• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Radost

Radost gets radtastic

Hiiiiiii!

I've been reading NerdFitness for a few years now and allllmost signed up for challenges on  a couple of occasions but I lacked courage and failed quest #1. But I’m in a place now where I think some accountability and maybe a little cheerleading would really help me get back on track with my fitness and life goals. 

I’m a childcare professional and all-around geek, but my major passions are board games, knitting, and music. I’m also somehow playing in two D&D games right now and I just painted my first mini for one of them. Now there’s a rabbit hole to fall into...!

I have two main Big Goals right now: to get my body back into the shape it was a couple years ago, only without the part where I was turbo-powered by heartbreak; and to get my home in better shape, in the short term to make it easier for my partner to move in when one of my roommates moves out, and in the long term so I can sell the house for a price that will allow my fella and me to buy something together that doesn’t have a lingering aura of broken dreams. Wow, that got a bit dark there.  2016 was a rough year. 2018’s gonna be kickass, though. 

And the small goals for the next few weeks:

-weekly run, strength training session, and yoga

I’m going to try out Track Yoga, which a friend recommended, and maybe intersperse it with a few of my fave Yoga With Adrienne short sequences. Running should only be a small challenge as it’s been a long time since I went more than two weeks without. Strength training, I plan to hit the gym every week on Wednesday or Thursday but will use my home weights to do a shorter workout if I don’t have time to get out. 

-make dinners where half my plate is veggies 5x/week

I was doing really well with this two years ago but when I started dating I was quickly seduced into a sort of “date night doesn’t count” mentality, which was fine when dinners with my sweetie were a weekly occurrence, but over the past year it’s become more common and snuck into my solo cooking as well. In order to make this work, I need to remind myself of the multitudinous veggies I love, because I’m kind of tired of spinach, broccoli, and green beans. 

-low-sugar breakfast 4x/week

Replace the sweet yogurt I usually put on my cereal with plain or milk, or choose something less sweet like eggs, or toast with almond butter. 

-Facebook-light Fridays 

Friday mornings, no Facebook while I get ready for work. Hopefully this will give me enough time to fit in :10-15 of yoga, or at least :5 tidying the kitchen. If I want to amuse myself while eating breakfast, I can read a paper book. 

-the life-changing magic of holy **** I have too much stuff

I admit, I’m a Kon-Mari person. But not a minimalist. Instead, my joy is sparked by alllll my wonderful things! But my craft supplies desperately need a good organizing/destash. Step one in the goal of Make Room For Mr. Radost. 

OMG clearing out crap and making your house actually feel like one instead of a storage hovel is an amazing feeling. I loved reading Life Changing Magic, but her methods were too overwhelming for me. It did help change my mindset though to where I feel way more comfortable getting rid of stuff. We've been working on that for the past year or two and when I look around and just see my home, not piles of clutter, it's so invigorating. So good luck with that. I know it will make a difference.

Obviously good luck with everything health and fitness wise as well. I'm a newb too so not much I can add : p

Yeah, a lot of the specifications of the method are...silly, and I liked to think of myself as following the spirit of Kon-Mari most excellently by keeping only the instructions that sparked joy. ;) I did the whole category-by-category tidy in 2015 and have loved the results, including how it’s changed my thoughts about what I bring into my life to begin with. It really is a great feeling to feel like you control your stuff instead of the other way around!

Good luck with your fitness journey, too! 

Yesterday was semi-successful but kind of unsatisfying.  The inaugural Facebook-light Friday worked out okay, except that between a dishwasher full of clean dishes and the previous night's pots and pans I spent all my extra time and thensome in the kitchen.  Objectively excellent but not much fun.  Nor did I finish work as early as I hoped, so instead of the run I'd been looking forward to, I busted out a quick Wolverine workout.  Good, but not what I wanted.  Dinner was a little light on the veggies, maybe 1/3 of my plate, so I grabbed a double handful of snap peas for a snack afterwards.  Got too late of a start on today to do much besides work and take a few housework and internet breaks, but maybe I can make a run happen tomorrow after my singing gig.  

if that doesn't Quite seem what you are looking for...

the "woverine workout" seems a little complicated to me.  idk.  there are a hundred zillions workouts

and then there are those (like me) that just do a few simple things I think I understand and call it good enough... ;)

good luck.

6 hours ago, TGP said:

the "woverine workout" seems a little complicated to me.  idk.  there are a hundred zillions workouts

and then there are those (like me) that just do a few simple things I think I understand and call it good enough... ;)

good luck.

Thanks!

The first few times, the Wolverine workout was definitely a bit complicated and I had to read the exercise descriptions carefully and watch the videos to remind myself how to do the moves.  But I've been using this one off and on since it was published, so at this point it was "not what I wanted" mostly because I really, really wanted a run, haha.  I appreciate what strength training has the potential to do for me.  But I like running best.  Or long bike rides (like >60k round trip), but that takes even longer so it's a treat I enjoy a few times a year while my schedule is this busy.  I definitely do just bang out a few reps of random things off the top of my head from time to time, especially in weeks where I have made it to the gym and am looking for a supplementary workout - squats and pushups are my go-to, the former because I rock them, the latter because I totally suck, haha - and I've added shoulder presses because that's my toughest move at the gym, so a little homework seems like a good idea.  

• Like 1

Aww yiss, got out for a sweet run in the rain, so good I added a little under a km to my usual route for funsies. You know that feeling when you come home from an intense day at work and you collapse on the couch like “finally, I can breathe again!”  That’s how I feel when I get in a run after a couple weeks’ break. 

ETA: cooled down with yoga too. Track Yoga seems like a very cool idea but I don’t know if I’ll stick with it - basically, they have a half dozen free sequences, and then you can unlock others either by becoming a paid subscriber ($4/month or $28/year, not bad) or by doing the free sequences enough times to collect yoga bucks or whatchacallems (you get one per sequence and it looks like it takes 20-30 to unlock). 

Edited by Radost

22 hours ago, Radost said:

Aww yiss, got out for a sweet run in the rain, so good I added a little under a km to my usual route for funsies. You know that feeling when you come home from an intense day at work and you collapse on the couch like “finally, I can breathe again!”  That’s how I feel when I get in a run after a couple weeks’ break.

It's a great feeling, I love it! Like a reward for all that hard work :)

On 5-1-2018 at 7:34 AM, Radost said:

and maybe a little cheerleading would really help me

Stuff you get to do to make ambassador on those places...

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor male cheerleader gif

On 5-1-2018 at 7:34 AM, Radost said:

2018’s gonna be kickass, though. 

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor better believe it gif

On 6-1-2018 at 9:45 PM, Radost said:

I busted out a quick Wolverine workout

On 7-1-2018 at 12:23 AM, TGP said:

the "woverine workout" seems a little complicated to me. 

On 7-1-2018 at 6:27 AM, Radost said:

The first few times, the Wolverine workout was definitely a bit complicated

If you like some ass kicking workouts, a couple of other rebels have done the turbulence 500, they are pretty cool too! And next to a large ball and box (or something similar) you don't need any stuff to do it!

Thanks for the cheerleading, @Lateral Planet and @Mr_Willes !  It makes a woman feel right welcome. :D

2dl9my9.gif

21 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

If you like some ass kicking workouts, a couple of other rebels have done the turbulence 500, they are pretty cool too! And next to a large ball and box (or something similar) you don't need any stuff to do it!

Actually, I'm not looking for a new workout at the moment, just trying to tighten up commitment with the ones I'm digging right now.  But when I do want to change things up, I'll know where to come!

~~~

update time!

~~~

I've been doing well on my food goals - even contending with dinner at a restaurant and a friend's house (my D&D group meets at a different person's house for dinner and a game every week - which is awesome, but not everybody is as committed to vegetables as I am...).  Workouts are going to be a challenge this week as I have not been able to make time for yoga or a run yet, and here it is Wednesday already.  I have some me-time planned for tomorrow, though, and it will include a generous yoga sequence because damn, my hips are not. happy. right now.  

Haven't tossed the craft stash yet either, but I did take a good hard look at my DVD collection, which also needs to be downsized.  Both will be hard to cull, and I think only a small amount will actually leave the house.  But they should end up much better organized and tidily stored.  

50 minutes ago, Radost said:

I've been doing well on my food goals - even contending with dinner at a restaurant and a friend's house

Great, these are always so hard, no problem in keeping goals on my own, but with others around... It's like why do i even bother...

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor approves gif

• Haha 1

I thought I was setting myself easy goals but it turns out they’re right in the challenge zone. I’ve managed about 50% on all the weekly stuff: either run and yoga or run and strength training but never all three. Doing great on dinners, not so well on breakfasts. I also have had a pretty terrible cold all week so I’m super impressed with myself just for running on Sunday and kind of at ease with the fact that I chose not to inflict my sneezing on the other gym-goers. I think I’ll still be too sniffly tomorrow, and Thursday I host board games, so it looks like a home workout again this week, but a home workout is still a workout. 

By the looks of it it seems you are doing amazing, no small feat getting stuff done while you have a cold!

On 16-1-2018 at 10:39 PM, Radost said:

I thought I was setting myself easy goals

That's one of the points of the first challenge, just learn how to make a good challenge.

I’ve managed about 50%

Some people need challenges they can ace, some people need to be pushed hard by setting hard goals.

Live and learn, and try to make your next challenge better than your last!

so I’m super impressed with myself

Not just you! You are impressing me too, keep going!!!

On 1/18/2018 at 4:02 AM, Mr_Willes said:

Some people need challenges they can ace, some people need to be pushed hard by setting hard goals.

Live and learn, and try to make your next challenge better than your last!

So true!  I definitely tend toward the former, although I'm not afraid to set challenges I need to work to ace.  I'm definitely motivated more by the feeling of completion/accomplishment than by the lure of a distant star.  I think I hit a good spot with this challenge, but I'm a little disappointed because I have some much tougher goals I need to tackle over the next while and I hoped that my performance in this challenge would leave me feeling more than equal to those future challenges instead of in a position of acknowledging that I will have to go a bit slowly after all.  

aexf6g.gif

I FINALLY MADE IT TO THE GYM!  Geeze, you wouldn't think that would be so hard.  And yet this week was 2x strength training (once at home, once at the gym) and no yoga because apparently I just can't do three things...?  I rocked my run today, though, with an average pace of 6:25/km for about 8k, which is back to my usual speed after having slowed down a fair bit over the last couple months when I was running less and sick more.  ETA: and apparently I timed it perfectly, because the weather before and after has been pretty unpleasant - I don't mind rain, or wind, but both is a bummer - but while I was out on the trail it was brilliantly sunny and I even got a break in the wind for about half my run.  Now if I can catch a break in the drizzle for a PokeGo walk later, my day will be complete.

I totally forgot about Facebook-light Friday yesterday, though.  Whoops.  

Edited by Radost

First week that I managed all three of run/gym/yoga.  Ace.  At least I'm calling it all three...I just ran to/from the gym, which is much shorter than I would usually aim for if I were just out for a run, but it was a total of about 4.5k so not totally negligible.  

Diet goals were not my friend this week.  I ate out a lot (for me), D&D was less veggie-friendly than some weeks, and although I acted on my plan of making my regular cereal with milk instead of sweet yogurt, I kind of undermined the goal by also eating a (small) piece of chocolate cake while waiting for my coffee to brew.  I mean, the cake was there.  I was going to eat it anyway, because throwing out food that delicious is a crime.  But it's not supposed to be breakfast.

Looks like my life goal of purging the craft stash is not going to happen this challenge, unless we can call opening up my fabric bins and going "fuuuuuuuu this is going to be too much work and I'm hardly gonna get rid of anything" succeeding.