The Avalanche Starts with The Pebbles

I've been lurking around for awhile, especially during my "I have to get in shape phases," but I've never before signed up for the community or engaged, which is almost certainly more than half of the "secret sauce" of NF. Building relationships helps to build commitment. Always "planned" on joining but never made the time. I've been doing the 30 to 40 pound yo-yo for the last 3 years. However, I realize rather than dieting and returning I need to build habits that encourage the lifestyle I want to live. 

I'm near the top of the arc, so even my "big" clothes are starting not to fit, and I'm having to go to biggest. I always exercise sporadically so I have some stamina, its ensuring routine that I fail at. Still I am going to have crawl before I can walk, and walk before I can run. And at points I'm sure I will need someone to carry me. My other big challenge is a relatively intense job that involves lots of late nights/travel/receptions. I often find myself trapped in situations where I have 15 minutes to eat, or I have to be out a restaurant with people. 

My overall epic theme is live much more intentionally. To me this means developing the habits and routines that lead to where I want to be. 

For this challenge my goals are to start a healthy routine in the morning. So:

1) Wake Up - Push my wake up time back 15 minutes each week to 6:45 am. 

1)  Exercise - Minimum of 20 minutes (bike or walking) 3x a week for the first 2 weeks. Minimum of 30 minutes 3x a week for the next 3. Ultimately, the goal is to turn this into daily exercise habit that incorporates a rotation of cardio/body weight, but that as they say, is for a future challenge. 

2) Breakfast - I have the horrible habit of skipping breakfast in order to sleep a few more minutes (See the relation to goal 1!). I am the ultimate Get up, shower, shave, get dressed, leave guy. Totally shockingly, I'm starving by lunch and order too much of the wrong things. So I'd like to add in some sort of breakfast at least 4x a week. Epic goal is to turn this into getting my diet to a much healthier place.

3) Spirituality/Daily Reading - I will do a 5 minute reading in the morning while drinking coffee. While I read voraciously, it tends to be at random times and either history or science fiction.  Instead, I'd like to take a few minutes each day to read purposefully about my faith and take a few minutes to respond to it. Ultimately, I would like to develop this into a practice of daily reading, journaling, and meditation. 

While I am just posting now, I have been doing all four since the Jan 1 with success. I'll go through all that in a Friday recap tomorrow. Time to keep it up. 

• Like 3

Hey @MuadDib! Hello and welcome!!

tenor.gif

I can tell you've put a lot of thought into your goals, and that's awesome!

On 1/4/2018 at 11:38 PM, MuadDib said:

I have the horrible habit of skipping breakfast in order to sleep a few more minutes (See the relation to goal 1!). I am the ultimate Get up, shower, shave, get dressed, leave guy.

I had to smile at this, because I may be a woman, but I'm whatever you would call the female equivalent of a get-up-shower-shave-dress-leave guy.  :)  I have coffee for breakfast most days ... and forget my lunch at home in my rush ... and arrive home having eaten nothing but a granola bar and ready to inhale the whole pantry. So, all that to say that I feel your pain on regulating your intake and distributing it across the day - I'm still working on that too!

How are things going after the weekend? Do you still feel like you're on track?

SKY ELVENWORD

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 42

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

Books in Progress:

Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (24%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%)  |  Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (0%) 
Books Finished:
Captivating (100%)  |  The Prodigal God (100%)  |  Not Yet Married (100%)  |  Gentle and Lowly (100%)

Thanks for the welcome Sky. Despite the great winter boom of 2018, I managed to stay mostly on track and meet or beat all goals.

Week 1 Results:

1) Wake Up - Time push back to 8:00am. 

Success rate: 4/5. Snow day meant I took a day off

2)  Exercise - 20 minutes on bike. Too cold for the outdoors. 3/3.

3) Breakfast - Had breakfast everyday. 6/6

4) Daily Reading - 6/6. 

No great revelations or accomplishments yet, but I feel like I am building a habit and consistency. 

winter.gif

• Like 1

Hey Muad! Checking in again!

tenor.gif 

How is the habit-building going? Week 1 looked great, by the way!!

SKY ELVENWORD

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 42

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

Books in Progress:

Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (24%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%)  |  Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (0%) 
Books Finished:
Captivating (100%)  |  The Prodigal God (100%)  |  Not Yet Married (100%)  |  Gentle and Lowly (100%)

On 1/9/2018 at 11:18 AM, MuadDib said:

No great revelations or accomplishments yet, but I feel like I am building a habit and consistency. 

I'm pretty sure your update is considered an accomplishment! You are killin it!

I'm a no breakfast person, too. And I've come to embrace it. I say screw everyone who says "breakfast is the most important meal of the day"! (Sorry, rebellious nature breaking through.) But seriously, I have found that I don't get hungry until about 10 or 11am. And then I will eat a bit to carry me over til lunch, which is often not til 2 or 3. I also have a crazy job where I often don't get a chance to eat at all til evening. (I get to watch other people eat while I continue to work, though!) And I'm not organized or planful enough (yet) to pack meals. So I keep healthy-ish snacks in my car, which I dub "car food", and munch on that driving between gigs. Then once I get home, I eat a ton! I used to feel guilty about this pattern, but it actually works pretty well for me. And then I discovered the Nerd Fitness...oh what do they call it...intermittent fasting plan (or something like that) and noticed HEY! that's how I eat anyway! I'm not really sure why they suggest intermittent fasting, though. Why is that a good thing? I don't know. :) But I will take it as a positive for myself and move on.

Ok I'm talking too much already so I will shut up and go find something to eat because it is now almost 11:30 and I AM getting hungry finally. Have a great rest of your week and keep up the great work!