• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

The Arruvia Conspiracy - Beast Mode

OK folks, I'm calling this challenge early; it just isn't happening.

The first couple of weeks the whole family had the flu, then about a week later Ghostlet came down with a bacterial infection that is highly resistant to antibiotics and he has been in the hospital since the second half of last week.  His white blood cell count this morning is coming back down to near normal levels which is a good sign, but Mi Vieja and I have taken turns spending time at the hospital with him so pretty much nothing challenge-wise was happening.

The only thing I have to update is that some night during the last few days (I have no idea what day it was) I had a hankering for fettuccine alfredo so when I got home from the hospital at midnight I made some with salmon

UgPO90A.jpg 

It didn't look great but it tasted really good.  Next time I am going to have to let it simmer a little longer because the parmesan wasn't completed melted

• Like 4

3 hours ago, GregT. said:

I am glad to hear that Ghostlet is on the mend.  Hey life happens.  Challenge isn't that important you can always do it later. 

Yeah, challenges will come and go.  This one didn't do either.  Plan now is to just rest up and get ready for the next one.

31 minutes ago, deftona said:

Sorry to hear about Ghostlet, I hope he's well enough to come home soon.

Doctor this afternoon said he still needs two more days of IV, but he can go home at night and then just come back during the day.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

it's not like you gave up entirely and binged on junk food

Uh, yeah. About that...

200.gif

I feel like I have mostly eaten crap this whole month and it is showing.  My jeans that used to be falling off my hips are now so tight that I have to leave the top button open to sit down :(  

On the other hand, it is winter bulking season after all, right? :D 

In all seriousness, I know it isn't a real concern for me because this month has been pretty bad but things will pick up once it gets warmer.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I know it isn't a real concern for me because this month has been pretty bad

You've identifed the issue, but I'm not sure whether this is you not beating up yourself about it or you excusing yourself about it. Do you? ;)

Anyway, more reason to kick the ass of next challenge!

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Yeah, challenges will come and go.  This one didn't do either.  Plan now is to just rest up and get ready for the next one.

Doctor this afternoon said he still needs two more days of IV, but he can go home at night and then just come back during the day.

Good news, hope he recovers fully soon.

Nice to know Ghostlet is recovering. And spending time in a hospital is so depressing, specially for kids.

I wouldn't worry about your food choices, that's been a tough situation and you managed it the better you could. Take care of your kid and yourself and come back for next challenge!

• Like 1

So sorry to hear about Ghostlet...sick kids is a 'clear all the decks of all other priorities' situation. Take care of yourself, yes, in terms of getting as much rest as you can and trying to get regular food, but otherwise, gosh...you're doing all the things already. 

Hope Ghostlet is back to health super soon!

3 hours ago, zenLara said:

Nice to know Ghostlet is recovering. And spending time in a hospital is so depressing, specially for kids.

I wouldn't worry about your food choices, that's been a tough situation and you managed it the better you could. Take care of your kid and yourself and come back for next challenge!

1 hour ago, otterbyte said:

So sorry to hear about Ghostlet...sick kids is a 'clear all the decks of all other priorities' situation. Take care of yourself, yes, in terms of getting as much rest as you can and trying to get regular food, but otherwise, gosh...you're doing all the things already. 

^^^ QFT

also that salmon alfredo looked heavenly! can't believe you had the energy to make it! sending you and your family well wishes.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

The first couple of weeks the whole family had the flu, then about a week later Ghostlet came down with a bacterial infection that is highly resistant to antibiotics and he has been in the hospital since the second half of last week.  His white blood cell count this morning is coming back down to near normal levels which is a good sign, but Mi Vieja and I have taken turns spending time at the hospital with him so pretty much nothing challenge-wise was happening.

11 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Sorry to hear about Ghostlet, but so glad he is already doing better!

That Alfredo looks good, actually.

All the best for the rest of the week for you and family.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

but I'm not sure whether this is you not beating up yourself about it or you excusing yourself about it. Do you? ;)

Haha, fair point.  I have been intentionally bulking the last couple of months, but did not intend to stop working out to go with it. So maybe a little of both? :D   Either way, I will have to ramp things up next challenge to make up for it.

12 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

Good news, hope he recovers fully soon.

11 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

That's a really nasty infection Ghostlet came down with - glad he's getting better.

11 hours ago, zenLara said:

11 hours ago, raptron said:

Aw, man, poor kiddo! 

10 hours ago, otterbyte said:

5 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Sorry to hear about Ghostlet, but so glad he is already doing better!

Thanks everyone.  I really felt bad for the poor kid.  He has been sick more days than he has been healthy this year, so 2018 hasn't gotten off to a good start for him.  This time he started to get sick on his birthday, so instead of having cake and opening presents, he got and IV and a bunch of nasty meds.  He still hasn't opened half of his presents yet and his birthday cake is in the fridge but probably inedible at this point.  My sister asked him how his birthday was and all he could say was "memorable"...

Oh, speaking of which, I don't think I mentioned it here yet but my sister and her husband are in town.  Last challenge I went back to the US for my sister's wedding, they were planning to go to Hawaii or someplace nice for their honeymoon but her husband had a business trip to Asia (China & Singapore) so they changed it have their honeymoon over here.  They stopped by Beijing to see us for 4 days, and while it was great to see them, it meant that Mi Vieja and I were coordinating between taking care of Ghostlet at the hospital, entertaining my sister & her husband, and dealing with work stuff.  None of us have had much sleep the last few days :( 

8 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

also that salmon alfredo looked heavenly! can't believe you had the energy to make it! sending you and your family well wishes.

5 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

That Alfredo looks good, actually.

I didn't really have the energy to make it, but I really, really, wanted it for some reason so I made it anyway.  :D I'm surprised it turned out as well as it did.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

He still hasn't opened half of his presents yet and his birthday cake is in the fridge but probably inedible at this point.  My sister asked him how his birthday was and all he could say was "memorable"...

Awww shame *hugs for Ghostlet* At least  he has something to look forward to, and come on dad! Bake him a new cake! You can do it. ;)

Great that your sister and her husband could spend some time with you guys.

wow that is seriously a lot going on. also what company makes someone travel for work when their honeymoon is scheduled?! (rhetorical question, you don't have to tell me where he works, but come ON! that's terrible)

• Like 1

I hope Ghostlet feels better soon! You've had a lot going on, so if you feel like you've worked enough for this challenge, it's totally OK to end it a bit sooner :)

On 30.1.2018 at 11:25 AM, WhiteGhost said:

On the other hand, it is winter bulking season after all, right? :D 

That's what I've been telling myself, too :D

19 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Awww shame *hugs for Ghostlet* At least  he has something to look forward to, and come on dad! Bake him a new cake! You can do it. ;)

Great that your sister and her husband could spend some time with you guys.

Yeah, we will have to do something for him.  Lst night he said he would like me to make him some brownies, so I will probably do that.

15 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

wow that is seriously a lot going on. also what company makes someone travel for work when their honeymoon is scheduled?! (rhetorical question, you don't have to tell me where he works, but come ON! that's terrible)

I think I may have misrepresented the situation a little.  They were in the early stages of planning their honeymoon when this trip came up and they decided to change their plans to do this instead. My sister used to live in Hawaii so the opportunity to come to China (where she had never been) was more exciting.  

11 hours ago, Ensi said:

I hope Ghostlet feels better soon! You've had a lot going on, so if you feel like you've worked enough for this challenge, it's totally OK to end it a bit sooner :)

Thanks.  I am not ending early because I have done enough, though. I am ending because I am so far behind that it has become a lost cause :D 

9 hours ago, annyshay said:

That is a lot of things. You are still kicking. Hope Ghostlet gets home soon!

Thanks, more kicking to come in the next challenge :) 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Lst night he said he would like me to make him some brownies, so I will probably do that.

If you need a recipe, I have a seriously rich, seriously divine, 1T cake flour recipe which has never flopped. But it sounds like he knows you have something or have made him chocolate brownies before ;)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, elizevdmerwe said:

If you need a recipe, I have a seriously rich, seriously divine, 1T cake flour recipe which has never flopped. But it sounds like he knows you have something or have made him chocolate brownies before ;)

I would absolutely never turn down a great recipe :D 

He loves brownies, but he prefers the ones from the box better than my homemade ones because mine are not as sweet

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

I would absolutely never turn down a great recipe :D 

He loves brownies, but he prefers the ones from the box better than my homemade ones because mine are not as sweet

Rich chocolate brownie cake:

210g (70% preferably but I use ordinary dark baking chocolate) dark chocolate

190g (210ml) butter (salted doesn't matter)

250g (310ml) sugar (you can make this a bit less. I have used castor sugar but brown sugar tastes better for us)

5 eggs (large will do)

15ml (1T) cakeflour (I've substituted with 1T coconut flour with success)

Heat your oven to 190C. Melt the chocolate and butter in microwave (or over double pot on stove).

Stir the sugar in well, and let it cool off.

Add the eggs one by one, and beat mixture well in between every egg you add.

Add the flour and mix well.

Pour mixture into a (well sprayed/buttered) chocolate brownie pan and bake for 22-25min. The cake has to be a little bit soft in the centre, but not raw.

They say to take it out and immediately turn out and let it cool. We've always kept it in the glass pan and let it cool there, then cut it straight from the glass pan.

It forms a bit of a crust on top, like a thin crunchy layer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Rich chocolate brownie cake:

210g (70% preferably but I use ordinary dark baking chocolate) dark chocolate

190g (210ml) butter (salted doesn't matter)

250g (310ml) sugar (you can make this a bit less. I have used castor sugar but brown sugar tastes better for us)

5 eggs (large will do)

15ml (1T) cakeflour (I've substituted with 1T coconut flour with success)

Heat your oven to 190C. Melt the chocolate and butter in microwave (or over double pot on stove).

Stir the sugar in well, and let it cool off.

Add the eggs one by one, and beat mixture well in between every egg you add.

Add the flour and mix well.

Pour mixture into a (well sprayed/buttered) chocolate brownie pan and bake for 22-25min. The cake has to be a little bit soft in the centre, but not raw.

They say to take it out and immediately turn out and let it cool. We've always kept it in the glass pan and let it cool there, then cut it straight from the glass pan.

It forms a bit of a crust on top, like a thin crunchy layer.

these sound so divine. i didn't know what you meant by 1T flour. now i know

*wipes up drool

• Like 2