• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

The Arruvia Conspiracy - Beast Mode

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

That fish taco looks great!!

 

Guess what I have a craving for now? :P   

It was, and you should totally have one :) 

 

16 hours ago, GregT. said:

Hey Ghost, don't sweat it.  Just cook.  You have an idea of what goes well and what doesn't.  If you get it wrong then you know.  It is about experimentation man.  You have been eating food a large portion of your life, think of something you like and see if you can duplicate it without a recipe.  As for slow cookers, yeah just throw it in.  If you are going to put cabbage or other veggies I , you want to do that late int the game as they will go the same way as the meat and become very soft.   Leafy stuff will overfill the pot and reduce to nothing.  best part of Slow Cooker, is don't get rid of the broth.  It is FULL of nutrients and they say bone broth is good for you.

 

The biggest thing with cooking is, go for it.  It doesn't have to be perfect, but you will suprise yourself how often it comes put great.  How do you think they come up with Asian Mexican fusion anyway?

 

nta3.jpg?w=468

I think cooking is a lot like jazz improv.  Once you have the basic skills down, you can come up with all kinds of cool stuff that just kind of works.  Unless you have those basics, though, you are just making noise.  I am still working on building that foundation, but yeah, I agree  - the biggest thing is to get out there and actually be making stuff, trying things and learning from what works, and what doesn't :) 

 

13 hours ago, raptron said:

FISH TACOS! Yesss. I also maybe need to make fish tacos soon. :D 

Doooo Eeeeeeeet! :D 

 

11 hours ago, sylph said:

Step 4: PROFIT!!!

 

1 hour ago, GregT. said:

KtpxZnFArmXv7LZTYdn9nv0_xIF62se2IDanfLjg

There's gotta be a viable business model in there somewhere :D 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I haven't tried the pushups thing for missed math problems but I like the idea.  Right now the policy is for every problem he misses he has to do 5 additional problems, which is working so far.  I have tried using pushups as a punishment before, but the problem is he likes them so it doesn't work very well as a deterrent :D 

They started it. I won't say they like it, but they like to see each other suffer, sort of. Apparently it is a brother thing. I don't give them additional problems, I go through those sums and make sure they realise what they did wrong, and they have to fix it. Adam actually very seldom has a sum wrong. He forgets to write down all the numbers or he does + instead of - and vice versa. When x comes in this year, it might get worse.

16 hours ago, GregT. said:

The biggest thing with cooking is, go for it.  It doesn't have to be perfect, but you will surprise yourself how often it comes out great.  How do you think they come up with Asian Mexican fusion anyway?

This.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I did my stretching/mobility last night.  The Darebee daily dare was dragon pushups so I worked those into a lizard walk type of an exercise, and then did some ape walking which I combined with some side split stretches, so it was a lot like bent over side lunges.  Sounds weird but it worked out pretty well for both mobility and stretching work.

 

I was going to do some upper body today, but the hot water line in our building burst a leak so they had to shut the hot water off this morning and so I had to make a choice: get in a workout bu then shower in cold water, or skip the workout and get in before they shut the water off.  I went with the hot shower

Image result for wuss gif

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Adam actually very seldom has a sum wrong. He forgets to write down all the numbers or he does + instead of - and vice versa.

Yeah, this is Ghostlet as well.  He knows how to do everything, but sometimes he will get careless and leave off a number somewhere.  Half of his mistakes happen because he writes 6 and 0 very similarly, so when he is doing long division or multiplication, he will transcribe the number wrong when he brings it down.  He had his math final this morning, so I hope he was more careful than usual :) 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Yeah, this is Ghostlet as well.  He knows how to do everything, but sometimes he will get careless and leave off a number somewhere.  Half of his mistakes happen because he writes 6 and 0 very similarly, so when he is doing long division or multiplication, he will transcribe the number wrong when he brings it down.  He had his math final this morning, so I hope he was more careful than usual :) 

 

 

 

Many times, in high school, mind you, I'd do something like a calculus problem and get all the math right except the part where I added 2 + 3 to get 6. :blink: And I was far from the only one. I think this is just a human thing?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can confirm, did the same thing through school myself. Math was an exercise in carefully double-checking everything. Clearly, it failed, judging from my lack of proofreading before posting on NF.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2018 at 8:03 AM, WhiteGhost said:

he will transcribe the number wrong when he brings it down.

Same problem, slightly higher level - but I actually failed my particle physics exam at uni because I couldn't read my handwriting/keep track of the tensor algebra notation (teeny tiny symbols and calculations that span many rows) :redface: 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2018 at 8:47 PM, otterbyte said:

Many times, in high school, mind you, I'd do something like a calculus problem and get all the math right except the part where I added 2 + 3 to get 6. :blink: And I was far from the only one. I think this is just a human thing?

 

On 1/18/2018 at 10:28 PM, DarK_RaideR said:

Can confirm, did the same thing through school myself. Math was an exercise in carefully double-checking everything. Clearly, it failed, judging from my lack of proofreading before posting on NF.

 

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Same problem, slightly higher level - but I actually failed my particle physics exam at uni because I couldn't read my handwriting/keep track of the tensor algebra notation (teeny tiny symbols and calculations that span many rows) :redface: 

Well, that certainly makes me feel better.  Finals were yesterday so now there is nothing to do but wait until next Thursday when the results come out.

 

------------------------------------

 

I was able to get my upper body workout in this morning.  I was still feeling pretty bleh but I have hardly been working out this challenge so I wanted to make sure I got it in.  I had to lower the intensity a bit, but I still got through it.  I did notice that my shoulders are getting more flexible which is helping my handstands.  On the flip side, I also noticed that my hips are not getting better and I have to keep my legs pretty high to have a hollow body hold.  I really need to work on that so stretching will happen tonight for sure.  Last night I got in an ab video, which means that if I do my leg workout tomorrow, I will have fulfilled this weeks mission.

 

I decided to try out my new instant pot today, so before work I put in some wings (chicken & duck), cut up some potatoes, carrots & onions and thew them in with a couple cups of water and a little bit of flavoring (bay leaves and anise).  I set it for 10 hours to cook slowly during the day to have a yummy dinner when I got home.  Fast forward to when I get home and I was really impressed with the insulation on the pot.  Even though it had been cooking all day it didn't even feel a little warm.  So I wait for it to count down to 0 and open it up for some deliciousness only to find that everything was still cold.  Apparently I didn't set it to cook for 10 hours but set it to wait 10 hours to start cooking T_T.  

 

To make up for that I made a steak fajita and some frijoles & cheese which were pretty yummy.  

EsoCzwN.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Apparently I didn't set it to cook for 10 hours but set it to wait 10 hours to start cooking T_T.

Oh no! But glad you could save the day/dinner with fajitas.

31 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Well, that certainly makes me feel better.  Finals were yesterday so now there is nothing to do but wait until next Thursday when the results come out.

I bet it will be fine, and he'll have great results.

 

And way to go getting to all your exercises for the week, even though you didn't feel well. :loyal:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Apparently I didn't set it to cook for 10 hours but set it to wait 10 hours to start cooking T_T.  

Oh man what a disappointment! Nice save though, I’d be like screw everything I’m having toast for dinner. :P 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ohmygosh i would've been so disappointed and also done this:

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh man what a disappointment! Nice save though, I’d be like screw everything I’m having toast for dinner. :P 

 

glad you're starting to get back on track with your workouts and stretching :D 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2018 at 11:17 PM, elizevdmerwe said:

Oh no! But glad you could save the day/dinner with fajitas.

 

On 1/20/2018 at 2:04 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Oh man what a disappointment! Nice save though, I’d be like screw everything I’m having toast for dinner. :P

 

On 1/20/2018 at 3:48 AM, CourtnieMarie said:

ohmygosh i would've been so disappointed and also done this:

 

Thanks, the stars aligned and I happened to have everything I needed on hand.  I let the chicken/duck stew cook through the night with the plan to have it for lunch on Saturday.  However, when I opened the pot it was clear that either the chicken or the duck had decided that sitting out in a pot all day was a bad idea and turned to the dark side.  I didn't have a backup plan 2 days in a row so we ended up having PBJs for lunch and then ordering pizza for dinner. 

Image result for can't win em all gif

 

It's the end of the week so I guess I should do an update.

 

Upper body 2x/week - I sort of got this one.  I did one full upper body workout, and then after my run on Saturday I stopped by the calisthenics park to play on the monkey bars and ended up playing around for almost an hour.  There was a group of guys there who were pretty good (a couple of them could do muscle ups and one of them could swing around the bar 360 degrees like a gymnast.  They couldn't do front or back levers, though so we all kind of hung out showing off and trying to help each other try new stuff.  I tried to do a muscle up and was a little disappointed that I have have regressed quite a bit over the winter.  On the other hand, the one guy that was really good said that I had more than enough strength and just need to work on my technique a bit.  One way or another, I will get the muscle up sometime this year.  He suggested I try doing the chicken wing muscle up, which I could kind of do, but I would rather wait and get both arms at the same time than do the chicken wing version.  I am primarily doing it to show off, so impressive version or nothing :D 

 

Lower body 1x/week - Got this one in on Friday morning.  I got through the whole thing but by the time I got to the last item (single leg deadlifts) my knees were feeling a little wobbly so I just did regular 2 leg versions.  I didn't increase the weight, though, so they weren't too challenging.

 

Endurance 1x/week - Ended up getting 2 runs in this week.  The first was while I was in Macau where it was nice and warm.  Then on Saturday I dropped Ghostlet off at marching band and had a few hours before I needed to pick him up so I went for a run to the park.  While I was in the US over New Years I picked up some Under Armour Heat Gear workout sets so I wanted to try them out and see if they could really keep me warm.  With just the leggings and the top I was nice and comfortable when it was about 0c out, but as soon as the sun started to go down the temperature dropped sharply and it was no longer enough.  My pace back home was faster than normal as I was in a bit of rush to get someplace warm :D 

 

Core 3x/week - Only got one of these in this week.  I knew I wasn't going to get these, though, so I only needed one to call this week a pass.

 

Mobility 3x/week - Only did 2x this week, but again, only needed on to pass

 

Cooking 1x/week - above and beyond the call of duty on this one.  Fish tacos, chicken/duck stew, steak fajitas makes 3 new recipes this week.  They didn't all turn out well, but that isn't a requirement for this challenge.  Doing the thing is enough :) 

 

Attitude 3x/day - I haven't been tracking this, but I have been trying to make a conscious effort and have usually had 3 smiles or greetings each day

 

Overall I would say it was a very successful week.  If I have time tomorrow I will try to update the story accordingly.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What an awesome week! It's so cool that you visited Macau - I've only seen it in Skyfall :D

 

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

 

Cooking 1x/week - above and beyond the call of duty on this one.  Fish tacos, chicken/duck stew, steak fajitas makes 3 new recipes this week.  They didn't all turn out well, but that isn't a requirement for this challenge.  Doing the thing is enough :) 

 

You're getting a lot of valuable experience and knowledge about how different ingredients react, cook, and work together. You only get better by experience, and experimenting. So, doing the thing is totally enough. I just prepared a baked oatmeal with blueberries in the oven, a recipe I came up with when my fridge broke down and I had to prepare something with the frozen blueberries from my freezer...! It was a quick solution back then, but I've continued to develop the recipe, and it's turning out pretty nice :D I hope you're having fun with your experiments!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I said and have others.  Just Cook!  making food is fun.  even if it turns out badly you still learn.  When you make food fresh for you and your family and see them enjoy it, it makes me happy.  I hope you get the same satisfaction.

il_570xN.1183129987_t4m4.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ensi said:

What an awesome week! It's so cool that you visited Macau - I've only seen it in Skyfall :D

I had been there before back in 2003 but only for a day trip so I didn't realize how tiny it is.  Also, the first time I went I took the ferry from Hong Kong so I had assumed it the island was out in the ocean somewhere.  In reality it is only separated from the mainland by a tiny channel and connected by a number of surprisingly short bridges.  Overall I was a bit disappointed and it felt like a cheap imitation of Las Vegas

 

14 hours ago, Ensi said:

You only get better by experience, and experimenting. So, doing the thing is totally enough.

 

2 hours ago, GregT. said:

Just Cook!  making food is fun.  even if it turns out badly you still learn. 

Yes, it is fun and I am learning a lot.  I can't believe how much progress I have made, especially since I cooked* for the first time less than a year ago.

 

*not just heating up something from a box, jar or bag

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your signature requires updating but thankfully you had the forethought to include a link to your new challenge from the old and I found my way here just fine. ;)

 

Just in time to catch up on the Culinary Alchemy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Your signature requires updating but thankfully you had the forethought to include a link to your new challenge from the old and I found my way here just fine. ;)

 

Just in time to catch up on the Culinary Alchemy!

Haha, thanks, I completely forgot to update the signature when the challenge started :D 

 

giphy.gif

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update time

 

Yesterday was an absolute nothing day in terms of the challenge.  Monday was too, but that is usually a rest day anyway.  I was so sleepy yesterday I didn't even bother getting out of bed when my alarm went off. I just turned it off and got up when Mi Vieja did.  Not only was a not feeling like a workout, but I was just overall feeling bleh, and super hungry.  I stuffed my face at lunch with a bunch of crap (coke, chips, cookies, etc.) and still didn't feel satisfied and wanted more.  By the evening it was getting better but I still didn't do any mobility or abs.

 

Today was better. I was still not in the mood to workout (I think it being the dead of winter and freezing is a big factor in this) but I got up and did it anyway.  It was not the most intense workout I have done, but I powered through it anyway.  I think I may need to make some adjustments to my workout plan from next challenge because I think my current plan isn't working out as I would like, but I still have a few weeks to get that worked out.

 

I have completely been neglecting my cheery attitude this week, so I need to spend some more time on that.

 

Other than that, I have been thinking about my medium-term objectives for 2018 and so far have come up with 3, which sounds like a good number of objectives.  

Image result for sounds about right gif

 

1.  The Muscle Up - This has been a goal since last year, but I really want to get it.  I think it is definitely within reach, but will take some dedicated work over the summer (when I have regular access to a stable pullup bar) to make it happen.  I have slipped from where I was at the end of last year, but it isn't entirely unexpected given that I haven't been working on it specifically for a few months now.  This is primarily a challenge of mobility (a combination of strength and technique)

2. A Delicious, Tender Steak - I love a good steak, but have been phenomenally unsuccessful in cooking them myself, but this is the year that it will happen.  It may not be the next one I make, or the one after that, but with each attempt I will get closer, until I finally succeed.  This will be primarily a knowledge based challenge

3. The Back Flip - This is my UBF (Unconquered Big Fear).  I know that I have the ability to do it, but I am as of yet unable to bring myself to do it.  I originally learned them when I was in high school and used to do them fairly often but hurt my neck doing a back handspring 20+ years ago and have never tried one since.  This will primarily be a challenge of the mind, as I struggle to overcome my fear.

 

I will, of course, continue to work on other things over the course of the year, but I am officially putting these out there so that I can be accountable to myself and all of you over the course of the year.

Image result for ttfn gif

 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2018 at 9:45 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Fast forward to when I get home and I was really impressed with the insulation on the pot.  Even though it had been cooking all day it didn't even feel a little warm.  So I wait for it to count down to 0 and open it up for some deliciousness only to find that everything was still cold.  Apparently I didn't set it to cook for 10 hours but set it to wait 10 hours to start cooking T_T.  

 

:lol:.  I’ve done similiar with my slow cooker.  Got the food all ready to go and turned the cooker on, only to find hours later that I forgot to plug in the cord. :hopelessness:

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Hazard said:

I’ve done similiar with my slow cooker.

I have never done this. I am perfect.  I never forget to plug it in or turn it on.    Oh wait, I mean I have done this several times.  My personal favorite is making it to take to work the next day so over night cooking, and waking up to a horrid smell because you got the water you needed in the measuring cup, and you are sure it is the right amount, because it is still on the counter.

 

a-fire.gif

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find your smile and cheerful greeting goal a nice experiment. How is it going? Are you noticing any changes in how people you frequently see behave/talk to you (co-workers, neighbours...)? How does it make you feel?

 

I'm sorry about the steak, but don't despair, it isn't that difficult. And you've learnt a lot from your first experience with it; in just one time you learnt plenty of things you don't have to do :D kidding. I'm sure that goal will soon be yours!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2018 at 4:47 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Those are great goals.

 

On 1/25/2018 at 12:44 AM, raptron said:

Yep, I love those goals! 

 

On 1/25/2018 at 9:28 PM, LouCarJo said:

I love the fact you have steak as a goal!  The sandwich filler between hard physical work ;-)

 

Thanks guys! I have now formalized them into my signature :) 

 

On 1/24/2018 at 9:20 PM, Hazard said:

:lol:.  I’ve done similiar with my slow cooker.  Got the food all ready to go and turned the cooker on, only to find hours later that I forgot to plug in the cord. :hopelessness:

 

On 1/24/2018 at 9:50 PM, GregT. said:

I have never done this. I am perfect.  I never forget to plug it in or turn it on.    Oh wait, I mean I have done this several times.  My personal favorite is making it to take to work the next day so over night cooking, and waking up to a horrid smell because you got the water you needed in the measuring cup, and you are sure it is the right amount, because it is still on the counter.

 

Glad to know I 'm not alone in this :D 

 

On 1/28/2018 at 5:34 PM, zenLara said:

I find your smile and cheerful greeting goal a nice experiment. How is it going? Are you noticing any changes in how people you frequently see behave/talk to you (co-workers, neighbours...)? How does it make you feel?

 

I'm sorry about the steak, but don't despair, it isn't that difficult. And you've learnt a lot from your first experience with it; in just one time you learnt plenty of things you don't have to do :D kidding. I'm sure that goal will soon be yours!

To be honest I have kind of forgotten about it.  In the beginning I noticed it myself in how I interacted with people, but I didn't notice anything from others' reactions.  I may come back and try it again in a future challenge

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now