• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Theria

A Realistic Journey

Hello everyone. To be honest I stared at this blank box for way longer than necessary so I'm just going to type and see what comes out of me because I have to work on just getting going, and not stressing about prepping everything to be perfect to the point that I never get off the starting line.

I am a 34 year old woman (gosh saying 'woman' makes me feel old. I still want to say girl) in South Florida. I teach full time and am going to school full time to get my Master's degree, so I'm often busy and stressed. At the same time my sister, boyfriend, and I are trying to pursue creative projects which we would like to produce revenue in the future, in addition to tacking issues that seem to keep coming up with our house.

My nerd cred includes a long history of gaming (mostly video games but I've been getting into tabletop more lately), love of fantasy and scifi, anime, and technology overall. We build our own computers and tend to use Google to DIY most of the repairs in our house. I'm a huge reader when I actually have the free time and mental clarity for it. My biggest fandoms are Harry Potter (go Hufflepuff!) and Doctor Who. I'd love to lose enough weight to be able to comfortably cosplay.

As for fitness, I am 5'3" and weight 245 lb. I have always been overweight, even as a child. I have asthma, which inhibits my ability to work out and when you throw in my allergies, outdoor exercise is pretty much off the table at the moment. I also have PCOS, which affects how my body produces and responds to insulin, and also throws my hormones out of whack. Even working with my doctors, they have told me losing weight will be very difficult for me. Oh and I also have ADD (unfortunately not the hyperactive type, but the sit and zone out and forget everything type) so even when I make plans to improve my health, I struggle to stick with it because I literally forget about it.

I've successfully managed to lose some weight in the past (the most I ever lost was 30 pounds), but it took extreme measures in terms of diet and it just wasn't sustainable. I joined an exercise class and followed it religiously, working my ass off. My overall fitness did improve a bit, but after a year of working out, I hadn't lost any weight, and my measurements didn't change much at all either so I couldn't justify the cost and time commitment away from my family.

This all sounds like a lot of whining and excuse making, but I swear I'm just trying to put it out there and be realistic about my situation so I know what I'm in for and don't make overly zealous plans or expect results that others get. I recognize that progress will be slow for me, and I need to find ways to measure that which go beyond the scale and inches. That's why a lot of my plan this month revolves around establishing criteria and making myself more aware of my body.

As for why I'm here, I discovered Nerd Fitness probably about a year ago and love the articles and idea of it, but never really jumped it. Then last night I had a dream that I met Steve Kamb (weird, I know) and I'm taking it as a sign to finally jump on in. Overall I want to lose weight and improve my fitness levels. I've found that I actually enjoy running, even though it's very difficult for me, and I've even completed a few 5ks in just under the required hour. I want to keep working on this and eventually be able to do a nerdy half marathon, like the Star Wars on at Disney etc.

So I guess that's me. Sorry for the long winded post, and here it goes:

My January Challenge

1. Determine measurement criteria and take all starting measurements including weight, strength, and flexibility.

2. Wear and sync Fitbit every day

3. Complete Zombie!Run5k 3x/week on treadmill

4. Create and post five cross stitch designs on Etsy

*bonus* track daily habits in Habitica

• Like 1

Then last night I had a dream that I met Steve Kamb (weird, I know) 

Not at all. I also dream of Steve (he's the one in the bottle, right?) but I didn't see you there. This obviously means that Steve can move in and out of our dreams at will.

What's Zombie!Run5k? Do you have a link?

• Haha 1

Welcome! I had a really similar experience before finally taking the leap into NF. I actually started following what the website said and was too afraid to make my first post for like 4 months! Zombies run is a great app, and I have had a lot of fun with it. I hope it helps! Following for support!

4 hours ago, Arcelas the n00b said:

Not at all. I also dream of Steve (he's the one in the bottle, right?) but I didn't see you there. This obviously means that Steve can move in and out of our dreams at will.

What's Zombie!Run5k? Do you have a link?

lol, glad to know I'm not the only one.

Zombies, Run! is an app that plays audio missions while you run, simulating as if you were in a zombie apocalypse. The sound of a zombie moaning behind you can be quite motivating : p

Zombies, Run!5k is a training version of the app for people who aren't runners yet. It's essentially a couch to 5k program, designed around a zombie apocalypse audio story.

Both are here: https://zombiesrungame.com/

• Like 1

Hey, fun to meet another Runner 5!   Running hasn’t been a great source of weight loss for me either, but I love what it’s done for my strength and energy levels!  

What kind of cross-stitch patterns do you design?  I have just started dipping my toes into the craft. I’m a big fan of Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery, although I haven’t actually pulled the trigger on buying anything from them yet. I love the diversity of patterns available through Etsy - it’s so inspiring!

1 hour ago, Radost said:

What kind of cross-stitch patterns do you design?  I have just started dipping my toes into the craft. I’m a big fan of Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery, although I haven’t actually pulled the trigger on buying anything from them yet. I love the diversity of patterns available through Etsy - it’s so inspiring!

Mainly geeky things. So far all we've done is a Doctor Who quote, and Sic Parvis Magna from Uncharted, but we want to do more. https://www.etsy.com/shop/KimoshiCraft?ref=pr_shop_more

I never heard of Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery  but their stuff looks really cute. I'd love to be able to design stuff like that.

3 hours ago, Machete said:

@Cataleya, I found another one.

Welcome. You are not alone.

As Machete hinted, you're definitely not alone! I'm in a similar boat. I'm a Slytherin with hypothyroidism and PCOS. I've been doing tennis, running (C25K--also a pretty slow runner--my fastest 5K was something like 45 minutes), and strength training to help myself. And medicine adherence, of course. I'm at around 203 right now, trying to get down to 160 or so and see how I feel from that. Losing weight is really hard with those conditions, but it is possible. We're just playing on hard mode. :)

• Like 2

Definitely not alone, I had a complete hysterectomy 4 years ago and still have all the symptoms of PCOS and insulin resistance. I also do 5k's! Walking, not running...shin splints are a thing! But I can walk one in under an hour :D 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2018 at 3:09 AM, Elice.Brigadd said:

So far all we've done is a Doctor Who quote

I just looked at this and I am so going to have to buy one at some stage...probably not while I'm in China though.  Love it so much!  Hope your Challenge has gone well so far

On 1/9/2018 at 4:17 AM, RES said:

But I can walk one in under an hour :D 

Damn fast walkers :P I'm tall ish so people expect that I'll walk fast, but since all my friends growing up were shorter, I kind of just got used to always slowing down so my natural pace is probably slower than most.

~ Barbs

• Like 2

On 1/29/2018 at 8:24 AM, Barbs said:

Damn fast walkers :P I'm tall ish so people expect that I'll walk fast, but since all my friends growing up were shorter, I kind of just got used to always slowing down so my natural pace is probably slower than most.

Put your earbuds in, find a good walking playlist, and just go...you'd be surprised how fast you can walk 3 miles :D 

On 2/6/2018 at 12:44 AM, Barbs said:

Any recommendations for what I should try out?

Depends on what platform you use and what genre you prefer...I have spotify and they actually have playlists 'prebuilt' that you can follow, I personally prefer to do my own with some faster paced music that I like and add to it as I find others