• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

KTYBUG

Get more protein?

Happy New Year Everyone! I've decided to go 90% Paleo as a new years resolution. Unfortunately, I'm a big dairy girl and things like cheese, yogurt and cottage cheese are staples in my house. I cannot stomach seafood so that's bummer and I'd like to aim for 130-150 grams of protein per day. How can I get more protein while sticking to my goal? Any suggestions are welcome and much appreciated! :D

I know that milk products are technically out but I still eat cottage cheese. It's very low in lactose and most people who are lactose intolerant can handle it. it provides me protein and lots of yummy calcium for my arthritic knees.

4 hours ago, calanthrophy said:

Eat more animals.

Yup. Definitely this.

Also I do like @Dilnad's suggestion of cottage cheese, even if it's not Paleo (though it WOULD be considered Primal).  I guess beans and tofu would also work as a method of upping protein count, though they aren't the tastiest of options, in my opinion.

If you're not sensitive to dairy, you're "part time" paleo - or paleo-ish LOL - and doing more of a Low Carb diet. I wouldn't get stuck on it if it's not for you - but more meat, eggs and (if you're into them) protein powders are all ways to get more protein into your diet. 

I'm not "full" paleo, but I'm trying to limit\reduce carbs. I just try not to go overboard on the cheese (but I'm totally Western European descent so milk isn't an issue for me). I do protein shakes in the morning PURELY for convenience (I travel almost constantly and breakfast on the road is too easy to default to a bagel) and I'm trying to work more salads + protein into my routine rather than protein "on a bed of rice" with an occasional veggie :) It's all about doing what works for your body and lifestyle. While I TRY to limit processed foods at home, I don't think I could do this without bagged salads. I may start using my own dressings though, the ones in the bagged mixes are loaded with sodium and\or sugar - but baby steps!

Does paleo, by definition exclude stuff like "Whey" powders?

...even if it does: would you consider an exception to your desire to have a strict Paleo diet??

...Technically, eating more Protein is Not all that hard.  Altering your diet to get a Higher protein percentage naturally, though, that would surely be much harder.