Sowilo and His Return to the Game

New Year same story but just like a choose your own adventure book this ending can change.  I've decided to do my challenges in a minimal frills sort of way.  Between work, a wife, and three children under three time is a precious commodity and I find my purse thin.  However, I realize that sometimes support of one's goals requires accountability and support.  Even if it is nothing more than making sure I post what I do on a public forum every week.

That being said, here are my year long goals (see link below).

(https://docs.google.com/document/d/19pfeeup1RLS-zzdLLFjz6xJLHh0eOmYxOBoXAjw9K_Y/view?usp=drivesdk)

The plan is to every challenge work something from each of the following Body, Mind, and Spirit.

Smart Goals

Body - Abs are made in the kitchen (Do or die goal)

Every week I will prepare at least 5 meals to take for lunch. (Protein, Veg, Carb)

Body - Not eating won't kill you

Every week (Sun to Sat) I will intermittent fast (no food before noon, no food after nine) 5 of 7 days.

Mind - Mind on my money and my money on my mind

Every week I will spend 15 minutes 4 days a week reading and making notes on Adam Smith's “The Wealth of Nations”

Spirit - Listen and Learn

Every week I will listen to at least two sermons or religious or philosophical commentary on the Christian faith.

Spirit - Presence

Every week, while at home for 4 of 7 days I will place my phone “on the charger” and not use it except for necessities (ex: answering a text from my wife) for a minimum of 3.5 hours.

This makes a total of 5 goals, but I think it is achievable as two of them are not gradient goals but do or die goals.

“A human should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, work alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.â€

-Robert Heinlein 

Nice and crisp challenge!

Looks like (also checking out your post count) like you have been here before. You could also hop on to one of the guild challenge sections if you would like.
Thanks! I plan for a nice easy reintroduction. I'll stay in this forum for now, it's been almost 2 years since I've done a challenge. I may be a bit rusty. [emoji4]
  • Like 1

“A human should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, work alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.â€

-Robert Heinlein 

Here is why potty training and having infants sucks.

Every child is sick, and waking up and having to go down past the kitchen every hour from 8pm until 6 am when everyone wakes, I pass by my eldest son's potty training rewards. Gummy bears and york peppermint patties...

Tired, worried and frustrated one may hypothetically indulge, especially when waiting for bottles to warm.

That being said, I did intermittent fast M-Th. Today will have to be one of my noon IF days.

-Robert Heinlein 

Week update as we start a new week.

1. Meal prepped for last week. 4oz teriyaki chicken, cauliflower and broccoli, and a half cup of rice.

2. I only successfully followed my IF and calorie goal for 3 out of 5 days.

3. I did not crack open Adam Smith this week.

4. I listened to 4 podcasts from Element Church in Santa Maria

5. I put my phone aside on 2 of 4 days.

Overall this week was hard. Started the challenge late and spent most of the week sick with 3 sick kids. No excuses, I can do better.

-Robert Heinlein 

New week - new opportunity!  Your NF clan believes you can.  #YouGotThis

5a52b947b0687_newweek.JPG.f53d638eab8da9bc7345bca997ba90d0.JPG
You're awesome! Thanks for the encouragement!

-Robert Heinlein 

16 hours ago, Sowilo said:

No excuses, I can will do better.

FTFY

The good thing about a hefty first week is that:

1. You are encouraged to step up
  2. It's easier to make week 2 a better week!

And we'll be here cheering you on, even especially when life get you down!

... a little odd in the head ...

Assgined to the following Adventuring-Parties:

DryJanuary

WeightLossPvP

The good and the bad and the ugly. (1/7 - 1/13)

Good - Meal prep goes well. I had plenty of prepare meals 5+. I've had plenty of time to listen to sermons and podcasts. I set the phone aside every day for 2-3 hours and haven't missed it.

Bad - while I've had no trouble waiting until noon to eat, I've had trouble stopping at 9. I don't feel hungry, but I'm snacking. Bad habit, it'll take time to fix.

Ugly - haven't read at all. Missing the motivation. I did read 3 chapters Henry Hazlitt's Economics in One Lesson. Maybe I should switch the reading goal to that book.

-Robert Heinlein 

On 2018-01-15 at 8:42 AM, Sowilo said:

Ugly - haven't read at all. Missing the motivation. I did read 3 chapters Henry Hazlitt's Economics in One Lesson. Maybe I should switch the reading goal to that book.

If there’s a book that’s holding your attention, I so support switching! One thing I’ve found, as someone who’s come back to reading as an adult, is that I have zero time for books that I’m not getting something from (unlike when I was a kid and I could afford to spend the half dozen hours of meh in trade off for the YAY of finishing a thing). Sometimes now I just look at a book and say “in another lifetime, friend.”  I will never read even a tiny fraction of all the wonderful, important, challenging, beneficial stuff out there so instead of naming as my focus something that I will procrastinate and avoid, I move on. 

That said, when I *have* to read something for work or school, I find setting up some discipline is way better than counting on motivation: I chose two days a week that were schoolwork days and I read the textbook whether I wanted to or not. Or for work I use the idea of 20/10s, where you do 20 minutes of the thing you need to, followed by a ten minute break. Often I get into what I’m doing and end up finishing the task even when the timer tells me I can have a break. 

Good luck - sounds like your reading has a major positive contribution to make in your life!

• Like 2
giphy.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=5110318

OwVdk_f-maxage-0.gif
Yup! Everything is under control! Thanks for the check in! I'll be posting a week update sometime tomorrow. Spoilers (it got better).

-Robert Heinlein 

Just testing, wasnt sure how to upload gifs from tapatalk.a0886aaff9bc6a51700ec03d071e517b.gif

-Robert Heinlein