• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood - Lean and Strong 2.0

Sorry you had a rough night.  I guess it's good that your frustration wasn't conveyed to your opponent but at the same time it's not good to hold it in.  I typically have the urge to throw things but when I'm frustrated.  My go to responses are to have a good cry or divert my attention to something that doesn't require me to do or think much - so escaping to TV or playing Sims. The frustration either seeps away slowly or possibly just gets bottled up.  Hopefully not the latter.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

So today's question for y'all is, "What do you do to discharge hostile energy in a safe and healthy manner?"

giphy.webp

• Haha 2

Probably also not the best idea at night, but I put my earbuds in, crank something aggressive, and take a long walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My real answer is actually to take a hot bath or shower in the dark while listening to something really depressing like Townes Van Zandt, Leonard Cohen or Songs: Ohia. 

22 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

Dinner was MFG's grilled chicken and roasted cauliflower, to which I added some cheese for an ultra-light day at around 1400 kcal.  I truly wasn't hungry beyond that.  But then the evening wore on and my mood deteriorated into frustration at hiccups in my project and a string of really bad performances in my Rocket League matchups.  Muscle soreness conspired with some other physical discomforts to really drag me down--unfortunately I didn't recognize the need to step back until after I'd thrown a PS4 controller.

[...]

All through my Netflix binge I added another 1000 or so kcal of mostly-compliant food to end the day right on target, and all of that was due to legitimate hunger--I'm almost certain I wasn't eating my feelings because that probably wouldn't have stopped.

I suspect your energy levels and mood might have dropped due to hunger, even if you didn't feel like it earlier in the day ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ As for discharging energy, I remind myself that nothing really matters and we all die one day, and then I try to do a funny dance or whistle a bit. It's impossible to dance or whistle and be angry at the same time :P

22 hours ago, LadyShello said:

Sorry you had a rough night.  I guess it's good that your frustration wasn't conveyed to your opponent but at the same time it's not good to hold it in.  I typically have the urge to throw things but when I'm frustrated.  My go to responses are to have a good cry or divert my attention to something that doesn't require me to do or think much - so escaping to TV or playing Sims. The frustration either seeps away slowly or possibly just gets bottled up.  Hopefully not the latter.  

Thanks.  Truthfully I am a pretty good sport--I don't rage-quit or give up on the play just because I'm getting housed.  There's always something more I can learn or practice even by persisting in a clear loss.  And I always respect my opponents.  I only get frustrated at myself which, while probably not entirely healthy, at least isn't destructive.  Even my controller throw was aimed at the sofa cushions so nothing got broken. :D

The diversion of attention did seem to help.

22 hours ago, deftona said:

giphy.webp

I can't see this. :(  Work has it blocked and my phone won't load it. :P  I'm assuming it's hilarious.

giphy.gif

16 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Sjglwb.gif

How I discharge energy. 

I figured that would be Shello's method. ;)

15 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

Probably also not the best idea at night, but I put my earbuds in, crank something aggressive, and take a long walk.

I'll keep that in mind for daytime ops.  If I go out at night I'm on max alert.

15 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Real answer:

Can you get headphones so you can hear yourself play without waking the whole house?

Doodlie Answer

Image result for eyebrow gif

(also real answer if feasible)

Yes, my pedal board is set up so that I can direct out to headphones--maybe I should look in to getting a good pair of studio over-ears.

Doodlie answer is less workable.  MFG gets distant when I'm tetchy, and going solo just seems unpleasant.  For that matter angry pairing doesn't really fit my milieu either.

9 hours ago, deftona said:

My real answer is actually to take a hot bath or shower in the dark while listening to something really depressing like Townes Van Zandt, Leonard Cohen or Songs: Ohia. 

That's interesting.  I don't think I've ever showered in the dark or with music.  I did have a crazy impulse to shave my head, but I didn't follow through.

50 minutes ago, Ensi said:

I suspect your energy levels and mood might have dropped due to hunger, even if you didn't feel like it earlier in the day ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ As for discharging energy, I remind myself that nothing really matters and we all die one day, and then I try to do a funny dance or whistle a bit. It's impossible to dance or whistle and be angry at the same time :P

I considered that, but I also ate whenever I was hungry so I don't think I was suffering from 'hangry'.  I think it was more the soreness combined with a pretty ineffectual day at work that had me on the verge.  All of my dances are funny, so that could be an option.  I'm not much of a whistler, but I could try to say the word 'bubbles' as angrily as possible. :D

Thanks for chiming in, everyone.  I really enjoyed your input.  As I was thinking about what I want I realized that my ideal method would be to lace up the skates and go smack the puck around for a good long while.  And that spurred a further realization that I'm still not satisfied with my current situation.  This town flatly sucks in terms of what's available to non-military adults (and not just recreationally--the economics are screwed, too).  It may be time to start looking harder at moving on.

• Like 5

W4D5 - 2 points.  That's being pretty generous but at the same time I feel like I'm making progress, so I don't really know how to score things lately.  Wake saw too many snoozes to really be worth any credit, but I think the 1/2-point reflects how I'm feeling.  Sleep was largely the same: I overshot bedtime to watch shows with MFG, and then even when I was in bed I stayed up too late crushing candy before powering down and getting some sleep.  Move gets no points since I didn't do anything more physical than replace a burned-out light bulb in Bubbles' bedroom.  Most of my evening was spent doing home-office stuff for the first of the month, which was productive and helpful.

Eat was fine.  I started the day with a pair of boiled eggs and a banana.  Lunch was leftover grilled chicken breast and roasted cauliflower, and since that was pretty light and since my coworker got ditched by her ride to lunch I volunteered to drive the crew to the mini-mart.  That resulted in a small supplemental sub for me, then later in the afternoon I added some peanut butter crackers (not the cheesy kind this time).  Dinner was MFG's meatloaf with mashed potatoes and peas, which was all outstanding and which I probably ate more than I needed to.  That topped off the day at 2356 kcal with no further snacking.

In spite of the low score it was a pretty good day, and now I'm feeling recovered enough to tackle the final gym session of this challenge after work today.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

Thanks for chiming in, everyone.  I really enjoyed your input.  As I was thinking about what I want I realized that my ideal method would be to lace up the skates and go smack the puck around for a good long while.  And that spurred a further realization that I'm still not satisfied with my current situation.  This town flatly sucks in terms of what's available to non-military adults (and not just recreationally--the economics are screwed, too).  It may be time to start looking harder at moving on.

https://www.usajobs.gov/Search/?l=San Antonio%2C Texas

;) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I looked closer, about 20 pages in you get specific listings.

I'll go hunting later, maybe something will crop up.  We just found out that my recently-retired supervisor's position is being reclassified to require a professional license, so that takes me out of the running. :rolleyes:  It's past time for me to buckle down, document my experience history, and get to testing for licensure anyway, but there's no way to get that done before we hire a new branch chief.  Although in looking at openings today I started noodling a career shift anyway.  I wonder what it takes to become a CPA...

...for an NHL team. ;)

Still can't see deffy's gif from home, perhaps I'm just not meant to. :(

I pretty nearly killed myself at the gym today.  It was relatively epic. B)  And then my dinner was two western bacon cheeseburgers from Carl's Jr. :D  Now I'm going to chill with my boys for the rest of the night while MFG and Bubbles are at her troop event.

Just one more day of this challenge, and my only goal for tomorrow is to eat on target.  Then I'll get a final check-in before church on Sunday and prior to stuffing myself with football snacks during the Super Bowl. :lol:  Monday I'll be right back at it with y'all.

• Like 7

W4D6 - 2 points.  Wake was a bust after way too many snoozes, but the rest of the day was right on track.  Eat was bang on:  I skipped breakfast and enjoyed a large and slightly-early lunch of leftover meatloaf, peas, and roasted cauliflower; then I added a pack of peanut-butter crackers in the early afternoon; after the gym I drove through Carl's Jr. for a pair of cheeseburgers (with a BOGO coupon), all of which left just enough room in my day for a brownie once I got home. :) That was 2334 well-earned-and-enjoyed kcal.

Move was great!  I did the full warm-up, and my wrists and shoulders are finally starting to feel a bit more strong and flexible.  Then I went after the bodyline drills and finally got the reverse plank for a full minute!  For skill work I omitted supports, but handstands managed three holds of 40 seconds with about 90 seconds of rest between them.  I started the strength phase with pull-ups, dips, and leg-raises; all of which saw mild increases over last time.  Then I did deadlifts as a stand-alone, starting with warm-ups of 5 reps at 135 lbs. and 225 lbs. before loading up the work set to 335 lbs.  First set only got two reps since the plates started to slide and my grip went away (after all the hanging exercises, my grip was trashed), but the following sets were good for the full 5 reps each.  Then it was on to super-setting push-ups and horizontal pulls, both of which are progressing nicely, if slowly.  During rests I did a bunch of static stretching for lower body.  I feel pretty good about how things are coming along.

The rest of the evening was pretty chill.  I picked up the boys and took them home so MFG and Bubbles could do their troop dinner party in relative peace.  The four of us played NHL on the PS4 and took turns challenging each other in chess while the others were playing their match-ups.  Boomer and I need to do a chess tie-breaker today since we got one each. ;)  Then the girls came home and we got everyone squared away for bed.  It was a very good day.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

Then I went after the bodyline drills and finally got the reverse plank for a full minute!

tumblr_oq9g2lvKpF1rk1d0do1_250.gif

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ensi said:

tumblr_oq9g2lvKpF1rk1d0do1_250.gif

I was thinking of getting to tell you and Shello about it the whole time. B)

All done!  Let's run it to the end zone.

W4D7 - 1 point.  I maintained my discipline and nutrified myself properly.  There may have been a few brownies in the afternoon, but total kcal for the day was fine.  Even though there were no other goals I stayed fairly active, got a lot of things done, and enjoyed my rest, too.

Challenge 18-1 Check-in.  Well, Week 1 was good. :lol:  The following weeks were a battle to get established with my new 2018 routine.  Once I started steering in to the skid things seemed to regain a sense of balance and I ended on a decently solid Week 4.  It's a decisive win to have prevented a major crash-and-burn.

This week's check in is unchanged from last week: exact same weight (233.1 lbs.), same belt notch (39), same progress photo...

TfVwLz8.jpg

...except for the shorter beard. ;)  I got tired of getting it stuck in the zipper on my coat, so it got a good trim.  Also, I do not have a massive tumor on my right wrist, so everyone wave hi to MFG's heel. :lol:

In terms of my overall progress, well, I was hoping for a loss of between 6 and 8 pounds of bodyweight.  Instead I barely managed four, and all of that was in the first week.  I also intended to develop some stability and consistency with my new regimen, and that failed pretty hard while I experimented with variables and battled mood demons.  Eating was all over the place until I simplified it in Week 4.  Exercise was hard to get excited about, but I'm moving in the right direction with it.  Sleep was half-hearted, and Wake wasn't even half of that.

That said, I think I've got a smart way to progress now, and with some minor tweaking of my nutrition I should be able to get the furnace stoked up for more fat burning as I continue to work on getting stronger and more flexible while being deliberate about rest and recovery.

So that's it for this one; I'm going to take a full break today and come back at it strong tomorrow with a rebooted spreadsheet and some legitimately moderate enthusiasm. :)  See y'all in the next one.

• Like 9

22 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

Move was great!  I did the full warm-up, and my wrists and shoulders are finally starting to feel a bit more strong and flexible.  Then I went after the bodyline drills and finally got the reverse plank for a full minute! 

1 hour ago, DrFeelgood said:

I was thinking of getting to tell you and Shello about it the whole time. B)

Image result for not worthy gif

If that's not proof of some genuine progress this challenge I'm not sure what is.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1