• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

The Arruvia Conspiracy - Beast Mode

18 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Solid plan :) 

Getting there :) 

18 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

As for cooking steak - high cooking temps and a meat thermometer are your best friends

16 hours ago, GregT. said:

Hey glad you are feeling better.  Good Plan and I loved the intro story.  Keep that rolling if you can.

As for steak, If I am not grilling it, I season the steak, oh almost forgot.  Take the steak out of the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature before cooking.  If you do you will end up with a much more tender item and the doneness you want easier.  Anyway,  In a frying pan melt whatever oil you use to cook stuff, I have been using organic Ghee and I love that where has it been my whole life, and sear both sides of the seasoned steak.  Maybe 30 seconds in the very hot pan on each side just to get a bit of that lovely brown going.  Remove the steak from the pan and place it in a baking dish and put into a 350C oven (175c).  If you like it medium rare, cook it for about 3 mins on each side or what your thermometer says.  This is for about a 1 inch thick steak ( 25.4 mm).  Once it is done remove it from oven immediately and allow to rest, No cutting it, for about 5 mins.  This will let the residual heat finish cooking it to your doneness and let it relax so it is more tender.  Do not cook the Steak or any beef, Lamb etc, to the doneness you desire in the oven.  If you do it will be overdone the you eat it due to residual cooking.  Oh and remember all those weeks of my Steak and Eggs diet, yeah I got pretty good at this lol. Steak twice a day for 6 weeks.  Sounds like a dream but it can and does get old.

Good Luck man.

Thanks for the tips.  My biggest fear is that the steaks will come out super tough.  I have tried cooking steaks in the past and every time they are about as tender as dry leather :( As in I have had jerky that was more tender.  Anyone have favorite seasonings for steak?  

12 hours ago, @mu said:

This I did for my last challenge, but I hadn't framed it to 3x a day, and I should have had. Sometimes you are entitled to your grumpiness, and in any case, it is very hard to have that much level of attention the whole day (for me at least it was). But I might redo something similar because I have also been told that I present as quite cold/grumpy although I don't usually feel that way. It's particularly true at work. When I'm focused, I look very tense it seems. And people interpret it as grumpiness, when it's not the case at all.

Yeah, I don't think I it is in any way realistic to expect me to be walking around with a huge smile 24/7.  Baby steps :) 

4 hours ago, raptron said:

I like what your plan is shaping up to beee.

My problem right now is I have too much stuff that I want to do and not enough time.  On top of which I am still on the tail end of this flu and don't have as much energy as usual. 

----------------------------------

Yesterday I didn't do much other than play around with some animal flow stuff.  I am able to do the beast to forward kick thing, which I couldn't get last week.  I also spent a bit of time hanging and swinging from Ghostlet's bed while I was helping him with his homework.  These animal movements are going to be a lot more of a workout that the guys on the youtube videos make them out to be.  Some of them are really, really tiring...

I didn't do any workout this morning.  I had the time, but just didn't feel like it so I crawled back into bed for a bit.  Didn't get any sleep though, so I feel like I wasted my whole morning.  I want my energy back!

Smiling has been good.  I have been making an effort to smile and extend a cheerful greeting to everyone I meet and I am already noticing how often I normally would have greeted them as Mr. Grumpypants for no reason.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

Anyone have favorite seasonings for steak?  

Ok a couple of things and they are going to be taken out of context oh well.  My all time favorite seasoning for steak is Sea Salt, Cracked black pepper and Garlic powder with Butter or Ghee melted on the top of the steak.  Simple, and tasty. 

As for tender meat.  Do not over cook it.  Make sure it is room temp or close before you start cooking it.  Let it rest the 5 mins when you are done.  It is always better to cook the steak less done than more done, you can always throw it on the fire again.  If you are cooking steak beyond Medium, you are going to get tough.  It is nature of the beast it came from. 

Don't be afraid.  Sear, and throw in oven, watch the clock.  Do 3 to 4 mins on each side at 350 f ( 175c) and you should be good.  if it is a thinner steak you can just cook it in a pan.  Another way to check doneness is the push test.  I don't like it as much but it works.  If you press on the cooking steak with your finger and it is as firm as your hand below your thumb on the heel, it is medium rare.  There you go.  Burn some Flesh!

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Sea Level said:

Cool plan. I'll enjoy following along!

Glad to have you.  I still need to go over and check out your thread.

30 minutes ago, GregT. said:

Ok a couple of things and they are going to be taken out of context

No way, this is a family friendly thread.  Not like that trashy Deffy & the Wolf show :P 

31 minutes ago, GregT. said:

My all time favorite seasoning for steak is Sea Salt, Cracked black pepper and Garlic powder with Butter or Ghee melted on the top of the steak.  Simple, and tasty. 

As for tender meat.  Do not over cook it.  Make sure it is room temp or close before you start cooking it.  Let it rest the 5 mins when you are done.  It is always better to cook the steak less done than more done, you can always throw it on the fire again.  If you are cooking steak beyond Medium, you are going to get tough.  It is nature of the beast it came from. 

Don't be afraid.  Sear, and throw in oven, watch the clock.  Do 3 to 4 mins on each side at 350 f ( 175c) and you should be good.  if it is a thinner steak you can just cook it in a pan.  Another way to check doneness is the push test.  I don't like it as much but it works.  If you press on the cooking steak with your finger and it is as firm as your hand below your thumb on the heel, it is medium rare.  There you go.  Burn some Flesh!

Awesome, I am actually getting excited to try this one.  If I use a meat thermometer, should I be shooting for 175 (same as the oven temp) or something else?

• Like 1

Use this guide for beef.

Rare

Cool red center

Rare-new.jpg

125° F

52° C

Medium Rare

Warm red center

Medium-Rare-new.jpg

135° F

57° C

Medium

Warm pink center

Medium-new.jpg

145° F

63° C

Medium well

Slightly pink center

Medium-Well-new.jpg

150° F

66° C

Well

Little or no pink

Well-Done-new.jpg

160° F

71° C

4 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Awesome, I am actually getting excited to try this one.  If I use a meat thermometer, should I be shooting for 175 (same as the oven temp) or something else?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Anyone have favorite seasonings for steak?  

I have my homemade cajun and creole mix jars, which I tend to spam on most dishes. You can get recipes for both online, though admittedly they're a tad better in juicy pot-cooked dishes rather than the grilled stuff. Another option I've tried but haven't yet perfected is this spicy cocoa rub.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Thanks for the tips.  My biggest fear is that the steaks will come out super tough.

That's why I always opt for a meat thermometer. Sure if you always buy exactly the same cut and the same thickness sure you'll eventually learn how long it takes to cook or how it feels when you poke it, but with a thermometer you always get it right. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

If I use a meat thermometer, should I be shooting for 175 (same as the oven temp) or something else?

When I read this, my reaction was, “WhiteGhost, you clearly hate steak, because you’re planning to murder it.”

:P

• Haha 7

43 minutes ago, Hazard said:

“WhiteGhost, you clearly hate steak, because you’re planning to murder it.”

Ghosts oven has the following phrase on the door:   Only read if you promise to not think of me as a bad person.

Spoiler

"Work sets you Free".  

• Like 2

More story! Ooh, steak! Thanks @GregT. for that explanation. I can only grill it the way Brandt likes it, I can't explain it. And B prefers fillet, so I haven't done T-bone, sirloin or any of the other kinds in a long time.
Spice: garlic and butter are always good. I love a smokey mix I buy here which has pink salt, smokey paprika, some dried, finely cut (sweet) peppers, and BBQ salt. Will have to check the ingredients again.

Glad you are feeling better.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

I have my homemade cajun and creole mix jars, which I tend to spam on most dishes. You can get recipes for both online, though admittedly they're a tad better in juicy pot-cooked dishes rather than the grilled stuff. Another option I've tried but haven't yet perfected is this spicy cocoa rub.

Thanks, I will keep this in mind when I try some pot cooked stuff.  I got an InstantPot for Christmas but I still haven't had the chance to try it out yet.  

20 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

That's why I always opt for a meat thermometer. Sure if you always buy exactly the same cut and the same thickness sure you'll eventually learn how long it takes to cook or how it feels when you poke it, but with a thermometer you always get it right. 

I love your optimism here.  :)  Seems like the chances for success are much higher with the thermometer, so I will definitely do that.  

18 hours ago, annyshay said:

Seconded!

Thanks, I am definitely going with this for my first attempt

17 hours ago, Hazard said:

When I read this, my reaction was, “WhiteGhost, you clearly hate steak, because you’re planning to murder it.”

You have no idea how bad I am at steak.  Until this thread, I didn't know that they even went into the oven at all and I thought they were just grilled in a frying pan :D 

16 hours ago, GregT. said:

Ghosts oven has the following phrase on the door:   Only read if you promise to not think of me as a bad person.

Reveal hidden contents

"Work sets you Free".  

It took me a few minutes to get the reference.  

Spoiler

Image result for dat aint right gif

1 hour ago, elizevdmerwe said:

More story! Ooh, steak! Thanks @GregT. for that explanation. I can only grill it the way Brandt likes it, I can't explain it. And B prefers fillet, so I haven't done T-bone, sirloin or any of the other kinds in a long time.
Spice: garlic and butter are always good. I love a smokey mix I buy here which has pink salt, smokey paprika, some dried, finely cut (sweet) peppers, and BBQ salt. Will have to check the ingredients again.

Glad you are feeling better.

I have had some pretty yummy beef dishes that were seasoned with paprika and sweet peppers.  If the first attempt goes well, I may give that one a try later

• Like 3

Well, I am still not back up to 100% and workouts have not even been attempted in earnest.  Apparently this version of the flu going around here is hard to get rid of and the recommendation is to rest and avoid exertion until fully recovered, so I am thinking I will hold off on the workouts until next week, just to be safe.  

Looking forward to some steaks this week though :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Well, I am still not back up to 100% and workouts have not even been attempted in earnest.  Apparently this version of the flu going around here is hard to get rid of and the recommendation is to rest and avoid exertion until fully recovered, so I am thinking I will hold off on the workouts until next week, just to be safe.  

Rest is sometimes the hardest thing to do when you're trying to recover (read: ALWAYS the hardest thing). But you don't want to relapse! 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Sounds sensible - workouts will always be there and better to be completely over it than feel off for weeks to come.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Happienumber said:

Rest is sometimes the hardest thing to do when you're trying to recover (read: ALWAYS the hardest thing). But you don't want to relapse! 

Yes, trying to balance the desire to work out with the desire to avoid a relapse is a difficult balancing act.

Oh, and HI!  I don't recall having seen you around before so welcome to my (what I hope will become somewhat more exciting) challenge :) 

1 hour ago, LouCarJo said:

Sounds sensible - workouts will always be there and better to be completely over it than feel off for weeks to come.

This is true.  My bigger concern is that while I have not been working out for nearly 3 weeks, I have continued to stuff my face like a warrior and now my pants are starting to get uncomfortably tight :( 

• Like 3

On 1/10/2018 at 9:19 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Apparently this version of the flu going around here is hard to get rid of and the recommendation is to rest and avoid exertion until fully recovered

Hope you get out of its clutches soon. The lady who works for me and her one daughter at home are also struggling with one or other flu virus and the doctor also said rest as much as possible. She came in today, but I'm sending her home half day. I've bought some immune boosters for them to try and help them get better.

Balance w.r.t. food and workouts aren't easy to maintain. :) I'm struggling to eat my normal portions because although I'm training, I'm not doing that much more to warrent a lot more food.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2018 at 9:38 AM, WhiteGhost said:

This is true.  My bigger concern is that while I have not been working out for nearly 3 weeks, I have continued to stuff my face like a warrior and now my pants are starting to get uncomfortably tight :( 

Don't worry about it, it's just a few weeks. You'll get back to normal in no time. Just focus on recovery.

• Like 1

Image result for waynes world game on gif

Alright, I think I am back in the game now, so things start for real tomorrow.  I did some animal flow stuff tonight just for fun and to get a feel for it, but I still don't know exactly how I will design this to work as a real workout/mobility training.  I may end up just using this challenge as a practice session to get familiar with the movements, and then design a workout around it for next challenge.  

Image result for yep gif

Yep, that's what I'm gonna do.  So that means spending 15 minutes or so each night just getting down on the floor and pretending to be an animal of some sort.  Was a gorilla tonight and Ghostlet thought it looked like fun and wanted to join in.  It looks like I may have a partner for this :) 

Upper body workout is on deck for tomorrow morning, but I think I will throw in some leg work as well because I will be in Macau for business from Sunday through Tuesday so I may not have much time for workouts while I am there.  I hear they have the world's tallest bungee tower there (200m) so that may happen.  Depends on how much courage I can scrounge up in the next couple of days :) 

Given that I won't be using the animal movements for stretching, I think I will be going back to my old Focused Flexibility stuff for this challenge.  I made a lot of progress the last couple of months and I need to keep that going.  This means I probably won't have time for the abs stuff, so I think I am going to just scrap that, or maybe swap it out with animal stuff whenever the mood strikes me.

Steak is gonna happen tomorrow for lunch.  The meat is thawed and in the fridge -  wish me luck.  I don't need to use the meat stabby thing or use meat tenderizer do I?  

Image result for no pressure gif

Smiling has been going well.  I have decided I am going to experiment with trying to get my resting/thinking face to be more of a smile.  I was practicing in the mirror at the barber tonight and I noticed I don't have to do much, just kind of turn the corners up a little.  

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I did some animal flow stuff tonight just for fun and to get a feel for it, but I still don't know exactly how I will design this to work as a real workout/mobility training. 

I'd suggest time boxing it, pick a few movements and work for them for x minutes and then combine them. Or something like that. At least I find that reps and sets don't really work for stuff like this.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

I don't need to use the meat stabby thing or use meat tenderizer do I? 

It depends on the cut of meat on tenderizing.  But Generally no.  Just remember to take it out and let it come to room temp before yo cook it.  Do not throw cold meat on hot surface.    You will be fine.  Even if you mess it up it is still STEAK!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'd suggest time boxing it, pick a few movements and work for them for x minutes and then combine them. Or something like that. At least I find that reps and sets don't really work for stuff like this.

Yeah, that's kind of how I was thinking as well.  

13 hours ago, GregT. said:

It depends on the cut of meat on tenderizing.  But Generally no.  Just remember to take it out and let it come to room temp before yo cook it.  Do not throw cold meat on hot surface.    You will be fine.  Even if you mess it up it is still STEAK!

Update coming soon

OK, so I have a very busy morning.  I had no outside obligations so I decided to spend some extra time working out  to make up for having slacked off for the last 2-3 weeks (I can't even remember how long its been).  I went with pretty much the same workout I had last challenge becasue it was a pretty good one and no rule says we have to change the workout every challenge.  Ended up going for about 2 hours

Spoiler

Today's workout:

Back lever drops x10

Windshield wipers x20

Front lever raises x10

Russian twists x50

High pullups x10

Piston planks x20

Handstand kickups x10

Landmines x15/leg

Stool pistol squats x10/leg

Slip leg curls x50

Back lever extensions x10

V-situps x20

Front lever (can opener position) extension x5/leg

Side plank reach throughs x10/side

Wall supported handstand pushups x10

Jump lunges x15/leg

Hip bridges x30

Tabletops x20

Weighted shrimp squats x10/leg @16lbs

Skin the cats x10
Hollow body hold x30s
Front lever (can opener position) extension x5/leg
Regular plank x60s

L-sit pullups x5
Regular pullups x5

V-sit hold x60s
Wall supported handstand x60s

Side jump lunges X15/leg

Single leg hip bridges x15/leg

Weighted regular squats 3x10 @50kgs

Pushups with rotation x20

Single leg deadlifts 3x5/leg

Regular pullups x5

Regular pushups x20

Close grip pullups x5

Pseudo planche pushups x10

Wide grip pullups x5

Single hand deadhang X5s/hand

After the workout, I made the steak for lunch, together with some mashed potatoes and stir fried broccoli.  Food porn follows:

HcLU011.jpg

And just like regular porn, it looks great but underneath that polished veneer you end up with a wholly unsatisfying counterfeit product that leaves you unfulfilled and feeling a little bit disgusted with yourself for consuming it.  

My guesses as to what went wrong:

1. As it was thawing out, all of the blood drained out so when it was time to cook it it was laying in a pool of blood that Jigsaw would think was a little over the top.  Made for some very dry steak
  2. Too much seasoning.  Way. Too. Much.  I ended up having to wash the steaks to get rid of some most of the seasoning to make them even edible
  3. Frying pan was the wrong temperature.  At first it was too hot so as soon as I put in the butter it burned.  Then I turned it down to a point that it didn't burn the butter and ended up with steaks that were slightly brown but not anything that could be described as "seared". 
  4. Oven temperature was too low.  I set the temperature for 175, but I'm pretty sure that when I pulled them out to turn the steaks over all of the hot air escaped and they were in there at a lower temp for the second bit.
  5. All of the above

Number 4 wouldn't have been a big deal on its own. the steaks actually came out medium rare (the thicker ones were a bit rarer and the thinner ones more medium, but still within an acceptable range for amateur night)  However, combined with the other stuff, they were...  actually still the best steaks I have ever made???  Wow, I am really bad at steak :( I really feel bad for the poor cow that sacrificed itself to become the disaster that ended up on my plate today.

I am going to have to work really hard to keep a smile on my face today :( 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1