• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Arcelas the n00b

Arcelas the n00b aka Diamond Dan Presents: Challenge the Second

Greetings from Arcelas the n00b!

If you are reading this right now, it means I have successfully posted it. 

2018 (The year we all become murlocs) Quests

Spoiler

Quest Line: Lose 59 lbs.
Eat Better

• Stop drinking sugary drinks
    • Reduce sodas to once or twice a month on movie night. Start at weekly and reduce from there.
  • Add vegetables to breakfast
    • Add to one breakfast per week until 4 breakfasts per week are reached
  • Stop eating pasta
    • f**k pasta
  • No fast food
    • Reduce fast food to twice per month, and even then only in emergencies
  • Track calories/macros
    • myfitnesspal is my bestest friend!
  • Drink more water
    • 4 quarts of water a day will help with the soda cravings

Be Active

• Walk daily
    • Hit my daily step goal of 1000 steps. 5000 the first week, then add 1666.66 each week until 10000 is reached
  • Do yoga
    • Do yoga on 1 of my off days, combined with light meditation
  • Go to gym
    • Continue bodyweight level 2 for 2-3 weeks of the challenge. Fight the boss during week 3 or 4.

Quest Line: Get Out of Debt

• Review/reduce spending
    • Cook as many meals on Saturday and Sunday as possible to reduce dining out spending by 50% (dropping from $220 to $110)
  • Organize debts
    • Pull creditor info from credit report; dispute any unknown items
  • Contact creditors regarding settlements

Quest Line: Become Much Better At Magic
Education

• Complete Royal Road to Card Magic
    • Read Chapter One: Overhand Shuffles
      • Watch the accompanying video for Chapter One
  • Watch the Monday Tutorial Video From Chris Ramsay every week
  • Watch the tutorial videos from 52kards
  • Watch a new video each week

Practice

• Focused practice 30 minutes a day
    • 10 Minutes basic moves (pass, pinky count, Elmsley Count)
    • 10 minutes Flourishes
    • 10 minutes complete routines (mirror practice)
  • Practice basic sleights while watching tv

Performance

• Show a trick to one new person at any bar I attend
  • Post an effect every other week on Instagram

Quest Line: Become A Much Better Vocalist
Education

• Complete KTVA Streaming Lessons

Practice

• Practice an hour a day 5 days a week
    • Start with 30 minutes a day 3 days a week

Quest Line: Create a Band

• Prepare practice space
  • Have first jam session
  • Choose a band name
  • Pick song list

Quest Line: Perform A Magic Show

• Practice favorite effects till perfect
  • Build a cohesive routine
  • Research volunteer opportunities

4 Week Challenge Quests:

Quest Line: Lose 59 lbs.

• Hit my daily step goal of 10000 steps. 5000 the first week, then add 1666.66 (repeating of course) steps each week until 10000 is reached

Quest Line: Get Out of Debt

• Cook as many meals on Saturday and Sunday as possible to reduce dining out spending by 50% (dropping from $220/mo to $110/mo)

Quest Line: Become Much Better At Magic

• Read Royal Road to Card Magic: Chapter One and watch the accompanying videos

Quest Line: Become A Much Better Vocalist

• Complete KTVA Streaming Lessons Vol 1 and practice 30 minutes a day 3 days a week

OK Rebels. Let's do this!

Edited by arcelas
Changed step goal
  • Like 2

PleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasePLEASE tell me you're going to combine the magic tricks with the band's live performances as soon as you possibly can?

And good luck to you with the challenges! Not that you'll need it. :)

• Like 2

Echoing scalyfreak here! Magic + tunes would be amazing!!

FWIW, your quest lines seem (to me, at least) to be nicely ambitious and specific, and the supporting quests make a lot of sense. I love that you're combining nutrition and fitness with broader life ambitions /cue montage of dedicated practicing of magic tricks and singing here/

I'm really looking forward to following your progress! Keep us posted!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, scalyfreak said:
PleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasePLEASE tell me you're going to combine the magic tricks with the band's live performances as soon as you possibly can?

And good luck to you with the challenges! Not that you'll need it.

It is my intention to do that. As a vocalist, my hands would be free to do some cool tricks while I'm singing.

• Like 2

Update:

Day 1 - 01/01-18

Hit my daily step goal of 10000 steps. 5000 the first week, then add 1666.66 (repeating of course) steps each week until 10000 is reached

I hit 6000 steps yesterday without trying to. Due to this, I have amended my step goal to the AMA recommended 10k steps per day. Starting at 5k this week. Sun-Tue were lower but above 2500.

Cook as many meals on Saturday and Sunday as possible to reduce dining out spending by 50% (dropping from $220/mo to $110/mo)

I did my cooking on Monday this week. (holiday), but I made food for the whole week. No need to eat out at all this week. The idea is to go from "oh crap, I have to eat out because I did not prepare anything" to "Why, yes, I'd like to eat at a nice restaurant this weekend with you, my dear"

Read Royal Road to Card Magic: Chapter One and watch the accompanying videos

Tuesday I read the first section of RRTCM and Watched the video section. I practiced that section for 10 minutes.

Complete KTVA Streaming Lessons Vol 1 and practice 30 minutes a day 3 days a week

I have not yet practiced my singing this week.

I haven't decided about rewards yet. Any suggestions? Trying to keep spending relativly low, so XP in the Epic quest system might be good for this 1st challenge anyway.

• Like 1

Just now, arcelas said:

Wow, been a bit since I played. Murky was my last Murloc intro.

450755.jpg

Oh yes, many many more Murlocs abound in WoW. Though even I did a double take at the Illidan Murloc. I was like...oh. my. whut. Murky is a good Murloc. Hope the challenge goes well and I would totally dig watching a band where the lead singer did magic tricks. That would be awesome!

• Like 1

Update:

Day 5 - 01/05-18 TGIF!

Hit my daily step goal of 10000 steps. 5000 the first week, then add 1666.66 (repeating of course) steps each week until 10000 is reached

Step goal for the day exceeded again. I walk around at my job (I am in Deskside Support), so I get quite a few steps in that way. In addition, I take several 3-5 minute breaks to just walk and stretch. In coming weeks I will probably need to go for actual walks after work.

Cook as many meals on Saturday and Sunday as possible to reduce dining out spending by 50% (dropping from $220/mo to $110/mo)

I forgot to bring my lunch with me today. Fortunately, I have nut bars from Costco, and I'm only working a part day.

Worked on some sleights while watching SWAT (2017) with my dad. We have Thursday Movie/TV Show Night.

Complete KTVA Streaming Lessons Vol 1 and practice 30 minutes a day 3 days a week

I watched the intro videos and did lip drills. They tickle!

I'm going out tonight with a lady friend I had a date with a couple weeks ago. We are going to a karaoke bar. Not sure if this qualifies as a second date or not. I'm not as nervous as I would have expected. Wish me luck!

P.S. I started Nerd Fitness Coaching. I did movement assessments, and Jim plotted my nutrition for with me. I will post a more in-depth review after I've been doing the program for a while.

• Like 1

Update 3

Day 6-8 (01/06/18-01/08/18):

First off, my date went great. A gentleman does not kiss and tell. (We totally kissed). Saturday I did some Batcave upgrades. (Donated pasta and chips to a local food bank and put together two go bags for the gym. The plan is to keep one in the trunk in case I forget to bring my gear.)

Challenge Quests Progress:

Hit 7800 steps on Sunday! Shopping at Costco will do that. Set my new goal to 6667 steps.

Watched the first three lessons and read the chapter in the book. Practiced for about 10-15 minutes. *Bonus* I learned to perform the LePaul Spread. I'll post a video of it this week.

No practice this weekend, but I sang 3 songs at karaoke. Hallelujah (Rufus Wainwright), Cumbersome (Seven Mary Three), and Cowboy (Kid Rock)

Starting the workout program created by Jim Bathurst today. Pretty excited!

Update Day 9 - 01/09/18:

"No battle plan survives contact with the enemy" - Helmuth von Moltke

I had a family emergency, my 8-month-old nephew fell out of his high chair and drove his front tooth through the roof of his mouth. I spent yesterday helping my brother and his girlfriend clean up the house, figure out their insurance, and book a few appointments. I felt like I was running around like a maniac, but I did not get my 30 minutes of walking in, nor hit my step goal.

I went to the movies with my lady friend. We saw Molly's Game. (Which is fantastic by the way. Highly recommended.) It was our fourth date, but we dropped the number from the front and added 'ing' to the end.

Challenge Quests Update:

Although I was walking around a large hospital yesterday, I did not hit my step goal. In fact, I barely got 50%.

Delicious homemade meals are a go again. A lot of chicken and vegetables right now. Organic Normandy Blend from Costco is wonderful. Instead of grabbing a bite to eat from some narly fast-food joint before the movie last night, my lady friend and I bought ground beef and broccoli. We made hamburgers on the stove that were quite tasty. 

No magic practice yesterday. Too busy with family stuff and ?girlfriend? stuff. (I'm new to this dating/relationship thing, bear with me)

Complete KTVA Streaming Lessons Vol 1 and practice 30 minutes a day 3 days a week

No vocal practice either yesterday. Tonight for sure: Lip rolls.

On 1/8/2018 at 9:47 AM, Arcelas the n00b said:

put together two go bags for the gym. The plan is to keep one in the trunk in case I forget to bring my gear.

Okay - that's BRILLIANT!!! I'm going to be starting back to the gym in the next couple of weeks, and I am totally stealing this idea! One of my semi-regular issues was walking out of the house without my gym bag. (Okay -- upon occasion, I "forgot" it, but most of the time I was just schlepping a lot of stuff and missed it.)

Thanks for the idea!

(P.S. I hope your nephew and his parents are recovering!)

Update Day 10 & 11 - 01/10/18-01/11/18:

Wow, having a girlfriend is exhausting (not like that, ya pervs) (well, maybe a little)

OK! I have been a baaaaaaad boy this week. Queue sheep noise:

Not even close. I've got to buckle down. I need a time budgeting program like YNAB for time.

Looking good. Going into the third week of the challenge with $17.89 spent on dining out so far. Not to mention the added health benefit from making your own food.

Practiced some basic moves yesterday during movie night. I have read/watched chapter one twice now, next comes solid practice time.

Complete KTVA Streaming Lessons Vol 1 and practice 30 minutes a day 3 days a week

I have not been practicing this week at all. I think I am going to download the practice audio and practice during my daily commute.

My nephew is better. They decided to just leave him with the missing tooth. 

Sad Update:

Day 12-15 (01/12/18-01/15/18):

The good: I'm in the lovey-dovey teenage phase with my new girlfriend. We are awesome together!

The bad: absolutely everything else. I haven't been to the gym since the 8th of January. I haven't hit my step goal or practiced any singing or magic. I was sick the past few days (including today), so no food got cooked. Fortunately, I have soup and a few microwave dinners left.

#movingforward

I need to budget my time, the way I learned to budget my money. During the week, I sleep 8 hours a day and work 8 hours. This leaves 8 hours to do the rest of the things in my life. That is the time I need to budget better. Does anyone have any suggestions for this process? Any apps that help with this?

#notgivingup

I'm going to walk around my work during lunch today, as I am sick and not interested in food today. 

Being sick or injured does crazy things to anyone's routine. Don't beat yourself up over it. Do what you can, to the extent you can, and focus on getting better.The challenge is not going anywhere and as long as you get back to it when you can, no harm done. :)

Update Day 16 - 01/16/18:

Hard to want to walk when you are coughing lungs out your back. I'm supposed to be at 8333 steps this week, but it feels impossible. I think I'm going to back off a bit on the speed of this challenge's difficulty curve.

Didn't cook a darn thing, but I'm still well under my dining out limit for the month.

Alright! Re-read the chapter and re-watched the videos. then practiced for over an hour yesterday. Feeling very comfortable with the move.

No music yet this week as I am getting over a cold.

• Like 1

Sad Update:
Day 12-15 (01/12/18-01/15/18):

The good: I'm in the lovey-dovey teenage phase with my new girlfriend. We are awesome together!
The bad: absolutely everything else. I haven't been to the gym since the 8th of January. I haven't hit my step goal or practiced any singing or magic. I was sick the past few days (including today), so no food got cooked. Fortunately, I have soup and a few microwave dinners left.

#movingforward
I need to budget my time, the way I learned to budget my money. During the week, I sleep 8 hours a day and work 8 hours. This leaves 8 hours to do the rest of the things in my life. That is the time I need to budget better. Does anyone have any suggestions for this process? Any apps that help with this?

#notgivingup
I'm going to walk around my work during lunch today, as I am sick and not interested in food today. 

The good is not a small thing! So happy for you :)

I am crap at managing time, but once I tried logging how I spend my time, and it really gives you insight on how much time I wasted. It's amazing how less I could sit on the loo if I have no book/phone to get distraced (ahem... I am still doing that regularly)

How's it going [mention=49021]Arcelas the n00b[/mention]? Feeling any better?
Loads. Being sick messed up my weekly routine as far as making food goes. I haven't been to the gym for a while, but I have done home workouts a few times. I'm going to my girlfriend's gym tomorrow for a water aerobics class. We both want to get in shape, but want to start low impact.

On the other hand, my non-fitness goals are going great. I've been practicing my magic regularly, and even have a gig on the 9th of February. I have an audition on Saturday for the frontman of a rock band in Omaha, NE. Going to do my strength workout after work in 1.5 hours. Let's end the month and challenge strong!
  • Like 1

This challenge has been strange. On one hand, I have gone days without completing one of my goals. On the other hand, I can show concrete evidence of progress along all four paths.

Walking: have not hit my step goals every day, but have been consistently walking.

Dining out costs: I am going to end the month under $100 for dining out!

Magic: I have finished the 1st chapter of the Royal Road to Card Magic. I added 2 or 3 effects to my routine. 

Music/Singing: I have been practicing during my daily commute. I had an audition for a lead vocalist position, but it looks like they are going a different way. I starting to write lyrics again.

Non-challenge items: reduced weight to 282 lbs. The lightest I've been in about 3 years. Clean bill of health from doctor. 

Got some new stuff planned for the next challenge, focusing more on Fitness. Stay tuned!

• Like 2

I'm not sure, considering increasing my squat and other lifts by a reasonable % is a considered goal for next challenge. 

I just looked over your challenge, and you are progressing fine. The unexpected is just that. We'll just power on through it.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2018 at 9:34 PM, scalyfreak said:

Strange or not, you are making progress. I'm impressed, you are doing much better than I am.

Are you staying with the Rebels for your next challenge?

Hmm... I'm thinking of changing my guild...