• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Leigh

Literaleigh the Most Important Things I Need to Do

So I'm sick... again...

If anyone remembers from last challenge I go stupidly ill and wasn't able to do much of anything gym wise since I couldn't stop coughing and I'm also just not a jackass and I stay home when I'm sick. Nobody needs whatever plague can ever get through my usually killer immune system. I got over that bug and then a week later landed a new one! I was rocking a brutal fever and full body pain for 5 straight days. And I actually had to go to work on all of those days because my boss was away and there isn't anyone at work who can step in for me at all ever. It sucks, but anyhow...

I'm also sick and tired of how my life currently is and I'm going to change that. I'm going to write out a list of all the things I'm annoyed with in my life and I'm going to tackle them all one by one starting with these five things.

Money Management:

I've got about $10000 of debt that I've been very, very slowly and erratically chipping away at and I'm sick of the sight of the giant negative balance I see when I log into my online banking. I'm going to change this. I need to change this. I've been a terrible adult and have been late in paying my rent and my phone bill each month for longer than I can reasonably remember. I've been rock solid in paying my gym fees and making sure I had bus pass funds available when I needed them all of last year, but rent and the phone bill always got put off. I'm going to be challenging myself to have my share of the rent paid in full by the 4th of each month (can't pay rent on weekends, holidays or when I'm stuck at work from before they open until after they close) And my phone bill will be paid in full within 8 hours of it being sent to me. No excuses.

In regards to spending. I want to enact a shopping ban, similar to what @pureleeawesome is doing and only spend money on daily necessities or things that are on an approved buying list

As for debt and savings, I will be putting $100 towards each on the day I get paid. And if when I get paid again I have money left over from the previous pay cheque that is not needed for an immediate and important reason (vet bill, replacing things like my work shoes, glasses etc) I'm going to divide that amount by 3 and 1/3 is for savings and 2/3 is going onto the debt.

Cooking:

This is slightly linked to the money stuff because I spend far too much on shitty fast food and convenience foods that it's getting totally out of hand. We order in pizza at least three times a month, and get cheap take out about once a week and there is no reason for it other than being totally lazy. The worst part is that I don't even really enjoy the food we buy most of the time. I might as well just throw the money off my balcony for all the good is does me. In an effort to stop throwing my money away I plan on cooking all my own food at home. I want to see less empty pop bottles in my recycling bin and more sauce jars. I want to see less crumpled up fast food wrappings in my trash bin and more meat/veggies scraps. If my lovely girlfriend wants to order pizza, she can get it with her own money and I will say thanks, but no thanks and go make myself some real food.

I'm making 3 reasonably exceptions to this plan:

• I can get iced caps from Tim's with ONLY my tips money (I make so little in tips that I think that's fair)
  • I can get garlic bread if my girlfriend or my sister orders pizza, but ONLY once per month
  • I can eat the food at work, because I'm trying to get out of debt, and food at work is free.

Gym:

I need to go at least once a week for winter. I'm not going to demand more than that for gym trips each week because the walk there and back in winter conditions is shitty at best, and hazardous at worst. That and with the New Year's crowd in there it's honestly not very much fun to go in January and February. But I still need to go. I'm paying for it and it's a waste of money not to go. I will allow myself a tiny reward if I do go more than once a week. I get to buy a hot chocolate brownie from my local Mucho Burrito on the way home on my 2nd trip of the week. I will treat myself for a personal sized chocolate milk on the 3rd trip.

Chores:

My home is a disgusting place to live in right now. I'm not the only person responsible for the mess but I am likely to be the only person who does anything about it. I'm also sick and tired of nagging everyone around me to do their damn chores all the time so I'm just going to do them myself. I almost want to unleash my inner passive aggressive bitch and post up one of those time check off pages on the bathroom door and above the kitchen sink and beside the recycling bin listing when it was last taken care of and by who. My sister has the habit of leaving her bagged garbage in the kitchen in front of the recycling bin because she doesn't want to get dressed to walk it down the hall to the trash chute. Hell she doesn't even do her own laundry, she gets out room mate Jordan to do it. I almost want to start piling it up on top of her work shoes the next time she does this. It takes literally 1 minute to walk down the hall, open the door, step in, open the chute, throw the bag down, and walk back to our unit and yet she can't be bothered to do it. She could leave literally ONE MINUTE early for work and take her trash with her but she doesn't. She hasn't taken out the recycling ever. We've lived in this building since 2011 and she's never taken out the recycling.

So I'm giving myself one small chore to do each day, something that only takes 5-10 minutes to do

Chore Chart

Knitting:

It's simply something that I enjoy doing, and frankly I need to do it since my yarn collection is getting out of hand, and I also don't have a hat or scarf for myselg for this winter. My old hats were covered in an impossible amount of cat hair and our recently deceased cat Jazz spent a great deal of time snuggled into my favourite hand made hat that it smelled horrid so I threw it away. I want to finish the hat I started for myself and start a scarf and finish it before the challenge is finished. I'll post up a photo when it's done :)

• Like 4

First of all, I love your challenge title. It's very punny.

Second, I am glad you're back.

Thirdly, I'm proud of you. This is going to be awesome.

• Like 1

Money:

Rent is paid, and money has only been spent on approved items and on dinner out with my sister last night.

Cooking:

I've been doing okay for eating at home so far. My sister did get us all dinner on Friday night so I'm not sure what to call that one, since I got decent take out, but I didn't pay for it... :P

I've really got to get some decent snack foods though, because it's really annoying when you're just a little but hungry but you don't have anything you can eat in less than five minutes that doesn't need to be cooked.

Gym:

I'll be heading out soonish, just need to finish a bit of work stuff and poke my room mate. I got him to sign up for the gym this past Friday so I've got someone to go with again :D

Chores:

I've been knocking things off my list on a daily basis and I think I can keep up the momentum :) I want to alter the list I posted to make it like a check list so that I can track what is getting done each week to hold myself accountable.

Knitting:

I sadly had to restart my hat :( I honestly couldn't make the colour bands match up when sewing up the back so I frogged the whole thing and started over again with circular needles so that I don't need to sew it all together.

• Like 3

Money:

I picked up some much needed groceries on the way home from the gym last night and am pleased with how much I got for the amount I spent. Although I'm kicking myself for not seeing the $1 off coupon stuck to the front of my cereal box :( Oh well! I can use it for the next box :D I've also managed to make enough in tips twice this week to go get an iced cap from Tim's but have resisted the temptation! I've also said no three times to offers of "I'm going to the store to buy useless crap and junk food, want anything?" this week.

Cooking:

I was honestly not at all hungry last night so I just kind of grabbed a few snack like items and nibbled on them after the gym. I don't like to eat a whole meal if I'm not feeling it. The whole clear your plate mentality so many of us grew up with is just the fast lane for overeating and weight gain if you ask me. That and it's costly. If I'm not hungry, I'm not going to force myself to eat $8 worth of groceries because I feel like I should be eating. I'll just have a few deli slices, some cheese and a piece of fruit which costs less than $2 on average and be satisfied. Tonight I'm not sure what I'll have, most likely some root veggies and broccoli cheese baked chicken :) It's filling without being calorie heavy and fast to make.

Gym:

Walked over last night with my room mate and when we got there it was so damn packed I had to just abandon my boots on the floor against a wall in the women's locker room because the boot racks were full and the over-spill area covered the entire entry way and half way down this little hall with long benches for cooling off or waiting for classes to start etc. It was nuts! I think we wound up finding two treadmills and powerwalking for a half hour before going home. I fucking HATE January at the gym :( Like I'm happy that people are making an effort to be more active, but fuck off! I was already semi active and you're making me lazy because I can't use any of the stuff I want to use!

Oh well! Better to go and just walk fake hills for a half hour than not go at all right?

Chores:

I've got dishes to do and kitty litter to clean and a trash bag to take out. Should take about ten minutes :) We'll see about sweeping depending on the kitty litter over spill.

Knitting:

Tonight I plan on making dinner, watching a few more episodes of Longmire on Netflix, and knitting until I reach the next colour block in my yarn or until I'm tired.

See you tomorrow Nerds!

• Like 2

Money:
Added $3.25 from random tips into my change box today :)

Gym:
Cancelled due to freezing rain.

Chores:
Dishes, trash, and kitty litter all done for today, recycling held off because of freezing rain. The blue bin dumpsters are in the back parking lot and it is a death trap of black ice.

Food:
Had breakfast at home, lunch at work and a little plate of snack like things for dinner because as before, I'm not really hungry. So dinner was a gala apple with peanut butter, some deli slices (mmmmmmm..... Pepperoni) and string cheese.

Knitting:
Knocked out a few more rows on my hat but I wasn't really focused on it at all tonight.

Question for you lovely Nerds... Anyone have any advice in what to do for super twingy slightly stiff hips? I usually have really good hip flexibility but they are both just horribly out of whack lately and I don't know why :( as of this past week, sitting at my desk in a good chair is painful.

Random thought: grasshoppers are chill little introverts. Locusts are coked up extroverts high as balls at a candy store.

Sent from my WAS-L03T using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Friday:

• Money
    • phone bill paid in full
    • $100 towards debt paid
    • spent a little money on things on my approved buying list (skin care, deodorant, shampoo for my girlfriend since she ran out)
    • got Tims for dinner, but it was paid for with my tips, and a gift card that we got over Christmas
  • Gym
    • cancelled due to dangerous weather. For real, I watched the weather change 4 times in an hour, the temp went from +11 to -11 in an hour and it was off and on raining and thick fog all over the place. Then as soon as I left work it started snowing like crazy.
  • Chores
    • I did absolutely nothing. :(
  • Food
    • as mentioned, we had Tim's for dinner, so not great, but I tried something new so there's that right?
  • Knitting
    • nothing accomplished at all, I was too wiped out from work this week.

Today:

• Money
    • $100 into savings account
    • got a good haul from the grocery store for about $100 ish
    • spent a little money getting my gf, my m.i.l. and myself a drink on the way to the grocery store because we all know that shopping while hungry or thirsty is dangerous. That and she drives us pretty much anywhere we need to go, so getting her a cup of tea is just polite :P
  • Gym
    • my hip is still being stupid so I laid out in bed all morning and into the early afternoon just reading, researching better shoes, googling random thoughts and being lazy
  • Chores
    • nothing yet, but my room mates did some work last night while I was being a lazy ass so there's not really much to do at the moment. Also both of them are taking naps so cleaning would be kind of rude, since the only thing that I can see that needs to be done is clean the bathroom or vacuum, both tasks are very noisy so I'll wait until they are awake.
  • Food
    • didn't really eat much today, but then again you don't really need food when you're sprawled out in bed reading for like 9 hours straight. :P dinner will happen if I get hungry later on.
  • Knitting
    • nothing accomplished today.
  • Like 3

If you are looking for easy cheap snack ideas (I struggle with these, too), I try to keep hardboiled eggs, cream cheese and crackers, applesauce, yoghurt, and a container of powdered broth for instant soup (or less instant, if I want wontons and veggies, but still fast and size-adjustable).

I am also working on knitting a hat after a long knitting hiatus. #hatbuddies

• Like 2

Sunday:

I woke up with a migraine that lasted the entire day. So I did sweet shit all. I lounged in bed, binged on Netflix and folded clean laundry. I did help with dinner though and met my "eat real food" goal for dinner but not for the rest of the day.

• Sad 1

I wish to stab my boss and my staff today...

None of them read the message I sent out about how payroll handled the wage change (min wage went up A LOT) and they all started texting me saying they were not paid correctly... so I had to explain it to each and every one of them.... twice...

My boss threw me under the fucking bus with our regional rep today... when he could have done this:

Rep: oh hey, this thing is wrong..

Boss : Leigh, can you come here for a sec? This thing is wrong

Me: *explains the thing and how it was not wrong, or if it was, find out where I went wrong*

instead he went and tried to bullshit some answers that made no sense so I got politely yelled at over something that would have been explained as simply as this "The paper work you are looking for was knocked to the floor and the delivery driver rolled the dolly over it this morning. It was damaged beyond repair and I was not able to recreate it. Sorry" <-- that actually happened...

So my day SUUUUCKED at work...

I'll post more about challenge goals later on. I'm too damn mad to think right now.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2018 at 4:14 PM, Leigh said:

instead he went and tried to bullshit some answers that made no sense so I got politely yelled at over something that would have been explained as simply as this "The paper work you are looking for was knocked to the floor and the delivery driver rolled the dolly over it this morning. It was damaged beyond repair and I was not able to recreate it. Sorry" <-- that actually happened...

WOW

:-/  

Getting back on track with following you.

I like this challenge, easy enough but enough to extend things.

How has been the restricting buying stuff? I've personally found the last few weeks of being responsible with my money with my mother, and found how quickly I impulsively bought things and especially to "feel good". Let's say it got hard some days... Have you ran into any similar problems.

Sorry to hear about your shitty boss situation, sounds like they were never meant to have that paper work... Hope the week gets better for you!

image.png.ac5d6aced10a4948fee5d164becd25e8.png

If you have a smart phone download the Fortune City app, it lets you track where you are spending your money and it builds a little city that you can manage a bit. It's been helpful for me because it does a little pie chart deal showing where you are spending money and it tracks how much you spend each day, I find the information to be helpful and the app is adorable so I have been really diligent about keeping it accurate and up to date. It's also a free app so that's handy :P

As for restricted buying I've mostly been good (I had take out last night on my dime because work was so freaking shitty that I was too stressed out to say "no thanks" when my roomie asked if I wanted McDonalds. I have been REALLY bad about chores though. I blame part of that on bad moods spilling from work into non work time, how damn cold my floor is, and my desire to get through all of Longmire as quickly as possible. I finished Longmire last night (Currently one of my favourite shoes ever now) so I think I'll have to try and avoid Netflix for a while so I don't fall into the trap that is binge watching TV in bed.

Although burritoing in bed with Netflix has allowed me to knock off a few more inches on my hat :)

I just need to park myself at my desk for a bit and do some research into where I can find a decent selection of minimalist shoes in one mall in my city before I can reasonably go back to the gym. Turns out my hips feel a hell of a lot better if I'm barefoot on the floor doing stuff rather than in my usual work shoes (chucks with birkenstock insoles) so I want to see if I can find some really, really minimalist shoes for the gym since I can't go barefoot there and I would like to be able to walk/jog/sprint in shoes that don't blister my feet. Because anyone who has tried to do that kind of cardio in chucks can tell you how much they wreck your toes.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Leigh said:

If you have a smart phone download the Fortune City app, it lets you track where you are spending your money and it builds a little city that you can manage a bit. It's been helpful for me because it does a little pie chart deal showing where you are spending money and it tracks how much you spend each day, I find the information to be helpful and the app is adorable so I have been really diligent about keeping it accurate and up to date. It's also a free app so that's handy :P

I know it seems ironic, but this is the 5th thing in a few days where I NEED to a get an upgrade of a phone... The app sounds wonderful.

57 minutes ago, Leigh said:

As for restricted buying I've mostly been good (I had take out last night on my dime because work was so freaking shitty that I was too stressed out to say "no thanks" when my roomie asked if I wanted McDonalds. I have been REALLY bad about chores though. I blame part of that on bad moods spilling from work into non work time, how damn cold my floor is, and my desire to get through all of Longmire as quickly as possible. I finished Longmire last night (Currently one of my favourite shoes ever now) so I think I'll have to try and avoid Netflix for a while so I don't fall into the trap that is binge watching TV in bed.

Totally understand that feeling of messing up. I personally was surprised by my own feelings of withdraw (thanking god I never did recreation drugs, just from what I'm finding I'm pretty much addicted to).

I myself have given myself a Netflix restriction for one of my challenges, which I'm passing. But now failing on staying off Facebook....
Do you have anything else you do while knitting? I personally tired to take up knitting during my winter breaks (reorganized my small yarn supplies, but ended up getting distracted by other things- even though I probably should work on knitting for the health benefits mentally).

1 hour ago, Leigh said:

Although burritoing in bed with Netflix has allowed me to knock off a few more inches on my hat :)

There's a reason I believe why knitting is seen more of a cold weather activity. Cant' wait to see what you come up with!

1 hour ago, Leigh said:

just need to park myself at my desk for a bit and do some research into where I can find a decent selection of minimalist shoes in one mall in my city before I can reasonably go back to the gym. Turns out my hips feel a hell of a lot better if I'm barefoot on the floor doing stuff rather than in my usual work shoes (chucks with birkenstock insoles) so I want to see if I can find some really, really minimalist shoes for the gym since I can't go barefoot there and I would like to be able to walk/jog/sprint in shoes that don't blister my feet. Because anyone who has tried to do that kind of cardio in chucks can tell you how much they wreck your toes.

You will have to share if you find anything! I tried Vibrams, loved them but at the same time ran intro problems (ended up throwing them out because all the toes were getting holes, that led to sores...). Your problems with Chucks makes sense on the blisters (makes a bit more sense with the problems I had for long hiking with my own pair).

I've got my eye on some Xero Shoes Prio but I'm waiting to see if I can find them in a physical store because I hate buying things online, waiting for them to ship to be only to find out I got the wrong size... but the only store that sells them is in another city and I don't often have a ride to get there and they don't stock them in winter... I could head down to Toronto sometime and check out a store there that sells them and they do ship free in Canada, but I still don't want to deal with getting the wrong size on something that's about $144 after tax... >_> Damn my stupid feet! Curse this city for not selling spring/summer type shoes in winter!

Personally I wish I'd bought the second pair of these when I found them for $9 back in October O_O but I can't really run in them all that well. I get skate shoes 1/2 - 1 size bigger because that's how they fit best for me for work, but they would fly off my feet if I tried to jog in them haha. hell I haven't even bothered to tie them, they were perfect with the display tie up which just makes them look pretty but loose as hell. I love them, but they don't work for gym shoes unless all I was doing was lifting :(

DC-Spartan-High-WC-TX-Skate-Shoes-_25930

• Like 1

Short update because I've been a terrible Nerd this past week or so...

• Fired a useless employee
  • Did not go to the gym
  • Ate like a jackass
  • Was decent with money
  • Was a lazy slacker and did no chores at all
  • Like 1

Monday:

• went to the gym - jogged/walked 2 miles ish in my new shoes, so far so good, no pain in my legs or feet :D
  • ate out with my room mate who went to the gym with me.
  • did no chores! when I got home I was a bit jelly legged from the jogging and to tired to do dishes without risk of dropping them on the floor :P

My hat is finished! And I am about 1/3 of the way through the scarf, which is much, MUCH easier to work up. I'm debating on making a headband and another scarf or some fingerless gloves with another big cake of yarn because I think I would get more use out of it.

• Like 1

Tuesday:

• gym was a no because I wanted to see if I would have any lingering affects from new shoes and also double what I normally jog.
  • my girlfriend ordered us pizza and sides last night, which I deeply regret. I didn't enjoy it at all after the first slice and it was a HUGE waste of money. I'm mad at myself and I kind of want to yell at her for suggesting pizza when I have repeatedly said "I'm trying not to eat bad food" but she did offer to make me dinner, but she'd already mentioned pizza and my Id just went "GIMMIE THE PIZZA!"
  • chores: nadda, legs were a bit jello from jogging and I have several small cuts on my hands from work so I didn't want to clean anything because of how much cleaner in cuts hurts.

Today:

• made out like a bandit with tips today! Got over $6 which when working fast food is insane since people don't usually tip fast food workers :D
  • knitting: I'm about to sleep mode this lovely half dead computer of mine, put on some pjays and knit while watching Netflix.
  • chores: none yet, I'll list any I do in my post tomorrow, but likely none. I'm honestly just not feeling it and since we had pizza last night there's no dishes and I want to finish my scarf.
  • gym: not today. there is a metric fuck tonne of ice on the sidewalks and it's snowing which is dangerous since I can't see if I'm stepping onto black ice or not through the 2cm of snow. I'll go tomorrow. I want my hot chocolate brownie damnit! and since my roomie is working I can do what I want, stay as long or as short as I want and not feel at all bad about abandoning him :D

I know I shouldn't ever feel bad about wanting to go do my own thing at the gym, but I really feel like he enjoys going with me and kinda hanging out since we never hang out together outside the house and he rarely ever goes out on his own. That and it makes me feel awesome knowing he's a bit jealous that I can jog and he can't yet :P Pure selfish enjoyment there!

• Like 1