the plows are done, and I learned to drive in snowy conditions. it's cool.

1 hour ago, RogueLibrarian said:

• Finish my novel
  • Take a karate class

Also, I joined NF right after new year 2016, so this is (approximately) my 2nd anniversary as a Rebel.

this is a good list. 

ALSO, happy 2nd nerdiversary!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

• Finish my novel
  • Take a karate class

OOOOh I like these goals! Have you done any work recently on the back yard gym? 

Also congrats on 2 years! 

2 minutes ago, karinajean said:

I mean guys, your friend from the chilly north here: do y'all even HAVE snowplows? or enough of them? it's ok to not be a hero and stay home. *I* stay home when it's snowing until the plows are done, and I learned to drive in snowy conditions. it's cool.

After the 2008 snow storm, King County (2,307 sq mi, 2 million people) only had 1 snowplow, they decided to to add to the fleet. As of 2010 I think we had 3, maybe more now?  I usually just stay home anyways. Our "normal" snow is a sprinkling that will melt as soon as it hits the ground. 

• Like 2

On 1/8/2018 at 4:20 PM, traaki said:

Knees! 

Oh! Speaking of this, my knee is much better. It just took some extra time to recover after more running than usual. Which is a useful metric for me to be aware of.

1 hour ago, karinajean said:

I have literally never seen a snowplow. ... Maybe ever in my life? 

1 hour ago, karinajean said:

this is a good list. 

ALSO, happy 2nd nerdiversary!!!

Thanks! I ache all over but I'm wearing skinnier pants and my legs look great, so I think that's a net gain.

1 hour ago, Jonesy said:

Have you done any work recently on the back yard gym? 

Not at all. It's time to remedy that.

• Like 3